OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It should come as no surprise considering what many of us already did with the Disney Store version, but Hot Toys' new Krennic set is a very good place to start to recreate Colonel Yularen, an officer of the Imperial Security Bureau, from A New Hope. Or, for that matter any other Security Bureau officer (there were a total of at least three seen on screen -- Yularen with and without a black officer cap, a younger slim officer that appears twice by the elevators -- the second time alongside Yularen, and a younger rotund officer roaming the halls). It is a relatively simple kitbash.

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Yulare10

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Yulare11

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Yulare12

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Yulare13

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Yulare14

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Yulare15

Tunic, pants, boots from Hot Toys Krennic.

Belt from Hot Toys Krennic but modified and reversed for accuracy.

Officer badge modified (and mounted with magnets) from older Hasbro or Sideshow or Hot Toys set (I forget).

Officer cap from Sideshow Commander Praji.

Body and hands from World Box AT025.

Head from Damtoys Dam 78031 Sr-71 ”Black Bird” Flight Test Engineer (Donald Sutherland from Space Cowboys). The head is, of course, a remote likeness to Yularen, simply being the most similar head sculpt I know to be available; since I might want to use it for Donal Sutherland elsewhere, I have not attempted to modify it further.

What do you think?

#custom #kitbash #starwars #anewhope #anh #yularen #empire #scifi #fiction #film #male

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I think he looks excellent. Smile Also great pics. 

Thanks for explaining more in-depth about the the details of how you put this one together. The headsculpt is a striking enough resemblance [at least, from a distance!] to have caught my attention in your Krennic review photos.

I know I'm weird Laughing, but if anything, I am more tempted to try to kitbash a Yularen than even to get the actual Krennic figure -- in my case due to having a bit more sentimental attachment to, and interest in, this character for reasons I've already mentioned elsewhere. He's also a fave of my husband's, so it might be fun to surprise him with something like that at some point.  Not sure yet if I will, but it's helpful to have a bit more of an idea how to go about it if I were to decided to do so. :'D

Overall, I'm super impressed that you even decided to kitbash this character in the first place, and seeing him in 1/6 form really made my day! :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
He looks good. But, I honestly don’t remember this character from ANH.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope C8485110

Ephiane

Ephiane
You SW Guys here really inspire me do my own SW Character. He is Great. Maybe there is more likeness to that Star Wars Character than to D. Sutherland. Well choosen HS for the bash. Like the Chars from SW who are not so VIP. Very Happy Thanks for showing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:I think he looks excellent. Smile Also great pics. 

Thanks for explaining more in-depth about the the details of how you put this one together. The headsculpt is a striking enough resemblance [at least, from a distance!] to have caught my attention in your Krennic review photos.

I know I'm weird Laughing, but if anything, I am more tempted to try to kitbash a Yularen than even to get the actual Krennic figure -- in my case due to having a bit more sentimental attachment to, and interest in, this character for reasons I've already mentioned elsewhere. He's also a fave of my husband's, so it might be fun to surprise him with something like that at some point.  Not sure yet if I will, but it's helpful to have a bit more of an idea how to go about it if I were to decided to do so. :'D

Overall, I'm super impressed that you even decided to kitbash this character in the first place, and seeing him in 1/6 form really made my day! :')

Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked him. In principle I'm infinitely more attached to ANH than to Rogue One, so Yularen has an advantage for me there. On the other hand, Krennic is obviously a more fleshed-out and active character, having not only speaking parts but being the immediate antagonist in a whole film. I do like to have at least representative characters based on the different officer ranks and trooper types, so having a couple of these cream-tunic clad officers makes sense to me (I'm interpreting both as Imperial Security Bureau, although I don't know whether we're ever officially told what Krennic is supposed to be, besides being appointed director of the Death Star project).

Stryker2011 wrote:He looks good. But, I honestly don’t remember this character from ANH.

Thank you very much. He is definitely a background character and his name -- and even affiliation -- are what might be considered the most elementary level of retcon -- perhaps he is named or identified in the novelization (just a guess, I have no idea), or the character cards, and if nothing earlier, then certainly in the Hasbro Death Star conference meeting set of 1/18-scale figures. Like I mentioned above, I like to have representative characters of the different officer ranks and uniforms, which is why I recreated this character. Here are a couple of screenshots from ANH -- in fact representing the only two scenes where he appears.

Death Star conference room:
STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope Star-wars-colonel-wullf-yularen

Death Star hallway in front of elevators, with another Security Bureau officer:
STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope E6a8bedff33fb5e6974e44eba8ac3132

Ephiane wrote:You SW Guys here really inspire me do my own SW character. He is Great. Maybe there is more likeness to that Star Wars character than to D. Sutherland. Well chosen HS for the bash. Like the characters from SW who are not so VIP. Very Happy Thanks for showing

Thank you very much for the compliment! I'm glad you liked him and other background/secondary characters. I look forward to seeing what you come up with -- as with any and all of your creations.

Ovy

Ovy
Cool, it's fun how many background extras were fleshed out later, I think it's something exclusive to the Star Wars franchise.
He was your British WW2 Gentleman officer in the Clone wars. Wasn't he also the voice over guy?

I just googled the test pilot. That suit is beautiful! The price is... probably just, but argh. Like Epiphane said, head looks more.like a 'fantasy person' than Donald Sutherland, what I always like for custom characters.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:Cool, it's fun how many background extras were fleshed out later, I think it's something exclusive to the Star Wars franchise.
He was your British WW2 Gentleman officer in the Clone wars. Wasn't he also the voice over guy?

Hehe yeah, that's a great way to describe him. And I think you may be right that the voice actor for him was also the one who does the 'WWII newsreel'-style voiceovers at the beginning of every ep. Love those. :'D 

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked him. In principle I'm infinitely more attached to ANH than to Rogue One, so Yularen has an advantage for me there. On the other hand, Krennic is obviously a more fleshed-out and active character, having not only speaking parts but being the immediate antagonist in a whole film. I do like to have at least representative characters based on the different officer ranks and trooper types, so having a couple of these cream-tunic clad officers makes sense to me (I'm interpreting both as Imperial Security Bureau, although I don't know whether we're ever officially told what Krennic is supposed to be, besides being appointed director of the Death Star project).

You're welcome! Thanks again for covering this 'background' character. And yeah, of course, Krennic was the perfect antagonist for the Rogue One film and the HT figure of him seems like a good representation. I would also interpret them both as being Imperial Security Bureau, and could kind of see that as doubling as a sort of 'cover' organization for a time until the Death Star project was fully-revealed. [Just my imaginative speculation, not based on any specific source. ;p ] 

And yeah, whatever backstory and characterization Yularen can be seen to have now [or even back when ANH was released] is certainly retcon, but to me it's the sort that makes the original material even more interesting. : ) 

Agree with what everyone has said about the headsculpt... a truly inspired choice.  I love you

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
He looks cool, both on the CW and in ANH he has a rather elegant portrayal that seems to go counter to the rest of the officers with the exception of Tarkin.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope 1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m definitely going to have to rewatch the OT again. Since skywalkersaga’s Death and the Maiden thread, I’ve been trying to work myself up to possibly giving the prequels another shot... I just haven’t been successful on that front. I only made it halfway through the Last Jedi before I turned that off, and have absolutely no desire to pick that up again.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

STAR WARS Custom Colonel Yularen from A New Hope C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Cool, it's fun how many background extras were fleshed out later, I think it's something exclusive to the Star Wars franchise... I just googled the test pilot. That suit is beautiful! The price is... probably just, but argh. Like Epiphane said, head looks more.like a 'fantasy person' than Donald Sutherland, what I always like for custom characters.

Yes, those were some impressive sets. I liked the film, but not enough to collect these as sets, though I picked up a couple of the heads.

skywalkersaga wrote:You're welcome! Thanks again for covering this 'background' character. And yeah, of course, Krennic was the perfect antagonist for the Rogue One film and the HT figure of him seems like a good representation. I would also interpret them both as being Imperial Security Bureau, and could kind of see that as doubling as a sort of 'cover' organization for a time until the Death Star project was fully-revealed. [Just my imaginative speculation, not based on any specific source. ;p ] 

And yeah, whatever backstory and characterization Yularen can be seen to have now [or even back when ANH was released] is certainly retcon, but to me it's the sort that makes the original material even more interesting. : ) 

Agree with what everyone has said about the headsculpt... a truly inspired choice.  I love you

Glad you agree with my interpretation and approve of the choice of head sculpt. Although that last was, again, simply the one least dissimilar that I'm aware of. Others have come to the same conclusion independently (e.g., Asta).

Theboo-bomb wrote:He looks cool, both on the CW and in ANH he has a rather elegant portrayal that seems to go counter to the rest of the officers with the exception of Tarkin.

Thank you very much. Well, those two were really the only ones with more than just a couple of lines... Smile

Stryker2011 wrote:I’m definitely going to have to rewatch the OT again. Since skywalkersaga’s Death and the Maiden thread, I’ve been trying to work myself up to possibly giving the prequels another shot... I just haven’t been successful on that front. I only made it halfway through the Last Jedi before I turned that off, and have absolutely no desire to pick that up again.

If you don't have patience but want to review the prequels, search Youtube for the various fan-edited or abridged versions. I think there is one that reduces all three to a single movie -- I mean that if you want the cliff notes version, of course...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GF -- neat that others have had the same thought re: the sculpt. Guess he was just 'meant' to be Yularen. Wink

Stryker -- the fact that you even so much as considered watching the Prequels makes my day, lol. Seriously though, no pressure on that front... it's truly a matter of personal taste, and I totally get that. But yes, best to wash those Sequels out of your mind. Razz Enjoy your re-watch of the OT.  I love you

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
He really looks great! And definitely passes for the actor. I actually like that head sculpt a lot, and it may be a good fit for something I've been fiddling around with. I'll have to keep an eye out for it loose.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:He really looks great!  And definitely passes for the actor.  I actually like that head sculpt a lot, and it may be a good fit for something I've been fiddling around with.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it loose.  

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it (and good luck).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum