OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:31 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
The missus wanted a 10-inch photo frame for Christmas but I thought it was a pretty boring and mundane present so I added some flair to turn it into a miniature model TV. At 1:6 scale this is exactly the right size for a 60-inch TV. The trick was to find a digital photo frame that had a screen ratio of 16:9 and a frame that was thin enough to resemble the bezel of a TV. I found one with a frame of 12 mm, which is too thick for modern TVs but about right for an older Plasma TV.

The next step was to find a suitable TV to act as a model. I spent hours googling photos of older TVs and finally settled on a Panasonic; partly because it looked about right and was simple to reproduce, and partly because Panasonic made some of the best Plasmas on the market and I wanted to pay tribute to them with this project.

Here is the photo frame I selected.
Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV EArtMEX

It needs a stand but I didn't want to remove its ability to function as a regular photo frame, so I needed something that could be easily attached and removed. I decided the best option would be to use the mounting holes on the back of the photo frame. Steel plate was selected because it is strong, thin, and flexible - the latter was necessary so that it could be bent, enabling the TV to be tilted at whatever angle was needed. The steel plate was cut from this computer casing. I deliberately chose a section with ventilation so I wouldn't have to drill mounting holes.
Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV RAsmrJ0

I made the stand itself from wood and cut a slot in the top for the steel plate to slip in to. So the final result consists of only three components. The photo frame, the mounting plate, and the wooden stand. The steel plate was shaped so that the control buttons on the back could still be accessed.
Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV KVVUvbs

Here is the final result. It isn't an exact copy because most Panasonic TVs have a square green LED. Rhinestones have the right effect but I only had round ones, so that's what I used. I drilled a shallow hole so that the rhinestone is recessed. The logos are printed on paper and glued in place.
Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV PE4hsWX

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV 4qQobrm

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV PfuhEjU

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV OFKdsDf

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV BcND3lU

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV BUVPZLu

It is still a fully functional digital photo frame that can play photos, music, and videos. Hope she likes it.

2Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Tarexmd

Tarexmd
That looks incredible!!

3Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm

dadrab

dadrab
Well done, sir.

She'll love it (or at least, she should).

4Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
That’s really cool. I’ve been looking for something similar for ages!

5Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:35 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
That looks perfect!  Been meaning to try something like this for ages, but yours is absolutely dead on. I hope your wife won't mind you periodically borrowing it for photo shoots. Razz

http://reverendspooky.com

6Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 pm

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Bravo, Shazzdan! The rhinestone really adds to the realistic effect. Now bring out the 1/6 popcorn!

7Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Pretty cool!

I have a 32" one right next to me.

CHEERS!

8Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent. That turned out great.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV C8485110

9Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:39 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
This is how you do it! I had some actual mini van TVs for a while, you could watch DVDs or live TV on them. Great use of the digital frame.

10Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
My Dad has a dashtop satnav that looks like a miniature TV, it looks really cool though I'm not sure it could be adapted for other uses.

CHEERS!

11Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:29 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Your Missus is a lucky woman. Well done!

12Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:49 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
rollotomasi wrote:Now bring out the 1/6 popcorn!

I had an idea about that too; scrunch up small pieces of aluminium foil and hit them with spray paint.

13Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Empty Re: Miniature 60 inch Plasma TV Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Or tiny pieces of polystyrene, they'd work.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum