OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Afghan Paratrooper c.1980

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

Once more another figure, this time of an army that is not well known, the history is quite interesting, my original design for this figure came when I found a photo of the Afghan army in the 1950's, I kept looking and found that the Afghan army (and afghanistan as a whole) had it's golden period during the rule of King Mohammed Zahir Shah, his rule has been recognized for bringing peace and stability to Afghanistan and for his desire to improve and modernize the country. This early Afghan army was mostly outfited (like many other smaller nations after WWII) with surplus weapons, uniforms and equipment, Shah opened up Afghanistan to the rest of the world and opened a relationship with both sides of the cold war, his rule, lasted from 1933 until 1973 when he was removed in a coup lead by his cousin and former prime minister Mohammed Daoud Khan.
From then on Afghanistan would never be the same, a series of coups that would decimate the works Shah had created years prior and allowed fanatical groups to take root, ultimately destroying the country and with it thousands of years of history and records that where burned, destroyed or disappeared.
Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 3pVNsAM
Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Xqh62G9
Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 If5IXux
I found this photo on a German site (as always a lot of photos can be found in german sites.) I originally wanted to do a regular Afghan soldier, however upon finding that photo and seeing that I had a uniform that was almost Identical I had to try it, sadly not much can be found about Afghanistan in terms of military pictures, a lot of it was destroyed once the Taliban took over. The communist era of Afghanistan was quite bloody with lots of suppression, specially against rural folk, which was one of the sparks that lead to the creation of mujaheddin and taliban groups that sought to fight against these forced (and often violent) modernization of the country.

So that's all for today, now I return to finish a fantasy figure that I thought up, actually more than one figure but I gotta stick with the one that's almost finished. For now have a good weekend and have fun!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 1f60e

2Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:35 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Good job.

3Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:38 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Well spotted and recreated. It makes sense but was somewhat surprising to me that it would have been possible to find the right pieces. By the way, Shah is just a title ("king") and should not be used like a last name. The name is double, Muhammad Zahir, paired with the title Shah. The last name, which would not be used for a king, is Barakzai.

4Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:03 pm

PitViper

PitViper
Outstanding work.

5Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Good job.  
Thanks!

GubernatorFan wrote:Well spotted and recreated. It makes sense but was somewhat surprising to me that it would have been possible to find the right pieces. By the way, Shah is just a title ("king") and should not be used like a last name. The name is double, Muhammad Zahir, paired with the title Shah. The last name, which would not be used for a king, is Barakzai.
Well I had the uniform (it's 21st century toys) and the rest was put together by using reference pictures of other armies, I couldn't find any where they had a full kit on which is why I went for something very light. Also thanks for that little lesson, I know nothing bout the middle east or titles, let alone from nobility, we learn something new every day.

PitViper wrote:Outstanding work.
Thanks.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 1f60e

6Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Didn't know much about pre Taliban era either, but
...we learn something new every day.
Exactly!

Great work, cool and somehow sad the same time.

7Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ovy wrote:Didn't know much about pre Taliban era either, but
...we learn something new every day.
Exactly!

Great work, cool and somehow sad the same time.

Thanks Ovy. History has a lot of sad parts, specially when we talk about Afghanistan and the historic period between the 1950's and the end of the Cold War, lots of coups, political cleanses and abuses carried out by a variety of folks against their own.

8Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for sharing! It's great to see some middle-eastern figures here, and with a history lesson along with it, at that. Great work. Smile 

And yes, the way I, as a Persian person, would say it would simply be 'Mohammed Zahir Shah'.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

9Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm

MerylAkiba

Love it! Which 21st century toys had this uniform? Was it a j-hook set or a boxed figure? I think I had that same one?

10Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Empty Re: Afghan Paratrooper c.1980 Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:12 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for sharing! It's great to see some middle-eastern figures here, and with a history lesson along with it, at that. Great work. Smile 

And yes, the way I, as a Persian person, would say it would simply be 'Mohammed Zahir Shah'.

Thanks, glad that I can bring some new things from other parts of the world, I have a few more middle eastern figures that I put together, all of them are from the cold war period which to me is quite interesting historically speaking.

MerylAkiba wrote:Love it! Which 21st century toys had this uniform? Was it a j-hook set or a boxed figure? I think I had that same one?
It was from one of their last J-hook sets, the ones that came with a spare head. If I remember correctly this one also came with the herringbone twill uniform, that is if I remember correctly. 😁

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum