OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sand Troopers (pic heavy)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:56 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Hello again, and here is another one of those sort of catch up posts on my collection.

This time it is the 3 Sand Trooper figures I own.

I love stormtroopers!!! there I said it, I love all things Stormtrooper, and perhaps nothing more so than the Sand Troopers from ANH.  I really like their weathered look, the pauldrons and the extra equipment they carry.  So it should be no surprise that I own 3 of these characters.

I have the Hot Toys Sand Trooper Squad Leader, the Sideshow Sergeant and the SideShow Desert Sands Detachment.  The Sideshow figures are from the Militaries of Star Wars series from a number of years ago, and are now becoming harder to find, also meaning that sadly they demand an increasing premium price wise.  The Hot Toys figure is newer and fairly readily available, but of course at Hot Toys prices Rolling Eyes

Stormtroopers will, it seems often draw a lot of discussion about how accurate they are, but I will not be touching on the minutia of how these measure up to their on screen counter parts or really to each other here.  This is more a chance for you to see some of what is available out of the box if you are looking for a Sand Trooper figure.

First up is the Hot Toys Squad Leader.  A very nice figure that comes with a sand textured base, and a surveillance droid.  All the equipment is there that you would expect with a Sand Trooper.  He has T21 light repeating Blaster seen in the pics, an E-11 blaster, a DLT 19 blaster rifle and the binoculars also pictured.  Quite posable as are the other two troopers seen here also, even if the armour is a bit restrictive.  The base has a lovely sand finish but sadly Hot Toys put two foot prints in it which are quite visible if the figures lower half is not posed as per the box art.

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) 8foCAJ3
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) A5u4rUX
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) AjSYQmf
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) 4GXdXyU
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) UFktqDV
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) FjXd7Es
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) EGCja8E
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) VHEhqoz
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) KKZPJLE
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) 1UaLF0t

The SideShow Sand Trooper Sergeant is another nice figure.  This one has all the usual Sand Trooper bits, and comes with the pictured RT-97c blaster rifle and an E-11 as well.  Of course being a Sergeant he has the white pauldron.  Aside from different hands (which all these figures have by the way) that is pretty much it for this one.  The base on this one does no come with the sand cover interestingly, but I was able to find one elsewhere.

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) UloPbKs
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) 8Xj45kJ
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) C7DAkBi
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) 4RMh1ON
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) VJO2rPG
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) YVwWVds
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) CPS8sD4
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) HU40227
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) SYEsvVd

Last of the 3 that I have is the SideShow Desert Sands Detachment figure.  This one has a real arsenal included comprising of E-11, DLT-19, RT-97c and T-21 blasters.  He also comes with they grey pauldron shown and an additional white one.  The stand for this one does come with the sand cover this time and there are long and short options for the vertical pipe shaped object on the back pack.  I would say the is the best equipped of the 3 and gives the most options for achieving different looks.

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) 3g5te2r
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) H57Jj8q
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) W4TDKhn
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) K1jPRyi
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) DMvtfRo
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) B2PB10N
SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) KkxzCyE

And here are all 3 together

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) X0ct4a6

I hope as always this was helpful, and I welcome any comments you may have.

Paul

#starwars #sandtrooper #stormtrooper #ANH #scifi #movie

2SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice details on those troopers. I like these guys much more than the clean versions you see on the Death Star. Theses guys look like they could be real soldiers.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) C8485110

3SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:13 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice details on those troopers. I like these guys much more than the clean versions you see on the Death Star. Theses guys look like they could be real soldiers.

Yeah I agree mate, Ive always liked this more worn look.

Paul

4SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:26 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for posting these notes and detailed photos of the three sandtrooper figures. I don't own any of these sets or their contents (except for the HT binoculars). The closest I have to these are a couple of the different Jedha patrol ones, but they wear "standard" stormtrooper armor. It is not just that I like my stormtroopers on the clean side -- I always figured with enough handling they'll get a worn look anyway -- but you know how I can get about details, and stormtrooper helmets have been hard to get right until recently. The most common or important sticking point has been the relative proportional length of the space above and below the "frown." At least HT got it right (finally), but they reproduced the very specific onscreen look of the sandtrooper who is brainwashed by Ben Kenobi ("these are not the droids you are looking for") in having the brow band arch up at the front of the helmet. I'm pretty sure that was an oversight, and would have been fine with it if it were adjustable, which it is not (correct me if I'm wrong). So, ironically, in this one instance being too faithful to the screen appearance made me stay away from it.

But not owning these makes me appreciate the detailed photography you provide all the more. The weathering is very interesting, in that each of the three differs from the others, and yet all of it works. Similarly with the variety and amount of accessories -- at least for two of the three. As for the limiting footprints on the HT desert stand, remember that footprints remain even after you've stepped off, so placing the feet off the footprint ought to be fine -- the real limitation is the size of the stand. Have you considered making your own little sand area where the three sandtroopers can stand together without individual stands? Although made slightly differently at different times by two different companies, they really do look great as a group.

5SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:25 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you for posting these notes and detailed photos of the three sandtrooper figures. I don't own any of these sets or their contents (except for the HT binoculars). The closest I have to these are a couple of the different Jedha patrol ones, but they wear "standard" stormtrooper armor. It is not just that I like my stormtroopers on the clean side -- I always figured with enough handling they'll get a worn look anyway -- but you know how I can get about details, and stormtrooper helmets have been hard to get right until recently. The most common or important sticking point has been the relative proportional length of the space above and below the "frown." At least HT got it right (finally), but they reproduced the very specific onscreen look of the sandtrooper who is brainwashed by Ben Kenobi ("these are not the droids you are looking  for") in having the brow band arch up at the front of the helmet. I'm pretty sure that was an oversight, and would have been fine with it if it were adjustable, which it is not (correct me if I'm wrong). So, ironically, in this one instance being too faithful to the screen appearance made me stay away from it.

But not owning these makes me appreciate the detailed photography you provide all the more. The weathering is very interesting, in that each of the three differs from the others, and yet all of it works. Similarly with the variety and amount of accessories -- at least for two of the three. As for the limiting footprints on the HT desert stand, remember that footprints remain even after you've stepped off, so placing the feet off the footprint ought to be fine -- the real limitation is the size of the stand. Have you considered making your own little sand area where the three sandtroopers can stand together without individual stands? Although made slightly differently at different times by two different companies, they really do look great as a group.

Yeah the details on Troopers can be a mine field Shocked not just in 1/6 but also in the 1-1 world too as I am finding out at the moment (I'm considering my own set of Trooper armour and joining a Cosplay group Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Laughing )  
Sadly the brow band on the Hot Toys is fixed so not much can be done about it and that look is definitely peculiar to that helmet.  They were all hand assembled and there is some variation from helmet to helmet (I have now seen 3 film used ANH helmets and none are identical to one another) but this one is the only one where the brow strip is positioned as it is.  The thing I dislike most on this helmet is that there is a quite obvious join where the piece under the frown is a separate moulding on the Hot Toys.  It would have been ok if they had made it a better fit, but it does look like a fairly obvious join and the face of the actual helmets are all one piece which the SideShow achieves better.

I too am surprised at how well the weathering blends together on these three as they are all weathered quite differently from each other, but it does all seem to work.  I was worried about the weathering on the Sergeant when I got him as it is darker than the other two by quite a bit, but it does still seem to work.

I have thought about a sand base for these three and I think the War gaming mats I use with my DAK dioramas would work well.  The backgrounds would work well too if they had a lot less vegetation on them.  I might well see what I can do with all this in the future.

Glad you like them

Paul

6SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
I prefer the Sandtrooper over the standard model as well.
When I went to see Star Wars for the first time, I had to take my little brother to the rest room and never saw the Dewback scene. I always wondered about the merchandising of the toy, nobody ever talked about it being a real thing from the movie. Since I had saved a long time just to go that one time, I did not get to see it again until VHS became a household item. I was thrilled! Not only were Sandtroopers cool, they had a sweet ride as well!
Great figures! The weathering is perfect!

7SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:01 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Pontiacivan wrote:I prefer the Sandtrooper over the standard model as well.
When I went to see Star Wars for the first time, I had to take my little brother to the rest room and never saw the Dewback scene. I always wondered about the merchandising of the toy, nobody ever talked about it being a real thing from the movie. Since I had saved a long time just to go that one time, I did not get to see it again until VHS became a household item. I was thrilled! Not only were Sandtroopers cool, they had a sweet ride as well!
Great figures! The weathering is perfect!

Cheers mate,

I'm pleased you like these.

Sand Troopers really rock it for me too.

I gather while the original film was being filmed they couldn't get the Dewback mechanicals to work properly, and so in the original theatre version of the film it is only seen in the shot where it is away in the distance on a dune. But for the later editions of the film it was added into additional scenes. It is a great ride for the Sand trooper though.
I remember and I think I still have a VHS set of the Original Trilogy somewhere, but now watching in HD on downloads lol. I watched the OT again yesterday Rolling Eyes

Paul

8SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:Yeah the details on Troopers can be a mine field Shocked not just in 1/6 but also in the 1-1 world too as I am finding out at the moment (I'm considering my own set of Trooper armour and joining a Cosplay group Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Laughing )  

This would be interesting to see. I know it’s not 1/6, but I can admire the hard work and dedication that I’ve seen people putting into cosplay outfits. Some of them are so elaborate and well done, you’d think they were actual film costumes. I know some people find it silly for grown ups to dress up in costumes, but I look at the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into doing that stuff as the same thing customizers in our hobby are doing.
I haven’t done cosplaying as an adult, but as a kid (when it used to just be called “playing”, or “dress-up”), I was always in costume/character. One of my favorites, was to run around in a tattered brown sheet (and nothing else) with my hair slicked back as Taylor from Planet of the Apes. My friends and I would recreate The Hunt scene while running through the neighbor’s cornfield. Just within the past week I ordered a comic book special from Dynamite Comics that was nothing but a photographic compilation of a group of lovely ladies highlighting their Red Sonja and Vampirella costumes that they’ve worn at conventions. The craftsmanship on their outfits was astounding (particularly the Sonjas) (course it didn’t hurt that all the ladies were easy on the eyes).
Anyway, if you ever get around to having your own Stormie Armour, please share some pics.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) C8485110

9SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:54 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Stryker2011 wrote:
scalawag wrote:Yeah the details on Troopers can be a mine field Shocked not just in 1/6 but also in the 1-1 world too as I am finding out at the moment (I'm considering my own set of Trooper armour and joining a Cosplay group Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Laughing )  

This would be interesting to see. I know it’s not 1/6, but I can admire the hard work and dedication that I’ve seen people putting into cosplay outfits. Some of them are so elaborate and well done, you’d think they were actual film costumes. I know some people find it silly for grown ups to dress up in costumes, but I look at the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into doing that stuff as the same thing customizers in our hobby are doing.
I haven’t done cosplaying as an adult, but as a kid (when it used to just be called “playing”, or “dress-up”), I was always in costume/character. One of my favorites, was to run around in a tattered brown sheet (and nothing else) with my hair slicked back as Taylor from Planet of the Apes. My friends and I would recreate The Hunt scene while running through the neighbor’s cornfield. Just within the past week I ordered a comic book special from Dynamite Comics that was nothing but a photographic compilation of a group of lovely ladies highlighting their Red Sonja and Vampirella costumes that they’ve worn at conventions. The craftsmanship on their outfits was astounding (particularly the Sonjas) (course it didn’t hurt that all the ladies were easy on the eyes).
Anyway, if you ever get around to having your own Stormie Armour, please share some pics.

I will do mate, after running it past GubenatorFan first of course. I would not want to take the forum off course.

Perhaps we could have a "show us your 1-1 character costume" thread or something just for those interested.

I already have a few prop replicas, and I used to be an American Civil War re-enactor till I quit nearly 18 years ago (is it really that long, i'm getting old) so not new to dressing up. I am not sure the Cos Play thing will happen yet, but it is something I am seriously looking at. Its taken a time to find a group here in the UK who are not bogged down in costuming rules and regs lol. I don't mind things needing to be accurate, but I wouldn't get on that well with being told what they think is accurate lol.
I am waiting for a more fun group I have found to get back to me and I can go with them to events before I invest in a suit to see if I like it or not.

Paul

10SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:I will do mate, after running it past GubenatorFan first of course.  I would not want to take the forum off course.

If nothing else, you can show off your 1:1 stormtrooper armor while holding a 1:6 stormtrooper in the same pose in your hand, while he is holding a 3.75" stormtrooper in his hand. And that would be not only impeccably appropriate, it would be art. Smile

11SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:21 pm

scalawag

scalawag
GubernatorFan wrote:
scalawag wrote:I will do mate, after running it past GubenatorFan first of course.  I would not want to take the forum off course.

If nothing else, you can show off your 1:1 stormtrooper armor while holding a 1:6 stormtrooper in the same pose in your hand, while he is holding a 3.75" stormtrooper in his hand. And that would be not only impeccably appropriate, it would be art. Smile

O love it. Thats a definite if I do get a set of Armour Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

12SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:42 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think given the above discussion now you have to get a set of armor (you already have the helmet anyway). Talk to shovelchop -- I think I saw a 1:1 stormtrooper in his collection.

13SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:39 am

scalawag

scalawag
We shall see, its a big purchase for me as I would have to get something fairly accurate, and I would have to have at least a semi regular use for it to be able to justify it.  I do have a nice helmet already, although I may not want to use that particular one as part of a costume, and my Black series stormtrooper helmet is nice but not really one for trooping in.  Some of the deals I am looking at come with helmets anyway.  I also have an E-11 blaster already so won't need to get that lol.  I will just have to see how the funding works out.

Paul

14SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
On the whole, all 3 are nice figures.

However, I've never felt that HT or SSC ever got the helmets exactly right. There's just something off about the shape. The lenses look off as does the length of the face.

To me, the Bandai did it better. Of course the absolute best are the 1/1 Shepperton helmets as they are made by the guy that made them for the movie. I've always felt that the Bandai was closest to them.

Bandai:

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) U7mOOIu

Shepperton:

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) R9Ixlh6

CHEERS!

15SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 am

scalawag

scalawag
Yeah I don't think there is a really good 1/6 helmet sculpt, but I'm not going to go to that particular discussion right now.  There are as many opinions on that as there are Star Wars collectors Laughing Laughing Laughing

The Shepperton Original Stormtrooper 1-1 gear is very nice indeed, and that is where I am looking at getting my armour from if I do get a set.

This is my Shepperton Design Studios ANH Stunt Helmet in all its asymmetrical beauty. Very Happy Very Happy Useful as a reference piece for the look of all the 1/6 ANH stormtrooper helmet sculpts.

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Nabtkcr

Paul

16SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:35 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Ace Cosplay on YouTube is very useful for reference, she has several sets of armour, including the Shepperton. Her videos finally convinced me to get the Bandai kit and I've never regretted it. I did a great opening to my Bandai Stormie thread on OSW about perceptions of scale, I'm hoping you read it as I can't remember much of it now, LOL!

CHEERS!

17SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm

scalawag

scalawag
Rogerbee wrote:Ace Cosplay on YouTube is very useful for reference, she has several sets of armour, including the Shepperton. Her videos finally convinced me to get the Bandai kit and I've never regretted it. I did a great opening to my Bandai Stormie thread on OSW about perceptions of scale, I'm hoping you read it as I can't remember much of it now, LOL!

CHEERS!

Lol yeah I think I remember some of it mate.

Its Ace Cosplays group (Imperial Outlanders) that I am thinking of joining so I have seen most of her videos now.

Some great references on there for imperial gear. Here is a link to her channel for those that might be interested in taking a look or are wondering what Rogerbee and I are talking about lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3t53gFmHhrDNszgcF-5Sw

Paul

18SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Without getting into the detailed discussion again, by itself the Bandai 1/6 helmet is pretty nice and conveys the more vertical shape of the original trilogy helmets, except for its lenses being a little too elongated and pointy. On the figure, however, it is a little too large. I will say that Roger's photo in post 14 does make it look about right.

In terms of overall look and size, I find the Hot Toys Rogue One Stormtrooper helmets and the Hasbro 12" Stormtrooper helmets preferable. Yes, they are based on the modern symmetrical and possibly slightly squatter helmets from Rogue One, but they have correctly shaped lenses (though they differ from each other: they are larger on HT, smaller on Hasbro) and they are about the right size on the figures. For more affordable 1/6 scale Stormtroopers, I recommend making a hybrid out of the Bandai and Hasbro versions.

SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Bhstor10

19SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:

Lol yeah I think I remember some of it mate.

Its Ace Cosplays group (Imperial Outlanders) that I am thinking of joining so I have seen most of her videos now.  

Some great references on there for imperial gear.  Here is a link to her channel for those that might be interested in taking a look or are wondering what Rogerbee and I are talking about lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3t53gFmHhrDNszgcF-5Sw

Paul

You should definitely join that, she looks to have a ball at those events.

CHEERS!

20SciFi - Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Empty Re: Sand Troopers (pic heavy) Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:58 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Without getting into the detailed discussion again, by itself the Bandai 1/6 helmet is pretty nice and conveys the more vertical shape of the original trilogy helmets, except for its lenses being a little too elongated and pointy. On the figure, however, it is a little too large. I will say that Roger's photo in post 14 does make it look about right.

In terms of overall look and size, I find the Hot Toys Rogue One Stormtrooper helmets and the Hasbro 12" Stormtrooper helmets preferable. Yes, they are based on the modern symmetrical and possibly slightly squatter helmets from Rogue One, but they have correctly shaped lenses (though they differ from each other: they are larger on HT, smaller on Hasbro) and they are about the right size on the figures. For more affordable 1/6 scale Stormtroopers, I recommend making a hybrid out of the Bandai and Hasbro versions.

The size is the main issue that I have with all other helmets, there just doesn't look to be room for a human head under there. HT scale, which everyone thinks is definitively 1/6, isn't. Bandai have done a proper scale model, blueprinted and everything, which, to me, is 1/6. 12" figures, like older Hasbro, are more like 1/5.

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum