OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hobby versus 'real life'

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:44 am

Delanie

Delanie
Hi guys,

I have been trying to sell my flat for over 18 months now and a few weeks ago I had one of my best friends come over to 'help' me declutter so i could get better photo's. I have to say she's a really good friend but speaks her mind.

During the course of the conversation about what should get boxed or packed away she made a comment about my 'figures'/'dolls' saying " you know if you bought a man back here and he saw these he'd wonder what he was getting into!" bear in mind I have only got about 5 figures on show in my living room, she went on to say "having dolls and making stories about them is something 'little' girls do not women of your age !"

What is the consensus ? How do you folks reconsile our hobby with real life, ? I know there are a few of us women on here but it must be even worse for you guys?

I would just be interested in your oppinions.

(btw I have thicker skin than to allow her to stop me collecting so not giving up anytime soon cost is a problem though)

2Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:22 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
People can give their opinion but they can do it long distance. Friends like that don't get invited to my house.

3Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:59 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Did she ever consider the possibility that you might bring a man back who is secretly a 1/6 enthusiast, only for him to be surprised at a shared hobby you both have in common?
Friends often mean well, but sometimes forget that a partner who doesn't appreciate your interests is not much of a partner.
You can still be friends though!
My wife doesn't entirely "get" this hobby, but she sees how much I enjoy it!

4Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:53 am

Adeno

For me, I'm open about my love for toys/dolls. It's just like any other hobby such as playing video games, collecting and reading books/comics, watching movies/tv shows, buying clothes, cars, going to events, buying sports related stuff, and more. It's fun, it makes use of a person's imagination, and it makes me happy.

I think that the notion that toys/dolls are just for little children stems from the old days when toys or dolls were very simplistic that they were very easy to let go of when told to do so by older people to "grow up" and prepare children/teens into becoming adults who have to now use all their money to pay taxes, buy food and other survival necessities. Another factor could be that a lot of people these days don't understand just how AWESOME modern toys and dolls have become and when you mention toys and dolls, old crappy toys immediately spring into their mind.

From my personal experience as a kid of the 80s, I remember having a LOT of toys like the classic DC Superheroes, GI Joes, Ninja Turtles, Silverhawks, Dragon Ball, Godzilla, and more. I did love playing around with them just like a kid would (make Superman hit Lex Luthor by bashing them together and then make Lex Luthor crash into the ground... which is made of flour that I used often to bake failed cookies). I was never told by my parents to "give up" the toys, but I honestly lost interest in them because video games took over as my main hobby. I still kept them (and I still do have them!) but they're just safely stored in baskets/boxes.

I didn't buy toys for a long time because I also thought that they were still the same old little 3 to 4 inch toys that barely moved, never really looked like who they're supposed to represent, and I also remembered that their quality could be flimsy. Around twenty years later after the last time I bought toys, I was curious about what modern day toys looked like and how much different they've become from the ones I used to love. I researched about new Godzilla toys and I was amazed by what I discovered! Modern day technology has made it possible for toy makers to create highly detailed creations without sacrificing the posability of toys! The excitement led me into researching about modern day dolls, and that's how I stumbled upon Phicen/TBLeague! I was totally shocked by how realistic they looked, it was like something I wished for as a kid but have forgotten and suddenly it became a reality!

As for creating little stories, it's not just for little children. Being able to come up with stories using only toys and dolls is a sign of a very creative mind. There is nothing wrong with it and it is actually very valuable, especially in the fields of entertainment. Books and movies are made of little stories that come from a person's mind! Without the ability to create stories, it'll be a very boring world. One of the challenges or exercises whether you have to write a story for a book, movie, video game, or even if you have to write music, is to create something out of a limited set of options. Being able to flesh out an entire world or lore with just a few things is what makes the mind expand and capable of producing even more creative stuff! Keeping your mind active by making up stories is also good for one's mental health as it exercises the mind to not remain stagnant.

Personally, I think if people looked and tried playing around with modern day toys, it would make them understand why a lot of adults love them especially now. In the end, if toys and dolls make you happy, then go for it! It's your money and you're not harming anyone Smile

Imperial Godzilla 1985 Version (1985)

Hobby versus 'real life' FjwngG7

Modern Day Monsterarts Godzilla 2002 Version (2018)

Hobby versus 'real life' ALbrWCP

Goku Super Battle Collection (1991)

Hobby versus 'real life' RWcaXqn

Figuarts Goku (2018)

Hobby versus 'real life' 0mJkD3o

Barbie (1984)

Hobby versus 'real life' 6xkiUyP

2B (2018)

Hobby versus 'real life' PdXDtPC

5Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:48 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
While I make no apologies for my hobby (and don't think anyone else should either), I share your concern. If one needed to defend it, what makes it any less legitimate a hobby than anything else, and is this not a type of more interactive art? I think that one could come up with all sorts of reasons why an adult may be interested in collecting and/or creating sixth-scale figures, dioramas, and pieces that are not as basic (and therefore supposedly embarrassing) as child's play. Speaking of which, we are creating, not destroying. Smile

6Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
If they can't accept your hobbies they can't truly accept you.

CHEERS!

7Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This is going to sound harsh, but:

Screw her! It’s your hobby.

I’ve been a collector for a very long time, and when I met my wife, she knew what I was like, what my hobbies were, and periodically would get some of her own things because she saw how neat some of the stuff was. While we don’t really “play” with our dolls, we do display them. And when I got back into collecting 1/6, and she saw how cool and realistic the stuff was, she was impressed to say the least. Now, while she may not be as enthusiastic about this hobby as I am, she knows it makes me happy. I think if a future partner is your concern, I would just be honest from the get-go. If they criticize you for it, they can leave, but most guys have “stupid” hobbies, so I don’t see why anyone would criticize yours.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Hobby versus 'real life' C8485110

8Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:42 pm

dadrab

dadrab
Not much of a "live and let live" sort is she?

I don't care to be in anyone else's business and generally don't care to hang with those who wish to be in mine.

9Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
so this is something i never understood and hopefully never will, at some point you have to assume the role of a responsible adult and apperantly only exist to either work or do "meaningful" stuff.
screw that.
my hobbies are what defines me, both as a person as well as my character. never did i seek the company of people that were not like minded and never did i miss out on something(at least imho) doing so.

so that being said i don't think i reconsile anything, apart from my wife and family/friends, my hobbies are my life and i only begrudingly interrupt them to earnthe cash to finance them.

both 1/6 figures and gaming are both very time consuming hobbies, yet my wife was totally fine with them right from the start and wouldn't be my wife today if she didn't.
i'm not even thinking about how MY hobbies appeal to others, if they like and even share them good if not so what?
the better part of the day i got to sell at some crappy work (like most of you i wager) and while i don't hold back on most of my co-workers, some walk around with a stick up their asses. so once i get
to enjoy my spare time i am 100% myself no matter what, people get offended, tough luck. some girls/women didn't accept my hobbies, guess what, it would have been over in a few months anyhow, glad to spare me the hassle.
first i highly doubt a future partner that's really into you bothers much about hobbies. worst thing to do is having none and only sitting on top of each other, plain recipe for desaster if you ask me.
second, sharing a hobby "can" be good, but keep in mind it can also backfire. i love my wife more than anyone or anything in this world, yet she woulnd't last 5 minutes gaming with me, especially in competitive games. my vocabulary is "rich" to say the least and i take it very seriously.
back then when my best buddy had a gaming girlfriend i witnessed first hand the other side of the medal. sure did they play along for hours back to back of each other, yet less and less on top....sooooo

a hobby is an excellent tool to be missed when you're not around, but you gonna be not around.

so if i close the door of my gaming or figure room it's the same as going to the gym. i'm not there for the next 2-3hours.
if anything i'd take an "exotic" hobby as a plus, besides you're doing it mainly for yourself, to enjoy what you're doing, collecting, spending your time and money on. and at the end of the day no one else
can't make you happy if you don't have anything to be happy about in the first place.
cheers
tjolnir

10Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:32 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
I'm not a person who defines themselves by the work they do. To me, work is just a way to generate income to pay the bills and spend on cool projects. Less work means less income, so I have less to spend on commercial products but it gives me more time for custom projects, which is more satisfying anyway.

I didn't want to be accused of taking money away from my family for my hobbies so I started an online business selling hand-made miniatures to give me an income that was quarantined just for me. If my side-business makes no profit, I don't get money to spend money on my hobbies. Right now I'm making enough to cover my hobby expenses and have enough left over to pay a couple of bills every month, which keeps the wife happy.

11Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Mr. Razz

Mr. Razz
("

12Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 pm

ZombieKev

I think the comment is small minded and mean and the other replies have already said all I'd say about that.

However, I do think you should hide your figures and clean everything up if you are trying to sell your place. Most advice on staging your home recommends removing any unusual collections to attract the most buyers possible. You said 5 figures, so I don't know how prominent that could be really, but if you're having trouble selling then it would not hurt to hide them temporarily.

13Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:53 am

Delanie

Delanie
Thanks for the input folks

I'm not altogether worried about her comments heck its a case of the pot and kettle as she has a old style transam in her garage which she is renovating!

I'm more interested in the comments of your friends etc.

I do try to put things away when someone comes around and i kind of understand why even though I still live here. Somethings I cannot put away or move like the 3' long 18" high raptor in my spare room!

And i certainly put my foot down when she suggested I box up my wooden plank on frame sailing ships , they took me too long to build to risk damaging them in boxes (12 months for the one all rigging standing and running tied by hand!)

14Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
The first issue is whether your friend's opinion about your hobby matters. Nope. The only people who get a say in what you put in your house are the people who actually live in your house. I'm not sure what sort of friends you have but I left home 30 years ago and never once has any of my friends commented on anything in my house except for an occasional "that's cool". They keep their nose out of my business and I do the same for them.

The other issue is whether your hobby is preventing the place from being sold. If you want your appendix removed, you would talk to a surgeon, not your friend. Likewise, if you want advice on selling real estate, you should talk to a realtor, not your friend.  If your decor is preventing the place from being sold then the realty agent will let you know.

15Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:23 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Delanie wrote:I'm more interested in the comments of your friends etc.

What friends?

Just kidding. So far, I've only had one buddy of mine (he's 72) say to me: "You and I have very different priorities." That was the extent of his "negative" criticism. We have too many other things in common for it to be an issue. Everyone else thinks it's a bit odd, but honestly, it's not really an issue.

And I don't blame you for wanting to pack up your sailing ships. Those things are awesome, and I know how long it takes to make them (I had an uncle who spent about 10 years of his life building one that was about 5' long). But, sooner or later, you ARE going to have to pack them up. I would suggest some sort of "build it yourself" crate with a stabilizing system in it so the ships don't move at all.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Hobby versus 'real life' C8485110

16Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Delanie

Delanie
yeah the stabilising system when i moved to my present home was my ex carefully holding them on 2 trips with an understanding his life depended on them not being broken lol

17Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Heh! Our stabilisation system was the same. Whenever we made a trip from the old house to the new one, I held one of the fragile models in my hands while my wife drove very carefully.

18Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Mr. Razz

Mr. Razz
ki

19Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:45 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I’m always very open about my collection and generally most people are fairly accepting of it, and tbh if anyone gives me grief about it they’re probably not the kind of people I’d want to befriend. I have had a few quizzical looks from dog walkers when I’m taking photos outside, but nobody’s ever actually said anything to me yet. At the end of the day it’s no different to those who collect stamps, or go birdwatching - it’s a hobby like any other!

20Hobby versus 'real life' Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I used, more fool me, to display finished kits in my retailer's window, so I learned how to pack fragile stuff very well. I have no idea what he did with them after the devious git buggered off with them when he hit financial trouble though. Rule of thumb, never, I repeat NEVER entrust your most prized collection to someone else!!

Unless you're selling it, keep it with you, even if they have to bury it with you!

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum