OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gorgo 300 review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gorgo 300 review Empty Gorgo 300 review Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 am

michael crawford

Let's look at another slightly unusual sixth scale figure - Gorgo from 300. The best thing about this figure is simple: the marriage of sculpted and rooted hair, a technique they are getting down:

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-091619a.htm

You can also find the review with the others at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Gorgo 300 review Review_gorgo_13

2Gorgo 300 review Empty Re: Gorgo 300 review Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you very much for the detailed and beautifully-illustrated review, as always.

I enjoyed these films -- from the design point of view, since they are horrible as history or historical recreation -- and picked up the HT Leonidas and the first Star Ace Gorgo, plus select pieces of the Star Ace Themistokles. In fact, the first Gorgo was one of the first reviews on this website (HERE).

I don't know to what extent it is your superior photography and/or some kind of improvement on Star Ace's part, but the new Gorgo seems to look a little better, although I think they have used the same mold for the face. I agree that the combination of sculpted and "real" hair is an interesting and bold choice, and the execution is not bad, although -- at least on the old version -- there were issues (the "real" hair jutting out as soon as it cleared its sculpted restraints). Excellent call on the neck issue with female figures -- it does appear to be a trend. As for staining, that can happen even on hard plastic bodies, although TPE (which is I think the material used by Star Ace) is also easily stainable, and the dark-colored dress probably increases the danger of staining. The box seems to be reused from their first Gorgo release, except that they have added a little insert to make it applicable to this armored version. Also, I think you misspoke when you referred to this as the "Gorgo from the original film" -- surely you meant "from the sequel."

3Gorgo 300 review Empty Re: Gorgo 300 review Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for sharing. This seems a decent headsculpt for Star Ace. And the body may indeed be a better one than they usually use, though I agree that the neck issue detracts from it being completely successful. While I don't intend to purchase this figure, if I *were* to do, I couldn't ever see myself actually keeping it on that body, but would immediately switch it out for a tbleague. 

I'm baffled as to how Star Ace are able to charge almost Hot Toys prices for their figures. No offense to them, as I'm glad they at least do fill in the gaps for certain franchises as you noted, but the majority of their figures are simply not worth those kinds of prices, especially not when you have to switch bodies just make the heads look right. 

That being said, I don't necessarily think HT is worth HT prices either, but that's another story... Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Gorgo 300 review Empty Re: Gorgo 300 review Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the review, Michael. I passed on both versions as I don't see much of Lena in either sculpt -- she has a certain "edge" to her that no one seems capable of capturing in 1/6 scale.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gorgo 300 review C8485110

5Gorgo 300 review Empty Re: Gorgo 300 review Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:54 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
If I hadn't seen the movie and recognised the costume, I wouldn't have a clue which actor this is supposed to be. Doesn't even bare a vague resemblance to Lena.

Agreed about the movies. They were a pretty good cinematic adaption of the comics and fun to watch, but had nothing remotely historically authentic about them.

6Gorgo 300 review Empty Re: Gorgo 300 review Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:07 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
shazzdan wrote:

Agreed about the movies. They were a pretty good cinematic adaption of the comics and fun to watch, but had nothing remotely historically authentic about them.
LOL, indeed. As someone of Persian descent, I remember watching the 300 and thinking WTF at the depiction of 'the Persians' in it...  Suspect Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Gorgo 300 review Empty Re: Gorgo 300 review Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:
shazzdan wrote:

LOL, indeed. As someone of Persian descent, I remember watching the 300 and thinking WTF at the depiction of 'the Persians' in it...  Suspect Laughing
Haha, I know how you feel, welcome to the Hollywood enemy stereotype treatment!
The German Nazi stereotypes were quite popular, but became less thanks to...Soviets, North Koreans and the absolutely evil daughter abducting Albanians in their post apocalyptic villages. And many more.
(And the German 'native speaking' characters in Breaking Bad were horrible, absolutely immersion breaking. The only flaw I remember in this series Very Happy)

As for the 'edge' Stryker mentioned, I think Lena Headey only works with an accurate expression head. The expressionless faces of many female headsculpts just don't work here, as even  her expressionless face has a realistic expressionless expression, if that makes sense.
Casually dinking Wine has never been that evil.
Gorgo 300 review Giphy

And just for fun. Wrong character, I know.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum