OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Skippy

Delanie wrote:I must admit I'm tempted I need a male 'lord' character for a scene I want to build and to be honest either of these will do , i'm not really bothered if they look like the actors unfortunately paying the licence is where the added cost comes in

These aren't actually licensed.

In fact Pop Toys have gone out of their way to make the design on Robin's armour different. They changed the lion and griffin to two griffins. Maybe it was to simplify production, since they only had to create one and flip it over to face the other.

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 20079210

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 Pop_to10

But, like you, I'm not that interested in the fact that it's a recognisable actor. I liked the look of the figure regardless that it was the 2010 Robin Hood, and didn't actually want him to represent the character. My interest is a few hundred years later in the fifteenth century, and I wanted him to represent something along these lines:

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 Aginco10

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 15th_c10

shazzdan

Those illustrations not very accurate. I'm guessing that they come from one of the Osprey books. If you want historical accuracy, don't base it on those. The best book is European Armour by Claude Blair.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

Skippy

shazzdan wrote:Those illustrations not very accurate. I'm guessing that they come from one of the Osprey books. If you want historical accuracy, don't base it on those. The best book is European Armour by Claude Blair.

I don't intend to change anything on the figure, and it's close enough for what I want, which is just to put him in a later period.

My first concern was whether the hood was still in use like this in the fifteenth century, as worn by the mounted archer in the Osprey image.

This is a useful resource for contemporary images:

http://www.larsdatter.com/hoods.htm

e.g, 1432:

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 O_le_l10

The armour is laminar style, rather than lamellar, as the plates are laced together overlapped. It's more of a middle eastern/far eastern style, as is the influence of the hilt on the knife. By the fifteenth century rivets would have been taking over from lacing.

As for the boots laced at the sides I don't know.

The figure itself arrived earlier and is really pretty good.

Tailoring and materials are great, and the sculpted parts are sharp in detail.

I consider Hot Toys as a benchmark for sculpts, and Pop Toys is right up there when looking at the details in the skin, the flesh tones and beard painting which picks out the individual hairs. In natural light there's a lot more detail and quality than was apparent in the BBICN review.

The boots have a very good design to allow them to be connected to the legs. Sometimes it can be awkward to push an ankle peg into the slot inside tall boots. Pop Toys have a solution: there a plastic cup over the ankle peg, similar to the cup that holds a neckless sculpt to a neck. This cup then slots easily into the larger hole in the boot without having to put any extra pressure on the boots to marry the two parts. It's the first time I've seen this technique.

The longbow measures just over 10.5", making it 5'3".

There's minimal assembly required. The fabric quiver needs tying to the belt at his back, and the lower belt needs unbuckling to slide the scabbard loop on. Therein lies the only issue with the figure: the loop is only attached to the scabbard at the bottom, and the metal blade is so heavy it makes the scabbard hang outwards. I had exactly the same problem with Kaustic Plastik's Celts.

The simple solution was to glue the loop along its complete length to the scabbard. It now sits snug to the body in spite of the weight of the knife.

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 48598987912_8d7794062f_c

Skippy

These were taken with camera flash which make him look shinier than he actually is, and wash out some of the finer detail and paintwork:

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 48598926371_022ebfdc3a_c

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 48598926446_dc43d843cd_c

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 48599064982_33fd1d810e_c

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 48599065127_ab45e67552_c

The squinting, aiming sculpt is somewhat unusual!

RobinHood - NEW PRODUCT: POPTOYS: 1/6 EX21 Robin Hood Chivalrous Robin Hood - Double Head Carving & War Horse - Page 3 48599065052_c7abafde4a_z

I'm really pleased with the figure. It's tempting to move him from that shelf and have him be Robin Hood, but then I'd be tempted to buy twelfth century figures. silent

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the comments and photos, Asta! Looks quite good. I agree about these POP Toys products and their good quality. In fact, my Jeanne d'Arc (triumph version) just arrived yesterday. Not a very complex set in terms of additional accessories and alternate parts but certainly very nicely put together and an effective combination of materials (metal, plastic, etc.). I think most of the pieces except for some of the torso armor are identical to the charge version next to your Robin Hood. Which leads me to ask -- do you know what the extra lace and leather bits were for (apart from the belt)? Just spares in case something breaks? Also, loved that hood video!

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the comments and photos, Asta! Looks quite good. I agree about these POP Toys products and their good quality. In fact, my Jeanne d'Arc (triumph version) just arrived yesterday. Not a very complex set in terms of additional accessories and alternate parts but certainly very nicely put together and an effective combination of materials (metal, plastic, etc.). I think most of the pieces except for some of the torso armor are identical to the charge version next to your Robin Hood. Which leads me to ask -- do you know what the extra lace and leather bits were for (apart from the belt)? Just spares in case something breaks? Also, loved that hood video!

Yes, those bags were spare straps, rivets and string. They were same with each version, and likely added because buyers in the far east don't expect pleather to last very long.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Asta wrote:Yes, those bags were spare straps, rivets and string. They were same with each version, and likely added because buyers in the far east don't expect pleather to last very long.

Thank you for confirming!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum