OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:43 am

scalawag

scalawag
Yesterday my Pre-ordered Zuckuss and Dengar figures arrived cheers cheers

I have already reviewed the Dengar figure here:  https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t111-product-review-sideshow-dengar

The figures were both pre-ordered here in the UK from:  https://www.dandyisland.com

So now its time to look at Zuckuss.

I was cautious about buying this figure because I have had a Hasbro 12" Zuckuss for a while and thought he was actually ok, and so I did not know if I wanted to pay for the SideShow figure for whats is a very background character.  In the end I obviously did buy him, and whilst this is definitely more detailed than the Hasbro offering I don't think it is such a big upgrade as Dengar is.

Packaging
This is much the same as Dengar, and all other SideShow Star Wars packaging so I won't dwell on this here.  I will however say that again on this box the cardboard used seems slightly thinner than previous SideShow boxes, and the overlapped seam which forms that box did not appear to have enough glue applied and was separating straight out of the brown packing box.  It just does not feel as good a quality as previous boxes from SideShow have.  Quite disappointing for a collectors model at this price point, as for many, including me, the packaging is part of the whole.

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss AOmSyVu
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss RFp3ohU
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss 8BLXqrx

The Figure

Let me start by saying that this is a good figure.  I probably don't think it warrants the asking price but that is unfortunately the 1/6 world we live in  Rolling Eyes

I think the sculpt of the head is very good and it has those lovely sort of translucent eyes similar to those seen on the earlier 4-LOM figure.  From certain angles they really bring the head to life.  It is difficult to tell from movie stills how accurate the colouring is but it looks right to me. The mix of organic and mechanical elements in the head has been handled very well and the overall impression is very convincing.

The figure itself seems to me to be slightly to tall.  Only by a few millimetres, but I think it is noticeable.  To my eye the extra height is found in the chest area, it just seems to long. This can be mitigated when posing the figure by bending the torso forward a little, but this is not that easy to do and only partly solves the issue.  The extra height also seem to make the figure look too slim, and he does not have the quite squat, dumpy, look of the film character.

The costume is very good, and I like the leather belt and harness which has magnetic closures on the pouches. The leather could have been made to look slightly more "used" but it is ok as it is really.  
The long coat is superb, and looks just like it should.  It has a slight silver sheen to it, and looks worn and used to a perfect finish.  To me it does feel a little freaky to the touch Shocked I can only describe it as "crispy", and every time I touch it I fear that I will damage it in some way but it does seem to be able to deal with being handled normally though.  
There are some really cool boots under that coat which are sadly all but covered up.
The pipes and breathing apparatus are all sculpted very well and are flexible enough to pose without feeling fragile.  I particularly like the back panel which given the available pictures of the film costume must be "imagined" by SideShow and they have done a grand job of it.

Extras are limited to the blaster and spare hands.  There is the usual hexagonal base as well but as this is included with every figure it is hardly an extra.  
That said what extras could have been added for a character that has as limited a screen appearance as this one.  I suppose that at the price asked for this figure I expect a little bit more, but then I guess I am really paying SideShow to complete my collection Crying or Very sad
The blaster is very nicely done.  I believe the movie prop was made with an Enfield rifle as the base, and this can be seen well in the model too.  Parts of it do look quite fragile, especially given the shape and size of Zuckuss' hands, but it is actually quite robust.

The articulation of this figure is not great, although I think this is largely due to the limits of movement in the costume.  That said SideShow's Jawas have a good range of movement and similar costumes so I think SideShow could have done better in the articulation department with this one.  If you are looking for the pose from the movie then you are ok, but anything more might be a bit more of a challenge.

Conclusions
This is clearly an improvement over the Hasbro figure, but I do think the price is a little excessive for what you get.  
You can achieve a reasonable movie accurate look with this figure but the extra length in the chest area is apparent whatever you do.  
Achieving more action poses will be a challenge given the limits imposed on articulation by the costume (and the fear of damaging that crispy feeling coat Laughing )

I am very pleased with this figure.  Would I buy it again given that the Hasbro is actually pretty good (with a bit of extra paint on it)?  Yes I think I would, but I do think SideShow are asking for a high premium on this figure because they know that some collectors will pay more to complete their collections.  It does feel like I have been taken advantage of a little bit because of my penchant for collecting Star Wars Bounty Hunters Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss RwQ3Hh6
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss JzHe2m1
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss QsgVdxQ
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Dt0KzwF
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss 02O31pi
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss 6PTXT2s

And a couple to compare this figure with the Hasbro 12" figure.  Some of the height difference is the extra height of the SideShow base.

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Yn7YHVY
EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss 7Gaq9Qo

Thank you for reading this review, and I hope you found it interesting and helpful.

As always any comments are very welcome.

#productreview #sideshow #starwars #empirestrikesback #film #bountyhunter

2EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:51 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another very thorough review. Thanks for sharing. I agree with you, the Hasbro version stands up pretty well. Outside of Boba, none of the others appealed to me since we never got to see them in action, but it’s still cool to see them altogether.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss C8485110

3EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:58 am

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Another very thorough review. Thanks for sharing. I agree with you, the Hasbro version stands up pretty well. Outside of Boba, none of the others appealed to me since we never got to see them in action, but it’s still cool to see them altogether.

Thanks mate, and I am pleased that you can appreciate him.

Most of the bounty hunters have a limited screen time, and I often wish they had more inclusion in the story lines.  
I have always loved the characters though, and I remember collecting the 3 3/4" figures when I was a lad.  Add to that I am a sucker for completing a collection, and of course I have to have them Laughing Laughing Laughing

The hasbro Head has had a blast of flat clear to dull the surface, and then the eyes have been repainted and washed. I also painted the blaster and rear panel so it is not quite standard but I think it holds up very well. I did think about it for quite a while and it was some time after I ordered Dengar that I ordered this one.

4EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:44 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the figure in such a detailed and lucid manner. For what it is worth, I agree completely. And, once again, congratulations on completing your bounty hunter team

5EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for sharing your impressions of the figure in such a detailed and lucid manner. For what it is worth, I agree completely. And, once again, congratulations on completing your bounty hunter team

Cheers mate,

Its nice to have all the gang together at last.

This morning I moved them to a more prominent position in my lounge so that I can gaze upon them more easily.

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss KiRfFRY

6EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:55 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It's a very nice simple composition. Now you mentioned running out of space. What do you do with the boxes, which are clearly at least somewhat important to you, judging by the comments in the review? I ask, because while I have been saving the boxes so far -- in fact most of my collection resides back in the (opened) boxes -- the logistics of my forthcoming move have me wondering about ditching most of them and filling the rest with more tightly-packed collectibles and accessories. Apart from appreciating the art, I suppose I have been keeping the boxes due to the notional sense of investment, although I do not foresee parting with my collection.

7EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:27 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:It's a very nice simple composition. Now you mentioned running out of space. What do you do with the boxes, which are clearly at least somewhat important to you, judging by the comments in the review? I ask, because while I have been saving the boxes so far -- in fact most of my collection resides back in the (opened) boxes -- the logistics of my forthcoming move have me wondering about ditching most of them and filling the rest with more tightly-packed collectibles and accessories. Apart from appreciating the art, I suppose I have been keeping the boxes due to the notional sense of investment, although I do not foresee parting with my collection.

I doubt that I have the volume of boxes that you have Laughing Laughing

I store my Star Wars collectors boxes under the coffee table in my lounge which has one of my DAK dioramas on it Laughing These latest two figures have pretty much finished up that space though, I may just squeeze one more in there Wink

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Dn3Y5u5

The brown packing boxes and the military collector boxes I have I keep in my garage.  Typical of a lot of UK garages its not really large enough for my car so it gets used for storage Laughing

I tend to keep the boxes in case I ever sell off any of my collection (as if I would ever do that Laughing ) as I see things not necessarily making more with a good condition box, but I certainly think they seem to sell more quickly.

8EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like what you have done with those SW boxes. I don't generally keep the sturdier shipping boxes, although I have as of very recently, for protecting stuff when I move. You seem to have the same logic when it comes to keeping the boxes as me, although just like you said, I don't see ever selling this stuff.

Nice shot of your lounge. I realize we have seen parts of this before, but still nice seeing it altogether.

9EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 pm

dadrab

dadrab
Thank you for the review. Very well done and a pretty damn nice looking figure.

Congratulations on completing the collection.

Boxes are an interesting discussion. I always toss them unless the figure lives inside. I may come to regret that.

10EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Yeah boxes are something of an enigma really. I have seen empty boxes and even the brown packing boxes for sale on eBay at times, but I have never watched one to see if it actually sells or not Laughing

I think some collectors like them, so while I would never dream of keeping a figure I buy in its box because I do enjoy setting them up and seeing them unpacked, I do keep the boxes as I think it may increase the size of the market place if they are ever sold. I suppose too they could be handy if I ever move as well.

I'm glad you like Zuckuss dadrab, and it does feel great to now have that whole motley crew from TESB Wink Wink

11EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:29 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:I like what you have done with those SW boxes. I don't generally keep the sturdier shipping boxes, although I have as of very recently, for protecting stuff when I move. You seem to have the same logic when it comes to keeping the boxes as me, although just like you said, I don't see ever selling this stuff.

Nice shot of your lounge. I realize we have seen parts of this before, but still nice seeing it altogether.

I thought I would try to take a panoramic shot of the lounge to give you even more of an impression of where things sit so to speak.

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss 1oXPC6P

There are the 3 DAK dioramas, under the TV are Droids, Tatooine natives, and sand troopers, and then on top of the 3 sets of shelves where my 1/6 scale tanks live there is my biker scout, TESB Bounty Hunters, and new hope stormtroopers and Darth Vader.  Just out of shot to the right of the kettenkrad did is a cabinet where all my 1/6 modern figures live, along with static model figures in different scales I have built over the years.  There is a couple of 1/18 planes on top of that cabinet too.  Oh yeah and thats me caught in the mirror What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face

What can I say.... the house is mine so I fill it with what I love and enjoy.

12EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
And my friends say my place is an action figure museum! You are much better at displaying them anyway, and it must be nice to be surrounded by your little friends in such a nice setting at all times. Something to think about when I move into my new place, although I suspect I will try to have a designated space for my collection. Thanks for sharing!

PS I didn't recognize you without your biker scout helmet on! Smile

13EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's a pretty cool set-up of all your stuff, scalawag. Now I kind of hope either SS or HT revisit the Tuskan Raider...

He who dies with the most toys wins!

EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss C8485110

14EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Glad you like the set up Chaps. It is great having my things around me all the time I am home.

The biker scout helmet gets in the way a bit for photography Wink

I love my Tusken Raider Stryker, it is a really great figure, the old SS Scum and Villainy series one. The choice of materials for the costume are brilliant, and it does look so good. I might post a new thread on mine if there is any interest.

15EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:47 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:I love my Tusken Raider Stryker, it is a really great figure, the old SS Scum and Villainy series one.  The choice of materials for the costume are brilliant, and it does look so good.  I might post a new thread on mine if there is any interest.

In case anyone's wondering, Paul's Tusken Raider can be seen in his Star Wars collection thread, here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t15-my-star-wars-collection?highlight=starwars#177

16EmpireStrikesBack - Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Empty Re: Product Review - SideShow Zuckuss Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
scalawag wrote:I love my Tusken Raider Stryker, it is a really great figure, the old SS Scum and Villainy series one.  The choice of materials for the costume are brilliant, and it does look so good.  I might post a new thread on mine if there is any interest.

In case anyone's wondering, Paul's Tusken Raider can be seen in his Star Wars collection thread, here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t15-my-star-wars-collection?highlight=starwars#177

Thanks mate,  After the interest shown in this and The Jawas I have i have just posted a couple of mini reviews for them too.

They can be found here:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t137-mini-review-tusken-raider

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t136-mini-review-sideshow-jawas

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum