OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:49 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Given the recent discussion of the size, proportion, and appearance of Mr. Z horses, here is a short overview of the Hanoverian horse model by Mr. Z. It is a statue available in several variations, namely color: white, brown, dark brown, black, and white-and-grey. The statue comes with reins, stirrups, and a saddle, which I haven't quite sorted out yet, so I will only show it in this promotional image:

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand C0c8cb9f-3743-40e4-81dc-9a930afce5b0

The horse's physical extremities are just over 12 inches (30 cm) long, just under 12 inches (30 cm) tall to the base of the ears, and about 9.5 inches (23 cm) tall right in front of where the saddle would go (this is the spot at which "hand" measurements are taken, as far as I know). The horse's head is turned slightly to its left, and the posture is semi-stationary, with some suggested movement in the legs. The mane and tail hairs are just a little unwieldy, but more futzing should help.

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mzh0110

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mzh0210

I picked the horse both because it has an attractive and fairly generic appearance, and because it is somewhat smaller than other sixth-scale horses which often appear to be oversized for sixth-scale figures. Here he is with one and two riders. I think it works very well, and keep in mind that the angle of the camera (for all that I tried to shoot from close to the ground) does tend to exaggerate the size of what is closer to the top, i.e., the rider(s). In fact, you can probably notice a variation in appearance between different photos among the ones included below.

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mzh0310

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mzh0410

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mzh0510

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Mzh0610

I'm very happy with these horses, and my one regret is that they are not articulated. Now if only TBLeague could do a seamless articulated horse (or any other useful animal, for that matter). Smile

What do you think?

#mrz #horse #hanoverian #statue

2statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks pretty good as far as the overall sculpt of the horse. Mr. Z really are impressive in the details -- the fine "hairs" sculpted into the coat are really impressive to say the least, and it has a nice, long beautiful face -- aside from the slightly shorter stature, this looks very much like one of the horses that we had when I was a kid. Overall, I would say this is a good alternative to the now almost gone and super expensive Yili's which are now priced at nearly $300, when they were about $120 when first announced -- God I HATE eBay scalpers.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand C8485110

3statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:12 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lovely sunset beach ride! Complete with shirtless dude on a horse. ;D 

And thanks for the review and all the pics -- I do think he is a cute horse. I'm not sure if there is any kind of product that could work to 'tame' the mane and tail a bit more, but it looks alright here... just a bit windswept, which is probably appropriate for the scene. 

The only thing I would suggest is to lay the 'forelock', the longer bit of mane that is sticking up at the front, back down between his ears to rest against his forehead. I realize that it probably isn't staying down very well on its own at the moment, but once he has a bridle on you can probably tuck it under the browband.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:53 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks pretty good as far as the overall sculpt of the horse. Mr. Z really are impressive in the details -- the fine "hairs" sculpted into the coat are really impressive to say the least, and it has a nice, long beautiful face -- aside from the slightly shorter stature, this looks very much like one of the horses that we had when I was a kid. Overall, I would say this is a good alternative to the now almost gone and super expensive Yili's which are now priced at nearly $300, when they were about $120 when first announced -- God I HATE eBay scalpers.

I agree, but then again I personally prefer the look of the Hanoverian to the Yili anyway.

skywalkersaga wrote:Lovely sunset beach ride! Complete with shirtless dude on a horse. ;D 

And thanks for the review and all the pics -- I do think he is a cute horse. I'm not sure if there is any kind of product that could work to 'tame' the mane and tail a bit more, but it looks alright here... just a bit windswept, which is probably appropriate for the scene. 

The only thing I would suggest is to lay the 'forelock', the longer bit of mane that is sticking up at the front, back down between his ears to rest against his forehead. I realize that it probably isn't staying down very well on its own at the moment, but once he has a bridle on you can probably tuck it under the browband.

It occurred to me that to complete the cliche a white horse would have been preferable, but I don't have a white Mr. Z Hanoverian. Smile

That is indeed my plan for the forelock of the mane, but it wasn't sitting well on the forehead yet (it might eventually), so I settled for what you see for the purpose of the quick photos.

5statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:58 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:

It occurred to me that to complete the cliche a white horse would have been preferable, but I don't have a white Mr. Z Hanoverian. Smile

That is indeed my plan for the forelock of the mane, but it wasn't sitting well on the forehead yet (it might eventually), so I settled for what you see for the purpose of the quick photos.

Haha! Well it worked regardless. ;D 

And re: the forelock, that's understandable.... and again, it's fine for the more windswept nature of the scene. 

What are your plans regarding tack? are you going to try to use the horse for some historical kitbashes? curious to see what you do with him. Smile

6statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:03 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:What are your plans regarding tack? are you going to try to use the horse for some historical kitbashes? curious to see what you do with him. Smile

Yes, I intend this for Roman, medieval, and maybe fantasy characters. I got the Kaustic Plastik Roman cavalryman, and intend to sculpt a four-horned Roman saddle so that he could ride this horse.

Speaking of horse stature, I remember recently seeing the Gerard Butler Beowulf movie and being struck by how short those horses were (basically generic proportions, but small and longer-haired).

7statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wonderful Pictures ! Thanks for showing. Now we need a extra Thread for to show how You did that fantastic Background Laughing

8statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'm debating whether or not I want to get a dark brown and a white one of these; if I do, hopefully I can find diagrams of the tack from the LOTR -- though if I recall, Shadowfax didn't have any tack, but Brego did.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand C8485110

9statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:What are your plans regarding tack? are you going to try to use the horse for some historical kitbashes? curious to see what you do with him. Smile

Yes, I intend this for Roman, medieval, and maybe fantasy characters. I got the Kaustic Plastik Roman cavalryman, and intend to sculpt a four-horned Roman saddle so that he could ride this horse.

Speaking of horse stature, I remember recently seeing the Gerard Butler Beowulf movie and being struck by how short those horses were (basically generic proportions, but small and longer-haired).

Ah, excellent, can't wait to see! Very Happy 

And oh... yes, I recall that movie from ages ago, and from what I remember, it was filmed in Iceland, which means the horses in question are Icelandic horses. They are descendants of the horses that the Vikings brought over from mainland Scandinavia and the British Isles, and because of strict importation laws, the breed has remained relatively unchanged over the centuries.

10statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Wonderful Pictures ! Thanks for showing. Now we need a extra Thread for to show how You did that fantastic Background Laughing

You are welcome and I'm very happy you liked it. Coming from you, this is a huge compliment. I can't claim much skill with the background -- it is a poster I bought from Hobby Lobby -- and I still can't quite tell whether it is a photo or a realistic painting. My main contribution was finding it, bending the bottom so it could double as the ground surface, and making sure there was no glare or unrealistic shadow when taking the photos.

Stryker2011 wrote:I'm debating whether or not I want to get a dark brown and a white one of these; if I do, hopefully I can find diagrams of the tack from the LOTR -- though if I recall, Shadowfax didn't have any tack, but Brego did.

The dark brown is the one you see here. I already have a couple of white horses, and since they are more unusual and more cliche, I didn't want to get another one in white. The Hanoverians still can be found for relatively reasonable prices -- perhaps you should go for it/them before it's too late. I have been compiling visual sources for the Roman saddle, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I did get some green saddle cloth.

11statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Ah, excellent, can't wait to see! Very Happy 

And oh... yes, I recall that movie from ages ago, and from what I remember, it was filmed in Iceland, which means the horses in question are Icelandic horses. They are the horses that the Vikings brought over with them from mainland Scandinavia, and because of strict importation laws, the breed has remained relatively unchanged over the centuries.

I hope it won't be disappointing. Thank you for explaining/confirming about the Icelandic breed of horses. And thank God for strict importation laws... Smile

12statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:52 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I'm sure you will do it justice! Very Happy

And yes....the importation laws have in fact been in place since the Althing of 982 AD. Importation of other breeds of horses into Iceland continues to be prohibited today because the gene pool has been isolated for so long that the Icelandic horses would now be very susceptible to various diseases.

The laws are so strict that you cannot even wear riding gear or use tack that has been previously used outside of Iceland, unless it is completely disinfected first. And winning an international competition is a bittersweet thing for an owner of an Icelandic horse -- for once it leaves the country, it can never return.

I have had the pleasure of riding these horses many times when I lived in Iceland, many moons ago.... absolutely delightful creatures. <3

13statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:48 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
GubernatorFan wrote:
Ephiane wrote:Wonderful Pictures ! Thanks for showing. Now we need a extra Thread for to show how You did that fantastic Background Laughing

You are welcome and I'm very happy you liked it. Coming from you, this is a huge compliment. I can't claim much skill with the background -- it is a poster I bought from Hobby Lobby -- and I still can't quite tell whether it is a photo or a realistic painting. My main contribution was finding it, bending the bottom so it could double as the ground surface, and making sure there was no glare or unrealistic shadow when taking the photos.

Ahh ! Great Idea. It´s bended, not in a 90 ° Angle. Your background is well choosen and so atmospheric !

Stryker2011 wrote:I'm debating whether or not I want to get a dark brown and a white one of these; if I do, hopefully I can find diagrams of the tack from the LOTR -- though if I recall, Shadowfax didn't have any tack, but Brego did.

Oh, Man, Shadowfax. I watched the scene 100 times, when Gandalf rides into the Garden of Isengard. Before the Orcs ruined it Rolling Eyes . That was the Inspiration for the galopping Wizzard i did.

14statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Ahh ! Great Idea. It's bent, not in a 90 ° Angle. Your background is well chosen and so atmospheric!

Thank you very much! The gradual/natural bending of the background without a crease is a technique I learned from Michael Crawford's reviews, although apparently it has a longstanding tradition in 1:1 backdrops as well. It works well for nature scenes where the background would be more distant (in this case the horizon), provided you have enough foreground included to serve as ground surface -- and finding these for the relatively large 1:6 figures is sometimes a challenge. Most posters with beachside imagery would naturally allot more space to the sea and air than to the sand in the foreground; this had just enough. Similarly with images of forests, where the focus tends to be on the trees, and there isn't always enough of the soil and undergrowth included to work like this. But sometimes there is just enough. Like here, to borrow a photo from one of my other recent reviews:

statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Kpr0110

I think it works less well and less realistically for interior spaces, where you would be better served by real 90 degree angles with separate floor and wall surfaces and where shadows falling on the wall would be realistic and appropriate.

Another challenge is glare -- most posters have a glossy or semi-glossy surface, and that limits the angles at which you can have the light shining on them when taking photos. I find it preferable when possible to find the desired images, prepare them in graphics program to the desired size, and then have them printed out on matte paper (as with the Romans above).

15statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Very nice. I much prefer this to the Yili

16statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Very nice. I much prefer this to the Yili

Glad you like it, too. I thought you might, given its smaller size is more appropriate for ancient horses.

17statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:30 pm

A Man

18statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
A Man wrote:Very nice pictures.  Would you mind telling the designations for the male and female figure riding the horse in the images?

Thank you very much, glad you liked them. I got lucky with the scale of the horse and the background, I suppose. As for the male and female figures, do you mean what I named my characters? At the risk of sounding careless, I don't think I did -- they were just a "shirtless dude" (thanks, Sky!) and a "blonde ingenue" to make a reference to romantic horseback riding photos on a beach. Smile The male head is a "third party" rather blond-ish bearded Chris Evans, so I suppose he is named Chris (I know, not very original). The female head is... I forget, but cute-yet-bland enough to be Super Duck (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Let's call her Susie. So "Chris and Susie riding on the beach, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Smile Well... embracing anyway... Thanks for making me name them! You can find her in a few more photos alongside another named character in this satire thread:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1854-new-superhero-revealed-fire-man-nsfw-updated-with-part-ii-july-2019
(The characters she portrays on the book covers in Part II bear different names, but I suppose they are roles she "plays.")

19statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:07 pm

A Man

20statue - Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Empty Re: Mr Z Hanoverian Horse in Hand Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 pm

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
A Man wrote:So, there was this rainy Sunday in March and I was on my way out the door.  "That is a very clumsy choice of words", I said to myself, looking at the computer screen, but I will post it anyway.  After all, everyone can probably understand what I mean...

Thank you very much for the quick response - and for confirming that yes, that was a clumsy choice of words, and no, everyone can not understand what I meant.

What I was curious about, was the Tbleague designation for those two figures - I could just have asked: Which figures are that?

And giving one's figures names - do people really do that in full seriousness?

Anyway, I had a new photo session with Oksana from Arkhangelsk scheduled today, but I will instead sit down and write "I will formulate my questions better the next time"  100 times.
lol!
A photoshoot is more productive though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum