OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hobby versus 'real life'

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Hobby versus 'real life' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 am

PureEnergy

ReverendSpooky wrote: I never really get people who are in relationships that don't share some common interest, or at least understanding and respect, especially for an interest that's a big part of your life.  Having at least an interest or curiosity in your interests seems like a bare minimum litmus test for people in your life...

Indeed, Spooks, it sounds like you’re referring to the concept of compatibility…  

I suppose that some might argue that there is a difference between the romantic and the platonic, and that no such litmus test exists for either, necessarily.  In terms of behavior, I have to believe that if two are to get along, they must ultimately find and share some common ground; but that may be as specific as is required for any sort of positive relationship.  

I’d say the more important factor (and one which you’d also mentioned) is an open understanding of one another as individuals with our own distinctive qualities, interests and idiosyncrasies - that which makes us unique unto ourselves; sincere appreciation for one another as equals but perhaps quite different by way of specific characteristics is essential for any sort of mutuality or reciprocity of respect - be it friendship or romance...  

We don’t have to enjoy the same things; we only need to respect each other enough to understand that each of us will justly have our own, quite simply.

52Hobby versus 'real life' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 am

henchman21

As has been said... my hobby is my hobby, both of my ex wives never criticized my hobby, as it was a means of decompression. Creativity is one of those things that is a form of self therapy . I play mil-sim airsoft as well, and I get stranger looks for that. I haven't bought anything new in over a decade, but I've pretty much gone towards kitbashing anyways. When I describe the work put into a figure, I get quite a few "wow, cool" responses.
So yeah, if they denigrate your hobby, they aren't going to be invited over for dinner.

53Hobby versus 'real life' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

PureEnergy

henchman21 wrote: my hobby is...  ex wives...

Sorry, Hench.  That was simply irresistible...   Smile

“Therapy,” indeed - and the difference between hobby and art is entirely subjective - if not merely a measure of that degree by which we claim it to be of any import beyond but for ourselves.  

Personally, I believe that any amount of alteration or modification constitutes an artistic endeavor, and thus makes this something other than numismatics or apiculture...  

Anyone who can see only playthings empty of artistic merit is definitely a dullard.

54Hobby versus 'real life' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 am

peter the painter

Reminds me of a joke I once heard, " what's with train spotters? I counted ten of those sad bozos on the way to the hobby shop". Wink

"one mans meat" and all that.

Cheers,

Peter.

55Hobby versus 'real life' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hobby versus 'real life' Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
For years I have attempted to show relatives photos of the figures I have,and work on, with them showing little interest.
This year my wife and I hosted the family for Christmas and many of them got to see my figures in person for the first time, since my primary work area is in the living room.
Some were absorbed by the figures and poseabilty, other by the detail of the available accessories and some by the painting/weathering tools and crafting supplies.
I did not make any converts, but they all found at least one aspect that kept them returning to my corner to look around.
Since I am not a collector, my open invitation to "pick up and try" was both a surprise and ( for the kids) a shock.
I think my family has a new appreciation for the fact that I'm not just an adult playing "GI Joes" instead of some other "more manly " hobby.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum