OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.


You are not connected. Please login or register

STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Besides the work on an experimental seamless Maul (version 2.0 is just about complete), I decided that the old rogue needed a ride. Seen briefly in The Phantom Menace, the speeder was apparently called the "Bloodfin" -- though I imagine that was invented, like so much else in Star Wars, after the fact. Even if I finally found the stunning Hot Toys version (from the deluxe set) parted out by itself, it was not money I could justify to myself spending on something like this. So I took a look at the Hasbro ride from the 12-inch figure line, produced in 1999, and decided that it was good enough to try to customize. These figures and accessories haven't held up well compared to more modern lines, and are both readily available and relatively cheap, while still being quite useful for the kitbasher. The size and proportions of this vehicle seemed about right, so I got one and the project began.

Keeping in mind that the real thing never existed as a physical object (the actor was filmed riding a blue-wrapped object later replaced with the machine digitally), I based my custom on the film and the Hot Toys version. The main thing was a repaint -- getting the colors to be darker and a little closer together, sprucing up the silverish metal parts with chrome, adding a wash and some chrome highlights for some of the internal chips and wires, adding a makeshift texture to the appropriate areas (seat, backrest, etc). The brush strokes and the uneven effects are partly unavoidable but in this instance largely intended to help create a worn, used look. I did not attempt to duplicate the very cool but actually unrealistic scratching on the Hot Toys version -- though I had a plan to do some scratches that fell through (who would have thought the acrylics would have been too tough this one time, failing to reveal the chrome layer I had painstakingly applied underneath them!). I had to use some hot-water/cold-water retraining for the controls, and tried to fill in the deep screw holes on the right side of the speeder with Kneadatite (which was tricky, as it tended to either bubble up above or sink below the surface level). The project suffered a setback when I tried to seal the painted vehicle with Dullcote, which caused some of the long-dry acrylic to bleed and transfer. While I managed to fix the more obvious problems, I have a feeling it doesn't look as well as it did before this.
So here it is...

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Hbmc0110

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Hbmc0210

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Hbmc0310

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Hbmc0410

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Hbmc0111

Hope you liked it.

#starwars #darthmaul #bloodfin #speeder #machine #vehicle #accessory #scifi #fantasy


_________________
I'll be back!
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I think it looks great for an older model, a shade darker than the original (but perhaps more fitting for Sith colors in general). Fun fact: Darth Maul was my favorite as a kid; I have fond memories of going to Taco Bell almost every day when the Episode I toys were advertised in their kid's meals, always hoping to get a Darth Maul toy of some kind, and when I finally got the one of him on this speeder I was ecstatic. lol

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I think it turned out really cool for what it is/started as, Ian. Nice job. I never would have known all the trouble you went through to accomplish that look, so your efforts really paid off. cheers


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Bnp4ba10
Credit to greygoose for the signature card

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
AlKelAstra91 wrote:I think it looks great for an older model, a shade darker than the original (but perhaps more fitting for Sith colors in general). Fun fact: Darth Maul was my favorite as a kid; I have fond memories of going to Taco Bell almost every day when the Episode I toys were advertised in their kid's meals, always hoping to get a Darth Maul toy of some kind, and when I finally got the one of him on this speeder I was ecstatic. lol

Thanks, I'm glad you agree, and that it has brought back some fond memories for you. It is darker, less shiny, and more gritty, just as it should be. Apart from the HT version, this is what we have to go on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIEHeV8dEKs

I'm still considering getting some scratches on it. But the digital imagery used for the actual film might not be the best guide. More Maul coming up in a couple of different topics.

Stryker2011 wrote:I think it turned out really cool for what it is/started as, Ian. Nice job. I never would have known all the trouble you went through to accomplish that look, so your efforts really paid off. cheers

Thank you very much, Mark. Well, someone who knew what he was doing better than I would have had less trouble. For example, I tried to keep track of the proportions of paint I was mixing but every mistake meant some more or less substantial repaint, as the new application was never quite the same as the previous one; and I should have used Vallejo matte finish -- which is not very matte but would have been ok for the metal, instead of Dullcote. Still planning on some improvements for the lit-up elements (which don't actually light up here), which I will post in an update down the line.


_________________
I'll be back!
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ephiane

Ephiane
You turn a Plastic surface into Metal. Looks Great ! And is has a .... Engine ? Energie Cell.... Star Wars Technologie. I used this in some bashes if You like a Light function. Very Ceap. It´s for selfmade Greeting Cards

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again S-l50010

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:You turn a Plastic surface into Metal. Looks Great ! And is has a .... Engine ? Energie Cell.... Star Wars Technologie. I used this in some bashes if You like a Light function. Very Ceap. It´s for selfmade Greeting Cards

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again S-l50010

Thank you very much -- that's very flattering, and I'm glad you liked it. If I were shovelchop, I would probably find a way to integrate electronics into this, but I suspect it would involve more ingenuity and drilling than I'm comfortable with. Still, I will keep this in mind -- I have an extra Hasbro speeder, which had its controls bent out of shape but I largely repaired and painted like this one. My less ambitious plan for an upgrade is with phosphorescent acrylics. We'll see how it goes, they get here tomorrow.


_________________
I'll be back!
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
This came out great!!! It's such an upgrade, and the new paint job looks awesome. I really dig how this came together.


_________________
www.reverendspooky.com
http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:This came out great!!!  It's such an upgrade, and the new paint job looks awesome.  I really dig how this came together.

Thank you very much, I'm glad and flattered you liked it. I do think the paint job works pretty well, although I confess I'm not entirely happy with the compartment doors on the two sides of the back (it was one of the areas that required repeated correction and repainting, to the point of becoming a bit of a mess; only one of them is functional, by the way). Still, I believe it is a lot closer to what we see on screen.


_________________
I'll be back!
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I've seen these float around the bay a few times and always thought they would be under scaled. I think that your repaint and overall work on it came out good and it totally changed it from something cheap looking to something cool looking.


_________________
I do this for fun, otherwise it would be my job. alien

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great job on your customized Bloodfin, it looks amazing!


_________________
vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again 2v2J6CKfFxAChVkHosted on Fotki

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:I've seen these float around the bay a few times and always thought they would be under scaled. I think that your repaint and overall work on it came out good and it totally changed it from something cheap looking to something cool looking.

Thank you very much. I think if you find one conveniently priced and/or located, you could do something very cool with it for your custom creations.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great job on your customized Bloodfin, it looks amazing!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it.


_________________
I'll be back!
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ovy

Ovy
Great paintjob, like how you fought the evil seams on the leather too! And the evil screws. Looks really high quality, pat yourself on the helmet for that (do you ever take that thing off you head?)

Still wonder why the went with that design, though. It looks a bit cute for a sinister dark bad boy as Maul. I mean his ship is long and evil, his blades are long and double evil...why not an evil long badass chopper? Maybe it's a statement about how he doesn't have to compensate.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Great paintjob, like how you fought the evil seams on the leather too! And the evil screws. Looks really high quality, pat yourself on the helmet for that (do you ever take that thing off you head?)

Still wonder why the went with that design, though. It looks a bit cute for a sinister dark bad boy as Maul. I mean his ship is long and evil, his blades are long and double evil...why not an evil long badass chopper? Maybe it's a statement about how he doesn't have to compensate.

I thought this bike design was a little silly myself— like a playground rocking horse.


_________________
Mark

He who dies with the most toys wins!

vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again Bnp4ba10
Credit to greygoose for the signature card

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I feel like the front half of the speeder's design works for the name, Bloodfin, like a bloodthirsty shark cruising through the desert sea looking for it's prey. Though I can also see how it resembles a magnet or child's toy. Would something like Anakin's in EP II have been better?
vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again B780x410

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Great paintjob, like how you fought the evil seams on the leather too! And the evil screws. Looks really high quality, pat yourself on the helmet for that (do you ever take that thing off you head?)

Still wonder why the went with that design, though. It looks a bit cute for a sinister dark bad boy as Maul. I mean his ship is long and evil, his blades are long and double evil...why not an evil long badass chopper? Maybe it's a statement about how he doesn't have to compensate.

Thank you very much. Yes, I fought the evil seams, or rather screw holes -- twice over, since I did it on the first, test, subject as well. Sooner or later you will see that one too, as with so many Mauls I'm bound to have them riding side by side eventually. I'm not necessarily in love with the design, but it is what they had in the film. And since I got a Maul anyway, I was tempted by this accessory -- which HT did beautifully. But since I wasn't tempted by their prices, I decided to experiment...

Stryker2011 wrote:I thought this bike design was a little silly myself— like a playground rocking horse.

It is silly, like some of their other designs -- a bit like their trade federation command station, etc. And it does give me the same impression, of a playground rocking horse.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:I feel like the front half of the speeder's design works for the name, Bloodfin, like a bloodthirsty shark cruising through the desert sea looking for it's prey. Though I can also see how it resembles a magnet or child's toy. Would something like Anakin's in EP II have been better?
vehicle - STAR WARS Customized Bloodfin or Darth Maul rides again B780x410

It might have been better, and Anakin's is much closer to what we might consider a classic Star Wars speeder (ROTJ type), but since I've invested in Maul, I figured I should stick to the machinery he is paired with in the film. And yes, I think you're right that they were going for a shark fin, but tried to subvert our expectations with the rest of the shape. Not to worry, the Aquatroopers don't subvert any expectations (except perhaps that the Empire is evil) Wink
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t909-star-wars-new-imperial-unit-aquatrooper-part-two


_________________
I'll be back!
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum