OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I will freely admit that I know precious little about modern weaponry, and all this is perhaps already well-known to many of you, but here it is all the same. I don't specialize in modern military, though I have bought some military sets and plenty of their parts, uniforms, etc, for various 1/6 uses. Apart from this, customizing a real world weapon to achieve a more film-accurate one for my Sideshow Dengar got me to pick up a 4D Gun Model MG42 model kits (see the Dengar gun thread and below). To improve on my first custom I picked up another two (the model kits are quite affordable), then grabbed a couple of different models -- one of those a M134 minigun for my T-800 terminator.

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns12

The three model kits I am showcasing here are M42, M134, and M1 Super 90. Other models made by 4D include AK47, DSR1, M16A4, M82A1, QBZ-95, M14EBR, ARX-160, HK416, MG62, MSR, FN SCAR, SL8 (some of them misspelled on the promotional images, e.g., AK74 and M14BER or MI4BER).

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns10

The model kits come unpainted, most pieces molded in black plastic, some (representing wood) orange, with some bits and pieces of sprue yet to be cleaned up. I have painted them with Vallejo acrylics, mostly using combinations of gunmetal grey and oily steel for the metal parts and various browns for the wood. Each model kit comes with a basic instruction sheet, which is of variable usefulness, especially for the more complex pieces, such as M134 (the smallness of the images is not very helpful, especially for someone not very knowledgeable about guns). Here is the relevant example:

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns11

The choice of accessories varies, but the munition is made of soft golden-orange rubber (as can be seen in the photos below). The main downside is that this material would be difficult to paint in a more realistic manner. M1 Super 90 has a little basic display stand, allowing you to stand it on its handle. Each of the assembled models has movable parts, as many as four of them on the M42.

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns16

Overall, the models appear to be of good (though not infinitely fine) detail, size, and proportion. Here are a few photos with a random basic military kitbash (I pulled it together in a couple of minutes, it is not intended to represent any particular unit).

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns13

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns14

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns15

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns17

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns 4dguns18

I got mine on eBay, where these sets are available from different sellers (mine was toyparadise2017_9), listed slightly inconsistently.

Overall, I think they provide a reasonably viable and affordable option for 1/6 weapons needs.

What do you think?

#gun #m1super90 #mg42 #m134 #model

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Not bad weaponry, though I don't honestly want to have to paint any of these tiny bits myself. The orange/yellow shells look a little too "toy" like to me, and I wonder if touching them up with some brass-colored paint wouldn't make them look better...

He who dies with the most toys wins!

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Not bad weaponry, though I don't honestly want to have to paint any of these tiny bits myself. The orange/yellow shells look a little too "toy" like to me, and I wonder if touching them up with some brass-colored paint wouldn't make them look better...

There is remarkably little that merits separate painting (other than wooden handles and buttstocks) -- though I purposely went out of my way for some of the screws on the M42 (not completely certain they are supposed to be lighter) with a toothpick. As for the shells, like I said, I'm not sure that rubbery material would take paint or whether it will simply "crawl" off.

shazzdan

shazzdan
I've got lots of these. Considering the low price, the detail is reasonable. The scale is a little off in some of them. Their Walther PPK is way too large, for example.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:I've got lots of these. Considering the low price, the detail is reasonable. The scale is a little off in some of them. Their Walther PPK is way too large, for example.

I only have the three types you see here, so thanks for the heads up.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Modern weapons are not my cup of tea, but i love that chewing tobacco spiting mini gun shooter. Very Happy

Thanks for showing !

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns Blain-10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Modern weapons are not my cup of tea, but i love that chewing tobacco spiting mini gun shooter.  Very Happy Thanks for showing !

gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns Blain-10

You're welcome. Not exactly my specialty either, but they do go with all the uniforms and other military gear I've picked up over the years simply to have stuff for my bodies to wear or hold; like I said, getting some of these particular models started out with finding a suitable gun to modify to match Dengar's from The Empire Strikes Back. But I do find them neat. If you ever decide to recreate the dude from your photo, this M134 would be perfect for you (but I warn you, it was a pain to put together, and there is at least one part with which I just plain guessed). Speaking of which, he reminds me of Steve Howey, but with a mustache. Would have been neat if we had this head sculpt and clothing in 1/6 -- there's plenty more character in this photo than in so much else.

shazzdan

shazzdan
"This stuff will make you a god damn sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Predator comes on TV once or twice a year and every time I sit down to watch it. I think I could just about recite the entire script.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
The MG-42 was one of the main German light/medium machine guns of WWII.  The other was the older and more complicated MG34.  Both weapons were issued at the section (squad) level and up in the German military and could also be found as secondary armament on armored vehicles.  They were notorious for their very high rates of fire, especially the MG 42.  It fired so fast that you couldn't really hear individual shots and sounded more like cloth tearing. This very high rate of fire necessitated and quick and easy way to change barrels in battle as they overheated.  They also required pretty much every man in a German platoon to lug around ammo for the machine guns.

German infantry tactics were by then built entirely around the MG which were expected to do most of the killing on the battlefield and the squads riflemen were mostly there to hump ammo, protect the machine gun, and close for the final assault.  One British infantry officer in fact claimed that from beginning to end, he never saw a German rifleman fire his rifle.  He would let the machine gun do all the work.

When the Bundeswehr was created, the MG 42 was was re chambered in 7.62 NATO caliber and re designated MG-1 or MG-2, while new production models built in 7.62 from the start are designated MG-3.  They are still in service with the Bundeswehr and other armies today though the Germans are gradually replacing them with an entirely new gun, the MG-5.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
I have purchased an embarrassingly large number of these during various sales. I usually grab them when the are 2 for $2 with free shipping. Talk about a loss leader!
Anyway, I have made a a couple attemtps at painting and weathering some.
The M-90 is , in fairness, poorly done. I should go back and fix it.
gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns Img_7616

The M-134s look better in person than the images. I also made a matching set  for a robot I purchased with no arms. I think they will make nice prosthetics! Very Happy
gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns Img_7615
gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns Img_7617
gun - 4D Gun Model / Puzzle Model 1/6 scale guns Img_7618

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad you are liking them, Pontiacivan. And you can paint them over as needed. All mine are very dark, which makes it hard to photograph.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum