OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hobby versus 'real life'

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51 Re: Hobby versus 'real life' on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

henchman21 wrote: my hobby is...  ex wives...

Sorry, Hench.  That was simply irresistible...   Smile

“Therapy,” indeed - and the difference between hobby and art is entirely subjective - if not merely a measure of that degree by which we claim it to be of any import beyond but for ourselves.  

Personally, I believe that any amount of alteration or modification constitutes an artistic endeavor, and thus makes this something other than numismatics or apiculture...  

Anyone who can see only playthings empty of artistic merit is definitely a dullard.

52 Re: Hobby versus 'real life' on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 am

Reminds me of a joke I once heard, " what's with train spotters? I counted ten of those sad bozos on the way to the hobby shop". Wink

"one mans meat" and all that.

Cheers,

Peter.

View user profile

53 Re: Hobby versus 'real life' on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 am

For years I have attempted to show relatives photos of the figures I have,and work on, with them showing little interest.
This year my wife and I hosted the family for Christmas and many of them got to see my figures in person for the first time, since my primary work area is in the living room.
Some were absorbed by the figures and poseabilty, other by the detail of the available accessories and some by the painting/weathering tools and crafting supplies.
I did not make any converts, but they all found at least one aspect that kept them returning to my corner to look around.
Since I am not a collector, my open invitation to "pick up and try" was both a surprise and ( for the kids) a shock.
I think my family has a new appreciation for the fact that I'm not just an adult playing "GI Joes" instead of some other "more manly " hobby.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum