OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'm not great at reviews, but I'll give it a shot as much as possible. I recently had shoulder surgery, so I'm using one arm at the moment, and I only have access to my crappy cell phone for photos (my SD card reader died on me, and haven't replaced it yet -- so no access to a quality camera).

What follows are the original prototype pics and some pics by others. I included some of my own bad cell pics, as well.

First the prototype pics:

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1209
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 2164
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 3143
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 4130
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 5128
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 6124
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 7120
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 8114
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 9112
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 10105
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 11108
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1291
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1379
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1475
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1567
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1667
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1760
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1854
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 1947

As you can see he comes with a wide variety of items. The included stand is really designed for a 1/6 scale figure. The "arm" of the stand is way too long to be useful for 1/12, and mine came with a stem that wasn't drilled out to fit the tiny peg that is on the base (making it useless as well). It's fine, he doesn't really need the stand to stay upright anyway, but at the cost of these things, it would have been nice if they had included a stand/base that is the appropriate size and functions.

Here's my pics (sorry for the poor quality):

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img_7512
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img_7510
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img_7511
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img_7513
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img_7514
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img_7515

As you can see, he can clearly stand on his own, even in an awkward "walking" pose. Aside from the additional accessories that I took pics of, the rest are inside his duffle bag, and he's able to hold onto it still.

Here are some pics by others who have him.
First up is a pic by Madball (over at the Sideshow Freaks board):

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 8611bb10

Some modified figure pics by Thainitty (over at the Sideshow Freaks board), where he added tattoos to his Popeye's body, and boxing tape to his fists (really cool):

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 73f60410
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Daf16e10
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) F50c9b10

And some inhand pics that showed up online (users unknown):

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img-6510
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img-6512
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img-6511
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img-6513
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img-6515
Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Img-6514

Overall, I really like this little guy. It's not my normal forte' as the size is a little too limited for my tastes (poor eyesight, and fingers not nimble enough to work at this scale long-term; I have a hard enough time working with 1/6 scale). The detailing on the head sculpts isn't quite as nice as the Prototype, but again, with my eyesight -- it looks fine. I don't spend my time examining these things under a microscope like a lot of folks, anyway, so I'm happy with it. The price (around $80) is another matter. I had been out of the figure collecting game for a long time (not since 1/6 was around $50 for a boxed figure), so imagine my shock when I got back into this and figures were pushing $200, and now higher. A figure this size used to be around $10-15, and I thought THAT was getting ridiculous.

Other than price, I'm kind of hoping that Mezco continues with this line -- I'd really like to add a Bluto, Olive Oyl, & Wimpy.

(Sorry, Roger. This probably isn't as nice a review as you would have liked).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) C8485110

Peaches

Peaches
Wow, I think he's so cool! I love that he is so small! Gotta say we need a Brutus now Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, very cool figure, even without the custom tats. Mezco's ability to produce good likenesses and good clothing in 1:12 scale continues to impress.

PureEnergy

Certainly one of my favorites...

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
The review is just fine, as are the pics. The issue you had with the stand isn't actually an issue. What those stands come with is a peg on the base onto which the foot goes, that peg is removable allowing the arm to plug in. It isn't always obvious, but it's a standard feature on all One:12 figure stands.

He hit UK stores today, and he is selling FAST!! I tried to get one from Dandyisland. I had him in my cart and he sold out before I could check out! They got 10 in and he only went live on the store mid morning! Luckily I found another on eBay and I should have him early next week, maybe Saturday. If you're in the UK and you want him do NOT wait, they will not restock!

I can't wait for mine to arrive, he will easily be one of my all time favourites

CHEERS!

PS (Michael Crawford did a review and I'll post a link when I post mine.)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the tip on the stand, Roger. I didn’t know that. This was my first 1/12 figure, and I think you’ll love him. He’s really cool. Mezco had an Exclusive version on their web-site for him in his traditional white uniform, but that sucker went even faster than this one is going. Really hope we at least get a Bluto and Olive Oyl.

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) C8485110

Adeno

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) QTQy4OW

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) GdA92fM

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Rp9kq2Z

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 5WCVdAp

Popeye is one of my favorite toys from 2018. He's really very fun to play with. His hat is magnetic so it easily attaches to his head which also has a magnet inside. He scales really well with my other 6 inch scale toys like Figuarts and Figma stuff Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the tip on the stand, Roger. I didn’t know that. This was my first 1/12 figure, and I think you’ll love him. He’s really cool. Mezco had an Exclusive version on their web-site for him in his traditional white uniform, but that sucker went even faster than this one is going. Really hope we at least get a Bluto and Olive Oyl.

You're not the only one that missed the stand. I've got 4 other figures, Kirk, Spock, Sulu and Michael Myers. Some fly out like Popeye and Michael and others just sit there. They go up in price a lot too, they did a Frankenstein Monster and he goes for 3 figure sums these days.

So many reviews missed the fact that the spyglass is retractable, it's probably a bit stiff on some so it didn't seem like it did. I can't wait till mine arrives. Might even be tomorrow if I'm lucky. I hate when you order a figure close to a weekend and it doesn't come over that weekend. It's annoying to have 2 full days where could have been enjoying it and you're sat waiting instead.

Fingers crossed....

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I hear you on the weekend lag. I have a couple dozen loose bits that I've been waiting for off eBay, MD & BlackOps that I have a feeling won't show up until next week. Aghh!! So frustrating.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Mind you, it's worse with Figuarts and Mafex, most of them took up to 2 weeks. It's so annoying when you see everyone else enjoying theirs and you're still waiting for your piece of the action. I could so easily have missed this figure and I would have been gutted if I had!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Glad you managed to get the one, Roger. He really is cool. I haven’t seen a figure go this fast in a long time.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Me neither, though their Michael Myers did go pretty fast as well. There was a slow burn with the Trek figures, I got all of them when I wanted them. The rare one is the Frankenstein monster, I don't think many, if any, UK retailers got him. I like their Joker, he hangs around, but goes up in price all the time.

CHEERS!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

He arrived only moments ago, and I just love the little fella! Only had chance to shoot a few out of box pics as the light is fading fast. Flash photos on my camera look awful!

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) KM7FY25

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) CBTb41D

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) ZwbLjFr

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) ZHeisGJ

I'll have a bit more of a play later and will shoot more pics when the light is better. The weather is a tad gloomy right now.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Woohoo! Congrats, Roger.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Yeah, he's ace!

I know now why you get 6 pipes. Always, if you're swapping out accessories, take the pipe out first! I swapped his hands out and realised I'd knocked the pipe out of his mouth. Thankfully I found it, but it was a close call! He is so much fun to toy around with, every pose just looks so good!

CHEERS!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

The light held long enough today for me to get some more shots done. Some came out dark, but, a little PhotoShop jiggery pokery sorted that. So here you go:

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Ma8pWOL

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) DXTXEDH

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Pw0HiPJ

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Bsj4kZy

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) Qm1EP6f

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) 7Ja1E0s

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) CqG47Om

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) UNPuSlw

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) KrgmZZ4

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) QOD2SzM

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) NfvmgTX

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) LZt9ayb

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) NdTe4Sa

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) CFNjnCH

Mezco One:12 Collective Popeye Review (mostly prototype photos, and pics by others) O21SYLa

Just love him!! Forgot to take any with his kitbag, didn't realise till I'd packed the box away!

Never mind!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
He is pretty cool. I love the combination of cartoon and real (I know this was done before at a larger scale with a PVC statue), but I think for as small as this is Mezco did a great job (even having dirty fingernails, like a hard-working man always ends up with).

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That statue was done by Headplay, pretty decent and pretty pricey for them.

The lack of chest hair on both that and the Mezco bugged me a little. The cartoon one always had a hairy chest, the hairs would stand up like mattress springs when he ate his spinach. It was unavoidable on Robin Williams, that guy was part sasquatch! Popeye would never wax his chest!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:The lack of chest hair on both that and the Mezco bugged me a little. The cartoon one always had a hairy chest, the hairs would stand up like mattress springs when he ate his spinach. It was unavoidable on Robin Williams, that guy was part sasquatch! Popeye would never wax his chest!

CHEERS!

That would have been a nice touch: chest air. I still don’t understand that whole chest-waxing thing (especially in Hollyweird); men are supposed to be hairy. I’m not nearly as bad as Robin Williams was, but I am pretty hairy. Though now that it’s more gray — heading toward white — I guess I’m part Yeti, rather than Sasquatch.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Me neither. It never did Sean Connery or Burt Reynolds any harm. I can sort of understand it with bodybuilders as they need to show off the definition, but not as a fashion trend. I'm hirsute myself and just having the dressings changed after my gall bladder surgery hurt enough without any notion of having the whole lot ripped out. I'd need a general for that!

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum