OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VS TOYS BATHROOM

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:28 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't buy a lot of diorama elements these days, but ended up going for this when I considered several of the parted-out pieces. This review is dedicated in loving memory to one of our Founding Fathers who has since left us, but who would have loved this (and is surely loving it).

VS (Vicky Secret) Toys have produced a bathroom set that just became available Stateside. The set features a bathtub with a shower with hand-held adjustable hose, a toilet, a toilet paper holder, a bathrobe, a large towel, a smaller towel, and reversible printed tile floor and wall surfaces. There is even a little color graphic labeled "bathtub," but its purpose is somewhat indeterminate. The whole set comes packed into a white box (with various bathroom-related graphics on top) with a two-part foam trey, and an additional foam sheet to protect the wall surfaces.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr010

If you have been looking for additional "modern civilian" diorama pieces, these might be right up your alley; or if you want to put your favorite superheroes in humorous bathroom situations. Overall, the set is quite nice, while not quite perfect. Read on for the specifics, interspersed with another nine photos.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr011

The floor and wall surfaces are both reversible, giving you a choice between dark granite or light sandstone tiles (or something like that). The floor surface measures about 12 x 13.75 inches (30.5 x 35 cm). The wall surface folds into three consecutive segments, each 13.75 inches (35 cm) tall; two of the pieces are 12 inches (30.5 cm) wide, while one of the end pieces is 5.5 inches (14 cm) wide. You can place the floor and wall pieces in various configurations. A minor flaw is that the dark granite tile surfaces exhibit perfectly continuous lines and strands in the stone, which would not be the case with actual tile work. There are no other problems with these pieces, although I worry that with enough folding back and forth the printed surfaces would crack or at lest crease at the fold lines.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr012

The bathtub is made of resin and is the heaviest piece in the set. It measures about 10.5 x 5 x 4.25 inches (25.5 x 12.5 x 11 cm) at the extremes. It is done nicely enough, although it has some slight imperfections (which might give it a slightly more realistic, lived-in look). The level of detail is not quite superb, with the most annoying (even if rarely visible) problem being the lack of a sculpted (never mind functional) drain at the bottom. Moreover, only on the faucet side is the tub designed to fit flush against a wall; generally the same should have been true for one of the long sides, but I suppose this way you can place the bathtub in whatever direction you choose. Your sixth-scale figures should have no problem fitting inside the tub, which was a pleasant surprise for me, as I half expected it to be undersized.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr013

The toilet paper holder is made of plastic and is intended to be attached to the wall with double-sided tape (provided and already attached to its back). I would have much preferred it to be done with magnets, so that you can choose which side of the wall surface background to place it on, and where exactly to do so, from scene to scene. Perhaps I am commitment-phobic, but I believe most people would see the advantage in that over getting stuck with a single permanent look or risk possibly damaging the wall surface when changing your set up. At any rate, I improvised and placed one magnet on the inside of the unexposed double-sided tape (it is concealed by the outer structure of the toilet paper holder) and another on the other side of the wall surface. The holder itself is a slightly more elaborate version of the simpler classic look, but this allows you to supply what does not come with it -- an actual toilet paper roll. I improvised one of these too, cutting a narrow strip of actual toilet paper and rolling it around a foamie that I jammed inside the holder, leaving a portion of the strip to hang out as it would in real life.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr014

The diorama area is big enough for at least two figures.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr015

And so is the tub, even if it is a somewhat tight fit. And unlike real full-sized humans, these don't seem to take issue with the faucet pushing against their backs.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr016

Like the toilet paper holder, the shower component is designed to be attached to the wall with double-sided tape (provided and already attached to its back). Again, I would have much preferred this to be done with magnets, and in fact used magnets for my photos (placing one on top of the shower component and the other on the other side of the wall background). The hand-held shower head can be attached to or detached from the component, and the adjustable hose attached to them is made of a fine metal chain that works and looks great.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr017

The toilet bowl itself is made of resin, but it is not nearly as heavy as the larger and more solid bathtub. The toilet seat and lid are made of plastic, and are both articulated. Unlike the bathtub, the toilet has a sculpted (non-functioning) drain. Believe it or not, the size of sixth-scale toilets has been a concern, and this one seems about right, measuring about 4.5 x 3.5 x 3 inches (11.5 x 9 x 7.5 cm) at the extremes. The design does leave something to be desired: it is not clear (to me, anyway) where the water tank is, and the part that seems intended to fit flush against the wall is prevented from doing so by the portion below it jutting out in the same direction. Perhaps these are the tankless toilets of the future. I suppose leaving the lid up helps hide these potential visual flaws.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr018

In terms of soft goods, the set includes the bath robe, the larger towel, and the smaller towel. All three are in white. (Contrary to some of the promotional materials, no underpants are provided.) The towels are a fairly basic affair, and feel somewhat like the real thing only on the "face" side. The larger towel can be wrapped around a male figure's waist, or around a female figure's entire torso. The smaller towel can probably be bunched up into a turban, but I haven't tried.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Vstbr110

The bath robe is made of a soft cotton-like material (perhaps actual cotton) that feels much like the real thing, and comes complete with pockets and a belt. It fits comfortably on female figures, and well enough on male ones (if you don't mind shortish sleeves and a tight fit on the upper arms).

Overall, this is a pretty decent and versatile set. Each of the pieces in it (except perhaps for the soft goods) could have been even better, but on the whole it gets the job done and covers most of the basic things you will find in one of the rooms of a modern home. It also works and looks very well with figures in its scale. Moreover, there really isn't much in the way of alternatives except for Barbie (and possibly other doll) accessories. With some customizing, these, too, can be made realistic -- for an example, see the first post in the Barbie deBarbiefied thread HERE. But here I only improvised the magnetic attachment of the shower component and toilet paper holder (because I did not want to tape them in place), and made the little toilet paper roll. Of course, you'd need a few more things to make up a complete bathroom (like a sink and mirror), but it's a decent place to start.

Where to buy? Try eBay or, in the US:
Big Bad Toy Store $110
Cotswold Collectibles $106
Monkey Depot (sold out, some parted-out pieces available)
Timewalker Toys $106
Toy Anxiety (some parted-out pieces available)

Hope this was helpful and let me know what you think.

#productreview #review #vstoys #vickysecret #diorama #bathroom #superhero #modern #bathroom

2superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:58 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great review. I too am a little surprised there isn't a tank on the toilet; it actually looks like they were supposed to make something to fit over that ridge in the back, but then forgot to do it -- or forgot to include it in the box. The tub is a nice size, but i wish they would have included a free-standing shower curtain rod and shower curtain (no one wants to have to mop the floor every time they take a shower).

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM 21jr-m10
superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM 71qjoj10

He who dies with the most toys wins!

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM C8485110

3superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:32 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the detailed review, GF! I saw this one on ebay the other day and immediately thought of you, lol! :'D

Your figures suit it well, and nice use of the angry face for sitting on the loo, lmao. And your toilet paper solution is brilliant!

Imo, even better than a curtain around the bathtub would have been to have a (removable) 'glass' partial screen or something that the figures could stand and 'shower' behind. It would have complimented the more 'modern' look of the bathroom. Not having *anything* for them to shower behind seems to limit the options (for scenarios) a bit (as one can only take so many bubble baths ;P ).

Overall, though, it does seem like it would come in handy as a quick-and-easy diorama solution. While I don't have a place for it yet myself, I may attempt to track down some of those towels and/or bathrobes...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:11 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Great review. I too am a little surprised there isn't a tank on the toilet; it actually looks like they were supposed to make something to fit over that ridge in the back, but then forgot to do it -- or forgot to include it in the box. The tub is a nice size, but i wish they would have included a free-standing shower curtain rod and shower curtain (no one wants to have to mop the floor every time they take a shower).

Glad you liked it.

The promotional toilets did not show a tank, so I don't think it was something they simply forgot to include in the box. Either Chinese toilets are different or they just forgot. I am toying with the idea of sculpting a tank and attaching it there. But it will be some time before I try.

And the shower curtain issue is not new (Barbie's bath tub -- at least the one I customized -- didn't have one either). The examples you show would work well. Alternately, one makes wall surfaces that would envelop the bath tub from both short sides and one long side, you can just have a straight rod over the open side with the shower curtain hanging from it; that seems to be the most common design, at least in the US.

skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the detailed review, GF! I saw this one on ebay the other day and immediately thought of you, lol! :'D Your figures suit it well, and nice use of the angry face for sitting on the loo, lmao. And your toilet paper solution is brilliant!
Imo, even better than a curtain around the bathtub would have been to have a (removable) 'glass' partial screen or something that the figures could stand and 'shower' behind. It would have complimented the more 'modern' look of the bathroom. Not having *anything* for them to shower behind seems to limit the options (for scenarios) a bit (as one can only take so many bubble baths ;P ).
Overall, though, it does seem like it would come in handy as a quick-and-easy diorama solution. While I don't have a place for it yet myself, I may attempt to track down some of those towels and/or bathrobes...

Happy you liked it and welcome. Hmm, the angry face was surely because of something he saw in the paper Wink
A glass screen on two sides (one long, one short), would also make sense. In my master bathroom, the tub and the shower are completely separate; the tub has no screen or curtain, but the shower is boxed in with its glass partitions. But obviously that separation was not the case here, and would take a lot of customizing to go that way.

In terms of place, it actually would not take up much space. The floor and wall sections fold into neat flat panels that you can stack or prop up anywhere, all of the small stuff can fit inside the bath tub, and you can stack the toilet on top of it, if you are just looking to store them somewhere. That way you don't have to accommodate the whole box (which was actually smaller than I expected). But of course you should only get what you need.

5superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I wonder if a shorter partial wall at the foot of the tub could be created to look like the “tile”, then a couple sheets of clear plastic in frames could be used to simulate a shorter shower door...

6superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:00 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I wonder if a shorter partial wall at the foot of the tub could be created to look like the “tile”, then a couple sheets of clear plastic in frames could be used to simulate a shorter shower door...

I think I know what you mean and it does make good sense. Perhaps one day I'll give it a try.

7superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Peaches

Peaches
I think the answer to why there is no toilet tank is that the whole bathroom looks European. Tub certainly does (deeper/taller and more square than in US) A lot of their toilets just hook into the wall, sometimes without a stand, like we have in public toilets.

@GubernatorFan I love your pictures, they're cozy, romantic, hilarious and relaxing looking Very Happy

@Stryker2011 Now that looks like a piece of Americana Very Happy

8superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:I think the answer to why there is no toilet tank is that the whole bathroom looks European.  Tub certainly does (deeper/taller and more square than in US) A lot of their toilets just hook into the wall, sometimes without a stand, like we have in public toilets.  

@GubernatorFan I love your pictures, they're cozy, romantic, hilarious and relaxing looking Very Happy

@Stryker2011 Now that looks like a piece of Americana Very Happy

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked them.

So I looked it up, and it's a real thing: tankless toilets (and/or ones with concealed in-wall tank). Oh well, I guess it is one less thing to fix. Smile

Speaking of Americana, I came across this photo of a 1912 toilet, with a different solution for the shower. Of course, it is also a different type of shower to begin with. This can arguably (arguably!) be attached to the Blitzway Fight Club shower.

superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM 5bd2ee7aaf570a140c0f0722cd2402cd--bathroom-plans-bathroom-tubs

9superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:54 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Good to know it breaks down so well, GF!

It just occurred to me why this bathroom looks incomplete somehow... there is no sink. O.o

Granted, I *have* encountered such a thing in RL before (a bathroom without a sink) —- a friend of mine here in the U.K. used to live in an old Victorian terraced house, and one of the ‘bathrooms’ in it was literally just a converted closet with a toilet in it , and the sink had been installed right outside it, in the hallway. But that doesn’t really seem to fit with the modern aesthetic of this diorama. I guess it’s meant to be sort of zoomed in on just the bathroom and toilet, perhaps. I suppose that’s another thing one could add ( along with a mirror), but it doesn’t seem like there’s much room for one....

10superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Good to know it breaks down so well, GF! It just occurred to me why this bathroom looks incomplete somehow... there is no sink. O.o

Indeed. I noticed that too. You can get the Barbie sink+mirror and repaint it white like I did HERE. There are probably a couple of other options I have not tested or noticed. But yes, if storage space is a concern, it can be put away nicely.

11superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:30 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Good to know it breaks down so well, GF! It just occurred to me why this bathroom looks incomplete somehow... there is no sink. O.o

Indeed. I noticed that too. You can get the Barbie sink+mirror and repaint it white like I did HERE. There are probably a couple of other options I have not tested or noticed. But yes, if storage space is a concern, it can be put away nicely.

I love that barbie de-barbiefied thread! If I do end up picking this one up, that's exactly what I'll do. ^.^

12superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:56 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Great review, and I love the pics. Your reviews and tutorials are always informative but with a ton of personality. Wolverine's face cracked me up, and the addition of the toilet paper really sells it.

That said, it is a great set. I'd love to see them do another set that's a little less modern, although I have a lot of the components already. I picked up that Fight Club shower too, and I have a found metal planter that is a PERFECT claw-footed tub. And also picked up a novelty toilet that I repainted, and is the perfect size too (I think Patches of Pride's big crapper may have been cast from the same mold). And your barbie sink is perfect, and really feels very retro, which I love, and something like that would make a great addition to this type of set.

But this really does include some great details that are really versatile, like the shower head and TP holder. The reversible walls are a nice touch too, and they do photograph very realistically.

13superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:15 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:I love that barbie de-barbiefied thread! If I do end up picking this one up, that's exactly what I'll do. ^.^

Thank you! And plenty of others have done some nice customization of Barbie items for more realistic or general sixth-scale use. At any rate, that particular set (with a sink+mirror and bathtub) was relatively recent, so you can probably find it easily and affordably enough. They were originally pink and blue (I think); repainted everything in white and chrome except the mirror's frame.

ReverendSpooky wrote:Great review, and I love the pics.  Your reviews and tutorials are always informative but with a ton of personality.  Wolverine's face cracked me up, and the addition of the toilet paper really sells it.  
That said, it is a great set.  I'd love to see them do another set that's a little less modern, although I have a lot of the components already.  I picked up that Fight Club shower too, and I have a found metal planter that is a PERFECT claw-footed tub.  And also picked up a novelty toilet that I repainted, and is the perfect size too (I think Patches of Pride's big crapper may have been cast from the same mold).  And your barbie sink is perfect, and really feels very retro, which I love, and something like that would make a great addition to this type of set.  
But this really does include some great details that are really versatile, like the shower head and TP holder.  The reversible walls are a nice touch too, and they do photograph very realistically.

Thank you very much for all the kind words. Glad you liked the review and the deBarbiefied stuff too. Sounds like you should be showing off your own bathroom scene (one from the post-apocalyptic environment?) soon. You excel at detail and realism, not to mention photography. And you have a real back story and reason for your scenes, whereas mine are mostly just "that's kinda neat, let me get it and see what I can do with it." But yes, for all its limitations, the set is pretty good. Combined with a few extra items or custom creations, it can really take care of pretty much all your bathroom (-scene) needs. That sounded a little odd. Wink

14superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:50 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Stuff. Thanks for Sharing ! The grim exerted Face Wolverine at the Toilet does is so Great ! Laughing

15superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Great Stuff. Thanks for Sharing ! The  grim exerted Face Wolverine at the Toilet does is so Great ! Laughing

Thank you and welcome. I'm very glad you liked it. I still assert that Wolverine/Logan responding (at least in part) to something he read in the paper. Wink

16superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I think you might have to give up on that one, Guv.

"Bear down and pinch, Wolvie!!!"

17superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:10 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:

Sounds like you should be showing off your own bathroom scene (one from the post-apocalyptic environment?) soon. You excel at detail and realism, not to mention photography. And you have a real back story and reason for your scenes, whereas mine are mostly just "that's kinda neat, let me get it and see what I can do with it."

Thank you man. I really should get some good photos. The tub was such a lucky find and I love it so much. Have to put something fun together. And that fact that you're doing a review, but we do get these perfect little scenes is it's own magic. It really does elevate these and adds so much fun.

18superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:44 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I think you might have to give up on that one, Guv.

Your dirty minds! LOL To quote from my favorite Star Trek film, "Never give up, never surrender!"

ReverendSpooky wrote:Thank you man.  I really should get some good photos.  The tub was such a lucky find and I love it so much.  Have to put something fun together.  And that fact that you're doing a review, but we do get these perfect little scenes is it's own magic.  It really does elevate these and adds so much fun.  

Looking forward to it!

19superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:54 am

blackpool

blackpool
definitely getting one of these! Thanks for the review GF!

20superhero - VS TOYS BATHROOM Empty Re: VS TOYS BATHROOM Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:25 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
blackpool wrote:definitely getting one of these! Thanks for the review GF!

Thank you very much, blackpool. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum