OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Tale of Two Alexanders (Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great review)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Ovy

Interesting type of a double review. The phicen one with his fancy blonde wig looks like a He-man cosplayer. Interesting that the body doesn't look that bulky/arnoldesque in that outfit. The old one reminds me of Martin Freeman somehow.

I will read the interesting horse discussion when I find the time, you guys always deliver when it comes to discussions. Very Happy

skywalkersaga

Shazzdan -- yes, that is true about the mark. Didn't Bucephalus have some kind of brand on him as well? Or is that the mark you were referring to? Apologies for my memory being so faulty on the matter. I always get excited when horse related discussions arise, especially in regards to breeds/genetics/coat colours. Though ancient history is certainly not my forte and never has been, and my main experience with it has been almost solely via art history, rather than written texts. ; )

Regarding the headsculpt, well I think one could still make it look a lot nicer with some natural hair. Might not look like the 'real thing', but would still look better than the tbleague factory hair. : )

ETA: And Ovy, I'm lol'ing at the mental image of Martin Freeman as Alexander the Great. Laughing

shazzdan

skywalkersaga wrote:And Ovy, I'm lol'ing at the mental image of Martin Freeman as Alexander the Great. Laughing
historical - A Tale of Two Alexanders (Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great review) - Page 2 MXyb5gp

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

skywalkersaga

Laughing Laughing Laughing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Interesting type of a double review. The phicen one with his fancy blonde wig looks like a He-man cosplayer. Interesting that the body doesn't look that bulky/arnoldesque in that outfit.

So true (He-Man); perhaps the armor and outfit do a good job of distracting from the heft of the muscles.

skywalkersaga wrote:Regarding the headsculpt, well I think one could still make it look a lot nicer with some natural hair. Might not look like the 'real thing', but would still look better than the tbleague factory hair. : )

Very true. It would help to find a more realistic color and a more pliable, organic material.

So here is an in-progress photo. TBLeague Alex with a haircut on an M33 body. Not quite there yet, but certainly more plausible, I think...

historical - A Tale of Two Alexanders (Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great review) - Page 2 Agdt1310

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lookin' good!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s leagues better, Guv.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

historical - A Tale of Two Alexanders (Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great review) - Page 2 C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
Alexander was pretty small. Arrian said he was somewhat less than average height. Curtius said he was not of impressive physique or stature. His companions were all taller than him. Darius' wife confused Hephaistion for Alexander because he looked more regal.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Lookin' good!

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s leagues better, Guv.

Thank you very much! I also thought it was an improvement.

shazzdan wrote:Alexander was pretty small. Arrian said he was somewhat less than average height. Curtius said he was not of impressive physique or stature. His companions were all taller than him. Darius' wife confused Hephaistion for Alexander because he looked more regal.

Agreed, although this is somewhat relative. Hephaistion might not have been very tall by modern standards. The famous story of Alexander being so much shorter than Dareios III (who is said to have been tall), for example, is potentially misleading -- he sat on Dareios' throne and his feet dangled in the air, so one of the Greeks placed a table Dareios had used for dining under Alexander's feet, causing some court eunuch to weep over the turn of fortune. Loyalty, irony, and Alexander's short stature are the usual morals of this story. But if you look at Persian reliefs, you would see that Persian kings used a footstool to rest their feet on while sitting on their thrones, so Alexander's feet dangling in the air is not in itself anything unusual (just some servant forgot to put the footstool where it belonged).

historical - A Tale of Two Alexanders (Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great review) - Page 2 Darius-I-incense-burners-detail-courtyard-bas-relief

At any rate, I doubt we could attain accurate or consistent scale for ancient, medieval, or even early modern people with the action figure bodies and head sculpts that are readily available to us today. Short of the buffer (and therefore inappropriate) M30, the somewhat more average (though certainly quite buff) M33 is the shortest TBLeague available.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thanks for the excellent review. Your last picture of an Alexander is fantastic.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Thanks for the excellent review. Your last picture of an Alexander is fantastic.

Thank you very much (and welcome), I'm glad you liked it. Still a work in progress...

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

The original TBL hair looked a bit girly, certainly better with a restyle. I've had the DML one for years and used the head for an old Jedi bash I did on OSW. It would make a decent Agent 47 sculpt actually. The rubber legs on that DML body on mine are still very much intact, possibly due to them never really being unboxed or used much.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:The original TBL hair looked a bit girly, certainly better with a restyle. I've had the DML one for years and used the head for an old Jedi bash I did on OSW. It would make a decent Agent 47 sculpt actually. The rubber legs on that DML body on mine are still very much intact, possibly due to them never really being unboxed or used much.

Thank you very much. I also think it's an improvement, although the features are certainly a bit too fine and not very Alexandresque (I'm making this a word). Interesting idea about the Dragon head. Yes, it is quite old but the rubber legs are in perfect condition, although I too have been keeping it in its box.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
As I was re-hairing Theoden, it occurred to me that one of Asmus' other recent head sculpts, that of Thorin (Richard Armitage) lends itself pretty well to portraying an ancient Greek, so I popped it onto the M33 (had to increase the neck hole on the head sculpt) with the parted out bits from the TBLeague Alexander set to see how it looks. While certainly no Alexander, he does look (more) Greek. And it is a reminder that Asmus can do hair -- even though non-synthetic hair would be obviously better.

historical - A Tale of Two Alexanders (Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great review) - Page 2 Throri10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That does look cool! I had no idea the Thorin headsculpt was 'full size' - I guess I presumed that since it was portraying a Dwarf, it would be too small to go on a regular sized body. Glad to see I was wrong!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:That does look cool! I had no idea the Thorin headsculpt was 'full size' - I guess I presumed that since it was portraying a Dwarf, it would be too small to go on a regular sized body. Glad to see I was wrong!

Thank you. I actually meant to point that out. Somewhere I had read that the heads tend to be about regular size so I took a chance on the head sculpt and it bears out.

Ovy

Ovy
Agree, looks great. Could be one of Alexander's best friends and companions. Maybe one of those poor best friends he stabbed in a drunken frenzy or something.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Agree, looks great. Could be one of Alexander's best friends and companions. Maybe one of those poor best friends he stabbed in a drunken frenzy or something.

Agreed, even if a bit macabre -- but fitting. Methinks you are thinking of Kleitos the Black. Poor Kleitos was portrayed by Gary Stretch.

dadrab

dadrab
Mighty fine color match to the body, too.

Nice.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
dadrab wrote:Mighty fine color match to the body, too. Nice.

Thank you very much. Yes, the deeper shades do come close to the TBLeague male suntan, so it fits pretty well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum