OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Hey all,

I spent some time this weekend looking for something specific, and when I gave up, I figured I'd see about tapping into the considerable knowledge of this community.

I'm trying to find a slightly stylized male head for a project.  I don't want something TOO out there (no Gangster Kingdom or THreeA) but something just a bit off.  The upcoming Jack the Ripper or some of the AX2 stuff are both great examples:

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Jack10

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question 960_re10

Any suggestions come to mind?  Big bonus if it's something actually available (The AX2 stuff is not something I see parted out often).

The the other question is, has anyone come across any spray paint that is a good match for phicen body color?  So, the obvious answer is to mix colors and get an airbrush.  But I'm not great at mixing colors, and haven't decided to make the airbrush investment yet.  I can never get the texture to look right with a brush, although some people can pull it off.  But I started to wonder if anyone made a good matching flesh color spray paint.  I know some of the hobby companies make flesh color sprays, like Tamiya or Montana Gold, but it's hard to compare color just looking online. I think I could pull off some details, like lips and eyes, but it'd be nice to get a good base skin color down smoothly.  This might a good too for some of those Kumik heads that don't match anything.  Thoughts?

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com

2Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:08 pm

How are you, Rev?

I was kind of like you in that I believed I wouldn't be good at doing it. So, I finally tried it and surprised myself. It's not as hard as you might think.

Yellow, burnt umber with a little brown, black or white to lighten or darken will get you a long way. Acrylic paints are inexpensive, so if you piss it up, toss it and start over. I find most flesh colored spray paints to be too brown. Some are too red.

The other thing I do is mix that flesh tone paint pretty thin. You'll want to put several (i.e. 10 - 15) wash coats on. You can actually work with tone matching as you go. Not red enough? Mix a little bit to the color you're already using for the next wash. Here again, if it all goes sideways, toss it and mix up some fresh for the next number of washes.

The one thing you'll have to invest in is a good set of brushes, but that won't be as expensive as an airbrush...which I know NOT one thing about using.

Just one opinion and other options might be much better for you.

I'm trying to give some thought to avant garde sculpts, but nothing's popping to mind right now save for that John Revolta sculpt that Michael Crawford reviewed (Pulp Fiction). It's not an anime type of sculpt, but it's "off" as you say, though not as much as the Gangster Kingdom stuff.

View user profile

3Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 pm

So... not typical human like Heads ?

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Xczvgb10

View user profile

4Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Sorry that was Bad, shame on me Rolling Eyes
If it don´t has to be 100% Human like and You wantsomething special.... give it a chance by do it Yourself. I really want to see a Reverend spooky style sculpt.

https://youtu.be/o0RrzLblwFM?t=56

View user profile

5Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:00 pm

dadrab wrote:How are you, Rev?

I was kind of like you in that I believed I wouldn't be good at doing it. So, I finally tried it and surprised myself. It's not as hard as you might think.

Yellow, burnt umber with a little brown, black or white to lighten or darken will get you a long way. Acrylic paints are inexpensive, so if you piss it up, toss it and start over. I find most flesh colored spray paints to be too brown. Some are too red.

The other thing I do is mix that flesh tone paint pretty thin. You'll want to put several (i.e. 10 - 15) wash coats on. You can actually work with tone matching as you go. Not red enough? Mix a little bit to the color you're already using for the next wash. Here again, if it all goes sideways, toss it and mix up some fresh for the next number of washes.

The one thing you'll have to invest in is a good set of brushes, but that won't be as expensive as an airbrush...which I know NOT one thing about using.

Just one opinion and other options might be much better for you.

I'm trying to give some thought to avant garde sculpts, but nothing's popping to mind right now save for that John Revolta sculpt that Michael Crawford reviewed (Pulp Fiction). It's not an anime type of sculpt, but it's "off" as you say, though not as much as the Gangster Kingdom stuff.

Hey Dadrab!  I've been well.  Sorry if I've been a bit less active day to day here.  Feel like this summer has been excessively hectic.  Too much work, not enough fun.  Been jamming a ton of 1/6 projects into whatever free time I get, and I've got so much I'm dying to photograph and get up here.

Thanks for the painting advice.  I have tried my hand a bit an it.  I've experimented with acrylics, and do have pretty decent brushes.  But I still have a few issues.  I might just be too meticulous, but I just don't love the end texture with acrylics. It's fine for most things, and I use acrylics for most other projects, but for skin, it's just not quite right to me.  And I've tried like hell to to get a color to match (with 1/18 scale figures) but I just can't seem to pull it off to my satisfaction.  

And yeah, I am looking for something that has that slightly anime look to it, without going overboard into full on cartoonish features.  The Jack the Ripper and the Ax2 stuff walks that line perfectly.  I fully realize I might be crap out of luck, but figured someone on here might have seen something that I've missed.

Ephiane wrote:So... not typical human like Heads ?

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Xczvgb10

My god Ephiane! I need something that looks at least a little human!  Laughing

Ephiane wrote:Sorry that was Bad, shame on me Rolling Eyes
If it don´t has to be 100% Human like and You wantsomething special.... give it a chance by do it Yourself. I really want to see a Reverend spooky style sculpt.

https://youtu.be/o0RrzLblwFM?t=56

Ah, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm afraid you over estimate my abilities.  There are certain things I feel comfortable sculpting, and have at times even been happy with the final result.  But faces, especially ones that are the least bit attractive, are well beyond me.  Maybe if I had the time to really hone the skill, but unfortunately, that has been one of my most limited resources lately.

6Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Have you thought of looking at Asia Hobby for 1/6 Animie or Manga character kits? They're quite cheap just thousands to choose from!!

And stop knocking Mickey Rourke, he was a professional boxer and Whiplash one of my favourite characters ever... as well as Harley from 'Harley Davidson And The Malborough Man' my favourite cheesy Biker movie ever! Wink

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Iron-Man-2_pst2_h

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question 107370-1532336916

View user profile

7Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm

shovelchop81 wrote:Have you thought of looking at Asia Hobby for 1/6 Animie or Manga character kits? They're quite cheap just thousands to choose from!!

And stop knocking Mickey Rourke, he was a professional boxer and Whiplash one of my favourite characters ever... as well as Harley from 'Harley Davidson And The Malborough Man' my favourite cheesy Biker movie ever! Wink

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Iron-Man-2_pst2_h

Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question 107370-1532336916

You know, I'll take a look on Asia Hobby. I was actually looking on ebay for 1/6 anime statues, and maybe 1 in 100 were not of girls in extremely compromised positions. But maybe an actual store would have a broader selection. Thanks for the suggestion!

And I only tease about Mickey Rourke. I also have a big soft spot for Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (Don Johnson too!) and choosing him as Marv in Sin City was one of the best casting choices ever.

8Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Yeah... there's a lot of those too! Glad you're a fan of the movie too! Bought the jacket years ago it's a bit too tight now... Embarassed The cigarette and zippo pouches on the sleeve are actually super useful when riding! Wink

EDIT!! OOPS! I was sending you to an airsoft gun parts shop! Too many hobbies! This is where I meant you to look!
http://www.shop2000.com.tw/GK-M

View user profile

9Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:40 am

I knew hobby was in the name some where! Here's the other one:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=1%2f6

View user profile

10Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I like him as Harry Angel in Angel Heart

View user profile

11Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm

shovelchop81 wrote:Yeah... there's a lot of those too! Glad you're a fan of the movie too! Bought the jacket years ago it's a bit too tight now... Embarassed The cigarette and zippo pouches on the sleeve are actually super useful when riding! Wink

EDIT!! OOPS! I was sending you to an airsoft gun parts shop! Too many hobbies! This is where I meant you to look!
http://www.shop2000.com.tw/GK-M

shovelchop81 wrote:I knew hobby was in the name some where! Here's the other one:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=1%2f6

That really is a slick as hell jacket.  And yeah, age seems to have made all my good clothes shrink too Razz

Thanks for the link!  Still haven't found quite what I'm looking for, but that sight really did open up a ton of possibilities. Really might be a great resource for stylized female heads.  

Took a crack last night at using sparay paints to try to match a head to a Phicen body.  After 4 attempts, I admitted defeat and called it quits.  Just couldn't quite get the right look, color or texture wise.  An air brush is looking more and more appealing.

12Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Ephiane wrote:I like him as Harry Angel in Angel Heart

Yes, great film, one of the reasons I smoked Camel cigarettes for many years! Twisted Evil

View user profile

13Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 am

The VeryCool Holy Man head has this 'anime but realistic' style you're talking about. Knockoffs are abundant on ebay. Search for Monk head 1/6:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-6-holy-man-monk-Shao-Lin-action-figure-toy-Not-verycool/152812652910

View user profile

14Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question Empty Re: Stylized 1/6 Heads & Spray Paint Question on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am

ZombieKev wrote:The VeryCool Holy Man head has this 'anime but realistic' style you're talking about.  Knockoffs are abundant on ebay.  Search for Monk head 1/6:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-6-holy-man-monk-Shao-Lin-action-figure-toy-Not-verycool/152812652910

EXACTLY what I was looking for. I really appreciate the heads up.

I actually stumbled on this head Friday night myself, found a US seller, and ordered immediately. I've been anxious for it to come in all weekend, and see if it would look ok with a Phicen body. It arrived this morning, and I'm pleased to say it looks fantastic. The color match isn't perfect, but is well within an acceptable matching range so that it looks good on the body. My plan tonight is to repaint the eyes and add hair. The figure it goes with is coming together awesome, and I can't wait to finish and share pics!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum