OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update: for the new Kaustic Plastik Conan Masterclass set, see HERE.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt010

Introduction
It seems like this is ancient/fantasy action figure review week, what with the Rome Imperial Army Legionary (HERE) and Centurion (HERE) figure reviews posted earlier, and now my Conan the Barbarian set from Mr Toys finally arrived yesterday. As a fan, it was not something I could easily pass up, although I already own the two fantasy barbarian warrior sets from Kaustic Plastik and was also going to pick up Kaustic Plastik's new Conan set, which is essentially an upgrade on their previous work and a variation of the Mr Toys set. In fact, Mr Toys seems to have redone a version of Kaustic Plastik's old sets with a selection of the items and some new additions, basically trying to replicate Conan's iconic look from Conan the Destroyer (by far the worse of the two Conan Arnold Schwarzenegger films, in my book). The Mr Toys set is available in two variants, one without (A) and one with (B) the TBLeague (Phicen) M35 seamless action figure body. Since I had M35 bodies to spare, I ordered the smaller, less expensive set A. Because this is not a complete action figure set, I am going to simplify the review and not assign point values, while providing as many images as usual. For the M35 body itself, you can check out my detailed review and a zillion images HERE.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt111

Packaging
The set I ordered (without the M35 body) comes in a tidy black rectangular cardboard box with a slip-on cover showing off the product, the Mr Toys logo, and product number. Inside the box there are two black foam treys (always appreciated) with the various items that come in the set stored safely and easy to access. Nothing mind-blowing but certainly neat and collector-friendly.
mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt011

Sculpting
This category includes a number of items, but of course the most focal one is the head sculpt. Mr Toys appears to have used a head sculpt of Arnold Schwarzenegger that seems just a little more youthful than what we usually see, and is therefore appropriate for the film-based character; nevertheless, it features a sufficiently stern expression. This is the first "real" hair Conan head sculpt we have gotten, and that is a big plus in my book. The sculpting on the head appears to be of excellent quality. It is also very well done on the remainder of the sculpted elements: from the soft plastic headband with its ornaments, to the two pendants, to the ornamented over belt, the utilitarian dagger, and the ornately decorated sword. This category leaves nothing to be desired, and although many of the pieces appear to have been copied directly from the old Kaustic Plastik sets, there are also improvements -- including quality (especially durability -- nothing fell apart as I was handling it), the "real" hair head sculpt, the removable head band, the teeth added to one of the necklaces (although they actually go with another pendant that Kaustic Plastike had not yet produced and was therefore substituted with one that they had made, but didn't go with the teeth).

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt113

Paint
In terms of quality, the paint work appears to be excellent. The face looks realistic, the eyes are precisely painted and glossy, the metallic elements -- whether actual metal or painted plastic -- are convincing and precisely executed. Accuracy is a slightly different matter: for example, parts of the sword should have been given a gold or bronze coloring, but like the old Kaustic Plastik set we get the same clean steel look; the leather strings wound round the boots and fur leggins should have been black. There is little in the way of weathering here, except perhaps on the dagger, the buckle on the back of the ornate belt, and the metal pendant. More weathering would have lent the figure's appearance added realism.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt112

Articulation
Technically, since my set was the version that came without a body, there is none; the recommended M35 body (HERE, although M34 would probably work just as well) has pretty much all the articulation you could possibly expect and the rather skimpy outfit does not get in the way much. The boots allow for excellent ankle articulation, making wide stances easy to achieve. It is great that the boots include feet (or perhaps they are integral to them), and these fit well onto the TBLeague body. Nevertheless, the stainless steel plus silicone body is heavy and with a high center of gravity, meaning it is not going to be overly steady on its ankles. Take precautions against the figure toppling over, and perhaps stuff something in to tighten the fit of the ankle peg into the hole inside the boot.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt110

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt016

Accessories
The set includes the following accessories: the metal pendant on a string with four teeth or fangs (inaccurate, both because of their placement and because they were paired with a different, golden sun pendant that is not provided here); the green stone snake cult pendant; the decorated battle (?) headgear with "noseguard", which is tied with string at the back of the head; the dagger which fits into a sheath attached to the belt (it fits well, but perhaps a little too high); the long sword which comes with its own sheath with imprinted design and has a couple of hooks on its back, allowing it to hang from either the decorated belt (again, rather too high) or to attach to a leather-like belt that goes across the chest and back and is buckled on the front. There are several other items, but I am keeping covering them under Outfit below. The accessories are of high quality in terms of durability and execution, but again not always entirely accurate (most notably the pendant paired with the teeth/fangs necklace or the lack of gold treatment on the decoration of the sword).

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt012

Outfit
The outfit is minimal, but that is the look we saw on screen for most of Conan the Destroyer. There is a furry (wolf- or bear-skin?) kilt, held in place by leather thongs (called "leather pants" in the product description), over which goes the wide belt decorated with "metal" strips and a dragon crest in the middle; all this is very well executed. The lower arms are protected by a couple of vambraces. On the right lower arm there is a brown leather vambrace with gold- or bronze-colored round studs (which represents the much more numerous and more closely set spikes in the film -- the simplification is carried over the old Kaustic Plastik set). On the left lower arm there is a black leather vambrace with thongs, held together by velcro (I'm not sure it should have been quite black as opposed to dark brown, except perhaps for the thongs wound over it; and it should have been made a little wider to allow a more comfortable fit). Finally, there are the brown leather boots with grey fur trim on the top, and brown leather straps (should have been black or much darker brown leather) wound around both boot and trim. These constantly move out of place and require some futzing to get halfway right; nevertheless they do not fall apart like those in the original Kaustic Plastik set, which is a relief.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt017

Fun Factor
The absence of other character from the Conan films does not help, but nevertheless, the fairly complete outfit and accessories makes this a fun set. This is augmented by the excellent articulation potential and by the quality and durability of the items included in the set. Still, not something you would want careless children to mess around with.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt013

Value
The set I bought, without the M35 body included, retails for anywhere between around $85 and $100 (USD), often with shipping included, if you're buying on eBay from China. This is not exactly cheap, but it is not horrendously more than the price of the old Kaustic Plastik sets from years back, partly reprized by Mr Toys. If you are buying the set with the M35 body included, the price jumps to closer to $180, but that includes the $80+ for the body. Overall, the price is not inconsiderable, but also not horribly exaggerated compared to earlier and similar practice. But of course if you are buying multiples, or also looking forward to picking up Mr Toys' He-Man set and Kaustic Plastik's new and improved Conan set, the costs will add up.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt018

Things to watch out for
If you are treating the figure with the usual amount of care appropriate for high-end collectibles of this type, there should be little or nothing to worry about. As I mentioned, the figure can be a bit top-heavy and lose its balance, so take precautions about that. I do worry that the little round metallic studs on the leather vambrace on the right hand might fall off, as they did with the Kaustic Plastik version, but on the whole the quality seems to be better, so perhaps it should less of a concern.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt014

Overall
All told, this is a very good set. It is not perfect (occasional mistakes with the pairing and painting of accessories, etc), but it is fairly complete as far as what we can associate with this look of the character, and it is durable and beautifully executed. Don't get me wrong: I love the old Kaustic Plastik stuff, and between their two sets, you do get more than you get here; however, I am weary and wary of everything I touch coming apart in my hands, and Mr Toys' set is like a breadth of fresh air in that respect. Moreover, with the new head sculpt, the "real" hair, and the removable headband, we get some real and unprecedented improvements in terms of the selection, functionality, and appearance of the items making up the set. I am very pleased overall, and I think most others who go for this set will be too. One should note that it looks like the new Kaustic Plastik set will correct some of their earlier mistakes and omissions (including some carried over into the Mr Toys set) -- but the new Kaustic Plastik set is much more expensive, does not include a body, and features a beautiful but one-piece sculpted head (the hair and headband are part of the head sculpt).

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt015

Where to buy?
This is a tough one. Most outfits carrying these here in the States have long sold out their pre-orders, although it is to be expected that they might get some additional sets. I don't like to pre-order, but when I saw so many venues sold out, bit the bullet and pre-ordered from GianToy (you can do so directly or via eBay). If you want one and haven't pre-ordered it, check where you would usually check (just in case), or look on eBay.

For comparison purposes, here are a couple of photos of this set alongside my custom Conan the Barbarian (also based on the appearance in Conan the Destroyer) and the much more loosely-inspired "Conanesque" figure.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt114

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conmt115

I hope you found this useful. What do you think?

Update: for the new Kaustic Plastik Conan Masterclass set, see HERE.

#conan #barbarian #arnold #schwarzenegger #mrtoys #film #fiction #fantasy #warrior #male #productreview #review

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks so much for this! I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. As you say, it's not perfect, but it's pretty good for what it is. Some of the pics I had seen of the HS had me worried that there wasn't enough Arnie likeness there, but seeing your photos as well as the comparison pics at the end make me feel a lot better about it. The synthetic hair likewise had me concerned, as that can look kinda goofy if not done right, but this seems ok. You also convinced me to get the M35 for it, just for simplicity's sake, since it seems to have been created specifically for it. And while I'm personally less bothered by the on-screen inaccuracy details, I will nonetheless bear those in mind as I'm assembling this one. I'll probably also try to add a little weathering to it as well, when I get a chance. 

I've ordered this set, and it should arrive shortly -- but how soon I'll actually have the time to put it together, not to mention create a suitable stand for it to make it presentable enough as a gift for the hubs, is another question. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good review. This is a pretty good set for another knock off, and much better for the head than the earlier Kaustic sets. If I have one suggestion... you should darken his nips; he looks like someone’s been twisting his — they’re a little bright. (No offense) Wink

He who dies with the most toys wins!

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks so much for this! I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. As you say, it's not perfect, but it's pretty good for what it is. Some of the pics I had seen of the HS had me worried that there wasn't enough Arnie likeness there, but seeing your photos as well as the comparison pics at the end make me feel a lot better about it. The synthetic hair likewise had me concerned, as that can look kinda goofy if not done right, but this seems ok. You also convinced me to get the M35 for it, just for simplicity's sake, since it seems to have been created specifically for it. And while I'm personally less bothered by the on-screen inaccuracy details, I will nonetheless bear those in mind as I'm assembling this one. I'll probably also try to add a little weathering to it as well, when I get a chance. 

I've ordered this set, and it should arrive shortly -- but how soon I'll actually have the time to put it together, not to mention create a suitable stand for it to make it presentable enough as a gift for the hubs, is another question. ;p

You're very welcome. I, too was happier with it than I thought I would be. I don't know what you have in mind, but there are perfectly adequate generic HT-type black stands to be had for very little on eBay. I hope you (and the hubster) like it when it arrives.

Stryker2011 wrote:Good review. This is a pretty good set for another knock off, and much better for the head than the earlier Kaustic sets. If I have one suggestion... you should darken his nips; he looks like someone’s been twisting his — they’re a little bright. (No offense) Wink

Thank you very much. As for darkening the nips, it's kinda tough -- I am limited by the available pastels, and I need them lighter than the area immediately around them. See HERE and HERE. But I'll think of it next time I take them out.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah, yeah , the black stands will probably suffice — I was just trying to be ‘extra’ and make some kind of nice diorama display base for it. But I’ll have to see.

And re; the nipples .... maybe the issue is that the ‘real’ Conan has quite a dark tan even compared to the male tbleague bodies? ;p

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Ah, yeah , the black stands will probably suffice — I was just trying to be ‘extra’ and make some kind of nice diorama display base for it. But I’ll have to see.

And re; the nipples .... maybe the issue is that the ‘real’ Conan has quite a dark tan even compared to the male tbleague bodies? ;p

Well I suppose you could pick up a black stand and spend a few hours gluing (with what? I suppose Gorilla superglue would make sense but I know how you feel about it) sand and little rocks to it, to make it look nice. You would need to convey the a pale to medium sandy/rocky terrain, to judge by the film locations used in the Conan movies.

Yes, it does occur to me that Conan on film is a bit more tanned than the TBLeague bodies (which are actually not particular pale in the male variety -- except for M30).

Ovy

Ovy
Now that's metal! Arnie looking better and better as the years pass

I'd like to see a stealth-commando-orgy-scene/James-Earl-Jones-turning-into-a-giant-lizard-cameo-paint-Arnie one day.

Or an Arnie screaming expression head sculpt.mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review Conan-arnie

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Now that's metal! Arnie looking better and better as the years pass

I'd like to see a stealth-commando-orgy-scene/James-Earl-Jones-turning-into-a-giant-lizard-cameo-paint-Arnie one day. Or an Arnie screaming expression head sculpt.

Thank you. I think someone (Calvin Lo?) did a "camo" body-painted Conan custom figure (if Calvin, it was one among many many awesome customs). I do prefer the more iconic looks, but for me these include the horned helmet one from your photo. I wish I could put together a nice one like that, though it was very loosely the inspiration for my horned-helmeted "Conanesque" figure. The yelling face would be great for a head sculpt, ideally alongside a more neutral one matching it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ooh, I think I’ve seen that ‘camo’ Conan , or at least one like it... very nice!

Re: the stand — yeah, putting something together should be pretty straightforward, the only real issue/obstacle is the fact that all my craft supplies are still packed away and buried under a mountain of other boxes. Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Re: the stand — yeah, putting something together should be pretty straightforward, the only real issue/obstacle is the fact that all my craft supplies are still packed away and buried under a mountain of other boxes. Razz

Welcome to my life! Smile Actually it has been 8 months (time flies), and I have unpacked a lot -- and yet there is always something that still fits best packed away in a box, inevitably under 4 or 5 other boxes, and that's if you even know where it is.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Ovy wrote:Now that's metal! Arnie looking better and better as the years pass

I'd like to see a stealth-commando-orgy-scene/James-Earl-Jones-turning-into-a-giant-lizard-cameo-paint-Arnie one day. Or an Arnie screaming expression head sculpt.

Thank you. I think someone (Calvin Lo?) did a "camo" body-painted Conan custom figure (if Calvin, it was one among many many awesome customs). I do prefer the more iconic looks, but for me these include the horned helmet one from your photo. I wish I could put together a nice one like that, though it was very loosely the inspiration for my horned-helmeted "Conanesque" figure. The yelling face would be great for a head sculpt, ideally alongside a more neutral one matching it.

It was indeed, Calvin that did the Camo Conan:

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review C210

He who dies with the most toys wins!

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
They look great!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yes, that's the one, thanks for confirming and digging it up, Mark! He does awesome work -- although in this particular subject I know enough to spot some minor departures compared to what we see on screen, the effect is still glorious.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Disappointingly, I have just been informed by the seller I purchased this set from that the 'release date' has now been pushed back to either October or even early 2020 [!!] for these. I am obviously extremely confused because they were already available at GianToy as well as a few other vendors. They seem to have sold out/oversold these in a lot of places, and are now taking 'pre-orders'....whatever that means.

I'm just ... confused

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Disappointingly, I have just been informed by the seller I purchased this set from that the 'release date' has now been pushed back to either October or even early 2020 [!!] for these. I am obviously extremely confused because they were already available at GianToy as well as a few other vendors. They seem to have sold out/oversold these in a lot of places, and are now taking 'pre-orders'....whatever that means.

That is very annoying. But apparently it does happen, sometimes because different versions of a figure perhaps don't come out at the same time (I've just learned my triumph version Jeanne d'Arc has shipped, whereas people have had their non-triumph version for months), sometimes because of slow supply or the need to resupply. If you have an easy no-cost option to cancel your order and order from GianToy, you might want to do that; otherwise hang in there. By the way, the Kaustic Plastik version (with the molded hair) has recently become available -- I picked up a couple of parted out pieces on eBay and just got a shipment notification on my pre-ordered set.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
That is very annoying. But apparently it does happen, sometimes because different versions of a figure perhaps don't come out at the same time (I've just learned my triumph version Jeanne d'Arc has shipped, whereas people have had their non-triumph version for months), sometimes because of slow supply or the need to resupply. If you have an easy no-cost option to cancel your order and order from GianToy, you might want to do that; otherwise hang in there. By the way, the Kaustic Plastik version (with the molded hair) has recently become available -- I picked up a couple of parted out pieces on eBay and just got a shipment notification on my pre-ordered set.

Good to know that it happens sometimes. But still, very frustrating. I have tried to look for it on GianToy but they seem to be sold out there?? Or it's not showing up for me anymore on their site?? I would have ordered it from there in the first place, but I guess I left it too long and missed out. :/

And ha, you are probably the person who beat me to those parted out Kaustic Plastik pieces! Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Good to know that it happens sometimes. But still, very frustrating. I have tried to look for it on GianToy but they seem to be sold out there?? Or it's not showing up for me anymore on their site?? I would have ordered it from there in the first place, but I guess I left it too long and missed out. :/  And ha, you are probably the person who beat me to those parted out Kaustic Plastik pieces! Laughing

Doubtful, unless we happened to look at the same eBay seller. I bought the star/sun pendant, I think they have more left. For example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaustic-Plastik-MC01-1-6-Barbarian-Conan-Arno-Pendant-Fit-TBLeague-M34-35-Body/143348196446?hash=item216037e45e:g:kHwAAOSw-q9dR9aw

Here are a couple of eBay stores that seem to have the Mr Toys set in stock and have good ratings (from the description, they seem to be the complete sets except for the body, which you can pick up separately, unless you have one already) :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barbarian-Conan-Headsculpt-1-6-Scale-Figure-Accessory-by-MR-Toys-MT02A-IN-STOCK/303252723106?hash=item469b4555a2:g:C~4AAOSwlHJdKMtl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MR-TOYS-MT2018-02-1-6-Conan-the-barbarian-Head-Clothes-For-12-Figure-INSTOCK/173966351237?hash=item288133db85:g:DN8AAOSwNC5dLX00

Hope this helps -- or you can always wait on the place where you pre-ordered.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It might have been that seller... I can't remember for sure now. But there was one of the KP swords w/ scabbards that I was looking at that went pretty quickly. ;p

Thank you for those links... they did not show up in my searches, for some reason. I'm still kind of on the fence about keeping my original pre order for the 'second batch', but then I wonder... are there differences between the batches? It's so confusing..

I'll try not to hesitate too long though, as that is always what makes me miss out on these things... Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:It might have been that seller... I can't remember for sure now. But there was one of the KP swords w/ scabbards that I was looking at that went pretty quickly. ;p

Thank you for those links... they did not show up in my searches, for some reason. I'm still kind of on the fence about keeping my original pre order for the 'second batch', but then I wonder... are there differences between the batches? It's so confusing..

I'll try not to hesitate too long though, as that is always what makes me miss out on these things... Razz

Oh, I purchased no parted-out swords and scabbards. The batches are probably all the same. I'm just providing the links in case you can cancel your prep-order and don't want to wait. Do realize that the set is being sold in two versions: with or without the body (but that would be reflected in the price). The links I provided were both for the set without the body.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:

Oh, I purchased no parted-out swords and scabbards. The batches are probably all the same. I'm just providing the links in case you can cancel your prep-order and don't want to wait. Do realize that the set is being sold in two versions: with or without the body (but that would be reflected in the price). The links I provided were both for the set without the body.

Yeah, thank you, understood! Very Happy

And no worries, I was really just poking fun at myself .... my self-deprecating sense of humour doesn't always come across online... Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum