OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting Out questions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Starting Out questions Empty Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 03:24

ravrohan

Hey there forum! I just introduced myself in the intro thread, but this is my first topic.  I'm new to this hobby and had questions, I'd love any advice I can get.  

First a little background, since I'm not a complete newb.  I do a lot of modeling and kitbashing with Gundam model kits, remodeling, and repainting of a variety of other mechanical-based kits.  I started as a kid, splitting open my Marvel action figures and rearranging parts, or stealing my moms nail polish to do repaints.  I remember a Silver Hawk figure I scratched the face off when I found out it was silver underneath and painted a visor to finish it.

I'm a writer, Sci-Fi/Fantasy and right now I'm trying my hand at the Super Hero genre, my first two 1/6 models are going to reflect that.  I've never been able to draw, and prefer working with something physical so it felt like a good time to jump into this.  I'm somewhat anime inspired, but it's not my mainstay.  I'm happy to have many conversations about the topic as I grow into it, so drop a line whenever Very Happy

But onto the questions.  

1) I'm pretty much sold on TBLeague/Phicen, but are there comparable seamless bodies from other companies out there?  Would they be more or less expensive?  I've seen Jiaoudo.  

2) Are all neckless heads within the 1/6 scale?  I'm eyeing head sculpts until the one I really want releases, I see some that say compatible with TBL and others Jiaoudo.

3) Re TBL bodies, I'm going for a warrior for my first female figure, are the 21b and 23b the most muscular bodies in the line?  

4) Re TBL Male bodies, short term goal is to have one male to have as a pair to my female.  For male head sculpts, what do people use for younger guys?  Besides a couple Asian head sculpts, most look older than I want.  I'm going for 18-mid-twenties.  I found a couple monk heads I like the look of, I just have to get wigs if I go that route.

4 1/2?) Recommendations for male bodies?  

5) What sort of paint works on these?  I'm considering waterslide decals for body tattoos, and latex based acrylics for hand and feet markings, since they look like they're some kind of plastic, ABS?

6) Do you do split box buys here? I don't think I saw any rules for or against the practice here, but there's at least one outfit (Cat13b from Cat toys) that comes with a head I have no interest in.  

I hope that's not to much at once, I'm eager to get started I guess, I love kitbashing anything I can get my hands on and always have.  So, my excitement might be guiding my typing fingers xD

2Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 04:37

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ravrohan wrote: 1) I'm pretty much sold on TBLeague/Phicen, but are there comparable seamless bodies from other companies out there?  Would they be more or less expensive?  I've seen Jiaoudo.

Jiaou Doll is the only other company to offer a significant number and range of seamless sixth-scale action figure bodies. They have a slightly different seamless "flesh," plastic+metal (as opposed to all metal) skeleton, and slightly more limited range and less smooth movement of articulation. The prices are close enough to be called comparable, and often vary a bit. I had some reviews and comparisons on the One Sixth Warriors forum, but I am not completely sure how accessible they are nowadays. You can also look through THIS thread here. My old Jiaou reviews are HERE and HERE.

ravrohan wrote: 2) Are all neckless heads within the 1/6 scale?  I'm eyeing head sculpts until the one I really want releases, I see some that say compatible with TBL and others Jiaoudo.

I suppose there are non-sixth-scale neckless heads out there, but if they say they are compatible with TBLeague, then they are also compatible with Jiaou, and vice-versa. For female heads Jiaou has gone the extra mile and provided interchangeable neck pegs. You are more likely to run into skin tone match problems than head fit problems. And of course none of the seamless bodies would work with any headsculpts that have an integral (non-detachable) neck.

ravrohan wrote: 3) Re TBL bodies, I'm going for a warrior for my first female figure, are the 21b and 23b the most muscular bodies in the line?  

I think S23b was specifically marketed as such.

ravrohan wrote: 4) Re TBL Male bodies, short term goal is to have one male to have as a pair to my female.  For male head sculpts, what do people use for younger guys?  Besides a couple Asian head sculpts, most look older than I want.  I'm going for 18-mid-twenties.  I found a couple monk heads I like the look of, I just have to get wigs if I go that route.

There is some truth to that, but keep looking, you'll find a few options. I just came across DAM's combat diver desert version head, which seems pretty youthful.

ravrohan wrote: 4 1/2?) Recommendations for male bodies?  

Assuming you still mean seamless, TBLeague's M32 for lean and tall, M33 for not super muscular and not too tall, M34 for quite muscular and taller, M35 for ultra muscular, M36 for very tall but rather lean. Jiaou has only one male body type, but available in three skin tones, and it is relatively lean, most similar to TBLeague's M33. I have reviewed all of these either on Michael Crawford's site or here, in the case of M35 and M36. For the Jiaou Male body, you can try to see HERE.

ravrohan wrote: 5) What sort of paint works on these?  I'm considering waterslide decals for body tattoos, and latex based acrylics for hand and feet markings, since they look like they're some kind of plastic, ABS?

Check out THIS thread. The short answer is oil pastel (at least for TBLeague; haven't tried it or heard about it on Jiaou). Acrylics, even if mixed with silicone, are a very impermanent solution. The bodies do stain easily, but at least TBLeague's seem to gradually absorb the stain so it disappears (but proceed at your own risk). And yes, I realize that doing tattoos with oil pastels would be a near impossible task.

ravrohan wrote: 6) Do you do split box buys here? I don't think I saw any rules for or against the practice here, but there's at least one outfit (Cat13b from Cat toys) that comes with a head I have no interest in.

See the first bolded paragraph in the first post in the "Forum Policies and Info" sticky thread. We cannot assume responsibility for any arrangements you do with any members and in private (or otherwise).

ravrohan wrote: I hope that's not to much at once, I'm eager to get started I guess, I love kitbashing anything I can get my hands on and always have.  So, my excitement might be guiding my typing fingers xD

I hope this helped, and I am sure others will chime in.

3Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 08:30

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The Guv pretty much addressed all your current questions. Assuming you're in the states, check out sites like MonkeyDepot, BlackOpsToys, and of course eBay for 1/6 scale heads.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Starting Out questions C8485110

4Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 16:42

PureEnergy

Ah, welcome to the addiction that is 1:6, good fellow - and to the OSF forum, which I’m sure that you’ll find friendly and most informative.

It feels quite strange to reflect upon the fact that, as of a mere three months ago, I had been completely oblivious, asking many of the same questions.  However, thanks to the generosity of guys like the Guv and Stryker, you’ll likely discover that the learning curve is clearly one of positive acceleration.  

The prognosis: Whether you intend to dip a toe or to dive in headlong, you’ll soon enough find yourself thoroughly and blissfully immersed.  

Wink

5Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 19:59

Peaches

Peaches
since the subject kinda came up with @GubernatorFan, may I ask, has anyone tried to de-neck a integral (non-detachable) necked head? I was thinking it might be possible to do if you saw it off, cleaned up the edges and hot glued a neck thingy inside, but for some reason I haven't seen any videos of anyone doing that?

6Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 20:47

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:since the subject kinda came up with @GubernatorFan, may I ask, has anyone tried to de-neck a integral (non-detachable) necked head? I was thinking it might be possible to do if you saw it off, cleaned up the edges and hot glued a neck thingy inside, but for some reason I haven't seen any videos of anyone doing that?

Yes, it is possible. Be sure to wear goggles and a mask — this stuff can be toxic. I’ve heard some people have done it with an x-acto knife, and some have used a Dremel. You need to go slowly, or you risk damaging something you need.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Starting Out questions C8485110

7Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-09, 20:59

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:since the subject kinda came up with GubernatorFan, may I ask, has anyone tried to de-neck a integral (non-detachable) necked head? I was thinking it might be possible to do if you saw it off, cleaned up the edges and hot glued a neck thingy inside, but for some reason I haven't seen any videos of anyone doing that?

Yes, many many times. Check out my tutorial for a visual step-by-step guide, HERE.

Hope this helps.

8Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-10, 08:57

ravrohan

Thanks for the great answers and links, very thorough Very Happy

I am in the states, and I've been religiously checking between merchant sites, Ebay, and Amazon for the best deals in what I want. I intend to dive headfirst into two characters at least, beyond that I can't say. I do have images in my head for future characters and I did daydream about how I would go about adding a tail to a 1/12 scale figure but I don't want to get ahead of myself just yet.

Glad to see that visual guide, from a long time of making pegs and sockets work together across models that weren't intended to work together, I would have said yes somehow. I just needed to get my hands on a head sculpt to see how!

9Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-10, 15:54

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Our fearless founding father did a bang up job of answering all questions. The only thing I'd chime in, is on the subject of tattoos, waterslide decal paper cracks and flakes too easily on the silicon skin as it flexes, but we've had a member here have great results with temporary tattoos. I've had decent results myself, but I'm slowly experimenting with different brands of printable temporary tattoo paper in the hopes of finding the best option.

10Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-10, 21:23

Peaches

Peaches
Awesome, thanks @stryker2011 and @GubernatorFan and thanks for letting me (or not getting annoyed, LOL) at my hijack Very Happy @Ravrohan Very Happy

11Starting Out questions Empty Re: Starting Out questions 2019-01-13, 19:47

ravrohan

Thanks for the tip Rev, and no worries Peaches Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum