OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 26]

83Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:09 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Apologies for spamming the thread, but I have some questions regarding *modifying* seamless bodies (not painting-related). I searched, but couldn't find a thread dedicated to that specifically -- should I start a new one, or is there already a space for discussing it somewhere that I missed? I just wanted to ask before going too far off-topic here...

Well, you haven't spammed it yet. Smile If it is a question not dealing with the above (which is about painting), why not start a new topic/thread in the general talk section?

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

84Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:03 pm

skywalkersaga

Thanks, will do! Just had wanted to make sure I hadn't missed an existing one. : )

85Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
While it’s not necessarily about painting the whole body, has anyone beside Very Cool had luck applying tattoos to a seamless body?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 C8485110

86Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:29 am

Aria

GubernatorFan, translucent powder is also known as setting powder in the makeup works, and some companies, like Laura Mercier, make translucent setting powder specifically for darker tones. Some of that might help keep your Finn body from getting dulled down with light setting powder. Smile

87Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:04 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Aria wrote:GubernatorFan, translucent powder is also known as setting powder in the makeup works, and some companies, like Laura Mercier, make translucent setting powder specifically for darker tones.  Some of that might help keep your Finn body from getting dulled down with light setting powder. Smile

Thank you, Aria, I will keep that in mind in future. Just in case you happen to know, any tips for a powder with the appropriate properties (i.e., good for silicone and keeping it non-tacky) that does not show up too obviously in flash photos?

88Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:39 am

Aria

GubernatorFan wrote:
Aria wrote:GubernatorFan, translucent powder is also known as setting powder in the makeup works, and some companies, like Laura Mercier, make translucent setting powder specifically for darker tones.  Some of that might help keep your Finn body from getting dulled down with light setting powder. Smile

Thank you, Aria, I will keep that in mind in future. Just in case you happen to know, any tips for a powder with the appropriate properties (i.e., good for silicone and keeping it non-tacky) that does not show up too obviously in flash photos?

The white, translucent powders show up the most, and so does too much of it. Use a flesh-toned powder, which can be anything from peachy to darker, anything but the powder-white stuff, press it onto the figure, and dust off any that's left over before photos. Use a diffuser over the flash. A diffuser itself won't entirely eliminate the issue, but will help, especially in combination with using a powder other than the super white stuff.

Try to avoid powders with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which is in SPF formulas. Those are meant to deflect UV rays, but will also reflect flash. Avoid silica as well, which is mostly found in HD powders. CoverFX Perfect Setting Powder is a good bet. Not cheap, but we all know this hobby isn't cheap. Smile

89Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I find reborn dolls incredibly creepy and shudder-inducing, but I came upon this tutorial on how to paint them today and immediately thought of this thread! I’m assuming most seamless bodies are made of silicone so perhaps the paints referred to here would work?

(Tw for creepy babies/body horror at the start)

https://donnaleeoriginals.com/siliconetutorial.html

90Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh my god, I feel the same way, Lynkhart!!! I can barely stand to look at them....shudder!! O.O

That being said, I really appreciate you sharing this info here! Hopefully something good can come out of those terrors, lmao.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

91Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That paint mix could be a possibility— but, yeah. EWWW! Those babies seem like some creepy “can’t let go” sort of thing.

92Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:49 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Aria wrote:The white, translucent powders show up the most, and so does too much of it.  Use a flesh-toned powder, which can be anything from peachy to darker, anything but the powder-white stuff, press it onto the figure, and dust off any that's left over before photos.  Use a diffuser over the flash.  A diffuser itself won't entirely eliminate the issue, but will help, especially in combination with using a powder other than the super white stuff. Try to avoid powders with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which is in SPF formulas.  Those are meant to deflect UV rays, but will also reflect flash.  Avoid silica as well, which is mostly found in HD powders.  CoverFX Perfect Setting Powder is a good bet.  Not cheap, but we all know this hobby isn't cheap. Smile

Thank you for the advice, will keep it in mind.

Lynkhart wrote:I find reborn dolls incredibly creepy and shudder-inducing, but I came upon this tutorial on how to paint them today and immediately thought of this thread! I’m assuming most seamless bodies are made of silicone so perhaps the paints referred to here would work?

I agree, they are incredibly creepy, but thank you for providing the link. It is definitely an interesting tutorial or description, and it seems to lead to impressive results. That said, it seems to be more applicable to bigger (even 1:1) dolls, and subtler and semi-translucent coloring which might not be enough for the usual type of 1:6 customs. At any rate, working with special silicone coloring systems has always been an ideal solution, but also quite complicated and perhaps impractical for most of our limited purposes.

93Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I may have found an option for painting seamless figures. There’s a company out there called Smooth-On that makes silicone mold-making products and pigments. I called them this morning and they think they have an option that could work. The pigment itself is super concentrated (called Silc-Pig), much like when you go to the hardware store to get paint, it doesn’t take much to get the color you want; then you add it to Sil-poxy Rubber Adhesive (this stuff is super thick), so it has to be diluted with Smooth-On NOVOCS Matte silicone solvent (this can be thinned down to any consistency, including the ability to use it with an air-brush). I ordered all three of these things off Amazon, and I’ll let you know what the results are. Altogether it cost about $112.00 for all this stuff.

94Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I may have found an option for painting seamless figures. There’s a company out there called Smooth-On that makes silicone mold-making products and pigments. I called them this morning and they think they have an option that could work. The pigment itself is super concentrated (called Silc-Pig), much like when you go to the hardware store to get paint, it doesn’t take much to get the color you want; then you add it to Sil-poxy Rubber Adhesive (this stuff is super thick), so it has to be diluted with Smooth-On NOVOCS Matte silicone solvent (this can be thinned down to any consistency, including the ability to use it with an air-brush). I ordered all three of these things off Amazon, and I’ll let you know what the results are. Altogether it cost about $112.00 for all this stuff.

I hope it works, but my experience has not been encouraging. I have experimented with Silc-Pig for years, mixing it with silicone glue (admittedly, not the same one you mention), and have on occasion attempted to thin it down (again not the same solvent). It worked poorly when I tried (though not air-brushing). The results were uneven; the best was when painting a small and concentrated area (like a nipple) -- the pigmented silicone stuck reasonably strongly, although if you really wanted to you could peel it off. Do remember to remove as much of the protective powder as you can before you start (it's easy to forget). The combination between the specific products you list above and air-brushing might lead to a better result, so let us know how it worked out. I personally gave up on that after Ephiane's breakthrough with the oil pastels.

95Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:44 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Question about prepping the seamless body for the oil pastel method -- once the figure is washed, how long should I let it dry?

I thought it was better to let it air-dry, or else I might get 'fluff' from the paper towel on it. But it's somewhat difficult to tell if it's dry or not yet, given that it's now extremely sticky to the touch.

96Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:30 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
If it’s extremely sticky, you should be good to go.

My first attempt with the silc-pig was a failure. Going to make another attempt with a different bonding agent — I’ll let you know.

97Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah ok, thanks!

And oh no.... wishing you luck on the next try!

98Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Good question, to which I simply don't remember the answer. I washed with lukewarm water, and then dabbed it thoroughly with paper towels (the thick quilted kind that don't fall apart easily) to where I could see no obvious signs of wetness (and there was no fluff). Then it's oil pastel time.

Mark, I am sorry to hear the experiment didn't work -- although more serious and advanced than them, it does seem to confirm my own attempts. Remember mixing silk pig with actual silicone glue is still an option, at least for small stuff. And it being "reversible" (really, "peelable") might actually be a good thing.

99Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ok....immediately i have run into a problem: the makeup sponge keeps 'sticking' to the seamless body. It's blending the colour into it just fine, but leaving residue from the sponge onto the body in the process. I'm not even sure how to fix that, or if I've totally wrecked it now! :/

What kind of makeup sponge are you supposed to blend it with???

100Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:21 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Ok....immediately i have run into a problem: the makeup sponge keeps 'sticking' to the seamless body. It's blending the colour into it just fine, but leaving residue from the sponge onto the body in the process. I'm not even sure how to fix that, or if I've totally wrecked it now! :/

Don't panic. I don't know if there is a specific type to use, or a specific type not to use (though you seem to have discovered that -- I am assuming you mean parts of the actual sponge are becoming loose and sticking to the body). Try using one of those small travel-sized lint rollers to pick up stuff that shouldn't be on the body (though now that the body is sticky, it would be harder to pick it up). Or go carefully by hand or tweezers -- patience is something we need with this hobby from time to time. If you are not doing so already, try using a specially designated blending sponge (I noticed some of mine had that description on the packaging).

By the way, if your colors are blending, you're already ahead of the curve.

101Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Ok....immediately i have run into a problem: the makeup sponge keeps 'sticking' to the seamless body. It's blending the colour into it just fine, but leaving residue from the sponge onto the body in the process. I'm not even sure how to fix that, or if I've totally wrecked it now! :/

Don't panic. I don't know if there is a specific type to use, or a specific type not to use (though you seem to have discovered that -- I am assuming you mean parts of the actual sponge are becoming loose and sticking to the body). Try using one of those small travel-sized lint rollers to pick up stuff that shouldn't be on the body (though now that the body is sticky, it would be harder to pick it up). Or go carefully by hand or tweezers -- patience is something we need with this hobby from time to time. If you are not doing so already, try using a specially designated blending sponge (I noticed some of mine had that description on the packaging).

By the way, if your colors are blending, you're already ahead of the curve.

Thanks for the calming advice, GF.  :'D

I'm still not really sure what happened there -- I had decided to experiment on parts of the body that wouldn't be showing by trying different colours and also making layers, but then it just started looking weird and almost 'scaly'. O.o  It could have been coming off the sponge, or might have been partially some residue from the pastels themselves that was sort of 'caking' on the surface of the body.... it was like, it blended a little, but then started building up a bit perhaps. But i was also worried that maybe the sponge I was using might have been scraping the silicone itself and that the residue on it was from that.

Weirdly, the parts that I *hadn't* blended with the sponge and had just applied one single layer of colour directly looked better and smoother. But I can't achieve the colour I want without several layers, so.... :/

I've taken a little break from applying the pastels and decided to try to wash the body to see what happened, just in some some soap and water. It does seem to have removed the residue and some of the 'caking' bits, leaving the underlying colour.  I was panicking also that maybe I hadn't washed it thoroughly enough to begin with, and that perhaps the residue was actually the pastels sticking to the tbleague powder. So i thought giving it a wash might help... at least that way, the parts I hadn't 'painted' yet might still be useable.

Once it dries again, I'll try to muster the courage to keep working on it... :3

102Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:28 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the calming advice, GF.  :'D

I'm still not really sure what happened there -- I had decided to experiment on parts of the body that wouldn't be showing by trying different colours and also making layers, but then it just started looking weird and almost 'scaly'. O.o  It could have been coming off the sponge, or might have been partially some residue from the pastels themselves that was sort of 'caking' on the surface of the body.... it was like, it blended a little, but then started building up a bit perhaps. But i was also worried that maybe the sponge I was using might have been scraping the silicone itself and that the residue on it was from that.

Weirdly, the parts that I *hadn't* blended with the sponge and had just applied one single layer of colour directly looked better and smoother. But I can't achieve the colour I want without several layers, so.... :/

I've taken a little break from applying the pastels and decided to try to wash the body to see what happened, just in some some soap and water. It does seem to have removed the residue and some of the 'caking' bits, leaving the underlying colour.  I was panicking also that maybe I hadn't washed it thoroughly enough to begin with, and that perhaps the residue was actually the pastels sticking to the tbleague powder. So i thought giving it a wash might help... at least that way, the parts I hadn't 'painted' yet might still be useable.

Once it dries again, I'll try to muster the courage to keep working on it... :3

Welcome. I was off running an errand, and thought to myself I should suggest to you simply to wash the body again, but am glad you tried that anyway, with success. You really can pat/dab it dry, unless you have some particularly unhardy paper towels that will leave remnants stuck on it. Isn't it neat how the color sticks to the body, even if some of the water from washing it seems to run with a bit of dye?

Anyway, caking is normal when working with pastels of any sort on any sort of surface. You are probably not scraping the silicone "skin" or at least not enough to damage it. The use of the makeup sponge is specifically to rub the color more into the surface and to remove excess oil pastel, so your second description seems to indicate this was in fact normal. Keep going over it with the sponge until no oil pastel rubs off from the surface onto cloth or paper towel that you use to test it. Washing it with water is fine, but be careful with soap -- if you go back to earlier posts from Ephiane, you will see it is used to make the skin shinier, and that may or may not be what you want -- of course this might be a different process so it might not apply.

103Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:50 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:

Welcome. I was off running an errand, and thought to myself I should suggest to you simply to wash the body again, but am glad you tried that anyway, with success. You really can pat/dab it dry, unless you have some particularly unhardy paper towels that will leave remnants stuck on it. Isn't it neat how the color sticks to the body, even if some of the water from washing it seems to run with a bit of dye?

Anyway, caking is normal when working with pastels of any sort on any sort of surface. You are probably not scraping the silicone "skin" or at least not enough to damage it. The use of the makeup sponge is specifically to rub the color more into the surface and to remove excess oil pastel, so your second description seems to indicate this was in fact normal. Keep going over it with the sponge until no oil pastel rubs off from the surface onto cloth or paper towel that you use to test it. Washing it with water is fine, but be careful with soap -- if you go back to earlier posts from Ephiane, you will see it is used to make the skin shinier, and that may or may not be what you want -- of course this might be a different process so it might not apply.

Oh, phew, I'm glad most of what I was experiencing is 'normal'. And yes, it was really neat to see how well the colour had taken to the silicone!

I just tried dabbing with the paper towel and it seems to be fine...I think I was just being overly paranoid. ;p

And thanks for the reminder about the soap making it shiny.... I decided to use the soap cause the only parts I had coloured were those that weren't going to show, so I was actually kind of curious to see the effect. I used type of handsoap that had tea tree oil in it, and this seemed to work ok. But even if it had turned extremely shiny, I was still interested to see what that looked like vs. the more matte appearance. As is probably obvious, I'm attempting to do some SW aliens, and so I've perhaps got a little more wiggle room with skin surface texture. Though, I do personally prefer a 'matte' finish for most things, but thought it was worth risking some soap to get the residue off, either way.

104Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 5 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:17 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I went back over the earlier posts, and the shiny skin trick apparently includes specifically rubbing the body with some soap and water on the sponge (and then presumably letting it set in/dry). Normal use of soap is certainly ok when you first prepare the body for painting (to remove the protective powder) and that apparently has no effect on shininess. What happens if you wash the painted body with soap and water, I don't know or recall if I did that with mine (or if I just used water). Mine haven't turned shiny. And remember to reapply protective powder when you are all done, although there is a theory that the oil pastel itself protects the silicone surface a bit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 26]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum