OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Daryl Dixon review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Daryl Dixon review Empty Daryl Dixon review Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 pm

michael crawford

The Walking Dead is back in about a month, but Daryl Dixon is already shipping.  I've got my review of him up tonight - not quite Negan or Michonne, but better than most - and you can find it here:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-090518a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Daryl Dixon review Review_wddd_large

2Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for another great review. I see what you mean about the plastic "skin" covering the elbows -- it doesn't look too bad in most shots, but is fairly obvious. I disagree that this always comes off looking bad -- Phicen/TBLeague has generally pulled it off pretty decently, for example. But in this instance, you're definitely right. Somewhere I picked up a custom or third party "real hair" Norman Reedus head sculpt, which perhaps overcomes some of the limitations of this head and hair. In fact I wonder if people don't buy this set or its outfit parted out, and use it on a better body and with a better head.

3Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:59 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty good review; but there are two things I have to counterpoint: I think the likeness to Norman is there in the face, but the hair is driving me nuts — while the strands, as you say, are nicely detailed, the overall paint job makes it look like dirty, plastic spaghetti noodles (this is one that would possibly have benefited from rooted hair).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Daryl Dixon review C8485110

4Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am

dadrab

dadrab
Fair review, indeed...and, of course, excellent photos.

Thank you Michael.

5Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:07 am

blackpool

blackpool
Very cool and fair review, I have to agree with @Stryker about the hair that looks good from far, but still far from good lol

@gubernator, that's a bit of let down on their "seamless" parts, but threezero is making rubber armsleeves over a slim pastic arm, so there is some air inside, even in straight arm position you can squeeze them and feel the void inside, reason why they tend to look ugly once the elbow is bent... They made the same thing on Daenerys and Michonne, and the result is really not good compared to HT seamless arms and legs, and of course compared to phicen/TBleague.

6Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:58 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Despite some of it's flaws, which others have pointed out already, I very much would like to purchase this figure for personal reasons. From all the review videos I've seen, I really like the look of it. And even with the spaghetti noodle hair, lol, I still prefer this official headsculpt to the knock-off heads with rooted hair that I've seen floating around on ebay, for one main reason -- this version looks more like Daryl in Season 4, which was my favourite season (and the last time I cared about the show -- I have pretty much boycotted it since then ;p ).

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick this one up eventually, but I just have one question: is there any major difference between the 'Exclusive' version and the regular version, when it comes to the figure itself? I realize that the Exclusive includes his black long-sleeve shirt (which I admittedly would like to have), but I can't seem to bring myself to justify paying almost twice as much for just one extra item of clothing. But if there was a difference in overall quality of the sculpt or body or something, then that would be a different story.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
There shouldn't be a difference in body or sculpt from the regular to exclusive version. It's all done at the same factory.

8Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, I figured as much, but wanted to check prior to forking over the funds... ;p

9Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
AHH, I caved and got him. I found a decently priced one located in the UK, and could not resist. I've wanted this figure for a while now but was worried because of all the complaints. But from my first impressions and preliminary unboxing, I absolutely ADORE him!! For a 1/6 connoisseur he has several undeniable faults, but for someone who just wanted THAT particular version of the character, he's delightful.

I don't have any pics yet, as I've only just barely handled him and had to put him back in the box straight away due to a lack of secure display area at the moment, but so far I am happy with this purchase. I really like the weathering on his clothing, it's much better and more detailed than I was expecting.

The box itself is simple but attractive -- I was worried it would have images based on later seasons of the show, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the promo pics used were from Season 4, which is my favourite season! My only previous experience with purchasing boxed 1/6 figures thus far is Sideshow and Hot Toys, so I wasn't sure how the overall presentation would compare, but the packaging is nicer than I'd thought it would be.

My biggest complaint about the figure itself would have to be the wrist joints -- I was prepared for this particular fault, but I mean.... WTF. I do NOT get why they would spend so much time on the details, going so far as to 'weathering' his arms with dirt and bruises, only to completely FAIL to cover his damn wrist joints??? It's a pretty glaring flaw, even to my relatively inexperienced eyes, and one I am already thinking of ways to cover up. This is where I wish the regular version of this figure came with the long-sleeved shirt, as now I'm going to have to scrounge around to find a suitable stand-in for it. But I simply could not justify paying an extra 150 GBP for ONE shirt....I mean, that is just ridiculous, even for this hobby. -_-

Prior to getting this figure, my main concern had been the sculpted hair -- from the production photos, it looked TERRIBLE. But in person, I found it didn't seem *that* bad. The paint job has a bit more detail when closely scrutinized than first appears. Oddly enough, I think this is one of those that looks better in-hand than it does in photos. The hair strands may not look 100% to-scale, but they don't look as ugly as I'd feared. It's a matter of personal taste, but I greatly prefer this official headsculpt to the custom/knock-off one with 'real' hair that is floating around on ebay. I like my Daryl to look a bit more 'burly' than the overly-gaunt version of the later seasons.

Despite its flaws, this figure captures *MY* preferred version of this character, so all in all, I am very pleased. ^.^

10Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:My biggest complaint about the figure itself would have to be the wrist joints -- I was prepared for this particular fault, but I mean.... WTF. I do NOT get why they would spend so much time on the details, going so far as to 'weathering' his arms with dirt and bruises, only to completely FAIL to cover his damn wrist joints??? It's a pretty glaring flaw, even to my relatively inexperienced eyes, and one I am already thinking of ways to cover up. This is where I wish the regular version of this figure came with the long-sleeved shirt, as now I'm going to have to scrounge around to find a suitable stand-in for it. But I simply could not justify paying an extra 150 GBP for ONE shirt....I mean, that is just ridiculous, even for this hobby. -_-

Glad you like him. As far as the wrists, I know it may not be canon, but have you thought about using some black leather to make a couple simple wrist cuffs.

11Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks! And yeah , you are right , something like that would suffice for now until I can find a longsleeve shirt, and would still allow the option of showing his arms. ;D

12Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:43 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

He isn't bad, you certainly know who it is.

CHEERS!

13Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:46 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks! And yeah , you are right , something like that would suffice for now until I can find a longsleeve shirt, and would still allow the option of showing his arms. ;D

I don’t know if I’d even put a shirt on him myself. I always kind of liked that lean-muscled, bare-armed look of his.

14Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks! And yeah , you are right , something like that would suffice for now until I can find a longsleeve shirt, and would still allow the option of showing his arms. ;D

I don’t know if I’d even put a shirt on him myself. I always kind of liked that lean-muscled, bare-armed look of his.

Yeah, of course -- that's more of his iconic Look (TM), imo. And I'm glad they went with that as the default on the figure, as other than the ridiculous wrists, the bare arms look good. For regular display, that's how I'd keep him too. : )

That said, I do at least want the *option* of putting a longsleeve shirt on him -- not even so much for the wrist issue (which as you've noted is easily solvable in other ways), but moreso due to wanting the freedom to reenact scenes in which he's wearing long sleeves under his vest. (I've got some very particular plans for this figure, lol.)

Speaking of which, I may have found a potential 1/6 shirt (would just need some weathering), but I'm trying to make sure it would actually fit him since it seems tailored for a slimmer figure. Or maybe just mimicking men's fashion these days... Razz

15Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That shirt should work with his frame; he looks to be on a slim body (as he should be); Norman's in good shape, but he's fairly lean.

I want that vest (I wear one like that when I'm on my bike -- though mine has a demon skull on the back -- and a couple patches on the front); but unfortunately, the few times I've seen them parted out they were going for obscene prices.

16Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:50 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:That shirt should work with his frame; he looks to be on a slim body (as he should be); Norman's in good shape, but he's fairly lean.

I want that vest (I wear one like that when I'm on my bike -- though mine has a demon skull on the back -- and a couple patches on the front); but unfortunately, the few times I've seen them parted out they were going for obscene prices.

Thanks for the input -- I'll probably pick it up as it's the only shirt like it i've found anywhere thus far...

And yeah, I know what you mean. If I ever see one for even halfway decent price, I'll let you know!

17Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:05 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
For @Stryker -- you mentioned you were looking for one, and I just came across this, though I'm guessing shipping from UK to US might make it a bit on the pricier side:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThreeZero-The-Walking-Dead-TWD-Daryl-Dixon-Winged-Vest-loose-1-6th-scale/113636033169

18Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:For @Stryker -- you mentioned you were looking for one, and I just came across this, though I'm guessing shipping from UK to US might make it a bit on the pricier side:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThreeZero-The-Walking-Dead-TWD-Daryl-Dixon-Winged-Vest-loose-1-6th-scale/113636033169

Thanks. But I already ordered this one off Etsy, that is the same pattern as my real one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/233211949/black-motorcycle-simulated-leather?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=1%2F6+scale+biker+vest&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

19Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:11 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh gotcha ! I wasn’t sure if you wanted the original or not, but I’m glad you found one even more suited to your needs. Smile

20Daryl Dixon review Empty Re: Daryl Dixon review Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Best to PM links to stuff on eBay and Etsy, that way, whoever wants it sees it and gets it without anyone beating you to it.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum