OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

This was their first release and only offering that I have from them. I hope their quality has improved since then as I had to give mine a complete overhaul as loose joints and poorly assembled Mechanical Arm that kept falling off was just too annoying for me to leave as is or to get any other offering of theirs since then.

I had used an Soldier story base body that had a broken right arm and the size made the perfect donor.
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  Wg4OAjR

Studio Sundowner should have used ball jointed socket / pegs instead of just the brass rods to connect the arms so that had to be dredone. Did a bit of drilling and added my own ball pegs and sockets instead since they did not.
BEFORE :
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  5ecCY4b

AFTER
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  DXtRTJi

Cut and threw out the resin hand but kept the rest. I then attached it to a bendy gloved hand.
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  PZ6zZ3f

With the Renner sculpt from Soldier Story's FBI set.
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  I2WFP3A

Changed the boots and swapped out gray leggings added some light weathering.
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  Z8At6zW
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  SwkQbfr
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  BPpVw39

Soldier story's excellent articulation makes for a much more an enjoyable figure now.
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  G2Tbf3g
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  GFHhG4n

Side by side comparison.
The Mechanical Arm (TMA) from Studio Sundowner  YOtK0zY

That's all folks !
Thanks for dropping by !

I like your version MUCH better. I always kind of skipped past this figure as being more or less a combination of cliche and cheese ( and I LOVE cheese! ) , the sculpt didn't inspire and the arm looked out of place. The mods you made create a whole different feel that works well. The new sculpt humanizes the arm and the boots and hand changes make the figure more believable.
Nicely done!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done. Must feel great to make it work properly and end up with such a complete look.

View user profile
Actually really did like the look of the original Sundowner release, and it's a shame that there were the production issues there were. I feel like it's hard not to run into those kind of issues with a studio's 1st release. But your updates look slick as hell, and I really dig the more realistic look you went with. And the improved articulation really just takes it to the next level. Super cool!

Pontiacivan wrote:I like your version MUCH better. I always kind of skipped past this figure as being more or less a combination of cliche and cheese ( and I LOVE cheese! ) , the sculpt didn't inspire and the arm looked out of place. The mods you made create a whole different feel that works well. The new sculpt humanizes the arm and the boots and hand changes make the figure more believable.
Nicely done!
ReverendSpooky wrote:Actually really did like the look of the original Sundowner release, and it's a shame that there were the production issues there were.  I feel like it's hard not to run into those kind of issues with a studio's 1st release.  But your updates look slick as hell, and I really dig the more realistic look you went with.  And the improved articulation really just takes it to the next level.  Super cool!

Thanks Ponti & Reverend - if I had a choice, I would almost always go for as much realism as possible. I'm not really a fan of some of the more "cartoony" / caricature-like look some companies have (like threeA or the Gangster's Kingdom line) but I would have been okay with it if not for the problems I had with this one.

GubernatorFan wrote:Very nicely done. Must feel great to make it work properly and end up with such a complete look.
Thanks Gub - it's always satisfying when a plan works !

Ephiane wrote:Wow ! Great Job on the Figure ! Like the posable fingers, the Robot Arm is Great
Thank you Eph !

Thanks again for dropping by guys !

Pontiacivan wrote:I like your version MUCH better. I always kind of skipped past this figure as being more or less a combination of cliche and cheese ( and I LOVE cheese! ) , the sculpt didn't inspire and the arm looked out of place. The mods you made create a whole different feel that works well. The new sculpt humanizes the arm and the boots and hand changes make the figure more believable.
Nicely done!
ReverendSpooky wrote:Actually really did like the look of the original Sundowner release, and it's a shame that there were the production issues there were.  I feel like it's hard not to run into those kind of issues with a studio's 1st release.  But your updates look slick as hell, and I really dig the more realistic look you went with.  And the improved articulation really just takes it to the next level.  Super cool!

Thanks Ponti & Reverend - if I had a choice, I would almost always go for as much realism as possible. I'm not really a fan of some of the more "cartoony" / caricature-like look some companies have (like threeA or the Gangster's Kingdom line) but I would have been okay with it if not for the problems I had with this one.

GubernatorFan wrote:Very nicely done. Must feel great to make it work properly and end up with such a complete look.

Ephiane wrote:Wow ! Great Job on the Figure ! Like the posable fingers, the Robot Arm is Great
Thank you Eph !

Nicely done!

Thank you Eph !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum