OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thornapple Maudsley - From the World of House of Seasons

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Another House of Seasons figure redone with the new smaller Phicen Bodies (either a 24A or 25B, I can't quite remember) with all new pics.  If you're tuning in for the 1st time, some back story on the House of Seasons as well as Alice of Autumn can be found at http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t755-alice-of-autumn-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons and Isblooma of the House of Winter can be found at http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t855-isblomma-of-winter-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons. (But some of you already know that   Wink )

Thornapple Maudslay grew up in Dog's Warf, one of the poorer neighborhoods in the city of Equinox.  She is from a working class family, her mother a witch of fairly average skill and power, who's work mainly involved maintaining the engines of the massive magik powered airships that sailed the ley lines that connected much of the country.  Her father was a machinist of no magikal means, that had worked in another area of the maintenance department.  Like most witches, her mother was conscripted when The Blight began, and based on her background became an onboard mechanic to the SRC Magnificent, or "Miss Maggie" to the crew.  It was here that she found her calling, keeping the warship in the air for three years, through many brutal battles.  She was loved by the crew, and her quick thinking and ingenuity many times saved the ship from what with most other mechanics would have been complete destruction.  That is until the battle of Cromwall.  The combined forces of the four great houses were utterly decimated, with the casualties in the hundreds of thousands.  The battle was deep in blighted territories, and SRC Magnificent was attempting to evacuate the wounded when it was brought down.  There were no survivors.

Thornapple was nine at the time of her mother's death.  Her father did everything he could for her, raising her alone, and often took on odd jobs as a tinkerer and repair man to make ends meet.  She was fascinated by all things mechanical, and soaked up everything she could learn.  She excelled at school.  Her classmates, and soon even her teachers couldn't keep up with her, and early on she set her sights on Balefire University, even then knowing it would be an uphill battle.  Balefire was the world's most prestige school of Magik.  She had no ties to the royalty known to attend.  She was fairly sure no one from Dog's Warf had ever even been accepted.  But worst of all, she did not have the natural aptitude or deep reserves of magik energies the most powerful witches carry within them.  Undeterred, she immersed herself in arcane studies, a feat that would have been impossible if not for her best friend and fellow Dog's Warf witch Delia Rhildreth, whose propensity for trouble lent itself to breaking them in to every arcane institution, library, and bookstore necessary for Thornapple to pursue her dream.  Delia was Thornapple's complete opposite, a natural savant at the use of magik, who only seemed inspired to use it for things illegal or dangerous (or "interesting" as she would put it).  Thornapple poured over every scrap she could get her hands on (much of which Delia read as well, simply because she knew she wasn't supposed to) until her knowledge of theoretic magik was unparalleled by anyone her age, and at eighteen both of them were admitted to Balefire.

She is now in her second year, and has applied herself with the same diligence and dedication that had gotten her to this point.  Her main area of study is in occult technologies, mechanical applications of theurgical sciences.  When not in the library researching, she spends an inordinate amount of time in the on campus workshop, crafting various combinations of magik and machine. She has worked tirelessly to hone her skills to surgical precision, to make the most efficient use of any energies she can harness.  To compensate for her lack of magik reserves, she builds rechargeable crystal containment devices that she hangs from her belt, that she can draw on for power.  Everything she carries, from her bracelet to her goggles, have been imbued with various spells, making her more than a match for almost any of the other students of Balefire.  Even her necklace is charged with a powerful protective charm, a last gift from her mother.

While at Balefire, she spends most of her time immersed in her studies, with Delia her only friend at the school.  But when her unique skills gain her the attention of Alice of the House of Autumn, she becomes involved in a world bigger than she could ever imagine.

View user profile http://reverendspooky.com
Masterfull Posing and Phtographie as ever. Love Your Character and Bio Creations ! The Flight scenes are absolute Great Smile Are that Heads with moveabe Eyes ?
You should made a Movie in that Witch World and become ritcher than J.K. Rowling Wink

View user profile
A broom with a V-12??? You're my new hero.

The whole figure and backstory are excellent. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

Time to go pro.

View user profile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Beautiful work as always, Adam. Great story. And I agree, that motorized broom is Da Bomb!!! Awesome stuff.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
This is my favorite character of yours so far...I really like the back story and I agree with the others, that broom is great! Her determination is amazing...lack something the others have naturally? Well, just build something to compensate for it...That's awesome!

View user profile
Very Cool story line and great looking figure! Indeed I'm also loving the V 12 broom (0 to 100 6 in seconds?) and it looks like it has GPS?

Hell yeah!  Definitely time to cash in for some of that movie money!  Hollywood should be coming knocking any day now...

And so glad you dig her!  I suspended her in an open window to get the flying shots, and was so glad that the fishing line wasn't visable, and that the didn't take a tumble out into the alley below.  it was tense.  And they are movable eyes.  It's just 1 more of the things I really liked about the OE heads.  Most of them I replaced with fancier doll eyes, but since it wasn't a perfect fit had to glue them in place.  But Thornapple still has the actual OE eyes, and they're still pose-able.  Something I should take more advantage of in photos...

dadrab wrote:A broom with a V-12???     You're my new hero.

The whole figure and backstory are excellent. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

Time to go pro.

Thanks so much man!  And so glad you appreciate the broom.  She has a habit of building things when the idea strikes her (sound familiar to anyone here?) regardless of if there really is a need.  It was a project that came about after a lecture on strengths, weaknesses and historical applications of various flight magiks, and she started wondering how fast a traditional witches' broom could theoretically go.  The whole project is ridiculously dangerous, but she's gotten hooked on continuing to refine the design every time she gets a new idea for it.  

And I'm so ready to go pro.  If phicen wants to give me a call, I'm listening...

Stryker2011 wrote:Beautiful work as always, Adam. Great story. And I agree, that motorized broom is Da Bomb!!! Awesome stuff.

Thank you Striker!  I'm so glad the broom has gone over so well!  It was such a fun thing to make, and just like Thornapple, I'm always tempted to tweak it, stain the handle, mess with how stuff connects.  But hearing this response, I need to leave it the hell alone for now.

Mr. Razz wrote:This is my favorite character of yours so far...I really like the back story and I agree with the others, that broom is great! Her determination is amazing...lack something the others have naturally? Well, just build something to compensate for it...That's awesome!

Thanks so much Razz!  I know I'm not supposed to say it, but she kinda my favorite too (What can I say, I'm a sucker for a girl in glasses).  And so happy her story resonates! She's definitely an underdog character in that world, and all the cooler for it.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very Cool story line and great looking figure! Indeed I'm also loving the V 12 broom (0 to 100 6 in seconds?) and it looks like it has GPS?

Thanks Bad Wolf!  And the GPS is a fantastic idea.  The screen was intended for general diagnostics, keeping track of power output, that sort of thing.  But now that you mention it, GPS would totally be a great addition!

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Took some more time to examine this. Beautiful work. Questions: what did you use to make her dress and hat? Alt looks like old socks. I love the scrolls, how did you make them rolled up, with the caps and all? Nice leather work on her satchel and her shoes.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

View user profile
Stryker2011 wrote:Took some more time to examine this. Beautiful work. Questions: what did you use to make her dress and hat? Alt looks like old socks. I love the scrolls, how did you make them rolled up, with the caps and all? Nice leather work on her satchel and her shoes.

That's so awesome! Seriously, thank you. The hat and upper part of the dress were from the sleeves off an old sweatshirt and a a few layers of lace around the dress bottom. I loved the color, and that ribbed material around the wrists has such a great look (and you're right, really similar construction to socks). The hat also has a wire run around the edges to shape the brim. For the scrolls, I stained dowels, and used a resume paper since it had a bit of texture to get that old paper look. I stained it with a combination of inks and tea, and the capped filigree ends are jewelry findings, I think from Michael's. Then just a little leather cord wrap, and the Fleur-de-Lis I think just came from the craft store scrapbook section (so good for 1/6 embelishments!). Can't take credit on the shoes or leather bag (OE shoes and I think the bag is a WW2 medic bag, probaly either Dragon or DAM) but both were good finds!

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Another great kitbash and great character from your expanding fantasy universe. I like the combination of styles, and the look is definitely appropriate for the witchery version of the scholarly grad student. Another winner, I'd say.

GubernatorFan wrote:Another great kitbash and great character from your expanding fantasy universe. I like the combination of styles, and the look is definitely appropriate for the witchery version of the scholarly grad student. Another winner, I'd say.

Thanks so much GubernatorFan! One of the cool things with House of Seasons is how it kinda crosses a lot of genre's, especially aesthetically. The next few figures are going to have a much more modern look, while still retaining all of the mystical elements. It's fun to really get to mash up those styles.

She's super fine !
I absotively posolutely just enjoy reading your character's backstories complimented by your excellent customs !

Carry on Rev and looking forward to seeing more characters you're working on !

View user profile
Yay you did it again! I like all the little details and her outfit, but I have to admit I am not a fan of the pink glasses. xD

I think she would also look cool with a face scarf + goggles, riding on the broom. The broom is made from a brush, right?

View user profile
Allotropos wrote:She's super fine !
I absotively posolutely just enjoy reading your character's backstories complimented by your excellent customs !

Carry on Rev and looking forward to seeing more characters you're working on !

Thanks so much Allotropos!  Really glad you're digging the story.  Someday I want to take a crack at writing it out properly, but it's huge for me to know it's still enjoyable as these little bits of backstory.  Lots more to come I can't wait to share!

teamweapon wrote:great set dressing, styling and EXCELLENT posing in this set to go with the imaginative story.always love seeing your photo shoots, something new every time Smile
hope you keep on pushing the boundaries Smile

Thank you Teamweapon! I'm always hoping I can put out something fresh, and love hearing that you're enjoying it. TBLeague bodies really have just elevated the fun of posing figures for photoshoots, and I'm glad that fun comes through!

Ovy wrote:Yay you did it again! I like all the little details and her outfit, but I have to admit I am not a fan of the pink glasses. xD

I think she would also look cool with a face scarf + goggles, riding on the broom. The broom is made from a brush, right?

Thank you Ovy!  No love for the pink glasses, huh?  I't's funny, I had considered repainting them at 1st.  But the more I thought about it, the more the pink just seemed like a color the character would choose.  And the fact that the color was kinda mismatched with the rest of her outfit seemed all the more like something she'd do.

A scarf really would be a good idea, especially for riding around at high speeds.  But she's got the goggles already, and definitely uses them when she's riding.

And the broom was totally scratch built too.  Although a brush would be a good idea, and that's where the bristles came from, I don't know if I could get a wide enough brush with a thin enough handle to nail the look.  I ended up cutting the bristles off a brush, bundling them together with wire and fabric, and then attaching them to a dowel.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum