OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tools of the Trade (Update 1/5/19... Post #35)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PureEnergy

Tools of the Trade?

As a novice, I would like to ask you veterans: what are some of the requisite tools that one might need to be considered well-equipped for these endeavors?  

(I am reserved to the seamless figures - so my question rather regards those in particular.)  

Already recognized is the need for a Dremel, and I happened to have one at hand, fortunately...    

Most recently, I purchased a tube of benzoyl peroxide for stain treatments; it certainly seems to serve its purpose - if so in some eventuality…  

So what other essentials would be worth adding to the tool shed?

I appreciate any and all advice, sincerely, and many thanks in advance!  

N

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hair dryer for heating = softening hard plastic hands or (if needed) heads and feet.
X-acto knife for slicing off necks from heads that come with them sculpted on.
Silicon finishing powder to protect the silicone rubbery flesh/skin.

shazzdan

shazzdan
1. Dremel. Can't go half an hour without using it for something.
2. Small bench-sander/grinding-stone
3. Glues. Adhesives for attaching various combinations of wood/metal/plastic/leather/cloth.
4. Scalpel blade.
4. Ear protection. My hearing has been badly damaged from using power tools without protection. These days I use noise-cancelling earphones and listen to audio books while working.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Tweezers
Forceps
Jewelers screw driver set
Sewing needles and thread
a Dremel
needle-nose pliers
Magnifying glass (preferably one with a stand and light)
Different types of glue and epoxies (crazy glue, fabric glue, etc.)
blu-tac
Distilled vinegar (for soaking clothing —particularly anything black or red; but I soak everything)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Tools of the Trade (Update 1/5/19...  Post #35) C8485110

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Oh, fun question!  All agreed so far.  I'll try to just list a few not mentioned:

Jewel's saw - You can get some cleaner, finer cuts with it, and can really get in to some areas.

Styrogoo Foam adhesive - For working with insulation foam backgrounds.  Took me forever until I found this, and it's the only glue that really works with insulation foam.  https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/-028SG--StyroGoo-.html

Zap-A-Gap - Has a lot of uses, and works on a lot of stuff stuff crazy glue doesn't.  Feel like I discovered this late too.

Contact Cement - My other go to adhesive.  Fast drying, high tack, and the perfect thing for wigging a head.  

Instamorph - Meltable plastic beads.  I use it to fill in areas, especially if there's too much room in a head, and I need to fill in around a socket.

Cuticle scissors - super sharp, and good to get into tiny areas.

Reverse action tweezers - I felt like an idiot for doing things so long without these.  They improved my life immensely.  

Set of small files - Obvious, but a must have.

I'll have to look at my tools when I'm in front of them, and see if I have any other secret tricks.

I also suggest checking out Micromark.com . Tons of amazing tools for modeling. I've struggled with projects only to find tools on that site that simply do what I was trying to do effortlessly.

http://reverendspooky.com

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
All above and:
Hand drills, small medium, large
acrylic paint
Sharpie markers
glue gun
as many screw drivers as you can find
vicegrips
a vice
foam sanding pads of many grit levels
clamps, lots of clamps!
sponge for painting with
000 Italeri real hair brushes
silicone oil especially for seamless bodies
digital calipers
soldering iron
Tupperware for parts storage
good compartmentalised tool box
cotton buds
acetone free nail polish remover
clear nail polish
airbrush...

It's a never ending list mate, you'll pick stuff up as you start to need it Wink

PureEnergy

Guv, a hairdryer, specifically?  Proof that nothing can be quite accurately presumed; one would likely think that everyone has one, however, I do not own one of my own.  I do have a heat gun, which I’ve used to soften neck sockets - but it’s a tricky bit of business because there is no means of adjusting the setting - and it’s immediately hell hot.  I suppose that a hairdryer would be definitely more practical, especially for Hands.  I have used hot water to soften plastic, also - but your recommendation seems altogether simpler.  Duly noted, and many thanks!

Shazz, “power tools?”  I don’t plan to jackhammer anything, LOL, but I do hear your point…  I used to stand sandwiched between crowds of screaming fans and the massive concert amps of rock bands; decibels, indeed, I understand…  Feel fortunate that you can still hear those audio books. Thank you for the solid suggestions.

Stryker, seriously, vinegar?  I have tried and tried without avail to reduce staining by pre-washing my material.  Despite the all-out olfactory assault that vinegar poses, that’s been perhaps the missing ingredient.  Can you attest to it?  Detergent alone is certainly ineffective.  Thank you, sincerely.

Spooks, that’s a lot - much of which has never crossed my mind because I did not know that it existed, such as the various alternative adhesives that you’d mentioned.  Also, those beads would be useful for a plethora of details, I might imagine.  I would appreciate you being perhaps a bit more specific as to what you mean by “Contact Cement,” though.  Cuticle scissors?  Indeed.

Stryker and Spooks, jeweler’s tools?  Most excellent.  

Chop, that’s just it; I’d asked because I have noticed that, with this art, the progress seems rather slow-going.  One will place multiple orders for specific items that will essentially be components of a singular project, and then one waits - not uncommonly for a month or more for some of those items to arrive from overseas - and when they do, only then does one discover the need for some certain tool or specific material in order to effectively repair, alter, modify, or simply utilize the goods.  To not have products for the resolution available at hand?  Ugh!  So in the interest of preparation, then, I’d say it’s much preferable to keep a stocked store with some of the fundamental necessities required for the actual crafting and maintenance aspects.  That’s the idea, anyway…  Your list: clamps, calipers?  Absolutely…  Soldering iron?  Nail polish and remover?  Please explain the potential use for those…  Thank you for adding your own maniacal instruments of total devastation to this continuing catalog.  

Ah, truly, nothing's ever quite as obvious as it may seem…

Many thanks again for all your generous recommendations so far, gentlemen.  I’ll surely be referencing these particulars while making out my list for Santa…

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
A hairdryer is a must.

Yes, distilled vinegar. Dilute it with water for the first soak. The second soak should be with soapy water to get rid of the vinegar as much as possible, and then a good rinse.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yes, I didn't own a hairdryer either, but now I do for working with sixth-scale plastic stuff.

My list was shorter because I was focusing on the bodies and heads/hands/feet that attach to them; many of the other suggestions you got encompassed various additional aspects of working in this scale.

I should also list foamies, which can be used for a variety of pertinent purposes but I most frequently bring them up as material to stuff into a head opening if you cannot or would not use an inside neck connector.

Mr. Razz

Mr. Razz
My "tools of the trade"? I'm simple, I just use a table saw and some RTV...

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
powerenergy wrote:Chop, that’s just it; I’d asked because I have noticed that, with this art, the progress seems rather slow-going. One will place multiple orders for specific items that will essentially be components of a singular project, and then one waits - not uncommonly for a month or more for some of those items to arrive from overseas - and when they do, only then does one discover the need for some certain tool or specific material in order to effectively repair, alter, modify, or simply utilize the goods. To not have products for the resolution available at hand? Ugh! So in the interest of preparation, then, I’d say it’s much preferable to keep a stocked store with some of the fundamental necessities required for the actual crafting and maintenance aspects. That’s the idea, anyway… Your list: clamps, calipers? Absolutely… Soldering iron? Nail polish and remover? Please explain the potential use for those… Thank you for adding your own maniacal instruments of total devastation to this continuing catalog.

Sure grab the basics beforehand but the more 'job specific' stuff can wait until you need it, I just don't like to see people blowing wads of cash at the beginning of a hobby that may not pan out in the end. I've been dong this on and off for decades and I'm a motorcycle mechanic with a degree in product design so I had loads of tools anyway. The soldering iron is for any electrics you might want to incorporate such as LEDs, sound chips, motors etc.. and it's useful for sculpting plastic (wear a respirator not just a dust mask, you can add those to the list too). The acetone free nail polish remover is great for stripping paint on plastics without melting them like regular acetone does.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
PureEnergy wrote:Stryker, seriously, vinegar?  I have tried and tried without avail to reduce staining by pre-washing my material.  Despite the all-out olfactory assault that vinegar poses, that’s been perhaps the missing ingredient.  Can you attest to it?  Detergent alone is certainly ineffective.  Thank you, sincerely.

Spooks, that’s a lot - much of which has never crossed my mind because I did not know that it existed, such as the various alternative adhesives that you’d mentioned.  Also, those beads would be useful for a plethora of details, I might imagine.  I would appreciate you being perhaps a bit more specific as to what you mean by “Contact Cement,” though.  Cuticle scissors?  Indeed.

Stryker and Spooks, jeweler’s tools?  Most excellent.  

Yeah, I can attest that vinegar definitely helps to set the dye.  Pleather and vinyl may just be hopeless, but with other materials, it's usually that the manufacturer didn't set the dyes properly.  The other way to go is use some soda ash, which you can get here: https://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/soda-ash-fixer.html

Contact cement is a lot of fun.  You can get at any Lowes or Home Depot, and it's a really gooey adhesive. It's intended to put on both surfaces, let dry for a minute or 2 until it's just tacky, and then press together.  Instant strong bond.  But because it's thick and dries quick (not fully cured, but dry enough to work with) it just grabs and sets up differently than a lot of other adhesives. It's great for stuff like adding hair, since it grabs on to the material quickly, so when you're working in layers, it lets you keep going without waiting long for previous layers to dry, or for it to be strong enough to hold.  (I keep thinking about doing a tutorial on wigging a head, since it's so helpful a skill, and I've been asked about it) But play with it a bit and you'll get a sense for how it will be helpful over other adhesives for certain projects.  It's also caustic as hell, so wear rubber glove.  Sometimes I don't and it beats up my finger tips pretty badly.

Tools of the Trade (Update 1/5/19...  Post #35) 87270182-a6da-41c9-beab-f1bd04508a44_2.f5b0c6a91de40146784ec659878963c8

shovelchop81 wrote:
powerenergy wrote:Chop, that’s just it; I’d asked because I have noticed that, with this art, the progress seems rather slow-going.  One will place multiple orders for specific items that will essentially be components of a singular project, and then one waits - not uncommonly for a month or more for some of those items to arrive from overseas - and when they do, only then does one discover the need for some certain tool or specific material in order to effectively repair, alter, modify, or simply utilize the goods.  To not have products for the resolution available at hand?  Ugh!  So in the interest of preparation, then, I’d say it’s much preferable to keep a stocked store with some of the fundamental necessities required for the actual crafting and maintenance aspects.  That’s the idea, anyway…  Your list: clamps, calipers?  Absolutely…  Soldering iron?  Nail polish and remover?  Please explain the potential use for those…  Thank you for adding your own maniacal instruments of total devastation to this continuing catalog.  

Sure grab the basics beforehand but the more 'job specific' stuff can wait until you need it, I just don't like to see people blowing wads of cash at the beginning of a hobby that may not pan out in the end. I've been dong this on and off for decades and I'm a motorcycle mechanic with a degree in product design so I had loads of tools anyway. The soldering iron is for any electrics you might want to incorporate such as LEDs, sound chips, motors etc.. and it's useful for sculpting plastic (wear a respirator not just a dust mask, you can add those to the list too). The acetone free nail polish remover is great for stripping paint on plastics without melting them like regular acetone does.

PureEnergy, I totally get where you're coming from.  It sucks when you've got momentum on a project, and you have to put it aside while you wait for the right tools or materials to arrive.  Chop is totally right in that it's hard to encourage someone to shell out all at once for all the tools you've accrued over the years, since everyone decides to pursue different avenues of customization, and will sometimes will go really hard at certain things (say painting) and never bother with others (like casting).  But it really is great when someone lets you in on something they've stumbled on, that you may not discover on your own.  I can't even remember all the times I've discovered some new tool or material, and thought back on all the times I'd done something the hard way previously. Or mentioned something offhand that saves you from a disaster on your own project (Chop's acetone vs acetone free nail polish remover above is a great example). I have learned so much over the years from the collective knowledge of this forum, as well as previous boards (and still feel like a novice at this).  It's that kind of sharing of information along with a shared passion for this hobby that really makes this community what it is.

http://reverendspooky.com

shazzdan

shazzdan
Handy tip: I use a lot of tiny rhinestones in my science gizmos and they are real finnicky. If you get a short length of dried spaghetti and wet the end, it becomes tacky. The perfect tool for picking up rhinestones.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:Handy tip: I use a lot of tiny rhinestones in my science gizmos and they are real finnicky. If you get a short length of dried spaghetti and wet the end, it becomes tacky. The perfect tool for picking up rhinestones.

Now that's a whacky but ingenious solution! I end up dropping a good 20% of my rhinestones on the carpet... they glint at me mocking me in the night under my lights!

PE: Something else you'll want to look at if you ever decide to do casting, is Vinamold. It's reusable mould making rubber like material that can be melted in your microwave to pour, cool and harden into a silicone like mould. Then when no longer needed it can be cut up and remelted to use again indefinitely or until you inadvertently over cook it which turns it into a fascinating ever expanding, stinking, bubbling monster that you have to rush outside with and watch it morph into an alien landscape! Which incidently is exactly what I used it for with some custom Star Wars builds and a medieval battle ground dio too when I made that mistake! Laughing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinamold-Red-Hot-Pour-Reusable-Mould-Making-Rubber-1kg-Used-plaster-etc-/262005385275

PureEnergy

Guv, you didn’t own a hairdryer, either?  I rather pictured you under the type affixed upon a salon chair.  LOL.  So no Fabio locks underneath that helmet, then?  No cornrows?  Honestly, though, your advice had been much appreciated, and I never find it anything less than thorough.  I’d figured that you were merely busy making this little world turn, and, as always, I’d been grateful for your comments.  Indeed, I remain so, sir.  A hairdryer’s at the top of my list (sans the salon chair, of course), and thank you!  

Chop, yes, your recommendations about reservation with regard to certain specific tools makes great sense, but I don’t imagine that I could go overboard; if anything, I’ll be buying things well before I’m ready to use them, with perhaps a few select exceptions...  As something of a non-sequitur, I did that with my camera, which is quite beyond my current technical photography capabilities; however, I rather relish the fact that I have room in which to grow… You fix bikes; of course you do, Shovelchop.  I practically spent my early twenties riding.  I did not even own a car for quite some time while living aboard my boat.  I still love bikes, although I have since settled down into a much different lifestyle; those were wilder days, for sure.  Anyway, thanks again, madman.  

Spooks, after tearing apart my kitchen in a frenzied search for distilled vinegar, which I’d been certain were just behind the next particular - at last, eureka!  And yet, no, not quite so...  I’d been sure that I had some, and I do - but it’s apple cider vinegar, specifically.  So, my gold strike turns out to be iron pyrite, doesn't it?  It’s tragic that you say that pleather may be hopeless, because it happens to be among the materials for which I need the vinegar most particularly.  Also, that second rinse - I should take it that such eliminates the odor?  In truth, the imposition of having to choose between the risk of stains and the certainty of a lingering eau de douche would be enough to give me pause… Indeed, that adhesive seems ultimately practical, and thank you for elaborating - and also, for the caveat.  I will definitely be picking up some of that - along with rubber gloves.  

I don’t have any plans for casting, at least not yet; I’ve only been into this for a few months.  But as for much of the other tools and products mentioned herein, I’d say that most of those seem to qualify as fundamentals - which is quite precisely what I’d hoped to learn.  

Shazz, I’d remarked your mentioning the use of rhinestones.  Indeed, wet spaghetti is a brilliant solution...  Now that’s what one might call using your noodle!  Many thanks for the pro tip; I could probably do this for twenty years without ever thinking of that, and yet, it makes so much sense; the tack of pasta is just ridiculous; one could practically build bridges with it.  Thanks for your advice, sir.  It’s always very much appreciated.  

And Chop, your rhinestones being animated in the moonlight, winking up at you in insolence; sounds like you could use a spaghetti mop…  I will certainly keep "Instamold" in mind - why, if only for spectacular phenomena.  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  

Sincerely, thank you for all your graciousness.  I realize that the whole trial-and-error process is not only inevitable, but that it also ultimately results in positive experience from which one is to learn.  However, some folk seem to become so embittered by their own error that they are reluctant to share what they have learned, and may yet hope - as in, some form of schadenfreude - that others will also experience those same failures…  

I suppose that what I mean to say is, simply, thank you all again for being above that sort of selfish, diminutive mentality.  

I am sincerely humbled by the collective knowledge of all you skillful artisans.

Again, thank you!

(Santa’s going to need a bigger sled.)  Smile

shazzdan

shazzdan
PureEnergy wrote:Shazz, “power tools?”  I don’t plan to jackhammer anything, LOL, but I do hear your point…  I used to stand sandwiched between crowds of screaming fans and the massive concert amps of rock bands; decibels, indeed, I understand…  Feel fortunate that you can still hear those audio books. Thank you for the solid suggestions.

My Dremel is responsible for most of my hearing loss. It emits a higher frequency of sound than most power tools.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:My Dremel is responsible for most of my hearing loss. It emits a higher frequency of sound than most power tools.

Yep.

Plus, it’s not just a matter of how loud, or the frequency, it’s the repetative nature. I lost half my hearing years ago, thanks to gun-fire and playing drums in a metal band. Now I have a job where the constant thrum of Diesel engines has slowly eroded even more of my hearing (that, and loud pipes on my motorcycle). It won’t be long before I need hearing aids.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I have tinnitus, but that was caused by The Who. I have used much of what the others have used too. The one thing I can add is a pair of Xuron 440 high precision scissors. They are tough as hell and will even trim vinyl without needing to heat it. They are much more precise than getting a scalpel through cooling vinyl, which means that the blade will slip. Xuron have a massive range and they are well worth checking out for other handy stuff.

I too have a Dremel, which I must dig out of the garage before I move...

CHEERS!

shazzdan

shazzdan
I've been looking at Xuron scissors. What's the difference between the 440 and the 441?

MarkEl

This is an invaluable thread. Here’s a list of the top tools and supplies that I use the most.
-Dremel with cutting bits, cutting wheels and sanding drums.
-Goggles, mask, ear plugs
-jeweller’s tool kit (various pliers, cutters, pincers)
-various clamps, with foam, cork, etc for bumpers
-microfibre rags
-lighted visor with various attachable magnifiers
-jeweller’s loops
-electronics tweezer set
-haemostats and button looper
-tiny scissors
-knife and razor blade set
-good old needle, thread, thimble, pins, fusible patching, etc
-hot fix iron (or solder iron), regular iron, hairdryer, heating pad
-regular and hv super glue and debonder
-dye fixative

shazzdan

shazzdan
Another thing I've started to need is a small anvil. I've been using a piece of half-inch mild steel plate for the last few months but it is getting pretty badly dinged up.

I use lots of heat shrink tubing for things like grips on handles, hose for miniature glassware, covering exposed wire, and so on. The last thing I used it on was this cricket bat.

Tools of the Trade (Update 1/5/19...  Post #35) Il_fullxfull.1528848646_nflx

Tools of the Trade (Update 1/5/19...  Post #35) Il_fullxfull.1576315459_35x2

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:I've been looking at Xuron scissors. What's the difference between the 440 and the 441?

I don't know, the page I looked at only listed the 440's, which are the ones I have. Just looked on the Xuron site and the 441's are for thread and cord and one of the blades is serrated.

CHEERS!

shazzdan

shazzdan
Got it. So the 440 is the one I want. Many thanks.

PureEnergy

Thanks for the additional input, gentlemen.  I appreciate all the insightful responses, tips and recommendations very much.  I have been short on time, but I intend to reply more directly to some of your suggestions and comments, and I do yet have a few specific questions regarding such.  

I would also love to see this all compiled into a singular list at some point.  While it continues to be ongoing, I hope that someone would be willing to condense it, eventually - perhaps along with brief notes as to the potential use for each listed product or tool.  How cool would that be?

This is a superb resource for just about any skill level, I would imagine.  

Many thanks again!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Got it. So the 440 is the one I want. Many thanks.

Yeah, they're tough little choppers!

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum