OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

GeeWillikers

Ah, I haven't even seen the movie, so with seeing the actual boots everything makes sense now. In that case I retract my earlier comment. Smile

The heads look a little nicer in your photos too Asta, so I guess this is yet another case of having to juggle with lighting to get good results (no offence intended brassco - I know those are just quick shots to show us the stuff).

I'm warming to the idea of getting an S25 to put one of these sculpts on, now...

Skippy

GeeWillikers wrote:Ah, I haven't even seen the movie, so with seeing the actual boots everything makes sense now. In that case I retract my earlier comment. Smile

The heads look a little nicer in your photos too Asta, so I guess this is yet another case of having to juggle with lighting to get good results (no offence intended brassco - I know those are just quick shots to show us the stuff).

I'm warming to the idea of getting an S25 to put one of these sculpts on, now...

I don't have a proper place to take photos, so it's usually a case of room lighting and camera flash. Sometimes I can get away with that, especially with Hot Toys, but these Joi sculpts aren't so easy.  

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 48670827711_332d278314_o

They're identical to the prototype in sculpting, but the production paintwork lets them down a bit.

GeeWillikers

Ah yes, in closeup I can see how poorly-realised the paintwork on the eyes is. Although it doesn't look too bad in the longer shots. Photography is like alchemy though, sometimes magic just happens. Smile

Skippy

GeeWillikers wrote:Ah yes, in closeup I can see how poorly-realised the paintwork on the eyes is. Although it doesn't look too bad in the longer shots. Photography is like alchemy though, sometimes magic just happens. Smile

It's nice when the magic strikes. I astound myself sometimes! Very Happy

That old adage about things looking better in hand goes for many third party figures.

With Hot Toys' eyes you can zoom right in and marvel at the detail, but with something like this it's better to just view it on the shelf with the naked eye.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Hmm, your pics do make her look a little better, but, you can see that the paint on the teeth is a bit sloppy and the eyes look a little dead somehow. Still not sold enough to pull the trigger on the set yet.

Skippy

Rogerbee wrote:
Hmm, your pics do make her look a little better, but, you can see that the paint on the teeth is a bit sloppy and the eyes look a little dead somehow. Still not sold enough to pull the trigger on the set yet.

She's certainly not perfect. They messed up the scale of the sculpt; skimped on the paint; mis-matched the skin tone between the sculpt and the recommended body.

In that regard she's a let down. A middle of the road figure. Not as much of a let down as Toys Works' Jessica Jones, but more so than VTS' Furiosa - who was ridiculously under-scaled, yet wonderfully detailed regardless.

Still, I like how Joi looks on display on the smaller body, and she might be the only chance we have of the character.

These were the rest of the photo I took of her:

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 48670488098_79d49b93b8_o

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 48670827796_2d4e57be79_o

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 48671211962_b6b6814f46_o

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

The head to neck join looks a bit awkward. Nah, miss for me I'm afraid. They should have done their own female body.

Skippy

Rogerbee wrote:
The head to neck join looks a bit awkward. Nah, miss for me I'm afraid. They should have done their own female body.

That's because it's the earlier version of the Xing body. It caused problems for a lot of sculpts.

Their new version has a longer neck that fills the gap.

EDIT

I found the thread here about the update:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2047-new-product-poptoys-1-6-shape-series-modified-version-high-movable-female-body-92003-4-joint-92005-6-plastic

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 1998

navetsea

I'm waiting for that new Xing body with seamless limbs, that one with plastic limbs already out at GT, semi seamless one not yet.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Hmm, that might improve things, maybe a tad....

couturiervite

couturiervite
Have this kit. I actually think it's a very accurate rendition of the character and actress, but the small head does make picking a body unnecessarily difficult. I currently have mine on a Phicen S25B with a bit of textured medical tape to compensate for the smaller ball joint on the petite Phicen bodies. It suits the smaller head for sure, but the proportions aren't quite right compared to Ana de Armas. Would love a better option if it exists.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
rachcouture wrote:Have this kit. I actually think it's a very accurate rendition of the character and actress, but the small head does make picking a body unnecessarily difficult. I currently have mine on a Phicen S25B with a bit of textured medical tape to compensate for the smaller ball joint on the petite Phicen bodies. It suits the smaller head for sure, but the proportions aren't quite right compared to Ana de Armas. Would love a better option if it exists.

Glad you liked it, and thanks for sharing your experience of this set.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Somehow I missed these reviews earlier — I do think the Poptoys Xing body looks good with it, and the improved version of the body with the longer neck that is coming out soon should make it look even better.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Skippy

skywalkersaga wrote:Somehow I missed these reviews earlier — I do think the Poptoys Xing body looks good with it, and the improved version of the body with the longer neck that is coming out soon should make it look even better.

A reduced height (i.e., de-ankle pegged) Xing does seem to be the best compromise to accommodate the small sculpt.

'Compromise' is the key word. She needs another half an inch in height to be accurate, so I tried to fudge it a bit by having her on a taller stand.

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 49528573078_6d963eaa32_o

When K eventually arrives I might position the three figures in a 'V' shape with Joi in the middle at the back so that her short stature is disguised by perspective.

Like this:

virtual girl - NEW PRODUCT: Blackbox 1/6th scale Guess Me Series “Virtual Girl” 12" figure (NSFW warning -- though edited by Manufacturer) - Page 2 49403365947_38db414e93_o

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sounds like a good plan, Asta. Simple pleasures and simple solutions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum