OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Ephiane

He is absolute fantastic ! It must be a very hard Job th get the body paintings symetric to the other body side. You light sabre effects are amazing, they are better as in the older pictures. You masterd this

Stryker2011

Founding Father
The red is so much better than the previous version (or is that partly because the color has faded a bit, as you mentioned)...? Looks really good.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:He is absolute fantastic ! It must be a very hard Job th get the body paintings symetric to the other body side. You light sabre effects are amazing, they are better than in the older pictures. You masterd this

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it. Yes, symmetry is a problem. Sometimes I end up having to make extra designs to match mismatching elements. Sometimes I decide to let it slide (giving it a more "organic" look). Smile I appreciate you like the light saber effects, because they are super basic -- and I'm partly too lazy and partly too unskilled to do better. I do change the length and perspective, but though I try I think I often fail to make the concave or convex curve where the "blade" comes out of the hilt curve just right.

Stryker2011 wrote:The red is so much better than the previous version (or is that partly because the color has faded a bit, as you mentioned)...? Looks really good.

Thank you very much, glad you liked it. Looking at the older photos above, I think Maul 1.0 was always less of a match and I'm not sure to what extent (if any) his base color has faded -- it does look a little messier to me, perhaps in part because I know how much effort I put into stopping the oil-based ink from transferring. Maul 2.0's base color is warmer, and that helps (certainly with the hands and feet, but even with the head). I wish it were just a little darker, but red, scarlet, and purple only got me this far -- plus I didn't want to do more damage to the chest and other areas where I was trying to blend them while ensconcing them more securely into the silicone. That's why (the resulting rougher surface) the edges of the designs there are less sharp than on Maul 1.0.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great job on your Darth Maul custom, well done!

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Love seeing your work buddy. So freaking cool. Great job.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Awesome!!! I agree, this red is really striking — like him a lot!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great job on your Darth Maul custom, well done!

Thank you very much, glad you like it.

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:Love seeing your work buddy.  So freaking cool. Great job.

Thank you very much, this is quite the compliment.

skywalkersaga wrote:Awesome!!! I agree, this red is really striking — like him a lot!

Thank you very much. I'm glad you agree -- one more reason to justify this second Maul experiment. And now we have the answer to the paint marker question. Smile

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Man, Maul 2.0 is looking so rad. I like this body type even more, and the coloring is beautiful. Seriously, so killer!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Man, Maul 2.0 is looking so rad.  I like this body type even more, and the coloring is beautiful.  Seriously, so killer!

Thank you very much, Adam, I'm glad you liked him. I also think the body and the color are an improvement on the first one.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part V: Custom Maul 3.0

Experimenting with using Gundam Real Touch Markers to color an entire body resulted in yet anther seamless Maul. The photos below are not in the best light, and make the coloring look even more faded and light than it is, but you can also check out the new installment of the Further Adventures of Darth Maul linked below for more photos.

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt231

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt232

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt233

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2799-star-wars-the-further-adventures-of-darth-maul-updated-with-part-iii-may-2021#57171

Update: with the hope of unfiltered natural daylight showing the color better, I took a few more photos, below:

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt249

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt250

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt251

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt252

Chip

I not seen any of this before , He is one of my favourite Characters from the newer movies , you done him proud Ian amazing work . Well done .

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
You are the master at coloring the seamless body my friend. I didn't think it was possible to improve this, but yet you have. He looks great!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
I'm not really into this character so much, but the coloring/painting technique is terrific! Did you do that totally freehand or use stencils as masks?

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great work Ian!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Chip wrote:I not seen any of this before , He is one of my favourite Characters from the newer movies , you done him proud Ian amazing work . Well done .

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like him. He will make some further appearances.

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:You are the master at coloring the seamless body my friend. I didn't think it was possible to improve this, but yet you have. He looks great!

Thank you for the kind words for what I feel is a qualified success, but still has promise. Perhaps with more patience and effort it would have been even better.

tankgirlfuzzy wrote:I'm not really into this character so much, but the coloring/painting technique is terrific! Did you do that totally freehand or use stencils as masks?

Thank you, I appreciate this, and can relate. I'm neither into that part of the franchise nor a Maul fanboy (although I'm sure it looks like I am), while I think he was underused/wasted by the original plot, but he is a pretty natural challenge when it comes to painting seamless bodies in more than a single color. The first two versions used oil pastel for the base color (red) and then different kinds of markers (or marker ink) for the black designs; this one was the first to be all markers, of a different kind. It was freehand, no stencils, hence some unevenness and mistakes (which I tried to mitigate by adding a bit more detail/complexity) -- then again, I'm rationalizing it as natural variation in warpaint. Wink

BAMComix wrote:Great work Ian!

Thank you very much, glad you liked it.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Well, your freehand is clean and crisp enough to look like an airbrushed stencil, so great job!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Well, your freehand is clean and crisp enough to look like an airbrushed stencil, so great job!

Thank you for the compliment. I'm just glad it came out pretty decent. Speaking of which, as I suspected, unfiltered normal daylight actually helps show the color better. I'm updating the Maul 3.0 post with these:

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt249

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt250

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt251

Custom - STAR WARS Updated Darth Maul Custom Part V Maul 3.0 (updated May 13 2021) - Page 3 Swdmt252

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, wow, I love the outdoor lighting. I liked your original Maul figures, but somehow this version seems even more naturalistic.

I am wondering whether one could combine oil pastel on top of the marker-coloured bodies for enhancing the colour tones? Or would it not really make much difference?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh, wow, I love the outdoor lighting. I liked your original Maul figures, but somehow this version seems even more naturalistic. I am wondering whether one could combine oil pastel on top of the marker-coloured bodies for enhancing the colour tones? Or would it not really make much difference?

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked the new photos in outdoor light. It does do it more justice. I have not yet gotten to experimenting with these markers on (or under) oil pastel. But I would be loath to put oil pastel atop the smaller areas left after the two-color coloring of this particular body -- for one thing you cannot get sufficient precision in finer lines and corners, for another you need to allow for spreading/smearing.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Nothing can beat outdoor light. He looks fantastic. Aww, i really love this Jedi Killer I love you It must be very hard to get the body paint symetrical, but You get it. Has he got a PERS ? Anyway, it´s nice to see a HS with that looks not straight. I think it´s good for posing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Nothing can beat outdoor light. He looks fantastic. Aww, i really love this Jedi Killer I love you It must be very hard to get the body paint symetrical, but You get it. Has he got a PERS ? Anyway, it´s nice to see a HS with that looks not straight. I think it´s good for posing

Very true about outdoor lighting. But I have few places around my yard where neighbors won't spot me "playing with dolls." Sad And I don't have the self-confidence some of our members have. Wink Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked the new Maul experiment. Yes, keeping the design symmetrical (one wonders whether it actually need be symmetrical) is difficult, and then things came out uneven, I had to fix them as best I could -- either extending line (simple), or redoubling elements (which made the design busier). The headsculpt is one of the two HT PERS head sculpts from their first (?) Maul (not the one based on the movie Solo). I also picked up a third party, slightly smaller head sculpt for my second Maul (which used an M33 body instead of an M30). You can see all three in the Oops thread.
If you like this Maul, I also put together a little silent photo story here:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2799-star-wars-the-further-adventures-of-darth-maul-updated-with-part-iii-may-2021#57167

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thanks for being so honest, Gube. You have to see it that way : You are a Artist and You made some pictures of art. I have no Problem with Dolls. Dolls can be so much important for children. They can be a Friend, if they are afraid and they can sleep together with them in their beds. Dolls has to be cute, soft and warm that for, made with cozy fabrik like teddy bears. The 1:6 FIGURES we work with are not cute, they have cold hard bodys with steel skeletons.

Args.... a Darth Maul with Pers... have to check my wallet Laughing And i have no Jedi to interact with Maul. Just a simple Twi´lek Smuggler. Maul will finished her with one hit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum