OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Since a new forum needs new contents, here is a quick little review of a figure I obtained recently. It is DML's MIB3 (Men in Black 3 -- both appear as labels on the box) Agent K from 1969. In the film, Josh Brolin played the role of a much younger Tommy Lee Jones. If we can rely on the time stamp found on the sole of one shoe, the figure dates to 2012.

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-12

The figure comes in a basic sturdy shoebox-type container. The design of the box is intended to remind you of the film's titling, without any specific depiction of the character. Inside is a transparent plastic tray (with a transparent plastic lid) holding the figure and its handful of accessories.

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-10

The figure comes with a one-piece head and neck sculpt of Josh Brolin. It is executed pretty well, but in what seems to be a more impressionistic fashion than what we are used to from other companies. This is a difference in style, but it might also be somewhat tailored for the rugged features of Josh Brolin. The sculpt and paint give the impression of a sweaty pale individual with hair that is beginning to go grey. The work definitely lacks the sharpness of HT and DAM products in either sculpt of paint, but still succeeds in conveying the overall impression. That said, the paint could have been done more carefully, especially on the sides of the forehead. Without being perfect, the head does resemble the actor well. The paint and gloss on the eyes is very well done, though difficult to notice because they are sculpted in a fairly squinted position; the paint is also very good on the three guns. The hands have very nicely sculpted lines and veins, and possibly some subtle paint work too.

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-11

The figure comes wearing a two-piece black suit (hence "Men in Black"), black tie, black silver-buckled belt, black socks, and glossy black shoes, as well as a white dress shirt. The socks are a nice touch, as they are often omitted in other products, making formally-dressed figures look silly when their emaciated plastic ankles are exposed. The two-piece black suit is made of a soft, slightly velvety material, which looks great, although it can attract dust. The three front buttons on the suit jacket are functional; there are also three buttons on each jacket cuff.

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-13

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-14

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-15

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-17

Agent K comes with a two-part display stand, one extra pair of relaxed hands (the figure comes wearing gun-grip hands out of the box), translucent sunglasses, and three different alien-hunting guns. Each of the three guns has a black handle and various chrome and translucent sections. While they do not look particularly realistic, the guns appear to be movie-accurate.

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-22

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-16

The action figure body appears to be of an older type, with the hands permanently attached to their wrist pegs. The body has pretty good articulation, but is a little bit floppy and jerky: the ankles are a little weak, and the arms cannot keep raised positions easily or precisely as the jacket tugs on them. Otherwise the figure does not suffer from common articulation problems such as at the wrists or ankles, elbows or knees. The figure stands reasonably well without the included stand.

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-18

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-19

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-20

mib - Product Review Dragon Models Ltd MIB3 (Men in Black 3) Agent K 1969 (Josh Brolin) Mib3k-21

Overall, despite the somewhat impressionistic head sculpt and the dated body type, this seems to be a very decent product. I purchased it with the intention of customizing/kitbashing, but we'll see what happens to it in the end.

#productreview #meninblack #mib #film #male

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

He actually looks a lot better than I thought he might. With the shades on he does actually look pretty cool. The old Neo3 shows its age a bit now though, on one of Kit's clone bodies this could look mega.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks Roger, I think so too.

scalawag

scalawag
Very nice, and from certain angles(as usual with 1/6 sculpts) a very good likeness I would say. I like it with the shades on too.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
I have to say, that is some of the BEST molded hair I have ever seen!
I had to look twice to be sure, before I read your description.
Whatever they did, other companies could learn from them.
Great piece to own!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks scalawag and Pontiacvan, glad you liked it. I agree. While I would have preferred something more HT quality for the head sculpt (wouldn't we all?), it works pretty well. And the overall impression the hair makes is indeed very good.

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Say, that's pretty slick! Think you may check out some of the others, too?
The Tommy Lee Jones one looked pretty good.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hi PickleMunkey. Glad you liked it. I did pick up a very nice Tommy Lee Jones head sculpt, and I was thinking of putting it on this figure's body and outfit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum