OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ankle extender stuck in Hot Toys boots nightmare - help!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Everyone has their particular struggles when it comes to 1/6 customizing....my 'nemesis', it would seem, is BOOTS. Sad

It doesn't matter if they are of the footless or the foot-peg kind, somehow, something always ends up getting stuck or ruined somehow.

In this case, I was working on one of my custom Anakin figures, and I was trying to figure out which boots would work best. Because I'm using a COOmodel extra tall body for it, the Sideshow boots I'd been planning to use looked too short/small, so I thought I would try one of my Hot Toys Anakin's boots on it, just to see how it looked.

Well, the good news is that the HT boot looked great! The bad news is.... when I went to pull it off, the little ankle extender that comes as part of the COOmodel body got stuck inside!! Crying or Very sad I have tried all the tools that I have at hand to try to get it out, but no luck. All of the smaller pliers I have are for beadwork, and so are either quite smooth (and thus slip right off and don't get any grip) or are specifically for wire-cutting purposes, and thus I don't dare try to use them for this.

It's been several days and I'm starting get panicky... and while I *could* just leave the boots on the other figure (since I plan to get extra HT boots for it anyway), I would much prefer to have the 'original' boots back on the figure that they came with, if possible....

Does anyone have any suggestions of a type of pliers that would be thin enough to fit inside a 1/6 boot , but still have a wide enough 'grip' to pull out the ankle extender?

Thanks in advance!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
If you can get yourself a pair of forceps (you know the ones that lock together) — you should be able to lock on to the peg. Use a hair dryer to warm up the boots as much as possible at the ankle to make the rubber more pliable and you should be able to pull it out; just be careful to not twist — you don’t want to weaken the peg extention.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Ankle extender stuck in Hot Toys boots nightmare - help!  C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:If you can get yourself a pair of forceps (you know the ones that lock together) — you should be able to lock on to the peg. Use a hair dryer to warm up the boots as much as possible at the ankle to make the rubber more pliable and you should be able to pull it out; just be careful to not twist — you don’t want to weaken the peg extention.

That is a really good suggestion re: forceps. My husband works for the NHS, so that might even be something I have a chance of obtaining, lol.

And thank you for the reminder to be careful with the actual peg inside the boot. I will definitely warm up the boots to try to make the plastic ankle extender come off more easily, though I've been avoiding doing it as I was concerned it might not be good for the faux leather material of this particular boot. However, if it's only this once and there's a chance to get the ankle extender out finally, I will risk it! : )

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
well heating boots up almost always worked for me. remember the times when dragon and bbi where the only stuff available and i ended up with more blisters than skin on my fingers trying to remove and swap boots =)

anyway i got a set of small pliers with some sort of profile worked into them, wokrs great for removing small stuff like pegs.

but i came to use a certain form of wire(in germany we call it "hasendraht"), a bit more stiff than chicken wire, which can either work  as a sling for it is still bendable if wrapped around or it can be used to "scoop" from underneath if you form a noose.

its far more versatile than pure string and wont rip as easily. might give it a try, hope that helps.

cheers

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Tjolnir wrote:

but i came to use a certain form of wire(in germany we call it "hasendraht"), a bit more stiff than chicken wire, which can either work  as a sling for it is still bendable if wrapped around or it can be used to "scoop" from underneath if you form a noose.

its far more versatile than pure string and wont rip as easily. might give it a try, hope that helps.

Thanks, Tjolnir! I would never have thought of using wire in this instance. I'm not quite sure what type of wire you mean, but I do have some beading wire?  I can't tell if there is enough space there for it to 'scoop' the extender out from underneath, but it's worth a shot....

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
i guessyou could use floral wire as well, easy to form yet strong enough to keep the shape to a degree, depending on the diameter.
once the boot is heated it most likely will give way to the wire when pushing it down

Peaches

Peaches
You know, I honestly think you should leave it be and get a replacement set if possible for the original figure. You're more likely to break the boot trying to get that piece out, and it's not worth the risk IMO. Sad Sorry it happened!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Sadly, I am coming 'round to this conclusion myself. Everything I've tried so far (and failed) suggests that I would need to exert a  much greater amount of pressure on the boot in order to even have a chance of getting it out, and risk damaging it to the point where it's no longer usable at all.

Anyone have a spare pair of HT Anakin boots lying about??? Or even better... an extra HT Anakin?? (kidding!) Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Heating them didn't help to loosen the peg at all? Or didn't you try that?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:Heating them didn't help to loosen the peg at all? Or didn't you try that?

I tried heating it, but I'm still struggling to find anything that will actually grip it or get under it to pull it out. (The wire I had at hand didn't work, and I still haven't acquired any forceps... )

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Bummer.

Tell your husband to fork some over. Twisted Evil

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
LOL, I'm trying, he keeps forgetting... ;p

Peaches

Peaches
Would something like this work?  I suggest not using anything too pointy, as it'd be easy to slice into it???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROB-12-CARVING-TOOLS-Wax-Nail-Salon-Instruments-Metal-Vape-12-pieces-set/232729718568?hash=item362fc5af28:rk:5🇵🇫0

A bit of an expense, but if you need em, and if these are the right ones...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-1-6-Scale-MMS437-Anakin-Skywalker-Boots-Star-Wars-Episode-3/312409459386?hash=item48bd0e0aba:g:8iYAAOSw85JbzGqd:rk:48🇵🇫0

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks! Those nail salon tools are something I'd never even have thought of, but I'll bear 'em in mind as a last resort, lol.

And thank you for the link -- will have to consider it if I can't get that darn extender out soon. ;p

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Those sort of tools, similar to dental tools, work great for sculpting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum