OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Good to know that it happens sometimes. But still, very frustrating. I have tried to look for it on GianToy but they seem to be sold out there?? Or it's not showing up for me anymore on their site?? I would have ordered it from there in the first place, but I guess I left it too long and missed out. :/  And ha, you are probably the person who beat me to those parted out Kaustic Plastik pieces! Laughing

Doubtful, unless we happened to look at the same eBay seller. I bought the star/sun pendant, I think they have more left. For example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaustic-Plastik-MC01-1-6-Barbarian-Conan-Arno-Pendant-Fit-TBLeague-M34-35-Body/143348196446?hash=item216037e45e:g:kHwAAOSw-q9dR9aw

Here are a couple of eBay stores that seem to have the Mr Toys set in stock and have good ratings (from the description, they seem to be the complete sets except for the body, which you can pick up separately, unless you have one already) :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barbarian-Conan-Headsculpt-1-6-Scale-Figure-Accessory-by-MR-Toys-MT02A-IN-STOCK/303252723106?hash=item469b4555a2:g:C~4AAOSwlHJdKMtl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MR-TOYS-MT2018-02-1-6-Conan-the-barbarian-Head-Clothes-For-12-Figure-INSTOCK/173966351237?hash=item288133db85:g:DN8AAOSwNC5dLX00

Hope this helps -- or you can always wait on the place where you pre-ordered.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

skywalkersaga

It might have been that seller... I can't remember for sure now. But there was one of the KP swords w/ scabbards that I was looking at that went pretty quickly. ;p

Thank you for those links... they did not show up in my searches, for some reason. I'm still kind of on the fence about keeping my original pre order for the 'second batch', but then I wonder... are there differences between the batches? It's so confusing..

I'll try not to hesitate too long though, as that is always what makes me miss out on these things... Razz

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:It might have been that seller... I can't remember for sure now. But there was one of the KP swords w/ scabbards that I was looking at that went pretty quickly. ;p

Thank you for those links... they did not show up in my searches, for some reason. I'm still kind of on the fence about keeping my original pre order for the 'second batch', but then I wonder... are there differences between the batches? It's so confusing..

I'll try not to hesitate too long though, as that is always what makes me miss out on these things... Razz

Oh, I purchased no parted-out swords and scabbards. The batches are probably all the same. I'm just providing the links in case you can cancel your prep-order and don't want to wait. Do realize that the set is being sold in two versions: with or without the body (but that would be reflected in the price). The links I provided were both for the set without the body.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

skywalkersaga

GubernatorFan wrote:

Oh, I purchased no parted-out swords and scabbards. The batches are probably all the same. I'm just providing the links in case you can cancel your prep-order and don't want to wait. Do realize that the set is being sold in two versions: with or without the body (but that would be reflected in the price). The links I provided were both for the set without the body.

Yeah, thank you, understood! Very Happy

And no worries, I was really just poking fun at myself .... my self-deprecating sense of humour doesn't always come across online... Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Yeah, thank you, understood! Very Happy

And no worries, I was really just poking fun at myself .... my self-deprecating sense of humour doesn't always come across online... Razz

No problem. For what it is worth, Toy Anxiety just parted out the Mr Toys Barbarian Set A (Conan).

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for the review, gives me a good impression, especially of the head sculpt. so far i wasn't 100% satisfied with any solution i had available. somehow the molded hair always got in the way of posing or simply look weird. and because my skills of applying real hair are somewhat limited, well, they look just as bad.
this head however is high on my list if it pops up as a seperate item of my go-to store.

still holding my breath for a rexor/thorgrim set. for what is steel compared to the heads it cuts off? Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:thanks for the review, gives me a good impression, especially of the head sculpt. so far i wasn't 100% satisfied with any solution i had available. somehow the molded hair always got in the way of posing or simply look weird. and because my skills of applying real hair are somewhat limited, well, they look just as bad.
this head however is high on my list if it pops up as a seperate item of my go-to store.

still holding my breath for a rexor/thorgrim set. for what is steel compared to the heads it cuts off? Wink

You are very welcome, and I'm glad it was informative for you. The new Kaustic Plastik's face looks like an even better sculpt (if they match the promotional images) but the one-piece sculpted/molded hair and headgear are a disappointment for me too. Still, looking forward to it. Practice makes perfect, and perhaps one day you might feel more comfortable applying hair. Not exactly a tutorial, but you might want to check out this recent thread HERE.

The Mr Toys set has and/or will be parted out by the usual suspects (like Toy Anxiety and Monkey Depot), and probably various eBay stores.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Update: for the new Kaustic Plastik Conan Masterclass set, see HERE.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thankfully, I did end up finding one of these sets in-stock, and cancelling my previous 'pre-order' -- hopefully the new order ships soon. Normally I don't mind waiting, but I've been finding pre-orders very stress-inducing lately... and since the new release date for it was potentially not until AFTER Christmas, that would have defeated the purpose of it... aka, being a gift and all.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
You definitely need to get that for the hubby’s Christmas present — especially after the B-Day present he got for you. Wink

He who dies with the most toys wins!

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review - Page 2 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:You definitely need to get that for the hubby’s Christmas present — especially after the B-Day present he got for you. Wink

Hehe, yes, exactly! And maybe Conan can ride the black stallion in the meantime until I finish the other figures for it. Very Happy

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Another solid review, thanks, GB!
Did you insert the M35 feet into the leather boots? Or are there boot-feet inside?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thankfully, I did end up finding one of these sets in-stock, and cancelling my previous 'pre-order' -- hopefully the new order ships soon. Normally I don't mind waiting, but I've been finding pre-orders very stress-inducing lately... and since the new release date for it was potentially not until AFTER Christmas, that would have defeated the purpose of it... aka, being a gift and all.

Great, I hope it works out. And you have the body standing by? Smile

skywalkersaga wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:You definitely need to get that for the hubby’s Christmas present — especially after the B-Day present he got for you. Wink

Hehe, yes, exactly! And maybe Conan can ride the black stallion in the meantime until I finish the other figures for it. Very Happy

I was just going to suggest this.

rollotomasi wrote:Another solid review, thanks, GB!
Did you insert the M35 feet into the leather boots? Or are there boot-feet inside?

Thank you very much, glad you liked it! This set (unlike the Kaustic Plastik Masterclass one I just reviewed) one comes with boot-feet (or the equivalent) already inside (or part of) the boot, so I took off the M35 feet and just inserted the steel foot pegs into the holed inside the boots. It works reasonably well, although balance is always a little bit of a concern with those taller and heavier bodies.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
I was curios this MR Toys if they use TBL body for this figure.... Very Happy so it is true they use M35....the head sculpt looks nice and I am happy that they don't do this Arnold expression like "Terminator" feel, like others always do....Suspect

Btw his Nicky-pinky soft sexy nips still distracting me all the time...or attracting me all the time.... Laughing Laughing Laughing What a Face What a Face What a Face

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:I was curios this MR Toys if they use TBL body for this figure.... Very Happy so it is true they use M35....the head sculpt looks nice and I am happy that they don't do this Arnold expression like "Terminator" feel, like others always do....Suspect

Btw his Nicky-pinky soft sexy nips still distracting me all the time...or attracting me all the time.... Laughing Laughing Laughing What a Face What a Face What a Face

LOL well apparently you're not the only one, but I was trying to match the look on the photos from the movie.

Yes, both this set and the other (Kaustic Plastik Masterclass) I just reviewed are designed to use the M35 body -- this one more successfully than the other. In this (the Mr Toys) case, some of the purchase options include the set actually including the body, although I myself supplied it separately (since I already had some).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Thankfully, I did end up finding one of these sets in-stock, and cancelling my previous 'pre-order' -- hopefully the new order ships soon. Normally I don't mind waiting, but I've been finding pre-orders very stress-inducing lately... and since the new release date for it was potentially not until AFTER Christmas, that would have defeated the purpose of it... aka, being a gift and all.

Great, I hope it works out. And you have the body standing by? Smile

Not yet, but now that I know the set will soon be on its way, I'll get right on that... Wink

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ugh, ok.... I am finally putting together this set for my husband's Christmas present, and when I went to put on the hands, I realized that the particular tbleague body I received seems to be missing the right gripping hand??? you know...the hand I need for him to hold the sword... ahhh!

Instead, it seems to have come with duplicate 'fist' hands. Has anyone else had this problem? And I guess this means I now need to root around for new hands for him. -_-

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That sucks. Maybe you could contact the place where you ordered it from to see if they can get you a replacement.

mrtoys - Conan the Barbarian Set A by Mr Toys (MT2018-02) review - Page 2 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I've had the body for a while and I feel kind of silly for not having checked it sooner, but honestly it was not noticeable until I actually went to get the hand out of the box to swap it for the sword gripping hand. I bought this particular M35 body from GianToy back in August -- not sure how long would be too long to bring it up?

Either way, I'm sure it was just a random packaging error, but still... frustrating. Even if I do ask for a replacement hand, it may not arrive in time so I'll try to find something to use as back up just in case. I've got lots of spare male hands... but finding one that's actually compatible /skin-tone matching might be trickier.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That is frustrating indeed. I forgot what it was, but I do remember coming across some product that had two of the same hand (?) sculpts and so one less option than it was supposed to. Might have been a TBLeague. Don't you have another TBLeague male body you can borrow the hand from? It would be the same. If not, improvise with another hand for now, while looking for either a loose hand on eBay or part-out places or getting yourself another TBLeague body (but not M36, which does not have such hands, or M30 which might not match in color). You would surely find some purpose for the extra body, even if you won't have a right grip hand for it down the line.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah, thank you -- I wasn't sure if the other tbleague hands would work or not. I *do* have an M32 atm, so sounds like the problem is solved! I'll just borrow one of those hands for now. Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Monkey Depot has a couple different pairs of Male weapon grip (sword) hands for less than $2.00 -- though shipping across the pond might not be worth it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah, yeah, I love Monkey Depot but you are right, I have to try to purchase enough from them at once to make the shipping worth it.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yes, go with the M32 hands. They should work. And if they are even a little off, you can always swap them later. Meanwhile, get yourself an M33 or M34 or M35 to play with and to deprive of a right grip if necessary. Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lol, yes, that would make the most sense — chop off Ani’s hand and give it to Arnie. Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Lol, yes, that would make the most sense — chop off Ani’s hand and give it to Arnie. Laughing

Well I had no idea that SUCH a sacrifice was involved! You really need more bodies... Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:You really need more bodies... Smile

I know... Sad

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Question: is there a 'right' way to put on the strap that holds the sword scabbard on his back? I've seen the way it looks in example pics, reviews, and some youtube vids [most seem to put it so the hilt of the sword would be sticking up over his right shoulder], but not actually found an image from the films that shows the exact configuration. It's not a huge deal, but just curious...

ETA: Also, the boots are giving me some trouble, as I'm struggling to get the ankle pegs to go in. Perhaps they need a bit of heating? It's really cold  here atm. Though I hesitate to heat up faux leather. This is the first male tbleague body I've ever actually handled properly, so maybe I just don't know wtf I'm doing. Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
So the hilt is over his right shoulder — he’s right-handed. About the only scenes I can remember seeing it on his back, are when he and Subatai are running from city to city. I really need to watch that movie again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum