OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

First kit bash

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1First kit bash Empty First kit bash Fri May 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Parabellum

So I have officially completed my first kit bash. Before I go on a long diatribe I would like to thank everyone on here for inspiration and ideas, especially those that have given me a lot of tips and advice, every little tid bit helped.

So I initially got the idea to do another Golgo 13 in battle dress from the previous forum, One Sixth Warriors. A member on there had also done a different version of Golgo 13 (in all black). I love the character and thought it would be really fun to do multiple versions of him based on the different assignments he’s been on throughout his story line. I tried to keep this look fairly retro when it came to the gear and weapons (late 60’s early 70’s). I also didn’t want him to have a ton of stuff as I felt it would take away from his anime look. He’s usually clad with minimal equipment.

The uniform and boots came from DRAGON’s Vietnam line up. The gear and rifle are from ACE’s Mike Force/Force Recon figures and the body is the original made by HOT TOYS.

I didn’t have any problems getting the clothes and gear off/on, just some minor adjustments. I found using a needle nose pair of tweezers worked wonders in getting at the tiny straps and hooks. I did not have to remove the head sculpt for two reasons; the shirt fit over his face and the tie was one piece that I was able to untie. For some reason I never looked at my other figure to see if he had feet or pegs (have no idea why). When I completely undressed him I saw he had pegged feet (I bought “empty” boots). I thought I was going to have some issues with him being able to stand. But when I slid the leg all the way in the pants filled in the excess space making it a very snug fit. He can actually stand up straight without the stand.

So here he is “Battle Dress Golgo 13”. Any criticism is welcome, thanks again everybody. FYI I am doing a scuba version next, just waiting on everything to be delivered.

First kit bash 414e2710
First kit bash C896c910
First kit bash 52c47710

2First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Fri May 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Parabellum

First kit bash 2715af10
First kit bash E481d310

3First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Fri May 17, 2019 5:42 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Congrats on completing him, he looks great! It's always such a good feeling to finally get that look you are going for!

I'm so glad that removing the headsculpt wasn't an issue in the end. And that's handy that the boots worked out ok even without the feet -- that said, if the empty boots ever become an issue and/or you want to do certain poses that don't work otherwise, etc, you can always get some loose feet for him, or switch to boots with pegs, depending on what you prefer.  

Not knowing a ton about the details of the character's different outfits, I can't comment on 'screen accuracy', but I do think that you've captured that 'minimalist' anime style quite well. It's always an interesting balance trying to translate animated characters into something real and tangible like 1/6 figures, and I think you've done a very good job of it. And now you have your own unique Golgo! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Fri May 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Turned out pretty cool. Looks like a good bash. It’s fun, isn’t it, gathering all the parts. Be forewarned, it’s addicting.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

First kit bash C8485110

5First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Fri May 17, 2019 8:28 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I also think the kitbash turned out great. Depending on the boots, you might be able to get away with exactly what you did -- it comes in handy especially for quick or test bashes. I suppose that if you want to make this a permanent look, you might want to invest in a couple of cheap HT-compatible feet (of which there should be plenty on eBay, etc).

6First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Fri May 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Parabellum

Thank you everybody! I’m pretty happy with it. Honestly, this went really well because of your tutoring.

I might eventually get some feet but he stands very solid and it doesn’t appear right now to be an issue.

Yes! This is very addictive! I’m already making plans to do kit bashes representing some of his iconic enemies. I planned on doing more of Golgo but he is just soooooo expensive. I think 3 is enough for now. I just need to do more research on what companies are compatible in regards to the base body.

7First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ooh, good luck with creating the enemies — that should be fun! Very Happy

And I completely understand, I’ve ended up doing several different versions of my fave character(s) as well, and admittedly hope to do several more. Does indeed get pricey though, and it’s definitely a good idea to search around for more affordable parts. : )

8First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Sun May 19, 2019 7:46 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Congratulations. There is nothing in 1/6th modeling that I can think of that can be so satisfying as kit bash. All my figures so far are bashed and creatures of my own imagination. That's a personal thing mind-you and I'm not saying anything is wrong about collecting straight out of the box figures either only for me, it seems more fun to create the figure from the ground up with the elements that I want in it. Good luck in the future and keep up the good work.

9First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Mon May 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Peaches

Peaches
I don't know the context but he has a ton of style! I can see 60's cartoon at a high level in him (meaning realistic cartoon) very cool Smile

10First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Parabellum

Thank you Peaches!

11First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Parabellum

Here is my second completed kit bash of the same character. On this I decided to do a scuba version.

No issues with the figure itself other than a loose knee joint. He couldn’t stand under his own weight so I threw a couple wraps of scotch tape on the joint and it kept the knee from bending. Because the tie loop was a little bigger on this particular one I was able too just pull it over his head.

The dive gear is from Toy City. I bought a dive knife but the straps aren’t long enough to fit around his leg (I’ll figure something out later). The boots and body are HOT TOYS and the weapon is from FURUTA. The weapon he is carrying is called an APS, it is an underwater assault rifle made by the Russians in the 70’s. Basically a semi/fully automatic speargun. It works both in and out of the water. The reason why the rebreather is sitting so low on his chest is because the hoses and mouth piece cover his face when worn correctly. I originally wanted to do a standard scuba tank but there where none to be found.

First kit bash 9e918e10
First kit bash 2bec6010
First kit bash 573f1510

12First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's SO neat! He somehow manages to look very stylish this way, lol. Another excellent job with this one!

Once you have your various 'looks' completed, you should line them all up, along with the original version of the figure, for a group shot. Smile

13First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Turned out great. Nice job.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

First kit bash C8485110

14First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Parabellum

Skywalkersaga, as you requested...
First kit bash Cbde9b10

15First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 5:17 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Awesome! They look great together! cheers

16First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 6:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Just keep him away from sharks... simply because he's lean doesn't mean they won't go for a seal snack. Smile I like the new kitbash and the look at all three of them together.

17First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Parabellum

Hahhahahahaha! Thank you! I’m thinking of somehow changing the number “38” on the rebreather to “13”. Maybe some black tape over the current number and then apply some stickers.

18First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Parabellum wrote:Hahhahahahaha!  Thank you!  I’m thinking of somehow changing the number “38” on the rebreather to “13”.  Maybe some black tape over the current number and then apply some stickers.  

Sometimes black tape (like the black "chalkboard" tape they sell) works remarkably well for reversible alterations.

19First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Parabellum

Great! Thx! Looking at vinyl stick on numbers right now.

20First kit bash Empty Re: First kit bash Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
They do all look great. It's like his back story before he became an agent. Very Cool.
You've been bitten by the Kit bash bug now.

AFM

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum