OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Concerning the OSW

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Concerning the OSW Empty Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
In case folks are interested, they seem to have fixed the login issue over at OSW. You can now login (but you'll probably have to start with one of those random ones first), get to your settings, and update/save a new password. I was able to get on this morning, but I don't think I'll be staying, or going back.
As many of you know, last weekend, I sent out a blanket PM to about a dozen members whose usernames I could remember, before I couldn't get back on again (today being the 1st day I was able to get back on). I had received PMs back from some of those members (many of whom are now here), but was unable to read them until today. Among those messages was a PM from Li (the new webmaster/admin guy over there) which had been sent to me on Wednesday (again, nothing I could read until today). This is what he had to say:

"Hi there,

I've been notified for a couple of days that your account has been hitting our spam protection filter. A link has been sent out to many users from your account on the forum. Our Canadian Anti-Spam Law protects users from receiving unwanted solicitation. Can you explain what is happening?

Li"

So... apparently, sending folks a link to this site is a big no-no through PMs. Just wanted to let you all know. Frankly, I don't really care for the tone his message implies, and as far as I'm concerned I won't be going back to OSW.

#discussion

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Concerning the OSW C8485110

2Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:09 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
SO . . .

Did you reply back to him?

If yes, how you did reply?

I suspect sharing the link to here could possibly be considered as spam even though in the past I've heard/read of other members sharing links to new 1:6 groups via posts or through PM at the OSW.

The last thing the OSF needs/wants is any type of forum rivalry perceived or real. The context and goal/intent of the OSF is clearly stated below the group's banner.

I hope the majority will see it for what it is. Experience tells me some may not for a variety of reasons. We'll just do our thing here. If any of us still remain there and visit here as well, then so be it. That's our right to do so. It's not like any 1:6 discussion group have a hold/lock on where 1:6 hobbyists can visit.

3Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I replied rather vaguely, but politely. But, yeah, I find the situation a little hypocritical on his part (I mean, sending a link to a similar site is frowned upon, but unsolicited and often area specific ads for crap that has nothing to do with the hobby is somehow okay...). Where's there spam-bot for that?

4Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Perfect Figure Toys

Perfect Figure Toys
Maybe one of the members there reported it? Possibly someone with an axe to grind or someone who didn't appreciate a new venue option?

5Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:35 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
The new owners of the OSW rely upon ads as revenue.  So did the previous owners, but I suspect the new owner to be more dependent/reliant on ads due to the nature of the business.  In addition, maintaining the subscriber base could be a priority for them and losing members in the long run works against their business model. As far as I know, none of the current staff have (or inclined) to disclose any further information about the new owners asides from the VS admin Lee/Li.

Even though a fair number of members there have taken measures to mitigate the bothersome and intrusive ads using a variety of browser extensions, some members are not necessarily aware and inclined to do such for a variety of reasons.  That's on them.  Thus far, the only ad we're aware of through Forumotion is the ad in the banner that some see and some don't and it's supposedly low key.

From my perspective, there is no reason for any animosity or jealousy between them and us.  Why should there be?  Past instances of others joining another group or starting up their own group occurred and it wasn't an issue.  Ours is no different.

No need to go look for a fight or a reason to fight.  As another member posted/said in another discussion . . . "live and let live".

OR . . . as I would put it in my own "style" . . .

So what if another stripper copied your act and outfit for the dance stage?  She's not necessarily going to be drawing or making the same $ as you.  Just be yourself and make the $ because there are patrons who come to throw their $ looking at your t*ts and @$$ when you're on the stage.

6Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:38 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
I wondering if any the 1:6 businesses we know are still spending $ on advertising at the OSW and are they in the know about what's going? They do really know exactly "what" their monthly advertising $ is being spend on/used for?

7Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:46 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
A longtime member there just posted about virus warnings when attempting to login over there.

As a precaution, anyone logging into OSW please make sure your anti-virus is up to date.

It's not the first time such occurred, but please remain cautious/guarded.

8Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:59 pm

onesixthwarrior

onesixthwarrior
For my needs OSF has quickly replaced OSW. I'm saddened by what's happened to OSW, but lately I've been getting an ad that locks the browser on my phone. It's clearly malware as it purports to be a warning from Google that my phone is infested with viruses and its death is imminent. The URL isn't Google.
Any site that allows such rogues to operate on their platform, especially after they've been reported (along with their URL), isn't worth my time.

9Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Several points:

Most importantly, as already pointed out above, OSF is not intended as any sort of exclusive alternative to OSW. It might be appropriate to limit OSW-related discussions to OSW itself, and provide feedback about that site's performance to Li/Lee, who appears to be in earnest trying to sort things out, at least where purely technical and functional issues are concerned. As for advertising and malware, some of this (the latter) is probably addressable and actionable there.

So far I have been lucky to not run into these issues on the old site, or for that matter here. That said, misleading malware (perhaps merely the kind that is trying to get you to buy their products rather than actually infecting your system) infests some of the websites we frequent -- I have noticed much of it with Monkey Depot and Sideshow Freaks, and on much rarer occasions with Cotswold and Toy Anxiety (they seem to have addressed the problem since). Just remember to not be taken in. Sometimes you have to restart your browser. I hope we never see the like of this here, but who knows...

The spam warning from the old web site, is something I ran into when I sent invitations. I explained the situation and was thanked but asked to end the practice, as it amounted to spam and solicitation. Although we did not intend it this way and we don't see it this way, there is a plausible argument for this being described as "unsolicited" or "solicitation" by some definition. Also, sending multiple messages with identical content and identical links may very well have triggered a red flag; that does seem to be how the technology works. So no need to take this personally or interpret it as a sign of jealous resentment.

10Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Andrew

Andrew
I left OSW and MWD a while ago and wont be going back for al the tea in china.

This place looks fun

"I don't plan to die," she laughed, flicking the safety off the chrome plated desert eagle, "But if I do, I'll see you in heaven, little brother. I’ll be the one ramming the harp up St Peter’s tight little asspipe.”  

The Life of Lol.

11Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I would understand VS getting antsy if they actually listed OSW in the hobbies section of the forums they own, but, they don't. A glance at the ones that are shows sites like this one, with in house admins and mods with no presence of VS in evidence.

I was under the impression that most of the techs and mods from OSW went when VS took over, which rather left them holding the baby, which now is long overdue for a diaper change.

Anyway, it's time now to leave OSW behind us all and get on with making this the place it once was

CHEERS!

12Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 pm

DeltaForceChung

DeltaForceChung
Mike (pukingdog) just posted this on Facebook.

Concerning the OSW Osw_ca10

I guess things are not necessarily going well there behind the scenes.

13Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Has anyone reached out to Mike to let him know about this place? I feel for all of them; that used to be my favorite place to go.... now, let it burn.

14Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Easy, guys. Even if you don't like it there (however justified the reason), you can hopefully enjoy it here without denigrating our former home which has fallen on troubled times. Mike is welcome here like everyone else, and I have reason to believe he knows that.

15Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Stryker2011 wrote:Among those messages was a PM from Li (the new webmaster/admin guy over there) which had been sent to me on Wednesday (again, nothing I could read until today). This is what he had to say:

"Hi there,

I've been notified for a couple of days that your account has been hitting our spam protection filter. A link has been sent out to many users from your account on the forum. Our Canadian Anti-Spam Law protects users from receiving unwanted solicitation. Can you explain what is happening?

Li"

So... apparently, sending folks a link to this site is a big no-no through PMs. Just wanted to let you all know. Frankly, I don't really care for the tone his message implies, and as far as I'm concerned I won't be going back to OSW.

#discussion

Canadian Anti Spam Law restricts itself to Commercial Electronic Messages in a connection with a commercial activity, so to put it bluntly, Li trying to scare off someone sending Private Messages telling people that OSF exists is pretty much blowing smoke where smoke shouldn't be blown.  Voluntary two-way communications between individuals would be exempt even if they did have a business subject (which OSF isn't anyway).  See below from https://www2.deloitte.com/ca/en/pages/risk/articles/canada-anti-spam-law-casl-faq.html

1. What is CASL?

CASL is a new anti-spam law that will apply to all electronic messages (i.e. email, texts) organizations send in connection with a “commercial activity.” Its key feature requires Canadian and global organizations that send commercial electronic messages (CEMs) within, from or to Canada to receive consent from recipients before sending messages. CASL does not apply to CEMs that is simply routed through Canada.

2. What’s the definition of a “commercial electronic message” (CEM)?

A CEM is any electronic message that encourages participation in a commercial activity, such as an email that contains a coupon or tells customers about a promotion or sale. That said, a message that includes hyperlinks to a website or contains business-related information does not make it a CEM.

CEMs must be sent to an electronic address to be caught by CASL. Confirmations of successful unsubscribes, courtesy SMS sent to roaming customers, and publication of blog posts on micro-blogging and social media sites are out of scope.

16Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
So, in other words, Li was just trying to get me to “shut up”...

17Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Stryker2011 wrote:So, in other words, Li was just trying to get me to “shut up”...

Bluntly I would say so, yes.

There is also this:

5. Can consent be implied?

Yes. Organizations don’t need express consent to send a CEM in the context of an existing business or non-business relationship, or if recipients conspicuously publish their electronic contact information or voluntarily disclose it without indicating they don’t want to receive communications.

The OSW PM system is exactly that, a private close messaging system specifically only individual member to member. It's not a matter of exposing oneself to the whole world like eg having a gmail address. So I would think there's also a strong argument that someone signing up on OSW implies consent to exchanging communications with other members of OSW. This is reinforced by the fact that if you didn't want to hear from a specific fellow member you could block him/her. This looks like implied consent to me though as I said above, we never need to get into this at all, because to begin with any communications are from an individual fellow member and not any kind of commercial enterprise. Just setting all this out in case it's ever needed -- hopefully it's not.

18Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
As Alice would say: “Curiouser and curiouser.”

19Concerning the OSW Empty Re: Concerning the OSW Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
You know, I think we should just put the subject of OSW to bed now. It's clear what the score is and those that know it are here and those that aren't know where we are by now.

I think we should put our efforts into assisting Guber, DFC and yours truly to make this the place we know it can be

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum