OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My first outdoor shoot

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My first outdoor shoot Empty My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
My first outdoor shoot 33950528798_8823e952a1_b3Aweb by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

I've been wanting to shoot some photos outdoors for a while now, but so far the Montreal weather has not been very good, at least on my days off where I can shoot.  I'll b honest that I've never much liked location photography when I can shoot in a studio of some sort instead and have everything I need with me at my finger tips and no need to worry about the weather.  But I had to give this a go, and since there is a park with sandboxes across the street from where I live, I decided to give it  shot today.  I liked the results, though sandboxes don't offer the most stable platforms to stand your figures and I found the wind blowing them down was a problem, though not as big as I had thought it would be.  I brought a lot of stuff with me, but the one thing I needed most; a brush to brush stand off the figures after each time they fell down, I naturally forgot.  One thing I was thankful for was that there was no one else in the park.  No adults to ask silly questions like "Are you shooting photos?" or no bratty kids to get in my shots as they try reach for my figures.  

Anyway...I am resolved to try more of this as time and weather allows, and for reference, the other photos I shot today can be found on the OSF Funnies page at: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t47-osf-funnies-continuously-updated

Feedback welcome as always

2My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 6:23 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
So far, so good! And I like your humorous take! Very Happy

I completely understand about the weather issue.... it's far too wet all the time over here in the UK for me to dare take my figures outside. There has to be a good span of at least a couple of dry days in a row for me to even risk it! ;p

Frustrating about the wind, but at least those tbleague bodies are pretty darn durable, and they do stand up on their own better than most other types! So they are probably your best bet in windy weather anyway. Smile

Focusing on the Prequels, Clone Wars, and Original Trilogy eras (NO 'sequels', thanks!)
https://the-far-bright-center.tumblr.com/

3My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 6:42 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:So far, so good! And I like your humorous take! Very Happy

I completely understand about the weather issue.... it's far too wet all the time over here in the UK for me to dare take my figures outside. There has to be a good span of at least a couple of dry days in a row for me to even risk it! ;p

Frustrating about the wind, but at least those tbleague bodies are pretty darn durable, and they do stand up on their own better than most other types! So they are probably your best bet in windy weather anyway. Smile

I was surprised myself at how well they stood up given the unsure footing of soft sand. I also learned that in future, I should take only what I'm going to need for that shoot and maybe carry the stuff in a backpack as opposed to a box.

4My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 8:58 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Congratulations on the spell of good weather and starting your outdoors shots.

5My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 9:44 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Congratulations on the spell of good weather and starting your outdoors shots.

Thanks.  

The challenges of outdoor shoots, as i see them are as follows.  

1. Weather, including the wind that blows down your figures.

2. The amount of stuff you might have to lug around with you.

3. Trying to make sure the figures don't look out of scale with landscape and background.

4. Personal discomfort as one frequently has to assume awkward positions on uncomfortable terrain.

5. Spectators or interlopers if you are shooting in a public place.

I'm sure I'll come up with others as I do more outdoor work.  Anyone with experience in this, feel free to contribute.

6My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 11:30 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, being able to control every aspect of the shoot is the best option (but it's also the most expensive, imho). What with all the lights, filters, gels, reflectors, etc. -- it gets expensive fast. If I had a decent place to shoot outside, where the weather wasn't crap, I'd probably do most of it outdoors. Unfortunately, as you say -- lugging all that stuff around, or finding a place where the cops won't show up to find out why some creepy old guy is playing with dolls, is always a trick.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My first outdoor shoot Bnp4ba10
Credit to greygoose for the signature card

7My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah, being able to control every aspect of the shoot is the best option (but it's also the most expensive, imho). What with all the lights, filters, gels, reflectors, etc. -- it gets expensive fast. If I had a decent place to shoot outside, where the weather wasn't crap, I'd probably do most of it outdoors. Unfortunately, as you say -- lugging all that stuff around, or finding a place where the cops won't show up to find out why some creepy old guy is playing with dolls, is always a trick.

I'm less worried about police officers than a bratty four-year old trying to get his/her grubby little mitts on my figures, running into my shots, knocking things over. Policemen rarely do that.

8My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I guess the risk of kids is higher at certain locations, like a sandbox at a playground (which is, after all, meant for kids), as opposed to finding somewhere that is out in the open but more ‘out of the way’ where kids (or anyone) wouldn’t normally be.

And if all you need is sandy footing, would it be possible to make a sort of smaller, portable ‘mini sandbox’ that you could either use indoors in patch of natural sunlight, or take outside to the front/back yard (and/or a specific spot outside your house if you don’t have a yard) to use for photoshoots? At least that way, you could control that aspect of your ‘environment’.

Maybe it’s not realistic or feasible (and if it’s smaller it might still require a backdrop being used with it, or photoshopping), but just a thought...

9My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 12, 2019 4:10 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:I guess the risk of kids is higher at certain locations, like a sandbox at a playground (which is, after all, meant for kids), as opposed to finding somewhere that is out in the open but more ‘out of the way’ where kids (or anyone) wouldn’t normally be.

And if all you need is sandy footing, would it be possible to make a sort of smaller, portable ‘mini sandbox’ that you could either use indoors in patch of natural sunlight, or take outside to the front/back yard (and/or a specific spot outside your house if you don’t have a yard) to use for photoshoots? At least that way, you could control that aspect of your ‘environment’.

Maybe it’s not realistic or feasible (and if it’s smaller it might still require a backdrop being used with it, or photoshopping), but just a thought...

I don't have a yard and you might recall from some of my earlier pics, that I have used Photoshopped backgrounds. My indoor space is very tight and I don't have much spare room left to created the little mini-studio I'd like. I did have until last year, but then I decided to build a model railroad in that space. To boot, I have two curious cats who like to climb up on things and check things out. One of them especially, likes to experiment with physics and push things off the edges of tables to see what happens when she does. I should have named her "Newton." or something, but I digress.

So I'm looking at creating a shooting table that will fit underneath my model railroad when not in use, and which can be pulled out when needed, and on this I'll build sets for indoor photography.

10My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah, that's totally understandable -- I was just throwing it out there as a suggestion. : )

I completely understand the whole 'limited space' aspect, along with the nosey pets! I have two very inquisitive wolfdogs who will knock over anything if they get the chance -- they have to stay behind their baby-gate while I work on figure related projects, or else it would NOT be pretty. XD

Hope you can work out something to make your outdoor photography sessions go more smoothly, and also to create that indoor space/mini studio... having the option of both would of course be ideal. Smile

Focusing on the Prequels, Clone Wars, and Original Trilogy eras (NO 'sequels', thanks!)

11My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Picture ! Like to see more

12My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Great Picture ! Like to see more

Hey! Ephi, you managed to get back into your original account. That's great.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My first outdoor shoot Bnp4ba10
Credit to greygoose for the signature card

13My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ephiane wrote:Great Picture ! Like to see more

Well, I posted them up in the funnies section, but in case you missed that, here they are.  

My first outdoor shoot 47775529622_ffcc71b2a9_z4 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

My first outdoor shoot 47775549362_4c138d4a23_bDiscovery by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

My first outdoor shoot 46911496035_1bc3d7aaa5_bDiscovery 2 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

My first outdoor shoot 47775544342_e77f9fb222_bDiscovery 3 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

14My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Shame on me, i really missed some Threads here. Yours and many stuff of other Friends here. Great Pictures , Poses and Story telling. There are some 1:4 Aliens and 1:12 ones. The 1:6 one are really expensive... but now Your Story has to go on Laughing

15My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ephiane wrote:Shame on me, i really missed some Threads here. Yours and many stuff of other Friends here. Great Pictures , Poses and Story telling. There are some 1:4 Aliens and 1:12 ones. The 1:6 one are really expensive... but now Your Story has to go on Laughing

Well, Kamiko lives in the American Southwest in a post-apocalyptic early mid 21st century timeline (not to far from now actually) No aliens, but all sorts of radiation mutated life forms...plant and animal. Who knows which one this is and what might pop out of it?

16My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Tue May 14, 2019 11:42 am

blackpool

blackpool
Awesome shots! Outdoor photography is always and adventure, my biggest problem is often the time, from the beginning to the end of a shooting the sun has rotated a lot (actually earth did lol), which totally destroys the poses and backgrounds I've chosen, 15mn to pose and make a whole group stand together and bingo a tree or anything is casting a shadow right on them when I get back to my camera.

Not even mentioning the crouching/sitting/lying in the rocks and dust, if you go in very wild areas, always double check for ants, hornets, spiders, even snakes in summer, it happened to me more than once to settle and sit on an ant colony or face a small snake coming out of dry rocks I found "cool" as a background, hopefully it was not venomous and surely as scared as me lol

17My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
blackpool wrote:Awesome shots! Outdoor photography is always and adventure, my biggest problem is often the time, from the beginning to the end of a shooting the sun has rotated a lot (actually earth did lol), which totally destroys the poses and backgrounds I've chosen, 15mn to pose and make a whole group stand together and bingo a tree or anything is casting a shadow right on them when I get back to my camera.

Not even mentioning the crouching/sitting/lying in the rocks and dust, if you go in very wild areas, always double check for ants, hornets, spiders, even snakes in summer, it happened to me more than once to settle and sit on an ant colony or face a small snake coming out of dry rocks I found "cool" as a background, hopefully it was not venomous and surely as scared as me lol

My favorite glamor photographer, the late Peter Gowland had an ingenious solution to the shooting outdoors and the sun's constant change of relative position. On the roof of his second studio, he built a folding backdrop on a rotating platform. See link. This way he could always keep the sun where he wanted it. a 1/6th scale application I can think of is to build something similar for dioramas, but obviously, you could not do this for location photography.

https://www.petergowland.com/gowland-studios

18My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

blackpool

blackpool
Very interesting! Thanks for the link!

19My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
blackpool wrote:Very interesting! Thanks for the link!

There's an awful lot of commercial photography that involves solving problems, particularly since art directors often want photos that defy physical laws. Gowland was a particularly clever problem solver and master of illusions in the pre-Photoshop age.

20My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 pm

blackpool

blackpool
Photographers were close to genius at some point before everything turned digital...

I remember learning my best trick in an old commercial photography book, using an inclined mirror as background for small scale objects/figures allows to have a nice horizon and sky, simple but way more effective than photoshop!!!

21My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
blackpool wrote:Photographers were close to genius at some point before everything turned digital...

I remember learning my best trick in an old commercial photography book, using an inclined mirror as background for small scale objects/figures allows to have a nice horizon and sky, simple but way more effective than photoshop!!!

Before Gowland died and his website became a memorial, it was more there was a section in which he explained some of his best pre-Photoshop tricks. It was quite interesting. I still have a book of Gowland's photography at home. There were a few good tricks in there also, all of which he explained. I should dig it up. I also have a fabulous book on still photography, again, mostly pre digital, pre photoshop. Gotta look at that again for some ideas.

22My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
These look great!  The sandbox is the perfect desert environment!  Really fun.  And I do a lot of shooting outside, since it saves me a lot of effort with backgrounds, but I totally share your pain about all the points you mentioned..

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

3. Trying to make sure the figures don't look out of scale with landscape and background.

4. Personal discomfort as one frequently has to assume awkward positions on uncomfortable terrain.

I'm sure I'll come up with others as I do more outdoor work.  Anyone with experience in this, feel free to contribute.

1. This is always brutal.  Trying to get opportunity and weather to line up can be maddening.  I've had to just wait through the winter, and it's rained here almost every free weekend since spring hit.  And nothing is worse than when you get the perfect pose and shot lined up, and a strong gust of wind knocks everything over.  Maddening.

2. Ditto.  And then keeping track of any accessories that may fall off when a figure falls over...

3.  This is so hard, and one of the main thing I consider shooting outside.  I'm always agonizing over finding a spot to shoot some post apocalyptic pics that will have a background that contributes to the photos, but is still fairly private.  Because your # 5 is the biggest one for me.

4. Definitely a pain.  Although the fun side of this is a return to childlike abandon, where you just lay in the dirt and stop caring.  

5.  By far, the BIGGEST one for me.  I spend a lot of time trying to get a pose just right, and I simply can't handle focusing on that if I feel like people are watching me.  It makes me crazy self conscious.  I have a decent size backyard, but that's still pretty limited.  My family's house is very private, and way out in the middle of nowhere, but an hour away, which also brings us back to # 2, lugging everything I might possibly need out there, as well as committing most of a day off to that.

So far, my partner has been resistant to my suggestions to just turn the whole back yard into a bunch of 1/6 scale environments.  She seems to think we need to actually "use it" and "entertain" sometimes.  Looks like I won't be building my own Marwencol anytime soon.

23My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 19, 2019 2:15 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:These look great!  The sandbox is the perfect desert environment!  Really fun.  And I do a lot of shooting outside, since it saves me a lot of effort with backgrounds, but I totally share your pain about all the points you mentioned..

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

1. This is always brutal.  Trying to get opportunity and weather to line up can be maddening.  I've had to just wait through the winter, and it's rained here almost every free weekend since spring hit.  And nothing is worse than when you get the perfect pose and shot lined up, and a strong gust of wind knocks everything over.  Maddening.

2. Ditto.  And then keeping track of any accessories that may fall off when a figure falls over...

3.  This is so hard, and one of the main thing I consider shooting outside.  I'm always agonizing over finding a spot to shoot some post apocalyptic pics that will have a background that contributes to the photos, but is still fairly private.  Because your # 5 is the biggest one for me.

4. Definitely a pain.  Although the fun side of this is a return to childlike abandon, where you just lay in the dirt and stop caring.  

5.  By far, the BIGGEST one for me.  I spend a lot of time trying to get a pose just right, and I simply can't handle focusing on that if I feel like people are watching me.  It makes me crazy self conscious.  I have a decent size backyard, but that's still pretty limited.  My family's house is very private, and way out in the middle of nowhere, but an hour away, which also brings us back to # 2, lugging everything I might possibly need out there, as well as committing most of a day off to that.

So far, my partner has been resistant to my suggestions to just turn the whole back yard into a bunch of 1/6 scale environments.  She seems to think we need to actually "use it" and "entertain" sometimes.  Looks like I won't be building my own Marwencol anytime soon.

1. I can totally relate to your pain. The spring weather has almost invariably sucked here in Montreal so far including this weekend which is a long one. To boot, It's very windy around here though there's a large nature park a few miles away that I could find sheltered spots to shoot from. The problems of course are that:

(a. it's s few miles away and I'd have to bring a lot of stuff there and:

(b. It's a public place frequented by cyclists, nature enthusiasts, and worst of all, families.

2. I think I'm going to learn to lug around only what I have to.

3. I think this is a huge problem for everyone. Using wide angle lenses may be part of the answer as they will make background objects look smaller and farther away then they actually are. That still leaves a problem of foreground objects however.

4. I did a lot of this in the army. I'm getting older and heavier however and this gets harder and harder.

5. The last thing I want is a four-year old "helper." The second last thing I want are fully grown adults asking me idiotic questions like:

(a. Are you shooting photos? (an amazingly frequent question I've been asked when very obviously shooting photos in a public place.)

(b. Is there any special reason why you are shooting photos of this? (No, there is nothing whatsoever I do for a reason. I'm really completely random. Why don't you find someone else to pester?)

(c. Nice camera! Does it take good pictures? (Actually it doesn't take any photos at all. I shoot the photos, not the camera. Thanks for asking)

(d. What do you do with the pictures? (The same thing as you do with the ones you shoot.)

As to not getting to build Marwencol in your backyard because your better half says "no," I think you are far from being alone there. On the bright side, think of how few people would even understand the reference outside of a forum like this but that pretty much everyone here does and feels your pain.

24My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Peaches

Peaches
LOL, funny and awesome!

25My first outdoor shoot Empty Re: My first outdoor shoot on Sun May 19, 2019 3:23 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Peaches wrote:LOL, funny and awesome!

Thanks.  I love injecting humor into these.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum