OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Rogerbee

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
I’m with you on all these points. I remember not liking Cutthroat Island when it first came out. But about a year ago, I decided to give it a shot again, and found that it wasn’t all that bad. After the absurdity of all the ridiculous fantasy elements of the PoTC films, it was much easier to digest, as much of it is silliness without all the “monsters”. I actually really disliked Pirates 2 and 3 because they really spent too much time with Johnny Depp’s character. The first one was good because no ONE character of the three main characters had more screen time. Once they put all the focus on Depp and bigger (but not necessarily better) special effects, it just became a vehicle for nonsense (and they completely screwed up Elizabeth and Wills story). I was reluctant on Pirates 4, but found it wasn’t bad (I think Ian McShane saves that one). And the 5th one felt a lot like the first one to me, so I actually enjoyed that one.

Personally, I think even TV shows get boring after 3 seasons (US seasons of 24 episodes, that is). That’s the one thing I like about BBC shows, or cable, is that the seasons are much shorter. But even after 4-5 seasons of the shorter runs starts to become redundant and boring.

Hollywood today is more irritating than ever now, and not just because of the lack of creativity. Very few movies catch my interest anymore when i used to go to the movies pretty much every week. I have/had over 5000 DVDs. Hollywood started going downhill in the 90s, and now it’s so far down the cesspool of regurgitated remakes and reimaginings most new movies have become unwatchable. They’re so busy ramming their socio-economic PC agenda crap down our throats, or trying to razzle dazzle the low-attention span audience with special effects, they’ve mostly forgotten how to tell a good story. I miss John Huston, William Wyler, Alfred Hitchcock, Preston Sturgis, etc. Those were directors who knew how to tell a story.

You're right there,

What does annoy me is that some gems get picked up by Netflix so terrestrial channels don't get a look in till well after the show has gone beyond a season length that interests me or they get cancelled. A lot of shows that do hit terrestrial get dropped before new seasons come out, which happened to Lost and then The Walking Dead.

I'm currently watching The Invaders, one of the best 60's shows on US TV ever. They don't make them like that anymore!

CHEERS!

PureEnergy

The dawn of the Digital Age seems to coincide with the decline of quality content coming out of Hollywood...  

I never expect much from sequels - which is not to sound cynical, but the fact being that they are generally repetitive in nature.  

Even if the original film were well done; sequels will be, necessarily, inherently, comparatively, considerably less original - and likely tainted by itchy-palmed executives apt to regard foremost those elements determined to have made the original film successful - with a subsequent directive to double-down on such (rendering sequels unlikely to be anything other than redundant).

But not everyone seems to mind the repetition, perhaps especially where and when it were so fondly found the first time around...  However, I’d say that inspiration is permanently altered by reaction - and typically so beyond any fair recognition of the original work; it may be difficult for some to admit that what remains is often mere incontrovertible nostalgia…

Worse yet than certain-to-disappoint sequels, in my opinion, are prequels.  With perhaps a few exceptions, these disjointed productions tend to be so incoherently cobbled that they may have had a snowball’s chance at worth if presented as entirely separate from their fosters, rather than attached by some tenuous or anomalous plot element prone to fail under even the most cursory of logic.  In general, prequels seem to be no more than shameful attempts to transform the successful singular into a franchise.

I don’t believe that any of the films mentioned in this thread were independent productions, which is to say that the mega-studios of Hollywood have a relatively new form of competition in the current era.  

Cinema has been suddenly challenged by amateurs with phone cams and “found footage” fodder for the masses, available at practically no cost.  This means that the big-budget productions may be scrambling and squandering expenses simply to distinguish themselves; quality seems to have been lately downgraded to a tertiary consideration, substantial only after the prospects of profit and popularity, if at all.  

Nevertheless, on an optimistic note, it is always only culturally environmental, and will therefore inevitably progress into whatever will be next in the cycle.  I suspect that Hollywood will eventually find a foothold in this shifting landscape, from which they may recover.  

In the interim, I will endeavor to understand that their position is likely one of desperation among chaos, and try not to judge any of the individual talents thereof that may have all but gone into survival mode.  

But the course will most naturally adjust, and all these matters ought to improve with time…  

PS:  Jack Sparrow still seems unnecessarily, and inexplicably, prissy…  

PPS: On an entirely irrelevant note…   Wink

Does anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

Stryker2011

Founding Father
PureEnergy wrote:anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

It would more than likely work if the color match was good. I've found most female heads fit (some with more modification of the inner neck connector than others, but that's nothing that a Dremel or blu-tac can't take care of.

PureEnergy

Stryker2011 wrote:
PureEnergy wrote:anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

It would more than likely work if the color match was good. I've found most female heads fit (some with more modification of the inner neck connector than others, but that's nothing that a Dremel or blu-tac can't take care of.

That’s a mighty big “if” there, sir…  

I recently dropped a Grant on a beautiful Jessica Alba which required rather heavy Dremel modification - but it’s the skin tone that continues to be ultimately problematic.  She’s one of several decent Sculpts that I can’t use due to the offset coloration…    

I appreciate the response, though, Stryker.  Thank you!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, unfortunately, the skin tone match is the biggest problem with the seamless bodies. Jiaou Doll has tried a little more than TBLeague has, with more color choices in their bodies, but it’s still a crap shoot. I have at least ten female heads that I haven’t found a suitable (to me) match for a body as far as color goes. Then there’s propper body proportions (bust, curves, height, musculature).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

pirate - NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams - Page 3 C8485110

PureEnergy

Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately, the skin tone match is the biggest problem with the seamless bodies. Jiaou Doll has tried a little more than TBLeague has, with more color choices in their bodies, but it’s still a crap shoot. I have at least ten female heads that I haven’t found a suitable (to me) match for a body as far as color goes. Then there’s proper body proportions (bust, curves, height, musculature).

Ugh...

Please don’t get me started on that particular gaping hole in the market…  I’m so tired of “shooting” at “crap” with regard to matching Head Sculpts.  If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times - probably just in the past month: TBLeague is sitting on the solution…

I recently tried a Jiaou Doll and there are pros and cons, comparatively; I’d still prefer to see Phicen / TBLeague Head Sculpts produced for their own bodies - guaranteed to fit in terms of skin tones and equally in proportion...  

It’s simplicity, it’s sensibility, it’s appropriateness…  However, when we face the facts; someone, somewhere, would simply prefer that you continue buying more and more Head Sculpts for which you may never have any use…  

Cui bono?

Anyway, I dare say that Geena’s worth the gamble, LOL - so I suppose that I’ll just stay stuck on stupid…

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
PureEnergy wrote:The dawn of the Digital Age seems to coincide with the decline of quality content coming out of Hollywood...  

I never expect much from sequels - which is not to sound cynical, but the fact being that they are generally repetitive in nature.  

Even if the original film were well done; sequels will be, necessarily, inherently, comparatively, considerably less original - and likely tainted by itchy-palmed executives apt to regard foremost those elements determined to have made the original film successful - with a subsequent directive to double-down on such (rendering sequels unlikely to be anything other than redundant).

But not everyone seems to mind the repetition, perhaps especially where and when it were so fondly found the first time around...  However, I’d say that inspiration is permanently altered by reaction - and typically so beyond any fair recognition of the original work; it may be difficult for some to admit that what remains is often mere incontrovertible nostalgia…

Worse yet than certain-to-disappoint sequels, in my opinion, are prequels.  With perhaps a few exceptions, these disjointed productions tend to be so incoherently cobbled that they may have had a snowball’s chance at worth if presented as entirely separate from their fosters, rather than attached by some tenuous or anomalous plot element prone to fail under even the most cursory of logic.  In general, prequels seem to be no more than shameful attempts to transform the successful singular into a franchise.

I don’t believe that any of the films mentioned in this thread were independent productions, which is to say that the mega-studios of Hollywood have a relatively new form of competition in the current era.  

Cinema has been suddenly challenged by amateurs with phone cams and “found footage” fodder for the masses, available at practically no cost.  This means that the big-budget productions may be scrambling and squandering expenses simply to distinguish themselves; quality seems to have been lately downgraded to a tertiary consideration, substantial only after the prospects of profit and popularity, if at all.  

Nevertheless, on an optimistic note, it is always only culturally environmental, and will therefore inevitably progress into whatever will be next in the cycle.  I suspect that Hollywood will eventually find a foothold in this shifting landscape, from which they may recover.  

In the interim, I will endeavor to understand that their position is likely one of desperation among chaos, and try not to judge any of the individual talents thereof that may have all but gone into survival mode.  

But the course will most naturally adjust, and all these matters ought to improve with time…  

PS:  Jack Sparrow still seems unnecessarily, and inexplicably, prissy…  

PPS: On an entirely irrelevant note…   Wink

Does anyone know if this Geena Sculpt would be compatible with a Phicen body?

Prequels, ouch,

Ridley Scott acts like he gave birth to the Alien franchise and it's his to do with as he pleases. Wrong, it was the brainchild of Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shusett, he was merely hired as a director. His bungling around with prequels that have nothing to do with Alien is killing that franchise. We are still no nearer to knowing who or what set off that beacon that led the Nostromo to LV-426 or what they were doing here.

Neill Blomkamp's project showed promise, but, it will never get made thanks to Mr Scott.

Anyway, I suspect Geena won't be too hard to come by as I don't think many of the units that come out will get sold.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
PureEnergy wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:I suffer from chronic depression so I only need movies to take me away from my perceived reality (obviously distorted due to depression, lack of endorphins) and inspire me to build figures which is why I am a sci-fi and fantasy fan mostly but love historical stuff too, mostly ancient and classic.

Well, I’d not have guessed that, Chop; you’ve a bright light, and your humor always seems refreshingly genuine.  I trust that you are adequately coping and can typically enjoy yourself as much as we enjoy you, sincerely.

Appreciation for escapism is certainly not limited to those with your condition, and I suspect that we all need it, to one degree or another.  While a chemical imbalance such as that which you’ve described is an altogether different animal than anyone’s ordinary episode of sadness or self-doubt; being human, it takes but a fair measure of empathy in order to understand, and I truly admire your fortitude.  

The moment is a naturally fleeting thing; all too often, it passes without reflection for most - but not quite so for you, I’d imagine.  I do not at all dismiss your struggles, however, I must also see you as perhaps exceptionally gifted - in that you are that much less likely to take a single smile for granted...  

Smile

Very sympathetic and wise words there PE thank you!!! It's hit or miss with the just coping or enjoying on a day to day basis... Wink

PureEnergy

Rogerbee wrote:Prequels, ouch,

Ridley Scott acts like he gave birth to the Alien franchise and it's his to do with as he pleases. Wrong, it was the brainchild of Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shusett, he was merely hired as a director. His bungling around with prequels that have nothing to do with Alien is killing that franchise. We are still no nearer to knowing who or what set off that beacon that led the Nostromo to LV-426 or what they were doing here.

Neill Blomkamp's project showed promise, but, it will never get made thanks to Mr Scott.

Anyway, I suspect Geena won't be too hard to come by as I don't think many of the units that come out will get sold.

CHEERS!

I really enjoyed the first two Alien films, but that were sufficient for me.  Well before it had been combined with Predator, I’d already felt rather Gigered out - and the latter actually lost me when it lost Arnold.

I can appreciate many such films strictly for their potential entertainment value; there are certainly far more banal ways in which one can waste 90 minutes…  

As I have said here, however, everything seems to be taking place during a shift with regard to current technology.  All that which Lucasfilm had been able to accomplish with miniatures is now typically generated via CG, green screen projection and performance capture.  The times are changing, and we’re within that very fluid moment as we speak…

It seems that everything is currently on the wheel - and Hollywood has always been somewhat enslaved to the revolutions of such.  I suppose that it’s the Cultural Product vs. Cultural Project argument; does one beget the other - and if so, in what order?  Or are they both equally legitimate forces?  

I have my own opinion, but it is rather that question, most in particular, that has become a glaring one with regard to the tech; consider, for instance, the real-time effects and instantaneous ramifications of what used to have to travel turtle-back by word-of-mouth.  In many ways, we, of a certain generational range, are still thinking in slow-motion.  

But my point had been this: “here” is not where we were yesterday, and will not be where we are tomorrow - and our ability to triangulate our present position is skewed by subjective relativity; all that we can really do is to note some apparent trajectory; however, keeping in mind that any accuracy regarding such calculations will be temporary at best - and therefore, where we are is ultimately indiscernible…  

Because one cannot step into the same river twice, proverbially…

And because the fish in the water has no vantage of perception for any actions ashore…  

While it sounds deep and difficult, it’s really rather simplistic: how could one ever say what the precise time is and be correct?  Meaning, upon the instance of perception - let alone the duration of communication - that moment has already passed…  

Again, the point that I had previously meant to make with regard to our perception of a current, apparent trajectory - that of Hollywood, specifically, and of film-making, in general - is necessarily skewed by the warp that is this early Digital Age…

(Anyone who has not lost the focus of this discussion truly deserves a badge, or something...)

LOL.

But please don’t blame me; I just came here for the Geena…  

Very Happy

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Depending on what state Stan Lee left his legacy in, we may see some changes to Hollywood again. Without his gentle hand on the tiller, it remains to be seen where the good ship Marvel will be heading. I'm hoping, much as I liked Stan, that we see a shift away from OTT comic book movies and go back to reality for a little while.

Bohemian Rhapsody has proved that there is still life in the biopics of the rich and famous. I'd like to see the life of say Bowie or Bolan on the big screen, maybe Janis Joplin too. Some dramatisations of real events wouldn't go amiss. A well made biopic about Monty would be great too. One that I'd kill to see would be a movie about the making of the 1933 King Kong, now there's a story worth telling!

Anything from that kind of movie would be welcome from Blitzway....

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Did you see Talon Edgerton is going to be playing Elton John in an upcoming biopic, Roger?

pirate - NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams - Page 3 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yes, there was a trailer for it when I saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It does look good.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Did you see Talon Edgerton is going to be playing Elton John in an upcoming biopic, Roger?

Rogerbee wrote:
Yes, there was a trailer for it when I saw Bohemian Rhapsody. It does look good.

CHEERS!

I love the tag line 'Based on real life fantasy!' Laughing

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Made a shed ton of money at the box office and the cast are up for awards. Not bad for four aging queens!

CHEERS!

PureEnergy

Well, how we blindfold ourselves, spin around in little circles and then try to put the tail to the donkey derriere.  LOL…

I’m going to take just a piece of this far-reaching topic and try to narrow the focus a bit for a moment, and perhaps pin that proverbial tail where it belongs with some appropriate relevance…  

Mr. Rogerbee, you had first mentioned the new Queen biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody; while I am a fan of the music and have appreciation for the acting ability of Rami Malek (who portrays Freddie Mercury) - and, although, admittedly, I’ve not yet viewed the film - I dare say that he may not have been anyone’s ideal choice for that role.  

I have read a few reviews, one of which had critically stated that the PG rating of this picture about an omnisexual rock “diva” who had led an extremely X-rated lifestyle resulted with certain elements important to the whole of Mercury’s story being very carefully exsected, so as to allow the film much more mass appeal.  If that’s accurate, then that’s the sort of rewriting of history that I simply have to eschew.  

Another of the reasonable criticisms that I have heard is that Mr. Malek had been miscast here (apparently, the prosthetic buck teeth are distracting enough to have an inadvertent comical effect) - not to mention several physical appearance and ethnic discrepancies (Egyptian, as opposed to Indian); the overarching point being simply that proper casting does, indeed, matter…  

(Rami may make a better Prince, I might imagine - which would certainly be a story worth the telling, and an entirely bankable one)…

I’d recently watched the new remake of Papillon, in which Malek portrays Louis Dega (a role which had originally been aced by Dustin Hoffman); while I found the film to be a decent re-envisioning, it did suffer in a few ways by comparison.  I’d have to say that the first of which would be that Charlie Hunnam’s performance does not hold a candle to that of the late Steve McQueen, whose talent is perhaps somewhat easier to appreciate now more so than ever.  

But another issue I’d had were the casting choice of Malek as Dega; again, just not ideal - and since Malek landed both roles, it does make one wonder what outlandishness would have been the notion of casting Hoffman to play Freddie Mercury; so perhaps the idea of Malek as Mercury ought to have been comparably silly.

You had also mentioned that you’d like to see a Janis Joplin bio, as would I - however, that sounds like a very tall order, sir.  Again, with regard to casting, perhaps most in particular; to be worthy, I fear that such would essentially require another Janis to portray Janis, and I’m just not sure that there are any at the moment - truly, there may never be another.  

This actually brings us back to Geena Davis and to Cutthroat Island, quite conveniently…  

As a matter of casting, I think that Geena Davis had been perfect for that role, although I can’t say the same about the supporting troupe.  

In particular, Matthew Modine, who is a decent actor, seemed to have taken his role less seriously than Ms. Davis did.  Not that the film weren’t clearly intentionally tongue-in-cheek, but that each of the performers seemed to be operating on different levels of shtick - and perhaps yet different from that of the direction and production, even.  In retrospect, given the era in which this film was released - that of a very male-dominated business with a certain tendency toward sexism; Geena, being an extraordinarily intelligent, talented, strong-willed woman - that fact, in itself, is enough to make one wonder if there were not some degree of intentional sabotage involved with the production; such as, in the abysmal interest of attempting to “put a woman in her place” in this business.  

For Modine, it may have been a simple professional misstep, since it seemed to have something of an adverse effect upon his career - from which I don’t think he has yet, nor likely ever will, recover.  Davis, however, is fine, to be sure.  She’s been cemented by such solid performances as in The Fly and that epic flagship of 90’s Women’s Liberation that were Thelma & Louise.  

In short, this could have been a much better film had the casting choices around Geena been made perhaps somewhat finer.

Did you know that Geena Davis is a member of Mensa?  Which is to say that her brain is among the top two percentile of the population with regard to a calculable quotient...  

Amusingly, the truth is that most likely everyone, inside and outside of Hollywood, is, quite literally, comparatively, thinking in slow-motion!  

That’s the Geena…

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This has been canceled by the manufacturer. I was actually looking forward to this, but it’s not surprising.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh no, that's a shame! It looked really cool!  Sad

And even though the thread is super old and no one cares... I'll just chime in to say that I freaking loved Black Sails. One of my top fave tv shows in the last several years. Wish someone would make a line of figures from it so badly!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Mmm, perhaps they decided that they weren't going to make any money. Princess Bride might have been a better choice.

CHEERS!

shazzdan

shazzdan
Rogerbee wrote: Mmm, perhaps they decided that they weren't going to make any money. Princess Bride might have been a better choice.

QMX have already done a pretty good Westley. I bought one for Xmas.
https://qmxonline.com/products/westley-aka-the-dread-pirate-roberts-1-6-scale-articulated-figure

pirate - NEW PRODUCT: Blitzway New: 1/6 "Cutthroat Island" - Morgan Adams / Morgan Adams - Page 3 QMx_PB_Westley_1-6_Articulated-01_988x988_4bc07595-778b-402b-a727-83b57e8dc584

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I love that Westley/Dread Pirate Roberts... hope I can manage to get him at some point. Though also waiting to see if they make others from the film.

JohnByng

Biopics should wait until the person is dead. If Elton John has approved the script then it is likely to veer from the truth.

They should make a biopic of Neil Innes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplGAiqgPwQ

As to pirate movies, I am not a huge fan. I did enjoy PotC because it was silly and fun, but for me Walter Mathau is the greatest pirate; I really enjoyed the Roman Polanski film. Bob Hope was good too!

Maybe they will make an Alien movie with pirates? That would be a real money-spinner!

shazzdan

shazzdan
JohnByng wrote:Maybe they will make an Alien movie with pirates? That would be a real money-spinner!
I'd see that.

Delanie

Delanie
I quite liked Cut throat island it ranked along with neverending story and the goonies in my book being fun movies.

PotC was good in that it brought the movie ride to life (a ride which I liked to tell my ex husband he'd broke , the boat we were in ran aground at the top of the first drop!) but 'sparrow drove me nuts in the subsequent films and the ending of 3 well that just plain wrong.

Alien was the first movie i snuck into under age I actually quite enjoyed it although like many scifi films i couldn't get my head around why they were wasting all of the resources in the ship dripping water, why was the rig pressurised what a waste of air in a spacecraft. Original was okay second not so bad 3 appalling even the book was terrible. 4 not so bad although see my above comments re water etc. but the 'moma' moma ending give me a break

Predator good action movie with Arnie pretty lack luster afterwards.

Black sails i liked the few i watched although I was playing Black Flag at the time and found that better not necessarily from the story but that it encouraged me to look up the history behind it I found Black sails at least those episodes i saw didn't go into the historical characters enough heck they just seemed almost whimpy to me.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote: Mmm, perhaps they decided that they weren't going to make any money. Princess Bride might have been a better choice.

https://qmxonline.com/products/westley-aka-the-dread-pirate-roberts-1-6-scale-articulated-figure

Ohh, so they did!

They haven't done Inigo or the villain yet though.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Delanie wrote:I quite liked Cut throat island it ranked along with neverending story and the goonies in my book being fun movies.

PotC was good in that it brought the movie ride to life (a ride which I liked to tell my ex husband he'd broke , the boat we were in ran aground at the top of the first drop!) but 'sparrow drove me nuts in the subsequent films and the ending of 3 well that just plain wrong.

Alien was the first movie i snuck into under age I actually quite enjoyed it although like many scifi films i couldn't get my head around why they were wasting all of the resources in the ship dripping water, why was the rig pressurised what a waste of air in a spacecraft. Original was okay second not so bad 3 appalling even the book was terrible. 4 not so bad although see my above comments re water etc. but the 'moma' moma ending give me a break

Predator good action movie with Arnie pretty lack luster afterwards.

Black sails i liked the few i watched although I was playing Black Flag at the time and found that better not necessarily from the story but that it encouraged me to look up the history behind it I found Black sails at least those episodes i saw didn't go into the historical characters enough heck they just seemed almost whimpy to me.

I didn’t care for Cutthroat Island when I first saw it, but about three years ago I gave it a chance and found it really wasn’t bad at all — it reminded me of the old pirate films of Flynn and Lancaster — silly fun, as you say. I think POTC succeeded because Johnny Depp wasn’t the main focus — he shared the spotlight with Bloom and Knightly — which helped balance Depp’s usual over-the-top antics. I honestly didn’t care much for 2 & 3 — mainly because of the poor handling of pretty much all the other characters, and that crap ending for Will and Elizabeth. 4 was a little better — though mostly because of Ian McShane (and the mermaids). 5 was pretty good due mainly to the fact that they went back to the formula which made the first one successful— balance out Depp’s lunacy with more screen time and character development for all the other characters — and, at least, they corrected the moronic ending of the third movie with Will and Elizabeth FINALLY getting a happy ending.

Rogerbee wrote:
shazzdan wrote:

Ohh, so they did!

They haven't done Inigo or the villain yet though.

CHEERS!

I have the sinking feeling that QMX has given up on Princess Bride — aside from Nanjin’s commitment to Star Trek, QMX has really shown that when it comes to 1/6 they really don’t have a clue. They clearly are too stupid to understand how the 1/6 market works. Star Trek has had some missteps, but with Nanjin pushing them, they’ve managed to overcome and keep the product moving, but with Princess Bride, Supernatural and Firefly, they unwisely sat back waiting for a single figure from each franchise to sell out and never put out anything else. When they put one figure up for PO, they should have been teasing the next figure in the series, and when the first figure started to hit the customers’ hands, the next one should have gone up for PO. They did none of that and wondered why the franchises died before they had a chance to sell — clearly whoever is running the 1/6 division of their company is a complete moron. There has been continuous complaining about getting only one of the brothers from Supernatural, Mal from Firefly — and now Westley without Inigo, Buttercup, etc. it’s always great to see companies stepping up and doing this stuff, but it’s frustrating as hell when those companies turn out to be a bunch of imbeciles.

Now, as much as I’m bummed that this got canceled, I can understand the reasoning if they didn’t get enough POs to justify the factory expense. Sadly this figure wasn’t getting a lot of love from the get-go from the usual unimaginative collectors who instead want more Aliens, Predators, Terminators, Batman’s, etc.

Anyway... sorry for the rant.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I have the sinking feeling that QMX has given up on Princess Bride — aside from Nanjin’s commitment to Star Trek, QMX has really shown that when it comes to 1/6 they really don’t have a clue. They clearly are too stupid to understand how the 1/6 market works. Star Trek has had some missteps, but with Nanjin pushing them, they’ve managed to overcome and keep the product moving, but with Princess Bride, Supernatural and Firefly, they unwisely sat back waiting for a single figure from each franchise to sell out and never put out anything else. When they put one figure up for PO, they should have been teasing the next figure in the series, and when the first figure started to hit the customers’ hands, the next one should have gone up for PO. They did none of that and wondered why the franchises died before they had a chance to sell — clearly whoever is running the 1/6 division of their company is a complete moron. There has been continuous complaining about getting only one of the brothers from Supernatural, Mal from Firefly — and now Westley without Inigo, Buttercup, etc. it’s always great to see companies stepping up and doing this stuff, but it’s frustrating as hell when those companies turn out to be a bunch of imbeciles.

Now, as much as I’m bummed that this got canceled, I can understand the reasoning if they didn’t get enough POs to justify the factory expense. Sadly this figure wasn’t getting a lot of love from the get-go from the usual unimaginative collectors who instead want more Aliens, Predators, Terminators, Batmans, etc.

Speaking of which, are they simply re-releasing Kirk and Spock?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yes (and no). The heads are the same, but Nanjin had them make all new bodies — as people complained Spock was too buff — so, they had to re-tailor the uniforms (there was an upgrade on the rank insignia piping on Sulu’s uniform, I guess, which will also be on the remade uni’s). I’m glad people are able to get them again, but I have no intention of buying them again just for a couple of minor upgrades.

Edit: not sure if Kirk’s body is any different.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Such a shame about the QMX Princess Bride line.... would really have liked a Buttercup. :/

And don't worry about the rant... I totally understand.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
I have the sinking feeling that QMX has given up on Princess Bride — aside from Nanjin’s commitment to Star Trek, QMX has really shown that when it comes to 1/6 they really don’t have a clue. They clearly are too stupid to understand how the 1/6 market works. Star Trek has had some missteps, but with Nanjin pushing them, they’ve managed to overcome and keep the product moving, but with Princess Bride, Supernatural and Firefly, they unwisely sat back waiting for a single figure from each franchise to sell out and never put out anything else. When they put one figure up for PO, they should have been teasing the next figure in the series, and when the first figure started to hit the customers’ hands, the next one should have gone up for PO. They did none of that and wondered why the franchises died before they had a chance to sell — clearly whoever is running the 1/6 division of their company is a complete moron. There has been continuous complaining about getting only one of the brothers from Supernatural, Mal from Firefly — and now Westley without Inigo, Buttercup, etc. it’s always great to see companies stepping up and doing this stuff, but it’s frustrating as hell when those companies turn out to be a bunch of imbeciles.

Now, as much as I’m bummed that this got canceled, I can understand the reasoning if they didn’t get enough POs to justify the factory expense. Sadly this figure wasn’t getting a lot of love from the get-go from the usual unimaginative collectors who instead want more Aliens, Predators, Terminators, Batman’s, etc.

Anyway... sorry for the rant.

Yeah there is stuff that really should be done that just isn't, purely because they aren't marketed in the way they should. I'd love to see new takes on the Universal horror stable, it's been SO many years since SSC did their line. The appeal of these movies still endures. It'd be nice to see a company fully take on HT with a full team that knows what they're doing. The players are all out there, they just need to come together as the right team. Marvel won't ride high forever and without Stan overseeing things I think that we may see a decline. What will HT do without their cash cow!?

The time will come...

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum