OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
My own design as he is no.7 out of 9 and they only designed six for some reason, just doubled a few up.
He's inspired by Chinese and European culture but in the fiction of Middle Earth I like to think he came from a race of humans that raised dragons (Smaug being an example of dragons existing in Middle Earth)  hence all the dragon iconography on his armour. What appears as a scythe could be a 'shepard's crook' but for dragons, either to subdue them catching it in a nostril to pull their heads down like a bull ring or to grab parts of the dragon's scales allowing riders to mount them like climbing axes which could then be used as melee weapons when airborne if needed. The weighted chain would also have been used to subdue smaller/younger dragons by throwing and wrapping it around a leg or neck whilst the beast was in flight or caged (similar to how the Sami  catch and heard reindeer). Once Sauron had corrupted their king and conquered them, the dragons were bred with dark powers that made them the Fell Beasts that the Wraith would later ride to the skies with searching for The One Ring. The "skull" is just a helm for the Wraith's form as these Wraith are still trying to cling to their former identities before they become completely absorbed by Sauron's power which is why they appear different to the later classic Black Riders of LOTR.

The other Wraith builds and a very long WIP thread!

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/855748-marathon-lotr-hobbit-16-figures-wip-th-witchking-wraith-started-22.html

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/856553-hobbit-greco-roman-wraith-dol-guldur-battle-last-bits-done-new-pics.html#post4803350

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/856825-my-finished-custom-easterling-wraith-hobbit-tbofa.html

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/856998-my-scratch-built-custom-haradrim-wraith-finished-outdoors-pics.html

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/857223-my-finished-custom-rohirrim-wraith-hobbit-outdoor-pics.html

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/sixth-scale-action-figure-news-reviews-and-discussion-/859842-hobbit-version-witch-king-morgul-lord-lead-wraith-followers-so-far.html

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t50-my-finished-custom-executioner-wraith-from-the-hobbit

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  DO4f4T1

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  EAYGTnL

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  L9kvdJe

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  HWulsuJ

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  K7f3yHs

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  Zsv3eFF

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  CWv0ogA

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  Wj3IPmf

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  ZQQk6GA

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  Ddczaf5

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  Vqxb9eH

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  ZTzRVEu

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  IukUA9d

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  CoHppUE

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  EwiUihH

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  8CvwQRY

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  SeBBCj6

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  ONVeGZd

#custom #lordoftherings #lots #wraith #fantasy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He turned out beautifully! Not that there was much doubt. While I was worried that something so very much Chinese may look out of place in Middle Earth, it works quite well, and the main impression is of an extremely ornate sort of armor. The wire in the cape also seems to work very well, for those dramatic cinematic poses. I am wondering about the skull; perhaps you already explained that elsewhere, but wasn't the common feature for the wraiths that their heads were not visible except when Frodo put on the ring? Or is this a skull-shaped helmet? Anyway, awesome work a usual. And cool back story, too!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really turned out cool. That scythe is wicked awesome.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:He turned out beautifully! Not that there was much doubt. While I was worried that something so very much Chinese may look out of place in Middle Earth, it works quite well, and the main impression is of an extremely ornate sort of armor. The wire in the cape also seems to work very well, for those dramatic cinematic poses. I am wondering about the skull; perhaps you already explained that elsewhere, but wasn't the common feature for the wraiths that their heads were not visible except when Frodo put on the ring? Or is this a skull-shaped helmet? Anyway, awesome work a usual. And cool back story, too!

Cheers GF! The tribal decorated skull is just something I've always wanted to use in a build as the "head" not just an accessory like I did on my medieval War Machine (part of his scythe ironically! Laughing ). I mentioned in the build it should be interpreted as a helmet or mask to contain the spirit's form, if you ever watch the original animation film of LOTR there's a scene in the inn when the Wraith realise they have been tricked by the Hobbits (into killing a bunch of pillows instead) and with blood curdling screams they throw their hoods back revealing very ornate helmets that I've always loved and grew up with; also other toy lines based on a different animation depict them with helmets too (got a figure of one in front of me8) ).

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  XI0frnc

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  J7cGwWp

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  LszqjgE

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the back story. I actually didn't know there was an animated version of LOTR. And it does work as a tightly-fitting helmet (which should be fine for a spirit form). Perhaps you can get TBLeague's Death Dealer and Majestic Crusader helmets to do some mods on for your other wraiths.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Oh yeah, it was by Ralph Bakshi. Till Peter Jackson came in it was the definitive LOTR and the one I grew up with. Can't remember if they did The Hobbit though.

Great figures too.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the back story. I actually didn't know there was an animated version of LOTR. And it does work as a tightly-fitting helmet (which should be fine for a spirit form). Perhaps you can get TBLeague's Death Dealer and Majestic Crusader helmets to do some mods on for your other wraiths.

I've already done a similar style of swept horns twice on this line up, first with my Easterling Wraith and again with my Rohirrim Wraith as I'm a big Frank Frazetta fan and love how it inspired the costumes in Pathfinder!

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  GlmG4Iu

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  Y49IOLU

Rogerbee wrote:Oh yeah, it was by Ralph Bakshi. Till Peter Jackson came in it was the definitive LOTR and the one I grew up with. Can't remember if they did The Hobbit though.

Great figures too.

CHEERS!

Thanks for filling in the blanks Roger! I can never remember his name! Someone did do an animated version of the Hobbit but apparently it was pretty awful! My stylised LOTR figure came from an animation too I believe but have no idea which one, I'm sure if I bothered to research it I would find out, might do that now! LOL.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rankin & Bass did the animated Hobbit and then they did the animated Return of the King. Both of them weren’t bad, and in fact, much better than Bakshi’s LOTR (which took far too many liberties, and only sort of covered The Fellowship and the Two Towers). Unlike Jackson’s Hobbit, the cartoon was fairly faithful to the book (up until the end, where for some unknown reason they killed off quite a few of the Dwarves during the Battle of Five Armies). The animated Return of the King probably wasn’t as successful as the animated Hobbit, but at least it filled the gap left by Bakshi’s incomplete LOTR. I have both of the R&B animated films on DVD, and though it’s been awhile, I can still watch The Hobbit. Bakshi’s movie, I never liked, probably more so for the rotoscoping more than the hodge-podge script. I find his over-use of found footage from films like Zulu for the Orcs distracting (I don’t remember Tolkien describing the Orcs as skinny, near-naked guys with feathery head-dresses and thin spears).
If you can track it down, I recommend the R&B Hobbit (its short and moves quickly, as it was made for commercial TV), and it has a pretty talented voice cast (John Huston played Gandalf).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Rankin & Bass did the animated Hobbit and then they did the animated Return of the King. Both of them weren’t bad, and in fact, much better than Bakshi’s LOTR (which took far too many liberties, and only sort of covered The Fellowship and the Two Towers). Unlike Jackson’s Hobbit, the cartoon was fairly faithful to the book (up until the end, where for some unknown reason they killed off quite a few of the Dwarves during the Battle of Five Armies). The animated Return of the King probably wasn’t as successful as the animated Hobbit, but at least it filled the gap left by Bakshi’s incomplete LOTR. I have both of the R&B animated films on DVD, and though it’s been awhile, I can still watch The Hobbit. Bakshi’s movie, I never liked, probably more so for the rotoscoping more than the hodge-podge script. I find his over-use of found footage from films like Zulu for the Orcs distracting (I don’t remember Tolkien describing the Orcs as skinny, near-naked guys with feathery head-dresses and thin spears).
If you can track it down, I recommend the R&B Hobbit (its short and moves quickly, as it was made for commercial TV), and it has a pretty talented voice cast (John Huston played Gandalf).

Thanks for the better insight on the movies, I'll try and hunt them down! I still love the cinematic montage style of Bakshi's though, especially the Wraith. I also heard that Zulu footage had been used then animated over to create the large battle scenes with orcs but never saw any feathery headdresses! Laughing The Zulu used iklwa not thin spears, Shaka Zulu invented the weapon and insisted all his armies used it instead of thin spears as it is far more versatile than a pole weapon.

fantasy - Reaper Wraith The Hobbit Dol Guldur Battle  Latest?cb=20160215015549

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like the cross-field intellectual discussion that has arisen from this thread.

Kukolka

Kukolka
Excellent work and thank you for sharing your imaginative characterization. It makes him more personal, not just one of the group of enemies.
How did you make the armour panels?

https://kukolkacreates.wordpress.com/blog/

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Kukolka wrote:Excellent work and thank you for sharing your imaginative characterization. It makes him more personal, not just one of the group of enemies.
How did you make the armour panels?

Thank you! As for the armour, I cheated and bought them on ebay! Embarassed I painted them though... Laughing

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn Shovelchop, the Reaper Wraith looks amazing. And now that you pointed it out, I can definitely see the design nods to the Bakshi LOTR. The armor is perfect, and your backstory fits so well with the design. And that ornate skull helmet is fierce as hell. Just awesome.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn Shovelchop, the Reaper Wraith looks amazing.  And now that you pointed it out, I can definitely see the design nods to the Bakshi LOTR.  The armor is perfect, and your backstory fits so well with the design.  And that ornate skull helmet is fierce as hell.  Just awesome.

Thank you RS! Glad someone likes the skull helmet idea! I know some of my designs can be a bit too unorthodox for many purists *cough* my Iron Man Samurai*cough*...Still in bits after the harsh critiques... Sad Embarassed Love the figure in your avatar! Who is he?

dadrab

dadrab
I bow to the wizard...

Beautiful work, Sir Chop. Each part works so well in "the whole" they seem to have been preordained to be there.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
dadrab wrote:I bow to the wizard...

Beautiful work, Sir Chop. Each part works so well in "the whole" they seem to have been preordained to be there.

Thank you dadrab! Funnily enough I wasn't crazy about the result until I wired and tattered the robes right at the end before the photoshoot! Laughing

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shovelchop81 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn Shovelchop, the Reaper Wraith looks amazing.  And now that you pointed it out, I can definitely see the design nods to the Bakshi LOTR.  The armor is perfect, and your backstory fits so well with the design.  And that ornate skull helmet is fierce as hell.  Just awesome.

Thank you RS! Glad someone likes the skull helmet idea! I know some of my designs can be a bit too unorthodox for many purists *cough* my Iron Man Samurai*cough*...Still in bits after the harsh critiques... Sad Embarassed Love the figure in your avatar! Who is he?

I'm a big fan of seeing some's unique perspective on a project, like when a comic gets handed off to an artist with a really distinct art style, and you get their interpretation. Your LOTR stuff is great, and since it's based on books, your take is just as valid as Bakshi's or Jackson's. There's a unifying style among all of them that hangs together really well, blending cinematic and cultural influences. Also, they look dope as hell.

Glad you dig my avatar! That's Saint Crow, the main character in a series of post apocalyptic figures I'm doing. I had a few threads up over at OSW, but I just brought them over here as well. Check it out: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t149-saint-crow-1st-of-the-radio-kings-post-apocalyptic-warlord-king-s-currency-wasteland-salvaged-records-turntable-and-speakers-megapost

http://reverendspooky.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum