OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about Brake fluid and removing paint

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MerylAkiba

Coincidentally, the topic of moving, my Brother and his wife got a house. In the garage my brother found my 21ST Century Navy Tactical vehicle! I was 12 when I bought it. Had to get a summer job, but it paid off.

However, at 12 I really sucked at painting. I wanted a desert yellow, but the hobby store guy at the time gave me a Walmart brand pastel yellow spray can, which I believe is for outdoor furniture. For some reason, the spare tire was painted with blue acrylic? Maybe I was on an X-men theme? I dunno, I guess after several painting fails as a 12 year old, I put the vehicle in the garage. My dad wanted to throw it in the trash, but my brother kept it after all these years.

Now after seeing it I want to restore it. I was watching videos on restoring metal toys, like hot wheels and old Tonka trucks, where the person used brake fluid to get the paint off the car to look really clean and brand new.

My question is will brake fluid work on the plastic of a 21st Century vehicle? Would the plastic corrode, warp, or melt? The paint that I used back then was the 96 cents Walmart spray can and AppleBarrel acrylic paint.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Brake fluid won’t melt the plastic, but it may make the plastic more brittle and easier to snap. However, brake fluid (not be confused with brake cleaner — which will ruin the plastic) also contains a highly toxic alcohol (diethylene glycol) that can kill you. I’d find an alternative method if I were you.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Question about Brake fluid and removing paint C8485110

PitViper

PitViper
Years ago I was faced with a similar issue and found a product called Strip-a-Kit. It works wonders on plastics without damaging them plus it's biodegradable. Look it up. It'll be worth your while.

scalawag

scalawag
I used to build 1/16 RC tanks, and in that hobby I heard of some folks cleaning paint from plastics with oven cleaning products. I don't know if this would work here as it is probably dependant on the type of paint used, but apparently it does not harm plastic so may be worth a try.

Paul

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
You can use acetone free nail varnish remover too that won't damage plastics due to the popularity of acrylic nails I imagine but you'll need to do it outside with a respirator as it's stinky flammable stuff!
P.S. If you use brake fluid make sure it's DOT3 or DOT4 as DOT5 which is designed for H-D's is silicone based so it won't damage their often very expensive paint jobs!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sounds like PitViper's Strip-a-Kit is the safest solution...

Delanie

Delanie
I personally think the model stripping paste is the best but you might find this thread useful:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/t/164010.aspx

Generally these guys know their stuff however, if I was you I'd try what ever method you choose on some hidden or none used part of the vehicle.

I know the oven cleaner in a bag method works on 'Tempo ' print (i think that's what its called) the type of painting/printing used on say keyboard keys or other pre painted models race cars for instance, a friend used to remove the number from slot cars and add his own number

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Delanie wrote:
I know the oven cleaner in a bag method works on 'Tempo ' print (i think that's what its called) the type of painting/printing used on say keyboard keys or other pre painted models race cars for instance, a friend used to remove the number from slot cars and add his own number

LOL, I think you mean tampo from tampography. Did you get my messages about swords? Never heard back from you.

Delanie

Delanie
Yeah that's what I meant , I've had a hard day / week/ month/ 6 months at work so give me a break lol

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Delanie wrote:Yeah that's what I meant , I've had a hard day / week/ month/ 6 months at work so give me a break lol

Sorry Delanie, I was being a smartass and actually know very little about tampography to be honest. And my lack of knowledge/confusion about silkscreen printing got me in trouble years ago on ebay! Embarassed

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
99% Isopropanol alcohol may do the job, also some oven cleaner, like Goo Gone.

Delanie

Delanie
No problem Alex just forgive me next time i'm a smartass too lol

shazzdan

shazzdan
Acetone does soften some plastics but I'm not sure which ones. It turns them into jello.

If the old paintjob is still intact after all this time, it isn't going to flake off now. Why not simply paint over the top? Real-life military vehicles get repainted all the time so it will look realistic.

MerylAkiba

Thanks everyone! I am continuing getting ready for this project and found additional info:

Strip-A-Kit unfortunately is long gone since 2009

Brake fluid Dot 3 works on acrylic, but not enamel as much, and I sprayed-can too much on the hood and the back where it looks like the paint ran really thick. Plus Brake fluid has to be properly disposed, akin to doing an oil change.

This video shows Dot3 at 00:50 and Goof off at 01:30

Acetone tends to melt my plastic pieces the same as graffiti remover

I'm going to try goof off first and if that does not work on the enamel, I'll try Dettol or oven cleaner.

This video is about Dettol

Thank again everyone

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum