OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lighting

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1lighting  Empty lighting Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Delanie

Delanie
with regard to several posts I've seen recently have noticed something while experimenting.

Background I have a reasonable collection of 'crystals' tumbled stones and rock samples and the other night I was experimenting in a darkened room with a pen sized 'black light', some of my collection show interesting effects under ultraviolet most notably Fluorite which would you believe Fluoresces.

So what you might ask does this have to do with 1/6th figures ? Well on the scale fireplace my figures have a fluorite crystal so while using the light on it I noticed a couple of things.

Anything white as anyone who has been to a dance club/ disco or ghost house/train will know glows, but my Raven figure is actually based on TBl's ' no tomorrow' figure and the printed parts of her dress glow orange under uv and Arwens grey dress coat has white flecks.

Now this is where it gets interesting my Elf head on one of the smaller Tbl bodies also shows up lighter and is a total mismatch with the body colour, I think all of my others matched, where in daylight or artificial light they match. Could the amount of ambient UV light given the time of day have any affect?

It also might be interesting to see what other details can be picked up by blacklight

2lighting  Empty Re: lighting Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I can’t answer any of the questions posed, but I’d love to see pics of the results you talked about. Sounds cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

lighting  C8485110

3lighting  Empty Re: lighting Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Delanie

Delanie
Gosh that was quick, I'll try for images but not sure if my camera will pick up what the eye sees in the dark

4lighting  Empty Re: lighting Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:32 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Reflectivity and fluorescence are fascinating, but I have nothing to contribute on that. Still divided between not overlighting while lighting enough to show all the elements (in a reviews, etc) and experimenting with something more artsy or moody (I had completely forgotten, for example, of using a white surface to bounce light back from to avoid too much in the way of glare, etc). The cutting edge of my current practice is using a dimmable bendy-neck task light with three different settings (I usually use the middle one, but sometimes one of the others is called for).

5lighting  Empty Re: lighting Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
I know nothing about photographic lighting and it seriously compromises my ability to take a decent photo. My only solution at the moment is to take all of my photos in a covered area outside so I can make the most from natural light. Any tricks and tips will be greatly received.

6lighting  Empty Re: lighting Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
I am not really get in your problem with only words....may be you could take some photos about your setting scene or some experiment photos for figure and post it...see anyone of here could helps.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

7lighting  Empty Re: lighting Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:36 pm

MerylAkiba

I bought a Lemax Black Light display lights from Michael's crafts. On Keres, the painted design does appear red or red orange to me. If you check her dress in natural daylight, the print looks almost 'red velvet-like'

If the elf head was painted, the paint may have something which reflects more light under blacklight.

For example, I have a Ignite White ninja, Hot Toys Leia Hoth, and Asmus Gandalf. The ninja reflects blue, which means the outfit fabric reflects more light. However, Gandalf does not reflect, only the thread that was used to sew his tunic and outfit together reflects. This tells me that the sewing thread and fabric don't match. Leia does not reflect at all.

In Addition, a Hot Toys Flametrooper's pouch reflects blue, but the entire armor does not. Also, the armor underneath the shoulders does reflect blue. This means that Hot Toys used gloss white paint that does not reflect back and that the white plastic before paint application has pigments that reflected

You should try it on Black Widow's Shock effects and Scarlet Witch's flame effect. Widows effect reflects bright blue, yet Scarlet's appears grey.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum