OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Just kidding..

Stryker2011

Founding Father
But, no. Really.

It’s your fault... Mad

Stryker2011

Founding Father
By the way, Deadpool and Cable in the Star Wars verse would be a spoof I’d pay money for.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:By the way, Deadpool and Cable in the Star Wars verse would be a spoof I’d pay money for.

LOL, well... look for Deadpool in the HT Royal Guard review. He's in there too, I promise. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

LOL!

Just thinking, if you got Palpatine without the throne, there's a chance, albeit small, that somewhere like Toy Anxiety may have the throne available as a separate piece. EBay sellers may part him out too.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
LOL!

Just thinking, if you got Palpatine without the throne, there's a chance, albeit small, that somewhere like Toy Anxiety may have the throne available as a separate piece. EBay sellers may part him out too.

CHEERS!

True. I never have good luck with TA, to be honest. If you’re not checking that site every 3 seconds you miss most of the good stuff. And I’ve already seen scalpers on eBay parting this out, and they want $200 for the throne by itself (for an $80 accessory) — which doesn’t make sense considering the Deluxe set is still available at retail.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Ouch, not good!

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I saw Toy Anxiety parted out the Deluxe set, but since I had already ordered it, I did not keep an eye on the offerings. They are very aptly named if you are really on the lookout for something coming in.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

More so if you're hoping to avoid import duty, which I actually wasn't hit with last time I bought from them. They are only not good if you want one small item that falls below their minimum spend.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:More so if you're hoping to avoid import duty, which I actually wasn't hit with last time I bought from them. They are only not good if you want one small item that falls below their minimum spend.

Congratulations on successfully avoiding the import duty! May you continue to do so in future. It has been quite some time that I haven't met their minimum spend limit. And they are among the best part out businesses out there, not overpricing too egregiously, combining or refunding shipping when you order multiple items, etc. They have gotten plenty of good karma, at least in my book.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

With everything else I've bought from the US I have been hit! And from Japan. God only knows what's going to happen after next month!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:With everything else I've bought from the US I have been hit! And from Japan. God only knows what's going to happen after next month!

I've heard arguments going either way, but let's hope for a pleasant surprise and a less onerous policy sans Europe.

Peaches

Peaches
The Emperor looks so jolly happy in his chair, like a kid! So adorable!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Rogerbee wrote:With everything else I've bought from the US I have been hit! And from Japan. God only knows what's going to happen after next month!

I've heard arguments going either way, but let's hope for a pleasant surprise and a less onerous policy sans Europe.

The UK wishes it shared your optimism!

CHEERS!

Ephiane

Ephiane
Absolute Great Review ! Led Lights inside the Throne, Wow. And he looks so mean. Love him. The photostorys are great entertainment Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:The Emperor looks so jolly happy in his chair, like a kid!  So adorable!

I know they were going for creepy with his grin, but in some of the photos, and especially with all the light for them washing out some of the detail, he does look rather jolly, doesn't he?

Rogerbee wrote:The UK wishes it shared your optimism!

Fingers crossed it would be ok. As I understand it, part of the problem is to exit with or without a deal, and the situation is complicated by border traffic with an EU Ireland if the UK is no longer in the EU. Certainly a tough nut to crack to everyone's satisfaction. But ultimately, the policy on such duties will be the fault or credit of your elected officials.

Ephiane wrote:Absolute Great Review ! Led Lights inside the Throne, Wow. And he looks so mean. Love him. The photostories are great entertainment Laughing

Thank you very much, Ephiane, glad you liked the review, and the goofy photos! Yes, the lights are basic but very effective. And I should add it is nice to work with common batteries for a change. Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

That's right, you got the main points right. It's just annoying that there's nothing we can do and everything they can and don't seem to do.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
My Deluxe Emperor and Throne showed up today. Holy cow, Batman! This little guy is awesome. I do think a second portrait, more stern, would have been a real treat for this guy, and something he truly deserved.

Guv, I have to ask: is that comment you made about him being the father and grandfather of Vader & Luke something that was hinted at, or is that just speculation on your part? I'd hate to think Lucas messed up the franchise even more than he already had.

EDIT: (No, I don't blame you for my getting this. He is super cool looking, and a great addition to my Star Wars bunch. It's nice to have more villains represented on the shelves).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here's my Emperor, right out of the box with minimal futzing. Super cool figure. I'm SOO glad I decided to pick this guy up. (Pictures aren't that great -- hard to get the camera to focus on his face).

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 _dsc2912
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 _dsc2913

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:My Deluxe Emperor and Throne showed up today. Holy cow, Batman! This little guy is awesome. I do think a second portrait, more stern, would have been a real treat for this guy, and something he truly deserved.

Guv, I have to ask: is that comment you made about him being the father and grandfather of Vader & Luke something that was hinted at, or is that just speculation on your part? I'd hate to think Lucas messed up the franchise even more than he already had.

EDIT: (No, I don't blame you for my getting this. He is super cool looking, and a great addition to my Star Wars bunch. It's nice to have more villains represented on the shelves).

Agreed on the face(s) and glad I did not steer you wrong. Somewhere in the Prequels (for once I don't take pride in not knowing enough about them) there is a very strong implication that the future emperor, as a Sith Lord, somehow engineered Anakin's mother's "immaculate" conception through Force magic (or did he visit her in spirit form?), so Anakin is, in a sense, his son, and Luke and Leia his grandchildren. Or something like that. I don't actually care much for that plot -- it is very much like one of those other over-determined and over-connected afterthoughts that have been unnecessarily added on to the original pure canon. At any rate, I did not make it up. If I had, I would have stuck closer to the Augustan precedent and the story would have turned out a lot different. And less silly. Smile

Stryker2011 wrote:Here's my Emperor, right out of the box with minimal futzing. Super cool figure. I'm SOO glad I decided to pick this guy up. (Pictures aren't that great -- hard to get the camera to focus on his face).

Looks like you already managed to seat him better than I did, and with your first try. Congratulations! I take it your main concern has been surmounted and happy to see you happy. Funny how an inept supervillain can cause so much joy. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh, man. That's tragic the amount of damage Lucas did in those prequels. They always felt like really bad 2 hour toy commercials to me. So many bad elements and far too many coincidences. One of my least favorite alterations was that the Force was no longer an energy field that "gifted" people could tap into, but some sort of Intergalactic STD. Way to go, Lucas, you f'ing idiot.

But, yes. The Emperor is a really cool figure, and though his feet seem even further away from the floor than the guy in the video made them, he can slouch down enough in the chair to not have his head rubbing on the roof. For some reason, my photos make him look like he is looking up (and the camera was angled down), and his head was level with the floor.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

A pose like that usually requires beer and corn chips. As Ian McDiarmid was a Brit, I suspect a cup of Earl Grey would have sufficed.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Oh, man. That's tragic the amount of damage Lucas did in those prequels. ...

But, yes. The Emperor is a really cool figure, and though his feet seem even further away from the floor than the guy in the video made them, he can slouch down enough in the chair to not have his head rubbing on the roof. For some reason, my photos make him look like he is looking up (and the camera was angled down), and his head was level with the floor.

Agreed. As for the feet, I guess you have to tilt at the ankle and try to get the toes as close to the floor as possible. The looking up effect is not you, it is the head sculpt (I touched upon this briefly above). Although he's a relatively short guy (though the actor is actually taller than Mark Hammil) and he was seated much of the time, he should be able to look down (especially when others are on a lower step). But somewhere between the expression and the integral-neck head sculpt, they made that near impossible to replicate.

Rogerbee wrote:A pose like that usually requires beer and corn chips. As Ian McDiarmid was a Brit, I suspect a cup of Earl Grey would have sufficed.

Good one, Roger. And you should know your countrymen! But aren't they also known for getting "pissed" on beer and eating fish and chips and saying "oy" before mounting double-decker buses and invading France? I may have watched Eurotrip a few too many times. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Speaking of Lucas' revisions, when I was looking up some details for the review, I came across a series of essays on the Star Wars original trilogy (both the actual films and their drafts and deleted scenes). It might make some interesting reading considering all the changes (good or bad) that were applied to the original vision and how many discarded details ended up getting recycled, so I am sharing the links below. The writing could be a lot better, but bear in mind it was quickly translated from the original German (not by me).

Episode IV: Star Wars/A New Hope HERE
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back HERE
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi HERE

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the links, Guv. I knew about some of that behind the scenes, original scripts, etc., stuff, but not all of it.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Good one, Roger. And you should know your countrymen! But aren't they also known for getting "pissed" on beer and eating fish and chips and saying "oy" before mounting double-decker buses and invading France? I may have watched Eurotrip a few too many times. Smile

Oh behave!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thought I'd share some of the great photos that have been popping up of this guy (hope you don't mind, Guv). These are by others, Usernames credited above their photos. As you will see, some folks have figured out a solution to the dangling feet issue by placing the stand in front of the throne:

BuGz:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 436de910
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Bc26a210

Crazydragonclk:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 48375710
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 48395410
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 48419210
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 48423010
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 48935110

Creighton:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 7f5f8c10

Darth Fok:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 D19f2e10

davejames:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 20190117
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 20190118
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 20190119
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 20190120

drjedisith:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Thumbn11
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Thumbn12
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Thumbn10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Thumbn13

dukefett:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 B54mo710

Earthprimej:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 8b115510
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 93828e10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 C59df110

Enzo83:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Bprli210
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Bqgl8u10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Csk4kn10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Cxczii10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Fjklxp10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Vgyolu10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Xjy2a310
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Zkvptz10

genghisjon:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Ph5uyf10

hrguerra:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 1395
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 2188
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 3162
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 4149
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 5146
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 6142
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 7138
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 8130
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 9128
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 10120
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 11122

irezumi:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_1810
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_1811
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_2412
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_2413

Jazzinc (who made the diorama):

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 1396
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 2189
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 3163
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 4150

jedi18:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 1397
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 130a3910

Matrix69:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Dsc_0010
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Dsc_0110
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Dsc_0510
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Dsc_0511

Mugatu:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 2yxf9110
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 34rh9310

NDSam:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 55f1f710
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 B81a2510
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 C943dd10

NoenGaruth:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palpat12
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palpat10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palpat11
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palpat13
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palpat14
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palpat15

Pizza:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Bi4s4a10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Ce8y2g10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Jdwwrq10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Pka6qf10

skillerwhale (who seems to have been the first to figure out that if you put his stand in front of the throne, his feet rest comfortably):

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palmpa10

starduster:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_6410
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_6411
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_6412
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_6414
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_6413

TonTon (what an amazing Star Wars collection):

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 1398
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 2190
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 3164
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 4b76df10

xipotec:

rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Img_8510
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palps_10
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palps710
rotj - Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine (Deluxe) Review - Page 2 Palps810

Who would have thought there'd be so much love for a figure of a character who barely had any screen time... But he is pretty cool.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't mind at all. Thank you for sharing these photos, which are many, informative, and impressive, with the rest of us. Better lighting and camera do pay off and the proof is in the pudding above (I do have a better camera but too lazy -- and possibly unskilled -- to use it). The base under the feet is a solution, but it is not exactly screen accurate either.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

That is actually one of the best Star Wars figures HT have done. I only hope Figuarts can equal it in 1/12.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum