OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part I: 1:12 to 1:6 male seamless body scale comparison
(for Part II see post 6 below; for Part III see post 15 below)

Since the issue occasionally comes up, I thought I would provide a couple of comparison photos of the newly released TBLeague (Phicen) seamless 1:12 scale male bodies I just reviewed (HERE) with what seem to be their 1:6 scale counterparts. It does look like they did manage to transfer quite a lot of the musculature, etc, detail onto the smaller bodies.

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblmbs10

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblmbs11

Hope this is useful.

#tbleague #phicen #seamless #male #body

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very useful, and great idea for a thread -- thanks for this! Smile 

While the muscles are of course not as 'cleanly' defined on the smaller figures, they did a decent job considering the scale. When looking at this comparison, I realize that perhaps the thing that I wasn't as keen on with the 1/12 wasn't really the shape of the bodies, but more specifically the wrists/arms, which seem a lil on the chunky side. But in all fairness, that is an issue that tbleague have with many of their figures...especially some of the smaller 1/6 versions. I can imagine it's not easy to get that silicone to be much thinner in those areas without risk of it tearing. 

From the pics at least, it seems the skintone is more or less consistent between the 1/6 and 1/12 bodies, which perhaps isn't something that is a huge deal to some, but still good to know. 

And lmao @ those poor, sad faces.  Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Very useful, and great idea for a thread -- thanks for this! Smile 

While the muscles are of course not as 'cleanly' defined on the smaller figures, they did a decent job considering the scale. When looking at this comparison, I realize that perhaps the thing that I wasn't as keen on with the 1/12 wasn't really the shape of the bodies, but more specifically the wrists/arms, which seem a lil on the chunky side. But in all fairness, that is an issue that tbleague have with many of their figures...especially some of the smaller 1/6 versions. I can imagine it's not easy to get that silicone to be much thinner in those areas without risk of it tearing. 

From the pics at least, it seems the skintone is more or less consistent between the 1/6 and 1/12 bodies, which perhaps isn't something that is a huge deal to some, but still good to know. 

And lmao @ those poor, sad faces.  Laughing

Thank you and welcome.

I know, while overall they can't compete with sixth-scale quality, they still look pretty impressive in the detail. What you say about the wrists and hands makes sense -- especially the outstretched fingers hands, which would probably be a problem even in larger scale. The skintone is fairly consistent, and I think on the twelfth-scale figures it also happens to match between silicone surface and hard plastic even better -- at least when it comes to hands and feet (the head sculpts are just a bit warmer in tone).

Yep, smiley faces did not seem appropriate covers for privation. Smile

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
Looks so cute....maybe I will try get one someday....Is there same "quality" on touch and bending their articulations? I am waiting and see if they produced more headsculpts and outift...this may get me another world....atleast I can fit them in my bag for outdoor shooting....

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:Looks so cute....maybe I will try get one someday....Is there same "quality" on touch and bending their articulations? I am waiting and see if they produced more headsculpts and outift...this may get me another world....atleast I can fit them in my bag for outdoor shooting....

Yes, same quality, similar (if simplified) articulation. Outfits, especially footwear, could be a challenge if you want it to fit right. For more details, see the review -- https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2098-tbleague-phicen-112-seamless-male-bodies-review

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part II: 1:12 to 1:6 female seamless body scale comparison
(for Part I see post 1 above; for Part III see post 15 below)

Here is a scale comparison of the TBLeague (Phicen) 1:12 scale body T01B (new suntan) and 1:6 scale body S29B (also new suntan). These 1:12 and 1:6 bodies are not precisely each other's counterparts, but I thought the 1:6 head sculpt (Black Widow, to match the Hasbro 1:12 one I used) looked good on this particular 1:6 body. In 1:1 terms, the 1:12 body+head as set up here translates to about 5 feet 7 inches, while the 1:6 body+head translates to about 5 feet 5 inches. Scarlett Johansson is actually 5 feet 3 inches, so perhaps I should have used the S25B body instead (that would have been about right), but then there would have been greater disparity between the relative scale of that body and the 1:12 body T01B, making the two less comparable.

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblfbs10

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblfbs11

#tbleague #phicen #seamless #female #body

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
1/12 girl definitely looks better....and somehow I see the details on 1/12 are better than the 1/6.....I don't get S29B yet, still don't know how is the newer body...as I felt in love with S23B super muscular girl bodies now....Laughing Laughing

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Another nice comparison, GF. Smile

It's true the 1/12 figure is not an exact match for any of the 1/6 tbleague bodies -- it seems almost like a blend between some of the muscled bodies and, interestingly, to my eyes, the s25b. 

You are right, lawlaw, that the s29b is not as 'defined' as some of the previous 1/6 bodies, but that is because it was designed to be that way -- as a more 'buxom', softer type of body than the others.  Since I'm more partial to the less-muscled female bodies myself, I found it a welcome addition to the tbleague line up. It is in fact still quite muscled on the arms and legs, but just perhaps a bit more 'naturally' so. 

When it comes to the 1/12 female bodies, I actually really like them! My only wish is that the bust was a little smaller, but that is my main complaint about pretty much all the female bodies other than the s17b. Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:1/12 girl definitely looks better....and somehow I see the details on 1/12 are better than the 1/6.....I don't get S29B yet, still don't know how is the newer body...as I felt in love with S23B super muscular girl bodies now....Laughing Laughing

The purpose of the comparison wasn't exactly to see if one looks better, but rather whether the 1:12 scale action figure bodies can match the 1:6 scale ones effectively; but I suppose your comment speaks to TBLeague's relative degree of success. Like I wrote above, the two bodies are not exactly counterparts, and if TBLeague made a 1:6 version of the 1:12 body, it would probably look just as good (it may have done so -- I remember there was some discussion about which existing 1:6 TBLeague body was being recreated in the 1:12 version, but I don't recall if there was a consensus and what that was). The 1:6 scale S29B (and S28A, if you wanted the pale version) was purposefully designed to be a medium-height, (slightly!) fuller, "buxom" body. The 1:12 scale T01B (or T01A, if you wanted the pale version) is intended to be a taller and slimmer body. So they don't exactly compare in that sense. They do compare in some of TBLeague's unfortunate recent choices, namely the disappearance of lateral articulation to the lower arm, which is extremely disconcerting and annoying, although you can still compensate for it to a great extent by bending the arm at the elbow and using that as leverage to rotate as needed, but from the shoulder. This began with their more petite female bodies (S24A-S27B) and carried over to the less petite S28A-S29B, and to all their 1:12 bodies, female and male alike.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Another nice comparison, GF. Smile It's true the 1/12 figure is not an exact match for any of the 1/6 tbleague bodies -- it seems almost like a blend between some of the muscled bodies and, interestingly, to my eyes, the s25b. ... 

When it comes to the 1/12 female bodies, I actually really like them! My only wish is that the bust was a little smaller, but that is my main complaint about pretty much all the female bodies other than the s17b. Razz

Thank you! We agree completely. And I do suppose you went for the "medium bust" version, which is really quite large anyway. I've come across reviewers that have relatively little experience with or perspective on the Phicen/TBLeague bodies who have commented on that right off the bat (as in "if that is medium, I can't imagine what the large one would be") -- understandably enough. Without wishing to echo the overstated mantra of sexism permeating everything, when it comes to female action figure bodies and head sculpts, generic/stereotypical standards of beauty and desirability tend to hold a monopoly. Par contre, there are plenty of aged and/or less than handsome male head sculpts, and at least World Box has introduced "dad" and "fat" male bodies. I am not saying that there shouldn't be beautiful/handsome heads and bodies, just wishing there was a bit more variety available.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah, definitely. And at this point is not even really all that much to ask, imo --  even just providing the option of the same existing bodies but with SLIGHTLY smaller busts would do wonders, and allow for so much more variety as you say. 

This is something that I have always been critical about toward seamless bodies in general -- for all their purported 'realism', they tend to stray too far into 'heavily idealized' territory in so many other ways, especially in the almost cartoonishly large bust shapes/sizes on some of their female figures [and muscles on the male figures]. 

Likewise, there are many body shapes out there that are considered 'beautiful' these days. Which is why it does irk me sometimes that they choose to perpetuate some very narrow and out-of-date ideas of both male and female beauty. Of course, I understand the argument about the fact that they still need to sell these things, but in my opinion, they are underestimating their 'audience'. Or at least, the potential of their audiences. If they started a line of less-busty ladies, for instance, they might even widen their appeal into the doll-making community, who like flatter chest figures for their fashion dolls for reasons both practical and aesthetic. 

And that's just one single example -- there are many other ways they could easily branch out. Of course, these things take time, and I'm not really complaining too much, as they have at least recently put out the above buxom body, which was a really good step in that direction. Smile

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
GubernatorFan wrote:
lawlaw91 wrote:1/12 girl definitely looks better....and somehow I see the details on 1/12 are better than the 1/6.....I don't get S29B yet, still don't know how is the newer body...as I felt in love with S23B super muscular girl bodies now....Laughing Laughing

The purpose of the comparison wasn't exactly to see if one looks better, but rather whether the 1:12 scale action figure bodies can match the 1:6 scale ones effectively; but I suppose your comment speaks to TBLeague's relative degree of success. Like I wrote above, the two bodies are not exactly counterparts, and if TBLeague made a 1:6 version of the 1:12 body, it would probably look just as good (it may have done so -- I remember there was some discussion about which existing 1:6 TBLeague body was being recreated in the 1:12 version, but I don't recall if there was a consensus and what that was). The 1:6 scale S29B (and S28A, if you wanted the pale version) was purposefully designed to be a medium-height, (slightly!) fuller, "buxom" body. The 1:12 scale T01B (or T01A, if you wanted the pale version) is intended to be a taller and slimmer body. So they don't exactly compare in that sense. They do compare in some of TBLeague's unfortunate recent choices, namely the disappearance of lateral articulation to the lower arm, which is extremely disconcerting and annoying, although you can still compensate for it to a great extent by bending the arm at the elbow and using that as leverage to rotate as needed, but from the shoulder. This began with their more petite female bodies (S24A-S27B) and carried over to the less petite S28A-S29B, and to all their 1:12 bodies, female and male alike.

I see, I can feel that TBL is trying to bring the "types" of body from 1/6 to 1/12, I might interesting a 1/12 muscular body.. cat ...and it seems like the articulation system on 1/12, is the biggest concern for TBL right now...... bounce bounce bounce bounce cyclops

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:I see, I can feel that TBL is trying to bring the "types" of body from 1/6 to 1/12, I might interesting a 1/12 muscular body.. cat ...and it seems like the articulation system on 1/12, is the biggest concern for TBL right now...... bounce bounce bounce bounce cyclops

It is certainly a concern for me -- articulation was one of the best things going for their products, right alongside the seamlessness. Even if the 1:12 scale or petite 1:6 scale bodies were deemed too delicate for the old articulation, the S29B certainly isn't that much smaller than the older female bodies. So I'm worried this is also some sort of cost-saving or convenience measure that may be perpetuated even in larger/regular-sized bodies (whatever you want to call them).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
lawlaw91 wrote:I see, I can feel that TBL is trying to bring the "types" of body from 1/6 to 1/12, I might interesting a 1/12 muscular body.. cat ...and it seems like the articulation system on 1/12, is the biggest concern for TBL right now...... bounce bounce bounce bounce cyclops

It is certainly a concern for me -- articulation was one of the best things going for their products, right alongside the seamlessness. Even if the 1:12 scale or petite 1:6 scale bodies were deemed too delicate for the old articulation, the S29B certainly isn't that much smaller than the older female bodies. So I'm worried this is also some sort of cost-saving or convenience measure that may be perpetuated even in larger/regular-sized bodies (whatever you want to call them).

I completely understand why this would be concerning, but admittedly, since my introduction to tbleague bodies was via the s25b, it's something that I had not even really noticed.... :3

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part III: additional 1:12 to 1:6 female seamless body scale comparison
(for Part I see post 1 above; for Part II see post 6 above)

In view of the above discussion, here is another scale comparison. The 1:6 scale S25B body was a petite (but not the most petite) version of TBLeague's bodies, and while its height would not correspond to that of the 1:12 body when translated to 1:1 scale, the body types seem to me closely comparable. (In 1:1, the 1:6 scale S25B body+head would stand about 5 feet 3 inches, which would be right for Scarlett Johansson; the 1:12 scale T01B body+head would stand about 5 feet 7 inches, which would be too tall. And the HT head sculpt might be a tad large for the otherwise appropriate 1:6 body.)

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblfbs12

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblfbs13

Hope this is useful.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
GubernatorFan wrote:

My safety move so far: better sticking to the S23B or older models first....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:Part III: additional 1:12 to 1:6 female seamless body scale comparison
(for Part I see post 1 above; for Part II see post 6 above)

In view of the above discussion, here is another scale comparison. The 1:6 scale S25B body was a petite (but not the most petite) version of TBLeague's bodies, and while its height would not correspond to that of the 1:12 body when translated to 1:1 scale, the body types seem to me closely comparable. (In 1:1, the 1:6 scale S25B body+head would stand about 5 feet 3 inches, which would be right for Scarlett Johansson; the 1:12 scale T01B body+head would stand about 5 feet 7 inches, which would be too tall. And the HT head sculpt might be a tad large for the otherwise appropriate 1:6 body.)

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblfbs12

seamless - TBLeague (Phicen) seamless body scale comparison (updated with Part III) Tblfbs13

Hope this is useful.

Very neat. Glad to see I wasn't totally crazy for thinking there were some similarities. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:My safety move so far: better sticking to the S23B or older models first....... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I like that body too, although I can see why some find the muscles just a little bit distracting.

skywalkersaga wrote:Very neat. Glad to see I wasn't totally crazy for thinking there were some similarities. Smile

Not at all, there are plenty of similarities. I think the 1:12 scale body is a bit curvier than the older types, even if, like them, it tends to be (translate to) the tall side. The newer, more petite bodies have been curvier too, regardless of bust size. Speaking of, as I was rummaging around looking for bodies, I came across the S17B and saw what you meant.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:

Not at all, there are plenty of similarities. I think the 1:12 scale body is a bit curvier than the older types, even if, like them, it tends to be (translate to) the tall side. The newer, more petite bodies have been curvier too, regardless of bust size. Speaking of, as I was rummaging around looking for bodies, I came across the S17B and saw what you meant.

Ha, yeah...the s17b has a much less ridiculously-sized bust than the others, that is for sure. Razz

And now I'm curious if they will come out with other, additional body shapes for the female figures in 1/12 scale. I mean, they put out TWO different male body shapes and heights right at the same time, so it seems odd that they wouldn't do other sizes or shapes for the female ones, too.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:And now I'm curious if they will come out with other, additional body shapes for the female figures in 1/12 scale. I mean, they put out TWO different male body shapes and heights right at the same time, so it seems odd that they wouldn't do other sizes or shapes for the female ones, too.

I hope they do, but I also hope they give them less bland heads. Their 1:12 Arkhala seems to be a step in the right direction, head-wise. Would be nice to get more options (in any scale), but whereas they produced only one 1:12 scale female body type, they did release it in two different skintones; with the males two body types but only one skintone. They are probably still testing the waters, and I'm not sure where they will go from there, although there are now what 2-3 1:12 scale sets they have produced or are planning?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum