OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vikings Vanquisher Viking Ship Diorama Coomodel Review

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

shazzdan

Rogerbee wrote:That said, there could have been some artistic license.

Maybe if it was only one source. I've given you three independent sources that all show painted hulls.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Very true, I don't doubt they may have been painted, but, it's still hard to tell exactly what they looked like.

Take Tudor portraits, they reflected an artistic style and never truly captured the actual likeness of the person. When they did the forensic reconstruction of Richard III over his actual skull, he looked unlike any painting of him at all.

CHEERS!

Allotropos

Allotropos
I found 2 sites showcasing 1/6 scale viking ships for us all to admire :
patchesofpride
Viking Boat 1/6 Scale

I don't know if they are historically accurate (or if the builders knew it) but dangit - anyone who can build something like that really deserves my respect regardless as they are simply gorgeous !!

shazzdan

shazzdan
Allotropos wrote:I found 2 sites showcasing 1/6 scale viking ships for us all to admire :
patchesofpride
Viking Boat 1/6 Scale

I don't know if they are historically accurate (or if the builders knew it) but dangit - anyone who can build something like that really deserves my respect regardless as they are simply gorgeous  !!

Very very cool. It is pretty pathetic that no American museum was interested in the first one because the ship wasn't American.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Allotropos wrote:I found 2 sites showcasing 1/6 scale viking ships for us all to admire :
patchesofpride
Viking Boat 1/6 Scale

I don't know if they are historically accurate (or if the builders knew it) but dangit - anyone who can build something like that really deserves my respect regardless as they are simply gorgeous  !!

Very cool finds, Allotropos, thank you for sharing them with us! It does show how truly massive these would be in sixth scale. I agree they are gorgeous, and they do seem accurate overall. The fact one of them was shown able to float is in itself a testimony to accuracy. 1/1 scale replicas based on the famous Oseberg ship had failed to float because the modern restoration had inadvertently shortened the vessel a little bit -- only after the realization of this and compensating for it did a modern replica actually succeed (see HERE). I do have my doubts about the design of some of the shields (especially on the American version) and see shazzdan's evidence above for the painted planks, but still very cool. My Viking action figures would have loved them, for sure.

shazzdan wrote:Very very cool. It is pretty pathetic that no American museum was interested in the second one because the ship wasn't American.

I agree... and am appalled that the curators of these collections were so ignorant as to ignore Leif Eiriksson and all that. Admittedly, they tend to be modernists, and even if they were aware, they are probably dealing with limited space, and the item being offered to them was not only space-consuming but also a modern scale model rather than an actual artifact. But even so, this seems quite unfortunate.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Rather impressive!

CHEERS!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the detailed review of this!

Admittedly, I normally don't even look twice at a lot of these 1/6 'Viking' figures and accessories, etc, because they look so incredibly wrong to my eyes. I have an M.A. in medieval studies, specializing in Viking and Anglo-Saxon period, and have spent a lot of time doing historical reenactment and living history in the UK and Scandinavia. I can't even watch that Vikings tv-show because the aesthetic is like the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me. -_-

That being said, this ship (or partial ship, I should say) is decent enough for what it is, and seems to make a very nice photography backdrop at the very least. I can actually see some uses for it, as my husband and I put on an annual Folk and Viking metal festival, and this could be a really fun prop to use with promo materials.  Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the detailed review of this! Admittedly, I normally don't even look twice at a lot of these 1/6 'Viking' figures and accessories, etc, because they look so incredibly wrong to my eyes. ... I can actually see some uses for it, as my husband and I put on an annual Folk and Viking metal festival, and this could be a really fun prop to use with promo materials.  Smile

Thanks, glad you liked the review (and the product, though I have no vested interest in it). And I agree. They are very much fantasy Vikings, somewhat like the ones on the show (where the general historical inaccuracies are already enough to cringe at, never mind the biker gang design). The ship can pass, and can be customized to look more accurate with some paint (as discussed above in the thread). Keep in mind that both the box(es) and the piece are quite hefty.

Peaches

Peaches
Oh wow, that's a neat setup. I wouldn't know about painting it?? I mean, you'd have to see if or what colors they had available to them at that time. movies seem to depict everything in natural wood or black or some such?? Very fun though!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Oh wow, that's a neat setup.  I wouldn't know about painting it?? I mean, you'd have to see if or what colors they had available to them at that time.  movies seem to depict everything in natural wood or black or some such??  Very fun though!

Thank you. And I agree. I am a little reluctant to experiment without a lot more to go on. If you liked this, you might like the linked review of the CooModel (fantasy) Vikings, too.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
patchesofpride
Viking Boat 1/6 Scale

I just clicked the links to these and, ahhhhhhh!!!!!! that's MY kinda thang right there!! Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Peaches wrote:Oh wow, that's a neat setup.  I wouldn't know about painting it?? I mean, you'd have to see if or what colors they had available to them at that time.  movies seem to depict everything in natural wood or black or some such??  Very fun though!

A good rule of thumb is that anything you see in the movies is wrong. We know what colours they had because we have plenty of wooden artefacts with paint on them. Not a lot of ships but plenty of other wooden items. By the time these things are dug up, most of the paint had gone but traces remain on some. When you combine this with illustrations like those presented above, the only conclusion is that they painted at least some of their ships. A lot of artefacts have had to be analysed again to specifically look for traces of paint because when they were first discovered nobody thought to look for paint.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum