OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hey all -- it's been ages since I subjected you to posted any of my figures, and I thought I'd better remedy that. Wink  So for some winter holiday fun, I decided to finally do something with the Sideshow 'llum Mission' aka 'Snowbunny' Padme... 

No doubt most here are familiar with the original (and infamously bad) figure, but just in case, here's the one I'm referring to: 

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Compar11

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Compar12

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Compar10

For well over a decade this has been the ONLY official 'high-end' 1/6 Padme figure. The gawd-awfulness of the sculpt and paintjob on this one, not to mention the baffling choice of obscure outfit they went with, has, oddly enough, made it a huge motivator for me to make my own 1/6 Padme's for a while now. So I can't totally hate on it, lol. Many have attempted to do something with it over the years, but usually just use the off-white suit to make a Geonosis Padme. I already utilized the suit for a very early 'doll' kitbash of mine [ETA: see below comment], plus Hot Toys are of course going to be putting out a Geonosis Padme any minute, so I decided to do a lil festive Snowbunny 'bash. albino

Took some pics this afternoon alongside my Hot Toys Anakin (because of course Wink ):

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 1010

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 412

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 1112

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 114

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 712

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 010

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 2810

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 912

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 78614510

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 214

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 315

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 1111

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 512

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 28d10

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 1410

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 20_bes10

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 2310

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 2610

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 2710

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 28a11

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 2110

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 28f10

Parts: Headsculpt repainted by me; DamToys Natalia body (yes, I know many would have preferred a seamless one in this context, but I had my reasons for using this body instead); Sideshow cloak; heavily modified Sideshow accessories, repainted and reassembled; VeryCool gloves, repainted; custom white outfit; custom painted stand. 

The headsculpt on this is still a WIP -- it's one of the heads I was in the middle of repainting for a different planned custom when I realized belatedly I needed to re-hair it, but in the meantime I wanted to use it for a photoshoot with this outfit. 

Anakin is wearing the custom OSK Jedi robes, which really are miles better than the HT ones he came with, and I am forever kicking myself for not buying more than one of those upgrade cloaks while they were still in stock. Ani prefers the more voluminous robes cause there's more room for Padme in there, lol, and he needs multiple because he always ends up leaving his in her shuttle after their not-so secret rendezvous... Wink

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nicely done. I can honestly say I don’t remember this outfit, but I think you did a good job with what you started out with. (Is that one of the NP heads off the Bay?)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:Nicely done. I can honestly say I don’t remember this outfit, but I think you did a good job with what you started out with. (Is that one of the NP heads off the Bay?)

Thanks! The outfit is based on the old 2D animated Clone Wars series that aired back in 2003-2005 [I guess considered Expanded Universe at the time, now considered 'Legends'] -- it's from an episode set on Ilum, a 'wintry'/icy planet, which also happens to be where many kyber crystals that are used in Jedi's lightsabers are to be found. 

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA-GI53eUpXEs9zzfN3nDcarl17g2OKBC4UWIqHeDPcVtYJklS&s

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSED4q4hPB3PbHiMpfUqDjDrwWj1r-CYpUBASScZwPVtbBzEMqr&s

The sculpt was indeed off ebay, but is a rather unique one that I now can't find anywhere again -- I'd thought it was supposed to be the PeakToys PT001 head, but when it arrived it looked different, more like the GacToys NP-esque one, maybe? I can't find the original listing anymore, sadly....seems like, whatever they were, they are all gone. :/

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Very well done conversion. I remember when this show first came out, but I honestly think I watched more of the later CG Clone Wars. I had also never heard of Ilum until I recently played Jedi Fallen Order (which was awesome!!). Cal Kestus has a cool poncho outfit, it'd be sweet to see someone make a 1/6 scale version.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, AlKel! I myself am much more of a fan of the CGI animated The Clone Wars series, though the Tartakovsky series has its own quirky, nostalgic charm. ;') At some point I may do another figure from the 2D show -- the Nelvaan quest Anakin with the blue tattoos -- but that's about it. The TCW series is much more of the driving force [pun entirely intended Wink] behind my work, and in fact was one of the main reasons I got into 1/6 scale in the first place. For over a year now I've been focused on creating 1/6 versions of my fave characters from that series. 

The Clone Wars-era and the whole 'Twilight of the Republic' in general is my favourite time period in Star Wars, I just love everything about it. And the TCW series is what solidified that for me, for so many reasons. It's all very close to my heart and my figures are my way of paying homage to it. It's slow-going though as a lot of my WIPs require so much planning in advance to get right, so I haven't completed all that many yet. I'm also working one some Prequels stuff too, as I still have several Padme outfits from those films that I want to do. ;')

Here are the 'Hot Toys'-style TCW Anakin and Padme I did earlier this year: 

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Tumblr_pr01rupxY41vv5grpo6_r1_540

And here are the more stylized, animated 'doll' versions I did prior to that [well, the Anakin is Sideshow, but the Padme is the very first 'doll' I made when I first got into 1/6 figures]: 

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Tumblr_pkgc8kAp8r1vv5grpo4_540

As for Ilum -- I had totally forgotten about it by the time of TCW, but I think I first really noticed it during the 'Gathering' arc of that series, the one featuring all the adorable younglings on their quest to build their lightsabers *sob*. It's such a cute storyline but of course tinged with the undercurrent of impending darkness and loss that runs throughout that show. 

Thanks for your interest, I can't wait to do the rest of the characters I have planned! Smile

Ephiane

Ephiane
Ahww ! Love her. The HS change her in a really great Figure. Maybe You like to copy this sweet pose for us ?

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Pr_01_10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks so much, Ephiane! Glad you like her! And that's good inspiration ... just need to find her some crates to sit on.... Wink

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
She's a beaut and they look great together!
Thanks for putting DAMtoys Natalia on my radar.
Body shape look better than VeryCool/Poptoys ones with the wider hips,
the breasts look really natural and realistic
and best of all, it has no nipples for thin catsuits,
looks much better than seamless ones in that regard.

Head look like the PT001. Did you add the left mole?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
rollotomasi wrote:She's a beaut and they look great together!
Thanks for putting DAMtoys Natalia on my radar.
Body shape look better than VeryCool/Poptoys ones with the wider hips,
the breasts look really natural and realistic
and best of all, it has no nipples for thin catsuits,
looks much better than seamless ones in that regard.

Head look like the PT001. Did you add the left mole?

Thanks for the kind words! And you are welcome re: the Damtoys Natalia body -- it's one that I really like as well for the same reasons you state! I thought it suited the character really well. It may not seem like much 'nude', but it looks awesome under clothing imo. Smile

The headsculpt was indeed listed as PT001, but in-hand looked a bit different than the other ones I already had. A KO of a KO, perhaps? ;p I gave it a bit of a face-up -- repainted the eyebrows, eye makeup, added the left mole, changed lipstick, etc.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The fact it is from an animated show explains why I didn't recognize the outfit either -- and why it looked like it did in the original set. Your changes, including the head and everything you did with the outfit, make a ton of difference and are a huge improvement. And I'm sure Anakin is not the only one who appreciates that. Smile Thanks for sharing.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:The fact it is from an animated show explains why I didn't recognize the outfit either -- and why it looked like it did in the original set. Your changes, including the head and everything you did with the outfit, make a ton of difference and are a huge improvement. And I'm sure Anakin is not the only one who appreciates that. Smile Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure! And thank you for taking the time to comment, I'm glad you approve of the upgrade. :'D

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
The head change improved that figure a lot, I wonder what was the inspiration for the original one cause it's awful.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] 1f60e

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, theboo-bomb! The inspiration for the figure itself was mentioned above — it’s from the 2D-animated Clone Wars mini-series from c. 2003-2005. I presume the original HS was just their attempt at a ‘realistic’ interpretation of the animated Padme in that, albeit a not-very-successful one. ;p

Ovy

Ovy
Great work on the headsculpt!
Are the moles just brown acrylic dots? I am working on a character that combines the moles of Natalie Portman, Marylin and Elisabeth Taylor in one face, not sure yet if multiple thinned down dots or just a single one of thicker paint.

Is that white suit from VS Toys?
I first thought that outfit was from the 3d series episode on the ice planet inhabited by that Yetis first seein at Mos Eisley Cantina. With those blue colonialist. Totally forgot about the 2d part. It was a fun series and it's getting better the older and more nostalgic we get, I think
But even as a kid/teen I found the episode where Samuel L. Jackoson kills 4636485848284 billion droids and their flying super weapon with his BMF fists over the top and cringy. Laughing

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah, thanks, Ovy! Yes, the moles or 'beauty marks' as I prefer to call them are done with a toothpick and some acrylic paint. I used to do it with a watercolour pencil but it doesn't always work so great on the hard plastic as it does on vinyl doll heads. You can do the acrylic paint method either by quickly dabbing the mark onto the cheek, and then 'lifting' some of the paint back up with something absorbant [paper towel, makeup remover pad, etc], OR just make the mark, then use a lighter shade and very quickly go over it again, only slightly 'off center'. This creates the 'shading' on the mole. This is super tricky part either way.... very easy to mess up, if you have shaky hands like me. :3 

The white outfit is indeed the VStoys one, though re-fitted to the very slender upper body of the DamToys Natalia. : )

ETA: I found this link ... it seems to be a similar underlying head-shape as the one I used for this figure, only with different colouring: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GACTOYS-1-6-scale-head-sculpt-similiar-to-Natalie-Portman-GC005A-fit-12-female/303221627802?hash=item46996adb9a:g:1TAAAOSwLmZZqTvY

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks, I marked the beauty marks with a marker some time ago, will give it a try. I think those beauty marks can add a lot of character to custom headsculpts/original characters.

And fun fact: I had the feeling of knowing that outfit in another scale. Now I know. It's from a puppet that belonged to my dad when he was a little kid. Must be from the 40s I guess.

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Img_2024
Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Img_2025

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ha, that's so cute! Thanks for sharing. :')

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Ha, that's so cute! Thanks for sharing. :')
Ha, I know right? This old squeaking puppet is my niece's favourite toy when she is on a visit.

Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Img_2027
Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Img_2028
Happy Holidays ft. Anakin and Padme [updated Dec. 25th 2023] Img_2026

Well, enough of that, don't want to distort this thread. Speaking of cute - are you planning on using backdrops for future photoshootings? Nothing against the Christmas paper! But I think Galaxies would look good, or some Star Wars landscapes.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, that owl looks precious in it! :’3

And ha, yeah I’d love to do proper backdrops or even dioramas, but I’m not quite ‘there’ yet. I even have some specific scenes in mind that I hope to do at some point. But right now my craft table is covered in Christmas presents in various stages of being wrapped, so it seemed the obvious solution. Laughing Once I can reclaim that space I’ll see what I can do. Wink

Ephiane

Ephiane
Did You change the colour of the belt and the higher boots ? That looks much better than the old stuff. Don´t listen to me. I ruined many of my 1:6 Stuff by " Modifiy it. Laughing But with smaller bobbles and the blue into grey the cloak maybe could like not bad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum