OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I used to have these posted somewhere, but I can't find them so here we go again, just in case someone finds them useful or funny...

Fed up with its bad wrists and other shortcomings, I decided to experiment on one of my M31 bodies (this was back in 2017). Long story short, the stainless steel skeleton was emancipated from its rubbery silicone flesh ("skin"), with education results as to how it really works -- though I am by no means the first or last to dissect a Phicen/TBLeague body. It was remarkable how tough it was to cut through the silicone material, even on purpose with a sharp X-Acto knife.

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen10

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen11

Actually, that was not the Phicen skeleton but the Coo Model one -- just the Phicen body.
My most Dexter Morgan-like head sculpt found its way onto an M30 body to complete the dissection of the unfortunate M31:

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen12

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen13

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen14

I call this one "Denial":

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen15

And this one, "Freedom":

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Phicen16

#phicen #tbleague #m31 #seamless #body #stainless #steel #skeleton

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Great humorous photos, there's a certain...artistic quality to the way you have the skin 'mounted' on top of the steel skeleton like that. I could almost see it being a series, not just with this model but the others too (though who would dare do such a thing?).

The first photo actually doesn't look too bad; that's the thing about the M31, certain angle shots hide or minimalize its flaws. But for its price that shouldn't be necessary... Here's to hoping TBLeague eventually gives the slim/natural body a go once more. I would also like to see a fat one. lol

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lol, great pics, GF!

And yeah ... this body is so odd. Aside from its technical shortcomings, the thing that always strikes me about it is the weirdly ‘dainty’ or ‘shapely’ waist. It’s so strange-looking, and detracts greatly from the masculine appearance ( much in the same way that I feel the overly tiny hips on certain of the female tbleague bodies detract from their feminine appearance, but that’s another story). If they had given the figure a normal waist shape (or even very slight ‘belly’ on top of a normal waist), it would have looked a bit more ‘natural’...or at the very least, a bit less bizarre.

Ovy

Ovy
Wow you REALLY don't like that M31. xD But I thought there were little coo-skeletons in every seamless body?? Very educational.

While the gutting pics have a disturbing 'That weird kid from Toy Story' vibe, "Denial" is quite artsy. I mean, modern art gallery with white background artsy. You might get even more recognition if you fled to LA because there is an oppressive regime in power of your home country and your art is the expression of your inner tortured soul and everything you left behind, with only your knowledge, skills and morals left, stripped from your material possessions. Respect to all of those kinds of people, btw.

Anyway, what do you do with those flayed bodies? Make robots with the skeletons? Or can parts of the body be used as some kind of 'flesh sleeve' (sounds disturbing) to create seamless parts on plastic figures that don't show that much skin (skin socks and vambraces for a Roman legionnaire for example).

And to defend the poor body, there are men who look like that, it's genetics and stuff. But yes, a fat seamless body would be cool. A squishy Buddha would bring luck .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
AlKelAstra91 wrote:Great humorous photos, there's a certain...artistic quality to the way you have the skin 'mounted' on top of the steel skeleton like that. I could almost see it being a series, not just with this model but the others too (though who would dare do such a thing?).

The first photo actually doesn't look too bad; that's the thing about the M31, certain angle shots hide or minimalize its flaws. But for its price that shouldn't be necessary... Here's to hoping TBLeague eventually gives the slim/natural body a go once more. I would also like to see a fat one. lol

Thank you very much. The original reasons behind it were (1) my disappointment in the body, especially after the wrists became, for all practical purposes, irreparable, (2) curiosity as to how it all works -- both the skeleton (although by then I had seen others' photos) and the silicone flesh, (3) someone asked about what these look like on the inside. The "mounted" or "Denial" photo was the skeleton trying to get back in (or was it the flesh trying to get back on top?). I have always said M31 had good aspects to it -- a more realistic, if tan, skin color than the pale and more greyish M30, a taller stature, a thinner body type that is good for clothing, and a very nicely sculpted back side. Unfortunately, it did not function well in the end (wrists), and certain things were both unsightly and unrealistic (pecs and elbows).

skywalkersaga wrote:Lol, great pics, GF!

And yeah ... this body is so odd. Aside from its technical shortcomings, the thing that always strikes me about it is the weirdly ‘dainty’ or ‘shapely’ waist. It’s so strange-looking, and detracts greatly from the masculine appearance ( much in the same way that I feel the overly tiny hips on certain of the female tbleague bodies detract from their feminine appearance, but that’s another story). If they had given the figure a normal waist shape (or even very slight ‘belly’ on top of a normal waist), it would have looked a bit more ‘natural’...or at the very least, a bit less bizarre.

Thanks so much! Yes, it is an odd one. They claimed they were going for an average body, but ended up with something just odd -- a bit taller than average (though in itself something taller than M30 was the a step in the right direction), but badly proportioned and shaped. The waist might be part of it, now that you mention it, though it was not what bothered me most. See more below.

Ovy wrote:Wow you REALLY don't like that M31. xD But I thought there were little coo-skeletons in every seamless body?? Very educational.

While the gutting pics have a disturbing 'That weird kid from Toy Story' vibe, "Denial" is quite artsy. I mean, modern art gallery with white background artsy. You might get even more recognition if you fled to LA because there is an oppressive regime in power of your home country and your art is the expression of your inner tortured soul and everything you left behind, with only your knowledge, skills and morals left, stripped from your material possessions. Respect to all of those kinds of people, btw.

Anyway, what do you do with those flayed bodies? Make robots with the skeletons? Or can parts of the body be used as some kind of 'flesh sleeve' (sounds disturbing) to create seamless parts on plastic figures that don't show that much skin (skin socks and vambraces for a Roman legionnaire for example).

And to defend the poor body, there are men who look like that, it's genetics and stuff. But yes, a fat seamless body would be cool. A squishy Buddha would bring luck .

Thank you very much. To be honest, when I was doing the photos, I was thinking only about presenting the skeleton and especially the emancipated "flesh" "suit," and how to arrange for a peak inside it (since it had the tendency to close back up on itself, sliced through or not). Clarity and humor were intended, the artsy aspects (such as there are) came to me only afterwards.

I kept the body around doing nothing for awhile. Later I experimented on it with acrylics mixed with silicone glue, then silicone pigment (silc pig) mixed with silicone glue, and finally oil pastel (it does make an appearance in the Painting Seamless Bodies thread we turned into a makeshift tutorial). I think I tossed it out during the move. Slicing off parts and using them elsewhere is theoretically possible but in practice would be very difficult, not to say impossible. But perhaps I lack imagination.

My issue is not really that it is an unattractive body (from the front mostly, the back is good) -- something Phicen (now TBLeague) actually acknowledged in the promotional write up for its next body! I am perfectly fine with imperfect bodies as long as they are realistic; I would buy a "fat Thor" body in a heartbeat if they made one LOL. But this was not actually realistic in its imperfection. It is as if they took their first body (M30), did some resculpting to make the mold produce something less bulky, and then stretched it (in the digital design stage?) to make it taller (in itself a good idea, given the height of their female bodies at the time), but that caused problems in the realism. I think if you look carefully, you would see that certain elements like the chest are unnaturally elongated in the vertical direction. The nipples sit too far up on the pecs. The elbows (or at least the right one, judging by your photos) look like bent noodles. And when my best efforts to repair the faulty wrists resulted in a tentative, floppy, and insecure fit paired with some signs of "flesh" stretching damage on the lower arms, it was time to give up on it, for me. The "execution" or "dissection" was more out of curiosity and the newfound availability of what I considered an unnecessary or unusable body than my disappointment or "wrath." So insofar as the wrists are still usable, I now consign the M31 to fully clothed figures, in which it works very well. For example, the kitbashed/customized imperial naval guards ("Death Star Troopers/Death Squad Troopers" -- both misnomers) in the photo from the Christmas special below:
Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) Swcm3110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Interesting dissection. I’m curious about that plastic chest piece in the skeleton— what is it’s purpose? To keep the chest puffed out, I guess.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Interesting dissection. I’m curious about that plastic chest piece in the skeleton— what is it’s purpose? To keep the chest puffed out, I guess.

Thank you. As for the plastic chest (and upper back) piece, I think that's exactly the point -- and to do so without being filled up with solid steel or even silicone -- which would probably increase both weight and cost (and shipping cost). It is hollow, and a little bit of the silicone must have seeped in when it was liquid -- I guess.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:I am perfectly fine with imperfect bodies as long as they are realistic .... But this was not actually realistic in its imperfection.

Yes, that's exactly it!

You made great use of them in your kitbash. :'D

And looking back at the pics of the 'flayed man', I'm getting some strong House Bolton vibes.... Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, that's exactly it! You made great use of them in your kitbash. :'D And looking back at the pics of the 'flayed man', I'm getting some strong House Bolton vibes.... Razz

Glad you agree. And thank you! As for House Bolton, you're on a roll today. Smile

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
I thought I am watching a Terminator... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ...and I am little bit surprise that TBLeague silicon body is so thick (I always think like they made it thin layer of the silicon because sometime I can press and feel like empty inside....) and the ball joints placements...now I know why they will get loose after a few times posing....Shocked

By the way this is a really cruel but true great educational stuff...have my salute for your m31 Laughing Laughing

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:I thought I am watching a Terminator... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ...and I am little bit surprise that TBLeague silicon body is so thick (I always think like they made it thin layer of the silicon because sometime I can press and feel like empty inside....) and the ball joints placements...now I know why they will get loose after a few times posing....Shocked

By the way this is a really cruel but true great educational stuff...have my salute for your m31 Laughing Laughing

Well, he was sacrificed in the name of science and knowledge. Smile As for the ball joints, as far as I know, in the male bodies they were only trouble with the M31. My other ones have held up fine, knock on wood.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
GubernatorFan wrote:
lawlaw91 wrote:I thought I am watching a Terminator... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ...and I am little bit surprise that TBLeague silicon body is so thick (I always think like they made it thin layer of the silicon because sometime I can press and feel like empty inside....) and the ball joints placements...now I know why they will get loose after a few times posing....Shocked

Well, he was sacrificed in the name of science and knowledge. Smile As for the ball joints, as far as I know, in the male bodies they were only trouble with the M31. My other ones have held up fine, knock on wood.

Valuable sacrifice indeed:twisted: !!! Btw there are 3 of my M35 already loose on knees and elbow, bouncing all the time I just feel upset that they are not able to do some of the poses anymore pig pig pig

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:Valuable sacrifice indeed:twisted: !!! Btw there are 3 of my M35 already loose on knees and elbow, bouncing all the time I just feel upset that they are not able to do some of the poses anymore pig pig pig

Oh that is a rather different type of wearing out than what I meant. But perhaps you are wearing them out with too many poses? I have often wondered how it is possible (and if it is possible) for them to retain a good joint tightness indefinitely.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
GubernatorFan wrote:
lawlaw91 wrote:Valuable sacrifice indeed:twisted: !!! Btw there are 3 of my M35 already loose on knees and elbow, bouncing all the time I just feel upset that they are not able to do some of the poses anymore pig pig pig

Oh that is a rather different type of wearing out than what I meant. But perhaps you are wearing them out with too many poses? I have often wondered how it is possible (and if it is possible) for them to retain a good joint tightness indefinitely.

No, you guess it right~~~the cost is there scratch ....keep twisting their "balls" will starting to loose internally.... Suspect Suspect

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Well, even a real 1:1 human's joints will start to wear out.... sooner or later. Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Well, even a real 1:1 human's joints will start to wear out.... sooner or later. Razz

True, but apparently we can handle this with Glucosamine Chrondroitine pills, but that's not an option for our inanimate little friends. Wink

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic pioneer work ! Maybe i already " shorten " TBL Bodys but i never spripped the skin completely. I just cut leg bones and the rubber Leg in the same way. Looks like the best way You choose. Maybe the cut on the backside of the Body scratch Could be better...i think there will be no glue to fix it, because if the figure moves ( situps ) no Glue will hold this...
Many thanks that for

Ahh... the skeleton. You have that one with new steel joints ? I can´t find them anymore. Coo model stoped selling it ?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Fantastic pioneer work ! Maybe i already " shorten " TBL Bodys but i never spripped the skin completely. I just cut leg bones and the rubber Leg in the same way. Looks like the best way You choose. Maybe the cut on the backside of the Body scratch Could be better...i think there will be no glue to fix it, because if the figure moves ( situps ) no Glue will hold this...
Many thanks that for

You are very welcome. And thank you for the kind words. Yes, I don't think it would be easily reparable, which is why I used a body that was already ruined in my eyes (the wrist pins kept coming off and there was no permanent secure repair solution) and with problems to begin with (the noodle elbows and forearms). I cut through the front rather than the back perhaps because the back side of the body is actually nicely sculpted (as opposed to the front) -- but that might have been a subconscious decision. But I wasn't expecting to repair it either way.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Abandon the flesh, embrace steel! Could work as some sort of slogan  maybe for something interesting. 😏

I did something similar to that when I was little to a GI Joe flint (or Duke, don't remember well) I was about 6 or so and I took a blade from my dad's tool box and cut open the leg to see the "Bones" I ended up with a broken toy and grounded for using a blade without my parents knowing.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Body - Emancipating the Phicen/TBLeague skeleton (M31 flayed) 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Abandon the flesh, embrace steel! Could work as some sort of slogan  maybe for something interesting. 😏

I did something similar to that when I was little to a GI Joe flint (or Duke, don't remember well) I was about 6 or so and I took a blade from my dad's tool box and cut open the leg to see the "Bones" I ended up with a broken toy and grounded for using a blade without my parents knowing.

LOL. And I see how far back your interest in customizing and creating your own work began. It must have been in the stars... Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum