OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Wed May 01, 2019 5:12 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update and Sideshow comparison in Post 8

I'm sure I've seen others do the same, but I finally got around to trying out the old Kenner sixth-scale uniforms on better heads and bodies as a simple custom/kitbash rebel trooper on Hoth. You can see the result in the four photos that follow.

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Hothrt10

While the original Kenner figure proportions were a bit off (shorter limbs, larger heads), the outfits are often salvageable for customs or kitbashes. This is largely the case here. The final look is a bit on the puffy side, but the wider/thicker appearance of the sleeves, pants, and vest actually appears appropriate as protection from the cold Hoth (or Norway) environment. Likewise with the slightly oversized helmet. The boots are a bit on the simple side, but some weathering might help. The only part that really bothers me are the bottoms of the sleeves -- they should have been longer and a little less narrow (that last part might be fixable with some effort). Note: After taking the photos below, I realized I had put on the pants the wrong way (the quilted part should be on the front, as in the photo above) -- I mean, who puts the "zipper" part in the back? Wink .

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Hothrt11

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Hothrt12

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Hothrt13

I had long wanted to make some of these guys (at least as playmates for my snowtroopers), but wasn't willing to invest the money in the higher-end parted-out pieces from Sideshow. I think these turned out pretty decent for my relatively limited interest and purposes.

What do you think?

#starwars #esb #empirestrikesback #hoth #rebel #trooper #male #scifi

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
You did an excellent job making that outfit work! Smile I think he fits in well with the other figures. The only thing that could help him fit in even more seamlessly is indeed some weathering -- or perhaps, in this case, snow -- on the boots, especially. But overall I think he looks good, and even the weirdly shaped sleeves don't look too bad when he's in actual action poses.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That looks pretty good. If you have any sewing skills, you could possibly re-hem the clothes to fit a little better. Overall, still pretty cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:You did an excellent job making that outfit work! Smile I think he fits in well with the other figures. The only thing that could help him fit in even more seamlessly is indeed some weathering -- or perhaps, in this case, snow -- on the boots, especially. But overall I think he looks good, and even the weirdly shaped sleeves don't look too bad when he's in actual action poses.

Thank you! As for weathering (compare the snowtrooper boots), the funny thing is that I had a second pair of Kenner boots that actually had weathering -- or rather the same snow effect you see on the vest -- but for some reason decided to go with these. Anyway, it is still something of a work in progress...

Stryker2011 wrote:That looks pretty good. If you have any sewing skills, you could possibly re-hem the clothes to fit a little better. Overall, still pretty cool.

Thank you! I do have some remedial sewing skills, and it just occurred to me that those cuffs probably don't need to be this wide (vertically), so maybe (just maybe) I can let them down a bit to lengthen the sleeves (not to mention make them a bit narrower). But like I said, maybe sometime in the future -- no time for anything ambitious right now.

scalawag

scalawag
Very nicely done. It does make a very presentable Hotheadedness's Rebel trooper.

The first thing I noticed on this is the helmet looking a little too big, but in the more distant shots it doesn't look so big.

Paul

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ooh, another thing you could do, though obviously only if/when you feel like bothering with it, would be to perhaps add some thin faux leather 'straps' to the boots as well. I think that, plus some washes/dry washes, would add a bit more depth to them.

ETA: and as for some aspects of his outfit being too big, while of course it would be ideal to alter them, in this scenario you can kind of get away with it as it is -- the Rebels are pretty 'rag-tag' anyway, and who's to say that the clothing and/or gear didn't previously belong to some poor departed alien Rebel with weird proportions? Laughing

7empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Thu May 02, 2019 11:29 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:Very nicely done.  It does make a very presentable Hotheadedness's Rebel trooper. The first thing I noticed on this is the helmet looking a little too big, but in the more distant shots it doesn't look so big.

Thank you, Paul. Yep, it is a bit big, but most of the time it looks passable to me -- especially as I imagine it needs to provide enough insulation from the cold. It does look better in the more distant shots, and I did swap the head I was originally going to use with a slightly bigger one to make it look a little better before doing the photos.

skywalkersaga wrote:Ooh, another thing you could do, though obviously only if/when you feel like bothering with it, would be to perhaps add some thin faux leather 'straps' to the boots as well. I think that, plus some washes/dry washes, would add a bit more depth to them.

ETA: and as for some aspects of his outfit being too big, while of course it would be ideal to alter them, in this scenario you can kind of get away with it as it is -- the Rebels are pretty 'rag-tag' anyway, and who's to say that the clothing and/or gear didn't previously belong to some poor departed alien Rebel with weird proportions? Laughing

You would make an admirable public defender Smile Good justification anyway. I am considering weathering and sprucing up the boots. I actually went ahead and bought a pair of the Sideshow ones that came with Luke or Han, to study for comparison (although I also have the costume book and other images) before I do anything to these.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update

I did get the Sideshow boots, and then a few other pieces from the Sideshow Hoth Luke and Han sets that I was able to find parted out for relatively reasonable prices. Enough for a comparison between my first try (with an entirely Hasbro outfit) and the new one (an entirely Sideshow outfit except for the helmet). It should come as no surprise that every element of the Sideshow outfit was better, but especially the boots (more expressively sculpted and weathered -- actually too much, compared to some of the set photos) and the shirt (better tailored and proportioned). The pants and the vest make less of a difference. Overall, for a more affordable army builder, the Hasbro outfit works decently enough. The only thing that really bothers me with it is the bulky shirt, with its overly short and wide sleeves (have not yet gotten around to trying to alter them). And of course the helmets are a bit oversized too, but I think I've been looking at enough smaller scale action figures that they actually look almost ok to me. And I keep telling myself -- extra padding for the wintry Norwegian Hoth conditions! Smile

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Hothrt14

What do you think?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. Definitely less Michelin Man than the Hasbro version. And the detailing is definitely better.

10empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It does look better! And the comparison photo is a very useful resource for anyone else who might be thinking of doing a similar kitbash.

To my eyes, while obviously the Sideshow clothing is a bit more realistic and tailored, the main things that stand out between them are the boots and, as you noted, the sleeves. I don't actually think the Hasbro vest part and the pants/trousers look all that bad, even next to the Sideshow versions. : )

11empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Fri May 10, 2019 3:01 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. Definitely less Michelin Man than the Hasbro version. And the detailing is definitely better.

skywalkersaga wrote:It does look better! And the comparison photo is a very useful resource for anyone else who might be thinking of doing a similar kitbash.

To my eyes, while obviously the Sideshow clothing is a bit more realistic and tailored, the main things that stand out between them are the boots and, as you noted, the sleeves. I don't actually think the Hasbro vest part and the pants/trousers look all that bad, even next to the Sideshow versions. : )

Well, that is the difference between a hight-end collectible and a mass-produced toy. Like I said, it was to be expected, but I'm glad SWS agrees. As for the boots, while they don't have as detailed and complex a sculpt as the Sideshow ones, the Hasbro simpler/cleaner look isn't really that far off -- see the set photo below.

empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) 266c9903e9ecec3aa71ba17c4cdc77a7

12empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Fri May 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, the Hasbro isn’t bad for what it is.

Man, can you imagine just how cold it must have been...

13empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Fri May 10, 2019 3:40 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I see what you mean about the boots, GF! I guess I'm just so used to how they are depicted in action figure form, I'd almost forgotten how they look on-screen. Though being snow-covered is at least screen accurate, lol.

14empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Sat May 11, 2019 12:38 am

scalawag

scalawag
Great comparison mate, and I agree on the boots. I actually think the Hasbro ones look closer to those in the pic which seem to be wellington boots with a cloth covering again (the Tusken Raider boots in ANH where also wellingtons with cloth strips wrapped round).
The Sideshow shirt is definitely better, but either set of pants and vest would work I think.

I am not sure, but is that trooper in the right foreground holding a modified M1 carbine? It looks like it could be from the shape of the barrel and hand guard but I can't be sure. Not seen one used in Star Wars before if it is.

Paul

15empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Sat May 11, 2019 11:19 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:Great comparison mate, and I agree on the boots.  I actually think the Hasbro ones look closer to those in the pic which seem to be wellington boots with a cloth covering again (the Tusken Raider boots in ANH where also wellingtons with cloth strips wrapped round).
The Sideshow shirt is definitely better, but either set of pants and vest would work I think.

I am not sure, but is that trooper in the right foreground holding a modified M1 carbine?  It looks like it could be from the shape of the barrel and hand guard but I can't be sure.  Not seen one used in Star Wars before if it is.

You are probably right about what they used for the boots -- they did adapt so many real world pieces with little additions or subtractions here and there. I find the Sideshow boots more interesting on the figure, but they might be a tad too "expressive" compared to what we see on the set photo, which somehow looked closer to the simpler Hasbro boots to me.

As for the firearm, I would trust you more than I would trust me -- I basically just know which is the "pointy" end. Wink But I wouldn't be surprised it is a slightly modified real-world gun at all (as you know, most of them were, slightly modified).

16empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 am

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
scalawag wrote:Great comparison mate, and I agree on the boots.  I actually think the Hasbro ones look closer to those in the pic which seem to be wellington boots with a cloth covering again (the Tusken Raider boots in ANH where also wellingtons with cloth strips wrapped round).

I am not sure, but is that trooper in the right foreground holding a modified M1 carbine?  It looks like it could be from the shape of the barrel and hand guard but I can't be sure.  Not seen one used in Star Wars before if it is.

You are probably right about what they used for the boots -- they did adapt so many real world pieces with little additions or subtractions here and there. I find the Sideshow boots more interesting on the figure, but they might be a tad too "expressive" compared to what we see on the set photo, which somehow looked closer to the simpler Hasbro boots to me.

As for the firearm, I would trust you more than I would trust me -- I basically just know which is the "pointy" end. Wink But I wouldn't be surprised it is a slightly modified real-world gun at all (as you know, most of them were, slightly modified).

Yeah the Luke boots do have more interest to them, but they are the Hero version I guess.  It's always tricky to know which way to go with these things.  The trooper boots in the pic are probably only ever meant to be seen from a distance or in the background, and so were made cheaper and with less detail but to look like the hero boot in the circumstances they are to be seen on screen.  We are never meant to see them as close as they are in the pic that you posted.  The hero boots will have all the detail as we are more likely to see them up close.  But on screen both types would in theory at least look like similar boots to one another, so do we go with what we know they wore? or what we 'see' on screen? always a choice to be made.
Personally I would always go with the 'Hero' of any given object when making a figure I think, as that is what the director intended us to see on screen.
Interestingly this sort of dilemma happens less these days due to the Hi Def filming techniques used now and because we all have near perfect quality freeze frame.  Today film makers insist that the background objects need to be as accurate and detailed as the hero versions because that detail can be seen, so this dilemma disappears.  They are often made of other materials to lighten them or make them cheaper but they look identical now rather than the 'good enough' that used to suffice.

I know they used rubber casts of STG44 german rifles for a lot of the rebel guns on Hoth (the trooper at the back of the pic stood against the trench parapet has one of these), and Sterling smg  casts are evident in the pic too in the form of DH 17 rebel blasters in the troopers holsters, but I can't find reference to the M1 Carbine ever being used.  That of course  doesn't mean it wasn't as one may have snuck its way in, who knows.  It may just be one of the STG44 casts that is being held at an angle that makes it look more like the muzzle end of an M1 carbine????

Paul

17empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Sun May 12, 2019 4:01 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:Yeah the Luke boots do have more interest to them, but they are the Hero version I guess.  It's always tricky to know which way to go with these things.  The trooper boots in the pic are probably only ever meant to be seen from a distance or in the background, and so were made cheaper and with less detail but to look like the hero boot in the circumstances they are to be seen on screen.  We are never meant to see them as close as they are in the pic that you posted.  The hero boots will have all the detail as we are more likely to see them up close.  But on screen both types would in theory at least look like similar boots to one another, so do we go with what we know they wore? or what we 'see' on screen? always a choice to be made.
Personally I would always go with the 'Hero' of any given object when making a figure I think, as that is what the director intended us to see on screen.
Interestingly this sort of dilemma happens less these days due to the Hi Def filming techniques used now and because we all have near perfect quality freeze frame.  Today film makers insist that the background objects need to be as accurate and detailed as the hero versions because that detail can be seen, so this dilemma disappears.  They are often made of other materials to lighten them or make them cheaper but they look identical now rather than the 'good enough' that used to suffice.

I know they used rubber casts of STG44 german rifles for a lot of the rebel guns on Hoth (the trooper at the back of the pic stood against the trench parapet has one of these), and Sterling smg  casts are evident in the pic too in the form of DH 17 rebel blasters in the troopers holsters, but I can't find reference to the M1 Carbine ever being used.  That of course  doesn't mean it wasn't as one may have snuck its way in, who knows.  It may just be one of the STG44 casts that is being held at an angle that makes it look more like the muzzle end of an M1 carbine????

I didn't think of that -- some boots being "hero" versions; but if helmets could do it, why not boots? Or it could be Sideshow making them look even more expressive (weathered, detailed, etc) than the actual prop used in the movie.

Speaking of guns, while I will leave the weaponry identification to you, I did just complete a long-delayed weapon custom I had planned -- check out the Dengar thread (HERE).

18empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Tue May 14, 2019 10:59 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
If you wanted to go for a different route on the hat, you could try a WWII German Field cap, with the 'ears' down.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGON-1-6-German-M43-Field-Cap-/303121145109https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGON-1-6-German-M43-Field-Cap-/303121145109
Paint it up grey/white and you'd be rollin'!

Planning on trying this myself at some point.

19empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Tue May 14, 2019 11:14 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
PickleMunkey wrote:If you wanted to go for a different route on the hat, you could try a WWII German Field cap, with the 'ears' down.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGON-1-6-German-M43-Field-Cap-/303121145109https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGON-1-6-German-M43-Field-Cap-/303121145109
Paint it up grey/white and you'd be rollin'!
Planning on trying this myself at some point.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I always knew the rebels were bad! Wink I will give it a try -- just bought some.

20empirestrikesback - Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Empty Re: Star Wars Hoth Rebel Trooper (updated) Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:59 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Informative Thread as always from GF Smile  Exactly the thread I needed. Thanks
The vest doesn't look bad at all and the boots can be upgraded. 

Not that I want to put Kenner outfits on a seamless body, but do you think it would fit there too? I think seamless are often a bit more muscular and because of the rubber skin harder to dress than smooth plastic skin. 
Like I said, I wouldn't put the cheap clothes on a seamless just curious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum