OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I've been burned before. Now which figure should I buy for a head with this neck?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I've been burned several times and I would prefer to avoid a long process of returning a head/body and buying a new one, so this time I'll ask you guys first: For a neck of this length, and an opening of roughly 15mm, which flexible body should I be looking to buy?

There are bodies without necks, bodies with a half ball...etc. I'm inclined to get the first one, but am afraid the neck might appear too long.

Thanks!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Hi Tharexmd. Theoretically your natural choice should be the first of the two bodies you show. The neck should fit over the connector with little or no modification (depending on how it is made, etc, you might need to glue it to stay in place, etc.). If you want to use the second body you show, you will need to get yourself the missing little connector part, because the head sculpt's neck cannot really fit directly onto the peg sticking out of the second body. Now, there is a basic level of compatibility among these various elements, but absolute compatibility is no guaranteed. To be able to answer your question with total certainty, one would have to pretty much know the specific makes and models of each element (head sculpt, connector, body) and ideally to actually have experience with them.

Giraffe neck is a natural concern, but keep in mind it is actually intentional, since it usually helps the overall proportions one you put clothes on the body; and if that does not help sufficiently, consider putting a thin layer of padding between the body and the clothes on the top of the shoulders. Of course there may be instances where it is too long/tall anyway. But you won't really know until you try.

Another possible solution, especially if the head sculpt is PVC/plastic rather than resin, would be to slice/shave off the neck portion and place the head on a body that has a neck already attached. See head conversion tutorial HERE.

GubernatorFan wrote:especially if the head sculpt is PVC/plastic rather than resin, would be to slice/shave off the neck portion and place the head on a body that has a neck already attached. See head conversion tutorial HERE.

Thank you so much

Well, it's Resin, not plastic. I kinda like it because it looks more realistic tbh. I might have to glue it on top, which would make changing the clothes in the future difficult, although I don't plan to at all. My biggest concern is that it seems the neck might be a little too tall, and I was wondering if there was a body model in between both extremes I showed...

Thanks again!

View user profile

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Tarexmd wrote:Thank you so much. Well, it's Resin, not plastic. I kinda like it because  it looks more realistic tbh. I might have to glue it on top, which would make changing the clothes in the  future difficult, although I don't plan to at all. My biggest concern is that it seems the neck might be a little too tall, and I was wondering if there was a body model in between both extremes I showed...

You are welcome. Resin can also be modified, but it is harder to do so, and if you use a Dremel to cut it or polish, you will end up possibly inhaling toxic particles, so I like to stay away from that.

Theoretically the little connector is removable from the peg that sticks out of the body, so even if you find you have to glue the head sculpt to it, it should be possible to remove it when changing the clothing.

If you do end up with a giraffe neck, I suppose the easiest fix is to build up the clothing on the shoulders -- either multiple layers or with padding (for example pieces of packing foam or even my usual go-to, foamies).

Tarexmd wrote:If you do end up with a giraffe neck, I suppose the easiest fix is to build up the clothing on the shoulders -- either multiple layers or with padding (for example pieces of packing foam or even my usual go-to, foamies).

Thanks again. I went for the first figure, and the padding sounds like a good idea, thanks!

View user profile
Personally I would go with the second body, it will need a neck connector that isn't on the photo but that is sold wih nearly all bodies (if not it's not a hard item to find)

this way you could glue the connector to the head and still be able to take it off the body if needed...

here is the connector I'm talking about, very standard item...

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
The Neo3 is a sound choice and is often overshadowed by the more ubiquitous TrueType and clones thereof. The neck joint on the Neo 3 is extendable, so if the clothing is bulky it will still look right. However, you are going to be a bit limited when it comes to hands. Some early Soldier Story hands might work as might BBI.

If you want true compatibility then a body like this:

https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=87_88&product_id=9

is what you really want.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:If you want true compatibility then a body like this:

https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=87_88&product_id=9

is what you really want.

CHEERS!

That's almost twice as expensive, but for $10 I'd have better everything.

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
TT clones are more expensive, that is true, but, you're guaranteed to find more clothing that will fit, better hands and better heads. Much of the third party industry is geared around HT.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:TT clones are more expensive, that is true, but, you're guaranteed to find more clothing that will fit, better hands and better heads. Much of the third party industry is geared around HT.

CHEERS!

I changed my order. Was worth it. Thanks!

View user profile

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Cool,

You should have no trouble now finding gear for Keanu now, both Neo and Speed are catered for.

CHEERS!

View user profile
Rogerbee wrote:Cool,

You should have no trouble now finding gear for Keanu now, both Neo and Speed are catered for.

CHEERS!

Yep. I cancelled my Hot Toy preorder already, saved me $220 and wasn't arriving before March 2019. I got this superior headsculpt, and I got the exact clothes I'll be needing for the scene I'm recreating, so I overall saved $100 for an arguably better setup which will be ready before Christmas. Should be an incredibly epic living room diorama, but very, very challenging to make. Thanks!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum