OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
This build was a bit different from the other Dwarves, much less complicated clothing but a far more challenging body to build; I used the same base body and heavily modified it like the others for added articulation and wide shoulders etc...but also had to build a full body 'fat suit' that required an unbelievable amount of foam layers and even 1/1 rope! I didn't bother to make his ladle as I never liked it and as the company's cook he would have some of the best knives; it also makes him fit in better with the rest of the Dwarves. Peter The Painter did the great head sculpt, I added the real hair and a lot of the paint but not the eyes...I'm useless at painting eyes! I glossed them though...

Bombur was a Dwarf who accompanied Thorin Oakenshield and Bilbo Baggins on their journey to the Lonely Mountain. His brother Bofur and cousin Bifur also were part of the company. Bombur was by far the fattest Dwarf in the company.
Bombur's parentage is unknown; the only familial connections mentioned are his brother Bofur and his cousin Bifur. Bombur was not of Durin's line although he was descended from Dwarves of Moria. His birth year is also unknown, however, from Bilbo Baggins' account from the quest to Erebor it is known that the brothers Fíli and Kíli were the youngest of the 13 "by some fifty years" and that after Thorin had been captured, Balin was "the eldest left". Since Fíli was born in TA 2859 and Balin was born in TA 2763, this would put Bombur's birth between 2763 and 2809, and he would have been between 132 and 178 years old during the quest to Erebor. Prior to the quest Bombur probably lived in the Blue Mountains with Thorin after the loss of Thráin II.

Bombur was the twelfth Dwarf to arrive at Bag End for the meeting arranged by Gandalf, which became the outset of the Quest of Erebor. Because he was commonly considered to count for two dwarves on account of his girth, he was the last to arrive at Beorn's house and the last to cross the Enchanted stream in Mirkwood. Bombur was first introduced when he tumbled with Bifur and Bofur onto Thorin when they entered Bag End. He chose to stay and guard the camp and supplies while the others moved up the Lonely Mountain because he trusted neither mountain paths nor ropes to stay intact under his weight. Later though, he was forced to use the ropes to escape the rampaging dragon Smaug before he could be slain.

Bombur fell asleep at several key moments during the journey to the Lonely Mountain; when he is violently knocked into the Mirkwood River by an aggressive stag, he falls under a spell that makes him sleep for days, burdening the others with his weight as they walked on. While he is on a midnight lookout in the fortified Lonely Mountain, Bilbo promises to keep watch so that he can sleep a bit longer and take another watch later (Bilbo used this opportunity to sneak the Arkenstone out of the mountain and to give it to the Elvenking and Bard the Bowman). Incidentally, he was asleep when they opened his barrel after escaping the Elves of Mirkwood and also when Bilbo discovered the secret entrance to Lonely Mountain. Bombur is always last and doesn't enjoy it, for he usually comes on his own (due to his girth making most count him for two dwarves). When the Dwarves, Gandalf, and Bilbo meet Beorn, Bombur comes last at the request of Gandalf, coming along right after Bifur and Bofur leave him behind and head to Beorn's house (Instead of waiting the five minutes as he was instructed to by Gandalf). He fought and survived along with most of the company at the Battle of the Five Armies. Following the defeat of Smaug, Dain II Ironfoot gave him his share of the treasure and he remained to live at the Lonely Mountain until the end of his days.
In The Lord of the Rings, many years later, Frodo Baggins inquires after Bombur and learns from Glóin that he has grown so fat it takes several Dwarves to lift him to the dinner table. It is unlikely that Bombur fought in the Battle of Dale due to his obesity.

n Peter Jackson's Hobbit film trilogy, Bombur can be seen using a number of different weapons and tools to fight off enemies. His primary weapon is an iron ladle, which he wields during An Unexpected Journey. He also uses a cleaver or butcher's knife to slash enemies. In The Desolation of Smaug, he uses the same weapons but usually wields an axe. Of course, his greatest weapon is his size which he uses to crush and bounce away opponents. Bombur and his family are not classically trained fighters but are lethal with any sort of tool in their hands.

He also is surprisingly agile for a dwarf of his size and weight. He is very capable of performing stunts such as when, in the second film, he pole vaults into a barrel. He has an astonishing degree of durability, and can withstand a hard landing on a great number of Orcs, and also absorbs an incredible amount of momentum in the process, without breaking a limb or causing himself any visible degree of injury. In addition, he is a quick thinker and uses his ingenuity frequently to help push past Orcs or leap across gaps.

In Peter Jackson's live-action The Hobbit films, he was portrayed by Stephen Hunter. In 2012, the studio released the following statement about Bombur in the upcoming trilogy:

Brother to Bofur and cousin to Bifur, Bombur is the chief cook amongst The Company of Dwarves. His immense size and voracious appetite causes frequent problems – and laughter – for himself and The Traveling Party. Despite his size he can be surprisingly effective as a fighter – and woe betide anyone who makes him late for dinner!

Unlike in the book, Bombur appears less frequently and has virtually no dialogue in the films other than grunts or retorts. In the extended edition of the third film, he speaks after the axe in Bifur's head is removed. Throughout the films he is largely a source of comic relief, most of which pertains to his size and love of eating; such as catching food in midair, being able to outrun his fellow Dwarves despite his girth, exceptional fighting skills, even under duress, breaking a table under his own weight with the addition of merely an ounce of food in his hand.

Reference pics:

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Ye9NGEX

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit GhHfO5K

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit OZlpPKg

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit GTmqtJT

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit DagWxXq

My build:

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit KFDmnyj

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit QQfC6ZV

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit ZPzDzb3

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 1K19RUS

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 0baQO8D

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Bn3nKv0

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit ZzH0eG4

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit OQfpnfo

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit A9dUIAo

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit VgTQIHf

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit CH9U3Yc

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 5ugShRh

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Xg1Nv3S

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Zrq45sY

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit AIXiZOg

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit HzfOOjF

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 0felRqi

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit UdWQrRs

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Cj8tLWU

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit XjlSFJT

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit MYhMIlC

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit LdaEMIN

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit SnnZAEk

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 5adzyux

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit F8KBtm6

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit JVlG8An

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit F4J2lP1

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit OKNNON4

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 1nO5nCI

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit AQabAej

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit A9taZro

PureEnergy

Splendid, as anticipated - and, he fits your collection quite nicely.

Well and properly, good sir.

peter the painter

Alex congratulations, wonderful work on Bombur, every detail is beautifully realised, he is a great addition to an enviable collection of figures.

Cheers,

Peter.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
PureEnergy wrote:Splendid, as anticipated - and, he fits your collection quite nicely.

Well and properly, good sir.

Thank you PE! Looking at that ladle again I'm thinking it might actually be a smelting ladle as it's way too heavy for just stew! So might make a more geometric one in keeping with Dwarven designs.

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Huge-heavy-antique-cast-iron-ladle-old-blacksmithing-tool-or-lead-melting-pot-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-z31628-2

peter the painter wrote:Alex congratulations, wonderful work on Bombur, every detail is beautifully realised, he is a great addition to an enviable collection of figures.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter! I think I'll add some more hair to his cheeks and back of his head using orange Fun Fur to give him his more hamster like look.

shazzdan

shazzdan
shovelchop81 wrote:Thank you PE! Looking at that ladle again I'm thinking it might actually be a smelting ladle as it's way too heavy for just stew!

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit Huge-heavy-antique-cast-iron-ladle-old-blacksmithing-tool-or-lead-melting-pot-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-z31628-2

Yes it is a smelting ladle but it is also what you'd expect Dwarves to use to serve food. It is a good example of Dwarven utilitarianism:
"Why would I have two different ladles when I can use the same one for both? Look how solid it is. Multi-functional it is. In addition to eating and smelting, I can smack an orc in the face with it."

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done and a very fine addition to your growing fellowship of dwarves. Was he eating Brussels Sprouts?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is fantastic. The level of detail you put into all these builds... He looks great. Really like all his accessories.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
Bombur is love, Bombur is life. <3

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:Thank you PE! Looking at that ladle again I'm thinking it might actually be a smelting ladle as it's way too heavy for just stew!

Yes it is a smelting ladle but it is also what you'd expect Dwarves to use to serve food. It is a good example of Dwarven utilitarianism:
"Why would I have two different ladles when I can use the same one for both? Look how solid it is. Multi-functional it is. In addition to eating and smelting, I can smack an orc in the face with it."

Laughing With the lower class Dwarves certainly but I think Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili would have 12 piece cutlery sets for dinner, hell Thorin has 3 swords in the movies and a bow! Royalty don't you know.. Wink

GubernatorFan wrote:Beautifully done and a very fine addition to your growing fellowship of dwarves. Was he eating Brussels Sprouts?

LOL! if they grow on Dagoba! all the food comes from Yoda's hut Wink

Stryker2011 wrote:That is fantastic. The level of detail you put into all these builds... He looks great. Really like all his accessories.

Cheers Stryker! I might add some brass accents to his knives like on my 16" Bowie knife

My Finished Custom Bombur The Dwarf From The Hobbit 38904015_1125856034229909_6237763102004215808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1

Ovy wrote:Bombur is love, Bombur is life. <3

Okay...been enjoying some good recreational substances have we? Very Happy Wink

PureEnergy

shovelchop81 wrote:
shazzdan wrote:

Laughing  With the lower class Dwarves certainly but I think Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili would have 12 piece cutlery sets for dinner, hell Thorin has 3 swords in the movies and a bow! Royalty don't you know.. Wink

Now, Chop, surely you do not mean to suggest that nobility and utility must be mutually exclusive...  

“ipsa scientia potestas est…”

Wink

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Well I can't see the Queen making figures from odds and ends! ;-)

PureEnergy

shovelchop81 wrote:Well I can't see the Queen making figures from odds and ends! ;-)

Different odds and different ends, but I do have to suspect that she does tinker...  It’s no faux pas

But then, Her Majesty is not a Dwarf…  Nor are they quite at the palace…  

They’re on the road, are they not?  Some notions of aristocratic etiquette are perhaps best reserved for the manor parlor…

Your figure, your call - and he’s well done, indeed…  

But admit it: you just don’t feel like making that ladle, do you?  LOL.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
You turned him around pretty quick, still brill though!

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:You turned him around pretty quick, still brill though!

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger! Well I did choose him as he was a simple build by comparison to Balin or Gloin for example as I'm a bit burnt out on Dwarves for the moment but will get back on them soon enough with Oin being the next one, already done all the reference research for him.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Oin out, Oin out, shake it all about...

I'm sure he'll be another winner.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum