OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 39]

Peaches

Man, that's really coming together well! I have been wanting to buy a scroll saw for at least 30 years now, but just can't justify it as I never have the time to build things. Anyway, looking fantastic!

blackpool

This is getting epic!!! thanks a lot for sharing the BTS WIP pictures, it's very informative! That build is gonna be insane!

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Man, that's really  coming together well!  I have been wanting to buy a scroll saw for at least 30 years now, but just can't justify it as I never have the time to build things. Anyway, looking fantastic!

Thanks. Yeah, a scroll saw would be nice. My problem is more how many times would I actually use it, to justify the expense. They've come in handy when I have used them, though.

blackpool wrote:This is getting epic!!! thanks a lot for sharing the BTS WIP pictures, it's very informative! That build is gonna be insane!

Thanks. I have another arch just about done, but I'm out of sorts today, and probably won't do much.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Well, I did manage to finish that latest arch. I had to wire the lights up ahead of time -- as the two pieces fit snugly together (though they are not glued together) -- had to keep them as separate pieces in the event one/both of the lights burn out, and I need to be able to change them out.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7721

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Smart thinking -- and it looks awesome!! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very cool. And very huge... at times I forget this is sixth-scale, because it is an unusually large investment (of space, labor, funds, you name it...).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Smart thinking -- and it looks awesome!! Smile

Thanks, S. I’m doing my best to think ahead. Some things came to me awhile ago, and others are kind of spur of the moment. Hopefully they’ll actually work the way I’m intending.

GubernatorFan wrote:Very cool. And very huge... at times I forget this is sixth-scale, because it is an unusually large investment (of space, labor, funds, you name it...).

The diorama is huge... but I’m actually a little concerned about how big the surrounding cabinet is going to end up.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
In the event my above explanation wasn't clear: here's a "behind the scenes" of the behind the scenes pic of how the two arches look:

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7722

scalawag

scalawag
That is looking so good mate. I love the lighting solution too, and look at the pattern that is projecting onto the floor in the last pic, magnificent.

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Paul. Glad you like that section; I wasn’t so sure about using that screen material on that part — originally it was just a carved out cavity in the masonry, but once I place it next to the band, it just seemed to make sense.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree with Paul, the effect is beautious. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Guv.

I just started working on the steps to the right of Jabba's throne... slow going, haven't been feeling well. Need to go back and finish the arch near the back of the display -- to the right of the Han/Carbonite display -- but I needed a break from doing arches (plus I realized that I designed that arch wrong); needs to be much narrower, and the whole arch will probably be visible, not just half of it.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
While waiting for the glue to dry on the steps, I started adding the texture to one of the arches. What do you think? Does it work as stucco at this scale?

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7723

Eph

Fantastic ! Your light will look great in the finish Building. That will do the original atmosphere i think. The wall texture is Great, now You need that light brown colour like in the movie. I think it is no problem that the rebo band creatures are not exactly 1:6, because they are not humans. No one knows how tall they are next to a Human

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Eph wrote:Fantastic ! Your light will look  great in the finish Building. That will do the original atmosphere i think. The wall texture is Great, now You need that light brown colour like in the movie. I think it is no problem that the rebo band creatures are not exactly 1:6, because they are not humans. No one knows how tall they are next to a Human

Thanks, Ephi. Painting will be the last thing I do before building the cabinet, but I think it will look good, too, assuming I can do the paint job justice. And I agree about the band; I’m not too worried about their size, either.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
The texture looks great to my eyes, though I guess what matters most is whether *you* are happy with it... Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:The texture looks great to my eyes, though I guess what matters most is whether *you* are happy with it... Smile

As long as it looks “real”, I’m happy. Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I also think the texture works very well. Depending on the light, you might even get away without repainting, but a slightly warmer pale beige does seem appropriate.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:I also think the texture works very well. Depending on the light, you might even get away without repainting, but a slightly warmer pale beige does seem appropriate.

I think you’re right. I’ve seen pictures of the set under daylight, and it pretty much is sand colored, with a few water stains. Not necessarily “dark”, just poorly lit.

scalawag

scalawag
I think that texture looks spot on. I wonder if staining it with very weak coffee or tea might be a good way to get an uneven colour to it. Just an idea

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:I think that texture looks spot on.  I wonder if staining it with very weak coffee or tea might be a good way to get an uneven colour to it.  Just an idea

Paul

Interesting idea — I hadn’t even thought of that. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, my crap math skills struck again. Over the last couple of days I’ve been trying a different technique for making the stairs next to Jabba’s throne. Had what I thought was the completed framework for the steps on the right side. Turns out... one wrong error on the height of the 2nd riser, threw off the 3rd & 4th so badly, the only way to correct it is to scrap what’s already been done and start all over. Grrrr!

Taking a break from that for a bit.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Mark, it will turn out beautifully in the end. All the more so since you caught your error and it won't be part of the finished project. What you've accomplished already is more than most of us.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, after catching my error on the stair risers (which left all but the 1st step short in height by an 1/8" -- meaning a total of 3/8" short), I rebuilt the riser shell -- still need to add the extension piece to the outside for the 1st & 2nd step -- I'm taking my time, and measuring each and every step as I go along to ensure it is correct. Each riser is cut along it's full length -- obviously every step getting shorter as the stairs ascend -- then each riser glued to its longer predecessor; I added spacers to make sure the distance to the outside of the wood (side to side) was the exact same distance from front to back (7" at it's narrowest point -- steps 3 & 4; and 10.5" at its widest -- steps 1 & 2).

One quick pic:

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7724

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another quick pic of the stair riser shell -- with the extension to the side added.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7725

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think after this you will certify for master builder. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ha! We’ll see. This was actually the easier of the two sides... the stairs on the left have curves and angles — always fun to do.

Started gluing on the facings for the risers and the landings, but I won’t waste anyone’s time posting pics of that process; I’ll post when construction on these current steps are done.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Basic construction of the steps to the right of Jabba's throne is complete. Started working on the steps to the left -- have most of the pieces cut out and ready to start gluing.

sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7726
sideshow -  Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 10 Img_7727

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is going to be very cool when you're done. It already gives an excellent idea of where you're going.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum