OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

does the scale of the hobby ever outgrow your spacial capacities ?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
see topic

hi folks,

being on a 3d printing spree, i find myself pondering when the final boundaries of the hobby are gonna catch up with my desire to build/collect.

as a video game "addict" i´ll always get inspired from my favorite titles, enjoying the atmosphere only to think about to what extend i can rebuild those scenes in 1/6.

for example, on a stroll through the fallout wasteland i take in the scenery and plan on recreating a certain place or scenario in a diorama only to immediately hit the literal "wall"
as to "how much" game is gonna fit in my figure room.

creating streets, buildings etc in 1/6 can easily be 5 feet tall, not to mention the skyscrapers giving off the special fallout vibe, which are totally out of the question in terms of size, skill, material, you name it.
yet for me, my figures only give off a proper sense of depth when placed in a strong environment.

is it crazy to dream of possessing a closed down factory floor only to get nuts building/collecting with no limit scratch Very Happy

cheers
tjolnir

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
1:6 scale is BIG. Figures and display cases aren't too bad, but dioramas can be huge. Even then, they have to be limited in size. you can certainly fit more with a 1:8 or 1:12 scale, but I think 1:6 is about as small as many of us ( myself included ) can work with and still achieve high detail.
It is also arguable that there is far more available in 1:6 scale than any other ( for poseable figures) .
Luckily, the math is easy! You could probably fit most video game environments in a decent sized abandonded mall or airport. Very Happy
At this point, I'm just waiting until I can afford one. Maybe if I get enough friends together......

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yes, in short. Even setting the outlay of money aside, the mere proliferation of boxes from boxed sets (or shippers, if you keep those) can be a staggering problem. I am preparing for a move, and I'm fast coming to the conclusion I will have to give up on keeping my boxed sets intact and if I save any of those boxes, it would be by gutting them empty and packing them full of multiple figures and their accessories. And that means undermining the potential resale value of the sets. But anyway...

I realize this is really about dioramas. Obviously, these tend to be even more space-consuming, so they would be even more of a problem. I keep my 1:6 scale dioramas simple and collapsible, consisting of one to three separate simple surfaces for floor or background(s). That keeps things pretty basic, but also allows everything to be stacked and packed away. I have some more ambitious dioramas for my 3.75" Star Wars figures, and even these take up an alarming amount of space. I've made them modular and collapsible for that reason. As for an abandoned mall or airport? Well... property taxes are levied even on non-revenue-generating properties, so I doubt that would be the solution unless you can make them turn a profit (as a museum?).

dadrab

dadrab
Tjolnir wrote:
is it crazy to dream of possessing a closed down factory floor only to get nuts building/collecting with no limit scratch Very Happy

Crazy to dream???

Why hell no.

You're just dreaming out of the box, as it were. So, you buy an old factory floor somewhere to make your dream come true. Who's to say you can't turn that dream into a revenue stream? Build your dream and charge folks to come see it.

As with any new business venture, you'll need backing. I'd say the video game owners should be your first stop. You are, after all, promoting their products.

Build a business plan and dream big.

Who's to say "no" unless you try?

shazzdan

shazzdan
There are lots of malls that are shutting down. Plenty of abandoned real estate for an enterprising squatter to commandeer. Some mall owners are accepting any deal they can get just to keep businesses operating in their premises.

Further to the above suggestion about getting support from gaming stores: try approaching some of them and see if they can spare some floor space in their store to display your work. Perhaps enter an arrangement where they can sell some things on consignment. It will give you market exposure, tell you what is popular and what is not, tell you what works in public displays and what doesn't, and help sharpen your modelling skills.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I would love to build dioramas for my figures. I used to build environments out of whatever scrap I could find when I was a kid, but trying to do it today is simply out of the question. I've even pondered photo-stories, like BadWolf, something I used to do as a kid with pen and ink, but the prospect seems daunting, and ultimately I just don't have the energy (even though the ideas keep floating around in my head, constantly bugging me).

Even now, after one year in our new house, I find myself running out of room in all my display cabinets just for the figures. Can I jam more in? Absolutely. But then, I feel the aesthetic appeal that I've attempted to assemble will be ruined as I just shove more and more of them into the space. I have boxes of unopened figures, head sculpts, and outfits that have come in over the last several months that I neither have the time, nor the space to deal with. (With these ridiculously long PO periods, it often becomes overwhelming when things all start arriving at one time; and with my health seemingly in a continual downward spiral, my energy level to actually mess with the things has been dwindling significantly).

I'm already contemplating boxing up some of the "less important" figures and rotating things around.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

does the scale of the hobby ever outgrow your spacial capacities ? C8485110

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for your feedback guys, nice to see the enthusiasm behind the hobby, though i was speaking rather figuratively when i was fantasizing about bigger places to build your dioramas in.

guess even if i had the funds (which i nowhere nearly got) i think i´d be rather worried about theft/security as a whole.  there was a closed down video shop actually not that far away, still already in the "bad part of town", so even if by some miracle i had bought it at the time i guess i couldn´t sleep well at night Smile
this and the running costs (heating,water etc) alone would get me broke in no time.

on a more realistic side i rented the lower floor of the house to an adorable granny and while i whish here all the health and long life in the world she´s in her mid 80s, so at some point i have to make a decision whether to rent it to someone again or keep it as my personal playground.... you can guess what i decided Very Happy

Allotropos

Allotropos
...yes it does and very very quickly !

henchman21

henchman21
I hear ya... I never had enough space for the collection.. I'm currntly living with a buddy and my entire collection is languishing in two 45 litre Rubbermaid totes in the basement, not to mention three boxes filled with smaller sterilite containers with all my bits and half finished WIPs.   One of these days I need to get all my previous stuff on Flickr and repost it here, since I can't get back on OSW

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
You should totally do that, henchman! Your avatar makes me smile Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum