OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marathon LOTR/TH WIP Custom Builds..Reaper/Rider Wraith Redone & Finished.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

shovelchop81 wrote:
dadrab wrote:Dude, he looks killer (literally).

Damn fine work.

Cheers dadrab! I know your avatar but can't place it, is it from a band?

It is. That symbol has appeared on every single Blue Oyster Cult album somewhere. Most of the time, it's pretty easy to find, but not always. It's the creation of the artist who drew their premier album cover, but closely resembles the Egyptian hieroglyph for lead.

I've always liked it and will "procure" it for use from time to time.

View user profile
dadrab wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:
dadrab wrote:Dude, he looks killer (literally).

Damn fine work.

Cheers dadrab! I know your avatar but can't place it, is it from a band?

It is. That symbol has appeared on every single Blue Oyster Cult album somewhere. Most of the time, it's pretty easy to find, but not always. It's the creation of the artist who drew their premier album cover, but closely resembles the Egyptian hieroglyph for lead.

I've always liked it and will "procure" it for use from time to time.

Aha! Nice facts to know, thanks!

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
How appropriate the two of you discussing Blue Oyster Cult, when your avatar, shovelchop, is something of a "Reaper"... Wink

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:How appropriate the two of you discussing Blue Oyster Cult, when your avatar, shovelchop, is something of a "Reaper"... Wink

Too true! Laughing Talking of Reapers, just finished the photoshoot of my Reaper Wraith battling Gandalf (he was unconscious in this scene but I don't have an Elrond, I should make one...) but he's on the White Council. I'm uploading them now to imgur.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Reminds me of the symbol the Iron Maiden artist Derek Riggs would use as his signature. Looking forward to seeing the Gandalf dio.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Reminds me of the symbol the Iron Maiden artist Derek Riggs would use as his signature. Looking forward to seeing the Gandalf dio.

CHEERS!

That must be it, always been a die-hard Iron Maiden fan and grew up copying Derek Riggs' cover art! Cool

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Took me years to realise what that symbol actually was. Maiden covers were best on vinyl, especially Somewhere In Time, packed with little Maiden easter eggs just waiting to be discovered.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Done paint mostly, touching up the 'chrome' silver then drenching it all in black ink, drying now but will do the mail silver drybrushing later. Livened up the chest plate a lot with two random bits for decoration (one came from a small Narnia minotaur figure Wink ). As you can or rather can't see he's swimming in those 1/4 scale trousers! Laughing Obviously some tailoring to be done there but need the wide trouser legs for the pleated Hakama look. Just started faffing with the kabuto and menpo but nothing special done yet.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Going well, slight touch of MC Hammer though.

STOP! Shovel time!

CHEERS!

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Looking good so far. Once you have all nine, this is going to be epic.

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Going well, slight touch of MC Hammer though.

STOP! Shovel time!

CHEERS!

You bastard.. got that bloody awful song in my head now!! Wink I won't be adding giant shoulder pads on top of the armour though! Or a square flat topped helmet!

Stryker2011 wrote:Looking good so far. Once you have all nine, this is going to be epic.

Nearly there, got that giant Sauron to build as well though...

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father

LOL! Glad to be of service!

CHEERS! Laughing

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Those are remarkably uncharacteristic MC Hammer pants... where's the pizzazz? Anyway, shovelchop, your guy isn't just swimming, he's drowning in those 1/4 scale pants. But I have no doubt you will rescue him as you complete your build and everything will be perfect. Smile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
LOL! It was the best I could find at the time!

CHEERS!

View user profile
Not in the mood for sewing loads of parallel lines etc.. so decided to paint the blue hakama black since dying them didn't work in the past, done the mail silver paint on the armour too. I need to replace and recolour all the leg and forearm guards' straps with black and do some body mods for the new tabi feet and armoured hands.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father

All looking good so far.

CHEERS!

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Coming along nicely.

View user profile
Thanks guys! Done a second coat on the hakama and it's looking good touch wood!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I also like the makeshift acrobatics (waiting for paint to dry?) during the build. Smile

And that found bit of branch is freakin perfect! What a lucky find. Can't get over how spot on it looks as a big creepy dead tree, like something out of a classic horror movie or illustration. I love it.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
I'm seriously impressed, Chop.

I look at all this glorious work and just want to throw my shit in the trash. HA.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
dadrab wrote:I'm seriously impressed, Chop.

I look at all this glorious work and just want to throw my shit in the trash. HA.

That's how I feel. Not to mention his constant drive; in the time I manage to get one custom figure made, he's made like 50!! All of them far more complex than anything I could have done.

View user profile

Stryker2011 wrote:

That's how I feel. Not to mention his constant drive; in the time I manage to get one custom figure made, he's made like 50!! All of them far more complex than anything I could have done.

Damn guys, that's really sad to hear! I want to encourage people to make things not give up!! Sad
I struggle too, right now I'm having trouble attaching his feet! I'm trying to use hot glue but the ball joints are so big (feet are from one of the old Cy Girls ninja cyborgs) and the ankles so thin on the Dalek Sec body that tr4ying to keep the full articulation is becoming a mess! Laughing . I'm lucky in the sense that I probably have far more time at my disposal to work on my builds than you guys that's all Wink .

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:

THIS. Shovelchop's sheer volume of complex and beautiful work is somehow both intimidating and inspiring. Like, its baffling how he ever acomplishes it, and yet it really makes me want to work harder.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

THIS. Shovelchop's sheer volume of complex and beautiful work is somehow both intimidating and inspiring.  Like, its baffling how he ever acomplishes it, and yet it really makes me want to work harder.  

I've super respect for your work! Just saw your amazing St. Crow thread for the first time! Really sorry I missed it on OSW, that's the drawback of working so much on your own stuff, you don't get time to appreciate other peoiple's hard and excellent work!

View user profile
Feeling like crap so not getting much done but the kabuto is coming together, need to make the Eye Of Sauron crest next. Might go for some more unusual weaponry to break the traditional samurai mould, this is LOTR after all. Got the ankles articulating and attached finally, looks fugly but will be hidden by his shin armour.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Looking good. Hope you feel better.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I am excited about this helmet. Part Samurai and part gremlin, but when you're done with it, I bet it will be all classy.

Thank you stryker! Getting there...

GubernatorFan wrote:I am excited about this helmet. Part Samurai and part gremlin, but when you're done with it, I bet it will be all classy.

Gremlin? I was going for demon! Wink

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Gremlin? I was going for demon! Wink

I am sure it will look like a full-blown demon by the time you are done with it! Wink

shovelchop81 wrote:Gremlin? I was going for demon! Wink

I am sure it will look like a full-blown demon by the time you are done with it! Wink

Well as long as he looks evil and can pass for a Middle Earth character I'm all good! Well about the build that is, personally still feeling rough as hell, I blame the change in weather! New bugs always get me when the temperature changes...stupid crappy immune system.. Been gently going through scavenged armour parts looking for bits that give a continuity to the armour as detail accents that take it just far enough away from Japanese to allow him a non generic look if that makes sense? I want a samurai inspired wraith not just a samurai painted like a wraith, tricky balance to get to work.
Cut out his crest/kuwagata in the shape of The Eye Of Sauron, I'm reinforcing it with wire at the back that will help with posing it too. May add horns if they're not OTT, need to spray it all black then perhaps make up my mind on that one.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I love the idea of the Eye of Sauron (which by the way means lizard or lizard-y) crest, although at this point I am wondering if it would not be way over the top (literally) and setting him too much apart from the other wraiths. But then again, you are basing this on more than just the LOTR movies. Besides, your creations end up being works of art, and I look forward to the final result.
I hope you feel better soon.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Awesome idea, the Eye. This should be impressive when done.

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:I love the idea of the Eye of Sauron (which by the way means lizard or lizard-y) crest, although at this point I am wondering if it would not be way over the top (literally) and setting him too much apart from the other wraiths. But then again, you are basing this on more than just the LOTR movies. Besides, your creations end up being works of art, and I look forward to the final result.
I hope you feel better soon.

Yup, hence the word saurus being used to name many dinosaurs (including that name! Laughing ) before they realized most of them were actually birds! Rolling Eyes  Hadn't actually connected it with Sauron though, guess I was always thinking of Sorcerer or something like that, good catch! As far as the crest goes they were actually that big in the Japanese middle ages, basically acting as a lord's personal banner to say to his shogun "Hey look at me being so brave and fighting for you here! Look it's me!" of course it also said to any personal rival "Hey it's me, come kill me!". Here though it would be more akin to a crusader's large red cross saying "This is my lord and who I fight for". I think it will blend in well with the other Wraith, you have to remember the last one had a far more subtle helmet/mask than most of the other Wraith I've made with giant horns, plumes, crests, spikes etc.. If it turns out to be too big I'll just make a smaller one! Wink

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Awesome idea, the Eye. This should be impressive when done.

Thanks Stryker! I hope not to disappoint.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Completely agree on the Japanese crest. Just thought it might be too big of a departure from what we saw in the movies -- although there was a distinction between the "regular" wraith outfit and the battle gear (at least for the leader of the Nazgul). But again, you have other sources of inspiration, including your own imagination and creativity, so don't pay attention to my unimaginative wondering and ramblings. I am sure it will look glorious and as I said look forward to see what you do with it.

GubernatorFan wrote:Completely agree on the Japanese crest. Just thought it might be too big of a departure from what we saw in the movies -- although there was a distinction between the "regular" wraith outfit and the battle gear (at least for the leader of the Nazgul). But again, you have other sources of inspiration, including your own imagination and creativity, so don't pay attention to my unimaginative wondering and ramblings. I am sure it will look glorious and as I said look forward to see what you do with it.

Laughing Okay! Thumb Up! (where's an icon for that?)

View user profile
Still feeling rough but at least the weather's cooled down. Painted parts black so ready for silver. There's a 1/6 DID samurai crest there for comparison. I mentioned in my original WIP thread that my Wraiths seem to take on an insectile look to them which I really like, much akin to the Transformers Insecticons I guess. The Greco-Roman looks like a locust, the Easterling like a beetle, the Haradrim like a scorpion, the Rohirrim like a tarantula, the Executioner another beetle, the Reaper a praying mantis and this Ronin one is starting to look like a wasp, especially Waspinator from Transformers Animated!

No neck yet!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
There... a neck and some silver/metal paint, and almost done. Smile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Looking good, SC. I can see the insect comparison now that you mention it. Very cool.

View user profile
GubernatorFan wrote:There... a neck and some silver/metal paint, and almost done. Smile

Done some silver, probably will black ink it then sponge some lighter silver on. Need to drill out all the hands, mod the pegs and then there's all the weapons to prep and paint too. At the moment he has possibly 5 weapons to do.. still can't see any hand icons, got some really random ones like an elephant, Afro hair and a Pharaoh though... scratch

Stryker2011 wrote:Looking good, SC. I can see the insect comparison now that you mention it. Very cool.

Cheers Stryker! I'm not totally mad then! Wink

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
"We're all mad here!" (so says the Hatter) Laughing

View user profile
LOL, very true! I blame it on all the glue! Wink

Recycled some previously modded lego parts to make the neck with a bit of dremelling and super glue etc.., plenty of articulation hidden there by that random glove liner that I found on the street outside. I've drilled out the hands and fitted them (x3) but still have loads of armour to attach together then attach to the figure while making straps too. Then weapons, done some sanding already but tired now..

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Looking good. I wish I had your drive and commitment.

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Wow, really coming together. But you are due your well-earned rest.

cheers
tjolnir

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Looking good. I wish I had your drive and commitment.

Your wife wouldn't, she'd never see you! You'd be in your man-cave forever! Laughing

GubernatorFan wrote:Wow, really coming together. But you are due your well-earned rest.

Taken a rest but got some more done too.

Tjolnir wrote:always inspiring to watch you cut up stuff and create something wonderful, keep up the great work

cheers
tjolnir

Thank you for the support tjolnir!

Nearly there now...

View user profile
Wow this is coming along fantastically well mate. Great build thread as always.

Paul

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Nearly there, indeed. Will he have flowing robes like the rest? Or will he be more like he is now?

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
That last shot is very encouraging... looks pretty much ready to go, in all its glorious detail. I would imagine that the flowing robes are part of the dress code, Stryker. In this case perhaps it might be cool if there are two long vertical slits for the arms, to give him better access and perhaps reveal a bit more of the armor in action poses. But I'm sure shovelchop has thought of what to do about that already.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum