OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

House of Seasons X Replicade

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1House of Seasons X Replicade Empty House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:59 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I know there's been talk of the Replicade arcade cabinets, so I finally got around to getting some pictures for mine.

I don't think this is the best photo shoot I've done, but I still wanted to share.  I got the Replicade Tempest arcade cabinet for Christmas, and I Kickstartered the change machine last year and it arrived a few weeks ago.  I was dying to shoot them together, but it was a real learning experience getting these photos to come out right.  I wanted the screen and game marquee to be visibly lit up, but still really clear.  The solution turned out to revolve around getting all my camera settings to be optimal for these 2 features, then to adjust the lighting for the rest of the scene to match.  I actually got a few shots with a current iphone camera that did a great job of doing everything automatically, but I wanted to figure out how to shoot this properly.  I still have a long way to go as a photographer, but I'm feeling pretty good with the results here.  Will probably revisit this again in the future.  

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade001_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade002_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade003_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade004_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade005_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade006_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade007_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade008_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade009_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade010_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade011_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade012_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade013_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade014_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade015_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade016_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade017_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade018_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade019_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade020_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade021_orig

House of Seasons X Replicade Arcade022_orig

2House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:35 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think it worked out just great. The photos, the presentation, the figures and their posing, everything. There is just one tiny problem when it comes to realism... while there are plenty of female video game enthusiasts, not only is that more typically a male pastime, but supposedly the enjoyment of watching someone else play a videogame is a specifically male thing -- or so I have been told by more than one female. Smile

3House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:49 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:I think it worked out just great. The photos, the presentation, the figures and their posing, everything. There is just one tiny problem when it comes to realism... while there are plenty of female video game enthusiasts, not only is that more typically a male pastime, but supposedly the enjoyment of watching someone else play a videogame is a specifically male thing -- or so I have been told by more than one female. Smile

Thanks GubernatorFan! Yeah, I may be being overly critical, but I was so focused on the lighting and camera settings, I didn't spend as much time just "playing" as I often do.

And I think my gaming circle is pretty split along gender lines. My partner and I are playing Borderlands 3 together now, and we do a lot of co-op games (Gears 5 is on deck). She's also pretty brutal at DOA. I have a friend who I keep meaning to play online with as well, who was bragging she finally got her husband to start playing with her, so it'll be a nice quarantine double date. Laughing And who doesn't get excited when your friend is going for a high score!

4House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:03 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Photos turned out great, Rev. Nice to see you playing around with your figures; and them playing games together. Neat little machines.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

House of Seasons X Replicade C8485110

5House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Awesome photos! You may not consider yourself a great photographer, but to my eyes this is amazing. You have a real sense for it. And I’m constantly in awe of how well you pose (and compose) your figures in a way that makes them seem like they are interacting naturally with one another as well as with the props and scenery.

And ha ... Is it crazy I feel kinda envious of these characters.... going out and having fun times at an arcade while we’re all stuck at home. Laughing In all seriousness I love the sense of camraderie here — you do get the feeling that they are all curious or on edge of their seats about her score.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

6House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:56 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Looks good to me. I have a couple of Replicade cabinets and haven't worked out how to take a decent photo of them yet. Your tips should help.

7House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
You did a pretty good job altogether as the lighting on the machine screens and the overall lighting are well balanced. This is a big part of what a commercial photography student has to learn in his training as he'll often be called to do it on a commercial job. Basically, you have it exactly right; you have set your camera to properly expose for the one light that you can't control, in this case the VDT and adjust the main lighting until it balances. It's trial and error to a point, though if you have an adjustable SLR, tripod and a handheld meter, you can really speed up the process. Well done.

8House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:13 pm

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Such a cool retro setup, and a colorful cast of gamer girls to bring it to life. Even if they aren't all gamers, in real life they'd at least be there to chat with each other and hang out in general, I'd think. Who is the girl with the ram horns btw? Has she been introduced before and I overlooked the post?

Also, apparently these replicades are fully functional, wow. How challenging is it to actually play a game with the tiny buttons and stick? lol

9House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:52 am

Ovy

Ovy
Of course it's Thornapple on the Arcade, Neeeeerd!

Delia is sending out some Marrow vibes.

Great job, has a New Retro feel overall.

And  AlKel, the horn...horned one is called Isblomma of Winter I I remember correctly, she's been on the team for a while now. She has quite the cool mask.

10House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:06 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:Photos turned out great, Rev. Nice to see you playing around with your figures; and them playing games together. Neat little machines.

Thanks Stryker!  I was just saying in another thread too that photos really are the excuse to just sit and play for hours.  Never growing up!And yeah, the Replicade stuff is awesome.  I didn't even mention that the change machine is also a functional USB charging hub, so if you have a whole arcade worth, you can plug all the cabinets in to the change machine.  Although also worth mentioning is the battery life on the machines themselves is excellent.  The company really does put out stellar products.

skywalkersaga wrote:Awesome photos! You may not consider yourself a great photographer, but to my eyes this is amazing. You have a real sense for it. And I’m constantly in awe of how well you pose (and compose) your figures in a way that makes them seem like they are interacting naturally with one another as well as with the props and scenery.

And ha ... Is it crazy I feel kinda envious of these characters.... going out and having fun times at an arcade while we’re all stuck at home. Laughing In all seriousness I love the sense of camraderie here — you do get the feeling that they are all curious or on edge of their seats about her score.

Thank you so much Skywalkersaga!!  That means so much to hear.  Getting across that sense of relationship is the biggest part of this for me, and what I am always trying to share.  The House of Seasons story is probably as much if not more about this friendship between these characters than it even is about the larger world issues.  I think I gravitate towards that in any fiction I read too, all the smaller personal moments.  The slice of life stuff that really defines who they are to each other.  I have a lot more I want to reveal about their relationships in future photos.  And I do miss those kinda nights out right now, even if I am enjoying having more time for projects and photoshoots (There's a great Barcade by me with a great beer selection, killer bar food, and an epic arcade selection).  I might be living a bit vicariously with this shoot.  Maybe an upcoming shoot will have to be a cozy night in.   Laughing

As for photography, I just still have so much to learn.  I'm always looking at photos and thinking "How can I capture that kind of mood/feeling?"  It's silly, but figuring this one out was a big victory for me, and made me feel a bit more capable. But the encouragement here always makes me feel like charging forward and is hugely inspirational.

shazzdan wrote:Looks good to me. I have a couple of Replicade cabinets and haven't worked out how to take a decent photo of them yet. Your tips should help.

Thanks Shazzdan!  Would love to see once you do!  They really are cool, right?  And yeah, it was a bit tricky, so I do hope the advice is useful.  

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:You did a pretty good job altogether as the lighting on the machine screens and the overall lighting are well balanced. This is a big part of what a commercial photography student has to learn in his training as he'll often be called to do it on a commercial job.  Basically, you have it exactly right; you have set your camera to properly expose for the one light that you can't control, in this case the VDT and adjust the main lighting until it balances.  It's trial and error to a point, though if you have an adjustable SLR, tripod and a handheld meter, you can really speed up the process. Well done.

Thank you ThePhotogsBlog!  Man, I am psyched that I figured that out, and that it was the right solution.  I was really struggling for a bit on this one.  Appreciate the confirmation I'm on the right track!

AlKelAstra91 wrote:Such a cool retro setup, and a colorful cast of gamer girls to bring it to life. Even if they aren't all gamers, in real life they'd at least be there to chat with each other and hang out in general, I'd think. Who is the girl with the ram horns btw? Has she been introduced before and I overlooked the post?

Also, apparently these replicades are fully functional, wow. How challenging is it to actually play a game with the tiny buttons and stick? lol

Thank you AlKelAstra!  So glad you enjoyed!  Yeah, I really like the idea of them all just hanging out together like that.  Arcade machines always had that social vibe for me growing up, and I wanted to capture a bit of that feel.  And big thanks to Ovy mentioning Isblomma!  If you want to check out her thread at:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t855-isblomma-of-winter-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

I think there's some cool stuff in there (if I do say so myself).

And I wholeheartedly endorse the Replicade cabinets.  They're even more stunning in person, and they seem really committed to faithfully recreating the original.  They had a whole thing in the Kickstarter updates about getting just the right color LED for the out of service light on the change machine.   I appreciate the hell out of that.  And it's actually really fun to play (I enjoyed tempest even more than I realized).  There are actually 2 interchangeable knobs for it, one that's in scale and another that's a little bigger and easier to play with.  Both work though.  

Ovy wrote:Of course it's Thornapple on the Arcade, Neeeeerd!

Delia is sending out some Marrow vibes.

Great job, has a New Retro feel overall.

And  AlKel, the horn...horned one is called Isblomma of Winter I I remember correctly, she's been on the team for a while now. She has quite the cool mask.

So glad you dig it Ovy!  Yeah, Thornapple is definitely the nerdiest.  It seemed a good fit for her to be the most excited.  And Delia and Marrow would probably get on quite well, now that you mention it.  Huge thanks for the callout on Isblomma!  Means so much that you remembered her and her mask!

11House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:21 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks really great, I like the lady with the horns the most. I know that there are some mini arcades on the market but where did you get the change machine?

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! House of Seasons X Replicade 1f60e

12House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Theboo-bomb wrote:I know that there are some mini arcades on the market but where did you get the change machine?
They all come from the same place
https://newwavetoys.com/

Looks like their Centipede console isn't available any more

13House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:54 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shazzdan wrote:
Theboo-bomb wrote:I know that there are some mini arcades on the market but where did you get the change machine?
They all come from the same place
https://newwavetoys.com/

Looks like their Centipede console isn't available any more

Yup, all from NewWaveToys/Replicades. I did the kickstarter for the change machine, but they have on the site as well. It's such a shame the Centipede one isn't available. I think that might be the one I want the most. Although I will probably pick up the Dragon's Lair one when it comes out.

14House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:03 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
The Centipede one is my favourite too. I read somewhere that they are working on Asteroids, which I would definitely buy. I won't be buying Dragon's Lair. The original was a major rip off that does not conjure up fond memories.

15House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:18 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shazzdan wrote:The Centipede one is my favourite too. I read somewhere that they are working on Asteroids, which I would definitely buy. I won't be buying Dragon's Lair. The original was a major rip off that does not conjure up fond memories.

Yeah, Dragon's Lair was PUNISHINGLY hard and completely unforgiving. But I've heard in console re-releases later, they made the timing a lot more forgiving, which I assume will get passed on to this one too. Also, I'm completely a sucker for the Don Bluth art. Honestly, I'd love if there was "demo" mode that just played the whole animation all the way through (I've watched it on youtube, but would be great on the cabinet and for photos too). And Asteroids would be a blast to have too!

16House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:40 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I had the computer version of Dragon’s Lair, and I was able to beat it — and I was never able to beat the arcade version. Clearly, once the game makers knew you were going to drop money up front for the game, they made it so that eventually you could actually beat the game.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

House of Seasons X Replicade C8485110

17House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
ReverendSpooky wrote:
shazzdan wrote:The Centipede one is my favourite too. I read somewhere that they are working on Asteroids, which I would definitely buy. I won't be buying Dragon's Lair. The original was a major rip off that does not conjure up fond memories.

Yeah, Dragon's Lair was PUNISHINGLY hard and completely unforgiving. But I've heard in console re-releases later, they made the timing a lot more forgiving, which I assume will get passed on to this one too.  Also, I'm completely a sucker for the Don Bluth art.  Honestly, I'd love if there was "demo" mode that just played the whole animation all the way through (I've watched it on youtube, but would be great on the cabinet and for photos too).  And Asteroids would be a blast to have too!

It isn't just the timing, it is gameplay, or lack of it. There is no skill involved, you just have to keep feeding money into it until you memorised the joystick sequence. Then you progress to the next scene and have to do it all over again. It came out when I was 13 or 14 and, even at that age, it didn't take long to work out that it was a rip off.

I scored a pirated copy on the Amiga in the late 80s and played it all the way through. It never mattered what you did, the game was exactly the same each time. It really isn't a game but an animated cartoon. You only got to see this cartoon all the way through after you spent an obscene amount of money on it. I find the concept offensive and exploitative.

18House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Sat May 02, 2020 4:44 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
Back in 2019 i picked up the Street Fighter II: Champion Edition x RepliCade
It plays pretty well. I took these shots of Hot Toys Harley Quinn (Prisoner version) standing in front of it.

House of Seasons X Replicade DSC05925

House of Seasons X Replicade DSC05932

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

19House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Sun May 03, 2020 12:55 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great job, ukshaun.

20House of Seasons X Replicade Empty Re: House of Seasons X Replicade Sun May 03, 2020 3:00 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ukshaun wrote:Back in 2019 i picked up the Street Fighter II: Champion Edition x RepliCade
It plays pretty well. I took these shots of Hot Toys Harley Quinn (Prisoner version) standing in front of it.

House of Seasons X Replicade DSC05925

House of Seasons X Replicade DSC05932

So cool! I've been on the fence about picking up the Street fighter one. On 1 hand, I have so many great memories of playing this in arcades when it came out, and is probably, of of all the Replicade releases, the game I most actually enjoy. But on the other, it doesn't have nearly as cool retro cabinet art as Centipede or Tempest, or the upcoming Dragon's Lair. Since the appeal is like 90% diorama piece vs 10% gameplay, I decided against getting it. But that doesn't make it any less cool, and does look great with Harley playing it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum