OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box Empty Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I took a stab at recreating the PRC-25's spare battery box in 1/6.

Here is my first attempt on regular printer paper (with clear scotch tape as a poor man's laminate).

The stock ACE offering is on top, mine below.
Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 43167631675_0867af4031_c

While checking out the ACE one as a reference I noticed they called it a 'Long Lift Magnesium Battery' instead of 'Long Life'.

Mine may not be 100% but I think it's decent.

I've set it up to do a run of 12 boxes on one page of regular sized printer paper (8-1/2" X 11")
One of the longer 'tail flaps' for the bottom will need to be trimmed, but come assembly time you'll see what I mean when you get there.

Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 30201986608_5b1512f8b9_o
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1772/30201986608_5b1512f8b9_o.jpg

I'm also working on trying to convert Will Eisner's illustrated M16A1 manual to a 1/6 version as well.
Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 44073851321_e2bcca1d81_c
Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 44073851331_daaf3f30bb_c
This may not work as well, as there are a lot of double sided pages that will need to be assembled, so as-is, it's quite thick, but I'll see what I can do.
Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 30206058708_d153844ff2_c

If anyone gives building the battery box a shot, I'd love to see it!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks very promising. And nice of you to share. Something that might help is if you find yourself a little plastic or wood piece with the right dimensions and glue/tape the printed paper over it. Or make an underlying box with sturdier cardboard, before covering that up with the printed paper. That should make it look pretty perfect. It's always difficult to make such small things look right. The manual looks very good to me already.

GubernatorFan wrote:Looks very promising. And nice of you to share. Something that might help is if you find yourself a little plastic or wood piece with the right dimensions and glue/tape the printed paper over it. Or make an underlying box with sturdier cardboard, before covering that up with the printed paper. That should make it look pretty perfect. It's always difficult to make such small things look right. The manual looks very good to me already.

Thanks man. I just pieced this first one together with some tape I had at my desk at work.
Gonna give it another shot at home where I have some better materials on-hand.

I'm hoping to reduce the bulk of the manual, it's basically supposed to be a comic with 30 or so pages. If/when I get that hammered out, I'll toss a link for it up as well.

View user profile
I love stuff like this.

Well done and thank you.

As to the manual...

I spent many hours and wasted much printer ink setting up a printer to do double-sided 1:1 CD inserts. I finally made it happen and kept those settings written down.

I have no doubt you could do the same thing with the manual.

...it was a pain.

View user profile
dadrab wrote:I love stuff like this.

Well done and thank you.

As to the manual...

I spent many hours and wasted much printer ink setting up a printer to do double-sided 1:1 CD inserts. I finally made it happen and kept those settings written down.

I have no doubt you could do the same thing with the manual.

...it was a pain.

Thanks man, hopefully someone can get some use outta this stuff.

I might have to do some Googlin' and find out about doing double-sided printing...may work a lot better than cutting and gluing the pages together.

View user profile
Oh man, the boxes look good! I agree with GubernatorFan that a little something stiffer might really sell the box look (although yours look dynamite in the pics) or maybe just print on a thicker card stock.

That M16 manual is awesome. The history behind it is fascinating, and it's a really cool thing to be reproducing. Double sided printing sucks to do, but it really is the only right answer. Even with double sided printing, you may need to trim down to fewer pages to make it look like a comic. Realistically, the pages would have to be 1/6 the thickness to look in scale. Gluing 2 pages together and you'll sooner have a phone book than a comic.

The chicklets packs you had posted on instagram are looking tight too!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really cool, PM. Until you said something I never would have known that the laminate was tape. Love the mini manual by Eisner.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box TCFITBi
View user profile
ReverendSpooky wrote:Oh man, the boxes look good!  I agree with GubernatorFan that a little something stiffer might really sell the box look (although yours look dynamite in the pics) or maybe just print on a thicker card stock.

That M16 manual is awesome.  The history behind it is fascinating, and it's a really cool thing to be reproducing.  Double sided printing sucks to do, but it really is the only right answer.  Even with double sided printing, you may need to trim down to fewer pages to make it look like a comic.  Realistically, the pages would have to be 1/6 the thickness to look in scale.  Gluing 2 pages together and you'll sooner have a phone book than a comic.

Thanks! Yeah I'm gonna do some experimenting...but I might definitely have to weed out some pages and go for a basic 'look' for the manual.
I do have the whole thing already saved as a .PDF though.

Gonna re-create the cardboard M60 ammo box, too.

View user profile
PickleMunkey wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:Oh man, the boxes look good!  I agree with GubernatorFan that a little something stiffer might really sell the box look (although yours look dynamite in the pics) or maybe just print on a thicker card stock.

That M16 manual is awesome.  The history behind it is fascinating, and it's a really cool thing to be reproducing.  Double sided printing sucks to do, but it really is the only right answer.  Even with double sided printing, you may need to trim down to fewer pages to make it look like a comic.  Realistically, the pages would have to be 1/6 the thickness to look in scale.  Gluing 2 pages together and you'll sooner have a phone book than a comic.

Thanks! Yeah I'm gonna do some experimenting...but I might definitely have to weed out some pages and go for a basic 'look' for the manual.
I do have the whole thing already saved as a .PDF though.

Gonna re-create the cardboard M60 ammo box, too.

That sounds like a solid plan. Looking forward so see all of it come together. Keep meaning to grab a 1:1 copy of that manual too. It really such a cool thing.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
Stryker2011 wrote:Really cool, PM. Until you said something I never would have known that the laminate was tape. Love the mini manual by Eisner.

Thanks man, I'm crafty like that Wink Just gotta snip off the edge from the tape-cutter and apply nice 'n flat, works like a charm!

View user profile
ReverendSpooky wrote:

That sounds like a solid plan.  Looking forward so see all of it come together.  Keep meaning to grab a 1:1 copy of that manual too.  It really such a cool thing.

Appreciate that! Eisner did some really good 'Nam work. Even some drawings for the PRC and Mobile Artillery, and Last Day in Vietnam is great, too.

View user profile
Did up the cardboard ammo box today.

Here's a quick proof.
The Ace piece I used as a reference is on the right.
Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 43189163585_c3357abbb7_c
I did a quick assembly while on a break at work, with my desk tools.

Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 30227686788_477cb3d760_o
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1777/30227686788_477cb3d760_o.jpg

When assembling on a thicker substrate you may want to make a diagonal cut in the bottom of the wide fold panel, and an opposite cut on the 'back' panel (the wide one without wording) so you can inter-lock them for a bit more security.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
One of the things that I’ve done to help make straight bends on items this small is to use a flat metal ruler as a guide. Scoring it works, too, but you run the risk of cutting too deeply on stuff this thin.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box TCFITBi
View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:One of the things that I’ve done to help make straight bends on items this small is to use a flat metal ruler as a guide. Scoring it works, too, but you run the risk of cutting too deeply on stuff this thin.

That's an excellent tip, thanks Mark!

View user profile
Got a Line-only version of the M60 ammo box up.

Printable Vietnam Era PRC-25 Spare Battery Box 44196261981_7a3f326130_b
The grey lines represent the fold lines, and black the cut lines for the flaps.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1835/44196261981_5cdc117144_o.jpg

View user profile
Ammo boxes are looking great too!  And thanks for sharing the files.  Looking forward to seeing these all get worked in to scenes.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
ReverendSpooky wrote:Ammo boxes are looking great too!  And thanks for sharing the files.  Looking forward to seeing these all get worked in to scenes.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how other folks tackle putting these together. Totally up for input and suggestions for improvement when they do.

Also if anyone has suggestions for what else to try and replicate as a printable, that'd be good too!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum