OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Empty Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:10 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
While waiting for QMX to get around to following up their stellar series of Firefly and Star Trek captains and crew (Mal Reynolds, James Tiberius Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Spock, McCoy) by releasing the new Kirk, I couldn't help but kitbash my own.

Most of the outfit is from the 12" Playmates Star Trek Command Series Kirk (partly modified), on a new body, with a new black undershirt, and new boots. The head is new too, partly repainted (eyes, sideburns, eyebrows, hair). It was ironic that I darkened the hair to make it look more like Chris Pine, but then had to lighten it up with highlights to approximate his appearance in the films (the hair sculpt is not quite exact but I wasn't going to recarve it).

Here are a few photos of the custom/kitbashed Kirk, with the other Star Trek characters produced by QMX (except for George Hamilton).

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi10

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi11

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi12

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi13

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi14

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi15

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi16

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi18

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi17

#custom #kitbash #startrek #kirk #male #film

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Looks good. The Pine head might be sitting a little high on the neck, but the only pic where it seems a bit off is the side view -- the other shots are fine. The undershirt improves the neck and seems to make the shirt hang better. The sculpt looks good, the gear looks good. I wish I'd gotten those Kirk and Spock movie figures. I ended up with two Pikes, two Sulus and a McCoy because (sadly) I waited till they went on sale. The pic where Shatner takes a selfie with Pine is perfect.

Did you hear the plot of the next Star Trek movie? Current William Shatner reveals himself to Pine as his future self. The next 45 minutes is just Chris Pine, crying. Laughing

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very Nice they look great!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Moonbase Alpha Male! Glad you like the head, since that was the most complicated work (though I went through two bodies and undershirts and pairs of boots before I settled on this result). Like I said, it actually looked more like Chris Pine before I went back to put in the highlights, which makes me slightly annoyed now.

The head is relatively loose on the internal neck connector, and it actually sits at different heights in different photos, as needed -- but you are right that on the sideways view I hadn't futzed enough with it and it looks just a little too high. Part of the problem is that the black undershirt tends to ride up a little bit on the neck, while the yellow uniform shirt's neckline is not quite as low as it should be. I could have avoided much of that, had I not gotten overzealous with the scissors in trimming the inside part of the attached black cloth on the original outfit; it was too difficult to repair, so I went for a separate undershirt. That's why I am happy with the adjustable head (though it was a happy accident, not design).

Until a week ago, I owned only Kirk (Shatner) and Picard (these two are my favorites); I blame DFC for posting the great Star Trek episode photo story and inciting me to get Spock and McCoy; and to make my second Kirk (Pine). I am not a completist, so no Sulu or Khan for me (besides, the latter looks like Hamilton, not Montauban to me). Heck, I'm not even a Trekkie (oops, sorry, Trekker), but they are just so good it is difficult to resist.

For a guy who has only taken maybe two selfies (if that) in his life, I do find them useful and funny (I consider them silly) in sixth scale photos.

Thanks for the spoilers! Smile Glad there's another Star Trek movie, and that both Shatner and Pine are in it.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very Nice they look great!

Thank you very much!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Your Pine looks pretty good. Probably a good thing you made him, since who knows what’s going to happen to the Trek line from QMX (things have gone strangely quiet since they posted a pole). I for one want the entire TOS crew, but I have a feeling it’s going to be incomplete.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk C8485110

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you, Moonbase Alpha Male! Glad you like the head, since that was the most complicated work (though I went through two bodies and undershirts and pairs of boots before I settled on this result). Like I said, it actually looked more like Chris Pine before I went back to put in the highlights, which makes me slightly annoyed now.

The head is relatively loose on the internal neck connector, and it actually sits at different heights in different photos, as needed -- but you are right that on the sideways view I hadn't futzed enough with it and it looks just a little too high. Part of the problem is that the black undershirt tends to ride up a little bit on the neck, while the yellow uniform shirt's neckline is not quite as low as it should be. I could have avoided much of that, had I not gotten overzealous with the scissors in trimming the inside part of the attached black cloth on the original outfit; it was too difficult to repair, so I went for a separate undershirt. That's why I am happy with the adjustable head (though it was a happy accident, not design).

Until a week ago, I owned only Kirk (Shatner) and Picard (these two are my favorites); I blame DFC for posting the great Star Trek episode photo story and inciting me to get Spock and McCoy; and to make my second Kirk (Pine). I am not a completist, so no Sulu or Khan for me (besides, the latter looks like Hamilton, not Montauban to me). Heck, I'm not even a Trekkie (oops, sorry, Trekker), but they are just so good it is difficult to resist.

For a guy who has only taken maybe two selfies (if that) in his life, I do find them useful and funny (I consider them silly) in sixth scale photos.

Thanks for the spoilers! Smile Glad there's another Star Trek movie, and that both Shatner and Pine are in it.

Oh, I get what you're saying about the head being adjustable.  That explains why only one picture seemed a bit off.  You've definitely got the makings of a Star Trek cross-generations photo story here if you are so inclined.

If you're ever tempted, QMX Khan actually looks pretty good in hand, though we all owe Crawford for planting Hamilton in our heads which we can't unsee.  QMX Movie Khan may be even better.

Jokes aside, I have no idea whether Shatner will be in the next Star Trek or not.  I have no insight into Shatner even though (true story) years apart, both he and I played Shakespearean Roles in McGill Players' Theatre (ie Montreal, McGill University student-run drama club).

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Great figure!

Where did the Chris Pine head actually come from? I wasn't aware anyone had done one outside of the one Darren Carnall did (Which is amazing!). Darren actually painted the prototype Picard head for QMX, which is why it looked so good.

I too hope that QMX do all the Captains, including a bald Sisko from DS9, really good look!

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Your Pine looks pretty good. Probably a good thing you made him, since who knows what’s going to happen to the Trek line from QMX.

Thank you for the kind comment. As for QMX going silent, that would be disappointing, I hope we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:If you're ever tempted, QMX Khan actually looks pretty good in hand, though we all owe Crawford for planting Hamilton in our heads which we can't unsee.  QMX Movie Khan may be even better.

In Michael Crawford's defense, I was thinking of George Hamilton as soon as I saw the photos, and before seeing that he thought the same thing. Only difference is that as usual I did not remember the actor's name. But it was him.

Speaking of actors, since you and Shatner were on the same stage years apart, maybe you should have been the new Kirk and it should be your head that I was customizing Smile

Rogerbee wrote:Great figure! Where did the Chris Pine head actually come from? I wasn't aware anyone had done one outside of the one Darren Carnall did (Which is amazing!). Darren actually painted the prototype Picard head for QMX, which is why it looked so good.

Thank you, Roger! The head I modified is from that Hot Heart Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) action figure, where I have always said the face looked more like Chris Pine to me. As soon as I painted the eyes blue instead of green and thickened the eyebrows, it was pretty obvious (to me, anyway). The darker hair (unfortunately ruined by the highlights I had to add for the Star Trek Kirk look) and the altered hairline (less forehead in the upper corners, longer and pointier sideburns) helped too.

Is the Darren Carnall head the one used as an example in that long youtube series on how to paint heads? That one is amazing. But I have not seen it anywhere to get. Besides, my experience painting heads from scratch has been very dubiously successful. I found two (neck and no neck) unpainted versions of a Chris Pine on eBay (sold from Spain), but didn't go for them for the same reason (and, although one can't be sure just looking at the unpainted version, I wasn't 100% sure the likeness was to my liking).

I, too, hope they do all the captains. By the way, I know the Picard face is not quite in focus in the photo here, but it in hand the product is quite close to perfection.

dadrab

dadrab
Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi14

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahhahahahahaha

Great photo and damn fine work in general.

Very convincing.

I like it.

scalawag

scalawag
Very nicely done mate, and yep you are dead right about that head sculpt.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you dadrab and Paul! Glad you liked it.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, it does look more like Chris than Ryan. Good spot. Yes, the head in Darren's videos was the one I was referring to. We'll just have to see if QMX get round to him someday.

I too couldn't unsee George while looking at KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!! I've been guilty of that myself when I said that the Treasure Hunter head looked like George Dubya Bush! You can't unsee that either, LOL!

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote: Yeah, it does look more like Chris than Ryan. Good spot. Yes, the head in Darren's videos was the one I was referring to. We'll just have to see if QMX get round to him someday.

Thanks, Roger! Glad you agree. And let's hope QMX continues the good work. I could unsee George W, but I also see your point. Smile

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Great work! I'm not too big a fan of the new movies but you did a great job on the Ryan Reynolds ==> Chris Pine repaint, as well as all the outfit customizing! And I love the shots of all the old crew together. I am a big fan of TOS!

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:Looks good.  The Pine head might be sitting a little high on the neck, but the only pic where it seems a bit off is the side view -- the other shots are fine.  The undershirt improves the neck and seems to make the shirt hang better.  The sculpt looks good, the gear looks good.  I wish I'd gotten those Kirk and Spock movie figures.  I ended up with two Pikes, two Sulus and a McCoy because (sadly) I waited till they went on sale.  The pic where Shatner takes a selfie with Pine is perfect.

Did you hear the plot of the next Star Trek movie?  Current William Shatner reveals himself to Pine as his future self.  The next 45 minutes is just Chris Pine, crying.  Laughing

dadrab wrote:Custom Star Trek Chris Pine Captain Kirk Kirkpi14

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahhahahahahaha

Great photo and damn fine work in general.

Very convincing.

I like it.

Absolutely spot on humor!
The figure rocks as well. Every time I stop to think about how much I enjoyed the original Trek, I keep seeing Tim Allen at home in Galaxy Quest and wondering how many times a week Shatner does the same thing.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pontiacivan wrote:Every time I stop to think about how much I enjoyed the original Trek, I keep seeing Tim Allen at home in Galaxy Quest and wondering how many times a week Shatner does the same thing.

That’s assuming he remembers even being in Star Trek.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you Tank Girl and Pontiacvan! Hmmm, I'd love a Tim Allen from Galaxy Quest figure... whether sold as a complete set or kitbashed. Come to think of it, the supporting cast would be nice too. I love that movie. It is actually my favorite Star Trek movie! Wink I really hope I didn't offend anyone.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It is a good movie. I’d love the whole crew. But FAVORITE Star Trek movie? Blasphemer!!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:It is a good movie. I’d love the whole crew. But FAVORITE Star Trek movie? Blasphemer!!

Sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities. But I stand by my position. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum