OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

World Box AT027 Mini Review

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:39 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Since there is some interest in non-seamless ripped male bodies in 1:6 scale, here is a brief review of the World Box AT027 body that I received some time ago.

It comes in the traditional simple cardboard box and synthetic trey packaging, which keeps everything comfortably safe and sound. Nothing flashy here, but certainly adequate.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm210

The AT027 body represents a fairly ripped type, more so than their earlier versions along these lines, but also not quite as extreme as what we see in modern body building. The body stands about 13 inches (33 cm) in height if you add a head sculpt (not included). The sculpting is excellent, with lots of medium and minor details representing muscles and veins, and even hairs. The only real problem is the continued tendency for these World Box bodies to have an extra long neck.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm211

Unlike so many base bodies on the market, and unlike some of World Box's more recent installments (which capitalize on articulation but compromise appearance), the body is painted in a somewhat blurry, subtle manner, most notably the areas where one would expect most body hair (chest, abdomen, lower legs, but for some reason not the forearms) and also the nipples.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm212

AT027's articulation is good without being perfect, at least in theory. The ankles, double-jointed knees, wrists work great; there is very little ab crunch (though you can articulate between the chest and the abdomen) but the upper torso can rotate around the waist; the upper legs can come out from the hips almost at 90 degrees, allowing for sitting and kneeling positions. The shoulders include some attempt at more extensive articulation, but it is not very effective; the elbows are single jointed, though they do allow for a 90 degree bend; neck articulation is non-existent except for rotating and tilting the head atop it.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm213

I don't know if this problem is limited to my purchase or systemic, but I noticed that while some of the joints were very tight, most were unusually loose. This is even more of an annoyance than usual, because World Box bodies are hefty and heavy, with a higher center of gravity, and require more care and precautions to pose them standing; with the fairly loose ankles (more specifically the fit between the foot and the ankle peg), these challenges become more challenging.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm214

As a base body, AT027 does not come with a plethora of accessories, apart from some alternate parts, namely three slightly different neck connectors and four interchangeable sets of hands: relaxed hands, fists, knife grip hands, trigger hands. These are nicely sculpted and fit easily enough onto the wrist pegs. The feet are also removable.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm215

The figure does not come with any clothing, which is not altogether surprising for base bodies. What I chose for the photos was designed to show off as much of the body as possible while keeping things clean (the body is anatomically correct or complete).

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm216

The loose joints and the figure's tendency to lose balance due to its heft can be an ongoing concern when handling, posing, and photographing the product. Otherwise, its good articulation and appearance make it a nice option for kitbashers and customizers. AT027 sells for nearly $60 (US). Its durability and realism go some way to justifying this prices, as does the overall rise in the prices of pretty much everything sixth-scale (especially higher-end sixth-scale) these days. But if the loose joints issue is widespread or universal, the quality of the product would be compromised and the price would be far more difficult to justify.

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm217

Overall, AT027 represents a fine addition to the line-up of World Box bodies. They have fallen into two categories: bodies that strive to convey a realistic look (via sculpting, details, completeness, un-ideal characteristics, etc), and bodies that attempt to improve the articulation at the expense of the appearance (and are therefore best covered up completely). This dichotomy or conflict epitomizes the choices any company producing sixth-scale bodies has to make. AT027 belongs in the former category, where the look is more important than articulation, although some elements would seem to contradict this, for example the very distracting double-jointed knees: they work very well but are quite hideous. Perhaps I have been resorting to seamless bodies too long...

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm218

If you are looking to get yourself a World Box AT027 body, you can check in all the usual places, including eBay, or some of the stores listed below (among others).
Big Bad Toy Store $60
Cotswold Collectibles $58
Monkey Depot $58
Timewalker Toys $58

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm219

Hope this was useful. What do you think?

#productreview #worldbox #at027 #male #muscular #ripped #body

2worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:20 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the review, Guv. (Glad to see you still have power). I don’t have plans (or need at this time) for this WB body, but seeing it in action is very useful. I bought a handful of the A025 (the bodies that fall into the articulation but need to be covered up), and they are fantastic. My only question on this body, do the hands and (especially the) feet need to be heated to be swapped out? I find most of their bodies require it or you’ll always end up pulling the joint out of the body instead of out of the attachment. Overall, I think WB makes the best articulated base bodies on the market today.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review C8485110

3worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:15 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah, thank you so much for taking the time to make this post, GF. For a 'mini' review it's very detailed and helpful. The photos and poses especially. And Christian Bale looks great in that helmet, lol. Wink 

My only concern is that neck... from one angle it seems too long as you say, but then from other views it seems a bit short... or maybe the headsculpt is simply too small for it and doesn't push down far enough over the top of the neck? It's hard to tell for sure. But it does make me think that perhaps one would have to carefully choose the headsculpt to go along with it, to make sure that was compatible and the right size, etc.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the review, Guv. (Glad to see you still have power). I don’t have plans (or need at this time) for this WB body, but seeing it in action is very useful. I bought a handful of the A025 (the bodies that fall into the articulation but need to be covered up), and they are fantastic. My only question on this body, do the hands and (especially the) feet need to be heated to be swapped out? I find most of their bodies require it or you’ll always end up pulling the joint out of the body instead of out of the attachment. Overall, I think WB makes the best articulated base bodies on the market today.

You are welcome. As for power, well, for a few more hours anyway, then a couple days without. Hope that's the worst of it, it could be much worse.

With most World Box bodies heating the plastic is very helpful or outright necessary, and this is no exception for the feet or neck peg; the hands you can probably manage without heating, though it would still be helpful.

skywalkersaga wrote:Yeah, thank you so much for taking the time to make this post, GF. For a 'mini' review it's very detailed and helpful. The photos and poses especially. And Christian Bale looks great in that helmet, lol. Wink 

My only concern is that neck... from one angle it seems too long as you say, but then from other views it seems a bit short... or maybe the headsculpt is simply too small for it and doesn't push down far enough over the top of the neck? It's hard to tell for sure. But it does make me think that perhaps one would have to carefully choose the headsculpt to go along with it, to make sure that was compatible and the right size, etc.

You are welcome and thank you. This slightly damaged Christian Bale lost his ears (which were donated to Fireman Chad) and then I just tried on the Chalcidian helmet on his now earless head (it was originally designed for a female figure, so a smaller head). Encased in the helmet, the head looked like a reasonable fit on this larger body, although it is indeed small in and of itself. Add to this the long and (in this instance) fairly thick neck, and you have an issue. But it would be an issue with most heads, as the sculpted neck is fairly wide (perhaps a little more than necessary) and few head sculpts would be able to plop on correctly.

5worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the explanation re: the neck issue. I have several potential uses in mind for this body, and one of them is for an eventual planned fantasy figure that would require a custom sculpted head. So for that use, it might be ok, since the head could be made specifically to fit it. But kitbashes with existing sculpts might be a bit more tricky.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

6worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It really depends on the size of the head, neck opening, and hair. Here are a couple of photos with different head (I think both KP).

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm220

worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Wbatm221

7worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:47 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Is the first one a Highlander sculpt? Razz

And those do seem a bit better — I think the longer hairstyle helps.

8worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:29 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Is the first one a Highlander sculpt? Razz

And those do seem a bit better — I think the longer hairstyle helps.

Yes, I think so, Christopher Lambert. It is also the size of the heads (per se or perhaps also due to the longer, ampler hair which makes the head look bigger) and the size of the neck holes.

9worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:03 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Cool review, although I am one of those spoiled seamless tbleague-accustomed millenials. And those are even lower in price. But now I know that is the best company for normal bodies.

Did you also buy/review that big man body (with the one-pack) from WorldBox?

10worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Well, I just need to find an excuse to get one. 😁

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review 1f60e

11worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Did you also buy/review that big man body (with the one-pack) from WorldBox?

Are you asking about the Fat (Plump) Body or the Dad Body?

12worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:36 am

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:
Ovy wrote:Did you also buy/review that big man body (with the one-pack) from WorldBox?

Are you asking about the Fat (Plump) Body or the Dad Body?

Exactly, I have one or two ideas for that one. Like a shell people chieftain

13worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:54 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I have both of those bodies. The Dad bod is workable with most head sculpts — if you put full clothes on it, however, the slight paunch is TOO slight (I had to add additional padding to make it work). The Fat body, unless you can find a slightly oversized head, is unusable; it was originally made with some real life person’s likeness for a head — which wasn’t anything I was interested in — and it has a fairly thick neck. Every male head I have doesn’t fit on the damn thing (without modifications to the neck opening on the head sculpt — none of them could sit properly — and they all looked too tiny).

14worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 am

Ovy

Ovy
Ah I didn't know there is a Dad body! But nothing I would use, as the Torso is not in one 'seamless' part and the paunch does not stand outthat much as you mentioned.

Thanks for the info about the issues, the fat body seems rather expensive for experimenting. But I could live with that head, I would give him longer hair and cover the joints.
I think I have also seen the body with a Kevin Costner headsculpt, in one of lawlaw91s threads if I remember correctly

World box only does guys, right? So no big ladies in the future.

15worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:17 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yes, so far only males, which is unfortunate. I’m hoping they branch out into females at some point.

16worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:01 pm

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
Thanks for the review....I just wondering how articulations work on this body....unfortunately this body will not be my list as its limitations on articulations, I will keep going with M34 and M35.....although this 027 has sexy muscle lines and textures Laughing Laughing Laughing

And Worldbox tends to be making long legs like Damtoys bodies, doesn't catch my eyes, but the AT011 long legs fit my old man figure somehow...looks so slim and tall.....

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

17worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:47 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
lawlaw91 wrote:Thanks for the review....I just wondering how articulations work on this body....unfortunately this body will not be my list as its limitations on articulations, I will keep going with M34 and M35.....although this 027 has sexy muscle lines and textures  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

And Worldbox tends to be making long legs like Damtoys bodies, doesn't catch my eyes, but the AT011 long legs fit my old man figure somehow...looks so slim and tall.....

You are welcome. Long legs are usually a good thing, unless of course disproportionate. TBLeague's M33 bothers me, because (without the silly and user-unfriendly extenders) its legs are just a little too short.

18worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 am

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
I can guess M33 is quite involved a lot of their experiment ideas like a not chunky body but with big biceps, shorter legs with extension, M34 and 35 much more ideal in proportion. I like girls with long legs but for man I rather prefer strong thighs than length XDD....But definitely worldbox at027 is a masterpiece with that details....and I bet it weights a lot too I guess?

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

19worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
@GB. Nice review, really like this body.
-Mine has a loose right hip joint making him fall at a slight nudge of the table.
Had to apply two coats of superglue.
Right shoulder joint a bit loose but manageable. Other joints are tight.
-The fists look quite small for this body, so i used the bigger HT fists instead.

20worldbox - World Box AT027 Mini Review Empty Re: World Box AT027 Mini Review Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:03 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
rollotomasi wrote:@GB. Nice review, really like this body.
-Mine has a loose right hip joint making him fall at a slight nudge of the table.
Had to apply two coats of superglue.
Right shoulder joint a bit loose but manageable. Other joints are tight.
-The fists look quite small for this body, so i used the bigger HT fists instead.

Thank you very much. I hope the joint fix worked out well. Didn't try the fists, perhaps you're right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum